#101 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

People like that are what gives the US a bad rep. 

#102 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@Catarrhal said:
" It would seem, based on the majority of posts here, that many of you have never even heard of Kim Jong-il. He has consistently ranked among the world's worst dictators (if not the worst).There's nothing wrong with the review. "
Hitler was pretty bad as well, but I ain't about to talk shit about German people in general. 
#103 Posted by IBurningStar (2162 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
" @Catarrhal said:
" It would seem, based on the majority of posts here, that many of you have never even heard of Kim Jong-il. He has consistently ranked among the world's worst dictators (if not the worst).There's nothing wrong with the review. "
Hitler was pretty bad as well, but I ain't about to talk shit about German people in general.  "
Hello Godwin's Law.
#104 Posted by Tebbit (4460 posts) -

Wow, what an ignorant dolt that guy was. It amost pained me.

#105 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@IBurningStar said:
" @StaticFalconar said:
" @Catarrhal said:
Hitler was pretty bad as well, but I ain't about to talk shit about German people in general.  "
Hello Godwin's Law. "
ok, first, lols.  

But seeing as how I'm literally comparing one dictator with another, what I said is quite apt. 
#106 Posted by Gabriel (4061 posts) -

You know I never thought the day would come when people were upset over someone making fun of Kim Jong-il, the man wears high heals and looks like an old Asian woman. 

Stay classy Giantbomb.

#107 Edited by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

I don't think he should be fired, but that was totally uncalled for and extremely unprofessional. When I read or watch a video game review, just review the game, don't give me your own ignorant point of view on the state of world affairs.

Not cool, dude. 

#108 Edited by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

I thought it was hilarious. 

Also why do people keep calling him ignorant when everything he stated was basically fact? You can argue it was 'too far' or crude, but ignorant? nah.

#109 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (616 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
" I thought it was hilarious.  Also why do people keep calling him ignorant when everything he stated was basically fact? You can argue it was 'too far' or crude, but ignorant? nah. "
Because saying "South Koreans play starcraft while their babies starve in the other room" is both an extremely insulting mass-stereotype and completely irrelevant to the video game.

Look, I'm a very politically incorrect person.  I started watching that video fully expecting to defend it, as I usually do when people get butthurt over these things, but this is the first thing I've seen in a long time that legitimately is offensive to me.
#110 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

I'm more surprised that made it in the video. Obviously someone has to edit and screen things. Did he think he was being funny?

#111 Posted by BeachThunder (11828 posts) -

#112 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

I usually don't care when people make politically incorrect jokes but... that South Korea comment about the babies is a little bit too far, mainly because it's not that relevant to the game. But also because politically incorrect jokes.., the funnier they are the more you can get away with, and that one wasn't really great. But he's a reviewer not a comedian. Wasn't that great of a review either though hah.

#113 Posted by Slaker117 (4837 posts) -

Shouldn't have been allowed in, but I don't think it's worth firing him over. Both him and the editor/producer are idiots though.

#114 Posted by MOAB (374 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
" Just another example of accepted racism nowadays.  "
how was that racist?
#115 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

" The only problem we'd have if Korea invaded us is where we would pile their cold dead bodies."    That is the comment that kind of caught me off guard. Also isn't this the same show that ranted about how Other M was sexist during their review? 

#116 Posted by ___pocalypse (561 posts) -

WOW. I am pretty surprised that was cleared. Totally inappropriate, he deserves some kind of severe reprimand. I don't know if he'll get fired, but this is a really good example of why I have no interest in the G4 that exists currently. Not funny, just kind of offensive and lame :/

#117 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@SecondPersonShooter said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
" I thought it was hilarious.  Also why do people keep calling him ignorant when everything he stated was basically fact? You can argue it was 'too far' or crude, but ignorant? nah. "
Because saying "South Koreans play starcraft while their babies starve in the other room" is both an extremely insulting mass-stereotype and completely irrelevant to the video game.  Look, I'm a very politically incorrect person.  I started watching that video fully expecting to defend it, as I usually do when people get butthurt over these things, but this is the first thing I've seen in a long time that legitimately is offensive to me. "
Ah I see, so being politically incorrect is only okay when it doesn't offend you. Gotchya.
#118 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

Unless I am corrected, I would blame the writer of the audio review script.

#119 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

Although the review was bad; to be fair, North and South Korea getting together to invade the US is the stupidest idea for a game. I mean I get its a video game but jesus christ...

#120 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" " The only problem we'd have if Korea invaded us is where we would pile their cold dead bodies."    That is the comment that kind of caught me off guard. "

Totally! How the hell did that get into the final cut?

Pretty tasteless and uninformative review, even if Homefront is ass I don't think it warrants direct insults to a country that had nothing to do with the writing or development of the game.

