#1 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12015 posts) -

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12015 posts) -

Whilst browsing the website, I discovered that there is not a page for colored lighting. Or regular lighting, for that matter. But there are pages for things like light bloom and flickering light, so I think colored lighting should have its own page. But, I also felt like asking the community before putting something kinda dumb like that would be the right course of action (and I also don't know if this discussion had occurred in the past).

#3 Posted by ILostOnJeprody (11 posts) -

I feel that coloured lighting is mentioned enough on the Bombcast to warrant its own page.

#4 Posted by Bones8677 (3377 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

Whilst browsing the website, I discovered that there is not a page for colored lighting. Or regular lighting, for that matter. But there are pages for things like light bloom and flickering light, so I think colored lighting should have its own page. But, I also felt like asking the community before putting something kinda dumb like that would be the right course of action (and I also don't know if this discussion had occurred in the past).

Light Bloom and Flickering Lights are deliberate conceptual designs and effects in games. Colored lighting is not, what would the page really be? This game has a green light on this level and on the next level there's a red light?

#5 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8020 posts) -

Wrong forum, but no I don't personally think it should have a separate page....it could be under an H2 header in the main article of a concept called lighting.

#6 Posted by I_smell (4212 posts) -

I think if this was the year 1990 then yes, but it's not, so no.

You can mention on the Quake page (or whatever game, I dunno) that coloured lightning was a new thing, but it's not a Concept.

#7 Posted by ZackHoagie (24 posts) -

Of course it should, or else all the time I spent upgrading my PC for Quake 2 is going to WASTE.

#8 Edited by louiedog (2381 posts) -

I'd only be okay with "colored lighting touted as a feature" being a concept. Great, now I have to install Quake 2.

#9 Posted by kingzetta (4497 posts) -

Yes wasn't it kinda a big deal?

#10 Posted by tourgen (4568 posts) -

I don't think so. I think you can make a note of it in the game's wiki if it's used prominently or if it's used in some way to achieve a unique visual affect. Bloom and flickering lights are kinda questionable too I think, but they have been so grossly overused this gen I can see why they have a page.

#11 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1695 posts) -

I think it warrants its own page simply because of the sheer amount of tech demos and game demos shown off that mentioned colored lighting in the 90's as a feature.

#12 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12015 posts) -

@Unknown_Pleasures: Why is this the wrong forum? So far as I can tell, there is no forum for "ideas for pages that should be." And it's about video game stuff, so it's not off topic.

#13 Posted by DonutFever (3871 posts) -
You should have your own page! 
...Yeah... 
#14 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8020 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan: Editing & Tools....,questions dealing with the wiki go there.

#15 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12015 posts) -

@Unknown_Pleasures: I thought that was just for stuff about the editing and tools themselves, not new pages...Whatever!

#16 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8020 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan: Most discussion on pages have been on that forum, but I may be wrong.....doesn't matter either way.

#17 Posted by iam3green (14368 posts) -

go make the page man.

#18 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12015 posts) -

@iam3green said:

go make the page man.

I can't on my own, it has to go through moderation first. That's why I did this thread, to have some evidence that the community backed me up on this.

#19 Posted by SSully (4737 posts) -

@Bones8677: Believe it or not colored lighting used to be a bullet point for quake 2's engine just like bloom was a big point for source engine, or differed rendering for games like crysis and KZ2.

#20 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12015 posts) -

Guys. I submitted a request for the creation of the page. Now we will see if the mods approve. I'm not sure what to expect.

#21 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2729 posts) -

I thought that there was one already,

#22 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12015 posts) -

@Bloodgraiv3 said:

I thought that there was one already,

If there is, I couldn't find it. There may be one soon though.

#23 Posted by Dagbiker (7022 posts) -

If there's a page for colored lighting i want a page for vector polarization.

#24 Posted by Branthog (5717 posts) -

I tend to be against segregation.