#121 Posted by OrwellHuxZam (108 posts) -

This stuff gets screened.  If there is any offense or legal action taken, the company is liable for it being aired not Herter.  He may have written it, and it may be offensive, but Herter (and G4) is protected under the Constitution.  G4 is more a comedy channel than a journalism outlet, so I doubt anyone holds them to particularly high standards.

#122 Posted by John_Lawlz (110 posts) -

Blair just comes off as pretentious in my view, regardless of this clip. I think he should lose the job simply because he's not that funny. If this piece of content is anything worth being fired over they would have dragged Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck to the deserts of Nevada and executed them. Just my opinion....

#123 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:

" " The only problem we'd have if Korea invaded us is where we would pile their cold dead bodies."    That is the comment that kind of caught me off guard. Also isn't this the same show that ranted about how Other M was sexist during their review?  "

Yes. What I find most ironic about the review on how Other M was sexist is that G4's portrayal of women is hardly classy. That bit about South Koreans starving children while playing Starcraft really shocked me, I'm surprised they left that in the video. 

@Bocam said: 

" What the fuck was that? Though didn't x-play have a review of FES that spoiled the ending of Persona 3? "

Yeah, they spoiled the game for me when I saw their review.
#124 Posted by JoeyRavn (4964 posts) -

Yeah, that was pretty uncalled for, even if we know how bad Kim Jong-Il is and everything. It's a videogame review, not a political speech. But what I don't understand is why he rants so much about Kim Jong-Il if he explicitly says that the one leading Korea is his son, not him. He never even mentions him after that first time.

#125 Posted by Liam_mk (290 posts) -

"HOW DARE THEY MAKE A GAME WERE WE LOSE THE WAR! WE'RE AMERICA WE DON'T LOSE WARS!"  is what I got out of this review.

#126 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -
@Geno said:
" He's partially right; North Korea barely has enough money to keep its population from starving to death
And one of the main reasons why the people are starving in North Korea is that they invest a ton of they money into their army instead of their people and thus as a result have one of the largest armies in the world and by far the largest army relative to their population size. Successfully invading the US is of course still far fetched, but on the other side its hard to come by realistic scenarios where somebody has not only the gear, but also enough crazy to actually do it. North Korea at least seems to have plenty of crazy and the rest Homefront explains away by unifications with South Korea and Japan, which should bring at least some tech know how and of course they still have 15 years to actually do it.

About the review: First I was like "Hey, nobody should ever be fired for a review, those are after all opinions after all", but after watching it I was like  "Yeah, fire him". That rant was completely pointless and out of place, if you wanna make reviews, make reviews, not such bullshit talk that has nothing to do with the game.
#127 Posted by NTM (7335 posts) -

Sounds kind of like he's saying "Bring it on North Korea, I want to kick some ass." Dumb ass. Whatever though.
#128 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

I agree with him!  Video games need to be 100% plausible and realistic or else they suck automatically.

#129 Edited by Grumbel (910 posts) -
@tourgen said:

" No, seems fairly accurate to me.  Kim Jong Il is a petty little crybaby tyrant. "

Yeah, one who, in the fictional time line of Homefront, happens to die 15 years before the US invasion takes place.
#130 Edited by CornBREDX (5096 posts) -

No.

Ya the rant (at least that stab at South Korea) was harsh, but I don't see a problem (although it is tasteless being that he's reviewing a game) with him taking a poke at Kim Jong Il.

He's trying to be edgy. I'm not surprised, this is what a lot of people consider to make a reviewer "honest". I'm not saying I don't like him, but look at the popularity of Yahtzee. Need I say more?

I saw nothing wrong with his rant; it was undoubtedly misplaced, but whatever. Not really something I'd be asking for someone to lose their job over. He may want to tone it down in the reviews though, and keep the edgy to opinion based columns. But that's just me.

#131 Posted by President_Barackbar (3454 posts) -
@Grumbel said:
" @Geno said:
" He's partially right; North Korea barely has enough money to keep its population from starving to death
And one of the main reasons why the people are starving in North Korea is that they invest a ton of they money into their army instead of their people and thus as a result have one of the largest armies in the world and by far the largest army relative to their population size. Successfully invading the US is of course still far fetched, but on the other side its hard to come by realistic scenarios where somebody has not only the gear, but also enough crazy to actually do it."
Oh man, this could not be anymore wrong. As the great master Yoda once said "size matters not". Just because their army is proportionally bigger than other armies does NOT mean its any good.
#132 Posted by High_Nunez (218 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" I'm more insulted by him saying that John Milius isn't a very creative guy.  
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that. I'm thinking who the fuck is this Blair Herter guy think he is insulting the dude who wrote Apocalypse Now, directed Conan the Barbarian, and inspired the character of Walter Sobchack. What has Blair Herter done other than produce what are apparently obnoxiously snarky reviews, on a 3rd tier cable tv show.  

As for the Korea bits, I think people are overreacting. The jokes were indeed dumb, and snobby, and unprofessional; but G4 hasn't exactly had standards for awhile. It's descended into snark-being-mistaken-for-wit, and crass-being-mistaken-for-edgy territory for years. 
#133 Posted by Commisar123 (1791 posts) -

Final story the rant was just dum and had nothing to do with homefront and just made him look stupid
#134 Edited by WindFall259 (364 posts) -

Well, that was utterly distasteful. Never liked that guy anyway.

#135 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -
@President_Barackbar said:
Oh man, this could not be anymore wrong. As the great master Yoda once said "size matters not". Just because their army is proportionally bigger than other armies does NOT mean its any good. "
If you want to hold ground a lot of ground troops certainly help quite a bit. The troublesome part is getting them onto American ground in the first place, as the by far best protection America has against foreign invasion is a heck of a lot of water around them. Another unrealistic part with Homefront is that it seems to work under the assumption that North Korea actually succeeded with the invasion, it would have probably be a lot more realistic to portrait the invasion itself and the weeks/month after it, instead of letting it succeed and then jump back in two years later.

But anyway, Homefront doesn't try to prediction the future, its about showing what might happen if the US would have gotten invaded. And of course it is playing 15 years in the future, plenty of stuff can go wrong in that time.
#136 Posted by BadNews (506 posts) -

It's amazing how I find that show not amusing at all. Usually I can even laugh at the dumb penis jokes a couple other sites throw in a podcast but wow. It's like my old coworker would love that review, which all he used to do was brag about how he was going to love going home to watch football and get shitfaced at the club. Then he would go on a rant about how he loves America and how it's the best country in the world, making sure to say that Europe wishes they were the country that the United States is today.

Yes I know Europe isn't a country.

#137 Posted by Shadow (4979 posts) -

What a douche. Fired? Maybe not, but he definitely shouldn't be allowed to do video features for the show.

#138 Posted by EnchantedEcho (739 posts) -

That rant was bad and those shitty flame transitions are bad, not 'your fired' worthy though.

#139 Posted by Brodehouse (9847 posts) -

I have this feeling like if he was on camera, he'd be pulling the skin on his eyes back to make them look slitty.

#140 Edited by Omega (831 posts) -

The Homefront review is just par for the course when it comes to X Play. They try to be funny when they do a review, they've been doing it that way since it was called Extended Play. They've made fun of many countries including Australia for ridiculous video game bans and even have taken aim at Canada (my country) a few times. Its always goofy and they always use the same tired stereotypes that hack comedians have already pummeled into the ground. Probably why I don't really watch it anymore.   

Its just best to not get too bent out of shape over it. If you don't like it you can always find something else to watch and there are plenty of other sources of video game reviews outside of X Play.   

#141 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10894 posts) -

To be honest, the only part I found tasteless to be the part about the dead baby. The rest seemed pretty accurate (well, piling up corpses was unnecessary too).

#142 Edited by ll_chilidogs (43 posts) -

Why dock a game just because the story isn't very plausible though?  Assassin's Creed, GTA games, Call of Duty, Gears, and God of War all have batsh-t crazy stories!  I don't think Homefront is great, although the multiplayer is actually pretty good, but bashing the game for a nonsensical story isn't fair when you consider that most games are FICTION anyway.

#143 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Some people will do anything for attention. Maybe next time he should bring into question the quality of video games as "art" then p... ah, too late.

#144 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (833 posts) -

Nah. The part about piling up bodies and dead babies is a bit tasteless, but not enough to fire him.

#145 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Yes.  That was not a review, it was hate speech pretending to be a review.

#146 Edited by bartok (2466 posts) -

So has any action been taken on this guy or an apology been issued by G4?   I can at least take solace in the fact that their highest rated shows are probable reruns of Cops or Blind Date or edited for TV movies.  

#147 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@President_Barackbar said:
" @Grumbel said:
" @Geno said:
And one of the main reasons why the people are starving in North Korea is that they invest a ton of they money into their army instead of their people and thus as a result have one of the largest armies in the world and by far the largest army relative to their population size. Successfully invading the US is of course still far fetched, but on the other side its hard to come by realistic scenarios where somebody has not only the gear, but also enough crazy to actually do it."
Oh man, this could not be anymore wrong. As the great master Yoda once said "size matters not". Just because their army is proportionally bigger than other armies does NOT mean its any good. "
Pretty much. As I said, their military hardware is way out of date and it's not like their military personnel aren't starving as well. Basically, they would have a difficult time taking over even South Korea with a surprise attack, let alone the US which has a military at least an order of magnitude stronger and better trained.
#148 Posted by rflx (576 posts) -

I hate North Korea as much as the next guy, but that was just dumb. I know he was probably just trying to be funny, but he didn't succeed.

#149 Posted by TechHits (1377 posts) -

Maybe this guy should get a raise, he did get everyone here to watch his review.

#150 Posted by Colin (707 posts) -

I would fire that asshole on the spot, I wouldn't want my companies name in any way linked to that review.