Should game reviewers finish a game before reviewing it?

• 77 results
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Geno

I would say they should at least be the majority of the way through it. I mean, if a game is already decidedly good or bad 2/3 of the way through I don't think it would be any different for the last 1/3. Even if it were, it shouldn't change the review score drastically because a bad game is not worth playing for a good ending, and a bad ending shouldn't significantly impact a game that is otherwise excellent throughout. 

pepsicolagirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By pepsicolagirl

Yes unless the game falls into any of these categories:
a) Puzzle games (tetris, hexic etc)
b) MMO ( kind of impossible so...)
c) Sports games ( Gran Turismo, Tiger Woods, Super Tennis etc)
d) Any other Sim ( flight sims, train sims etc)

Obviously if any of the above have a narrative structure of any kind, no matter how ridiculous, it should certainly be experienced in full before any judgement is passed.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By Dogma

The most important part for me is the beginning. I mean... if a game can't manage to hook me in some way during the first hours it's kind of badly designed.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By penguindust

No, but it depends on the game.  Obviously, MMOs can't be finished since that is the nature of the genre.  Additionally, old school style games that are all about racking up points have no ending, so play Pac-Man for an hour or 12 hours it is pretty much the same experience.  Also, online-only competitive multiplayer games don't need to be finished since what is most important is the game play.  Story driven games should be completed be they action games, shooters, adventure or RPGs.  Much like a movie or a book, the ending can positively or negatively impact your overall opinion.  Is the end worth the journey or is the journey enough itself?  These are questions which should be considered by the reviewer.  For that, they need to finish the game.  

Then there are crap games.  I really don't need for a reviewer to work their way through all of Rogue Warrior for me to know that it is crap and not worth my money.  Some games are just level after level after level of the same crap, and I'd rather a reviewer spend their time playing something worthwhile instead of a horrible game just to be able to say they finished it.  These games are rare though, but if a reviewer has enough experience, I trust them to be able to spot a clunker when they see one.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By JokerSmilez
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @sixghost said:
" It's still a good point. You could blow through ME2 or Dragon Age in maybe 10 and 20 hours respectively, but that wouldn't provide you with the experience needed to write a good review. Simply drawing the line at finished/not finished oversimplifies things. A reviewer should just play the game as long as he/she needs to get a feel for the game. If that means playing playing half the game, or playing the whole thing makes no difference. "
But that brings up another aspect of this topic.  Games such as Fallout 3, GTA IV, ME2 and Dragon Age all have diverging paths, but they all of those paths converge and end at the same, specific point.  There's always a main quest line to be followed and principal set pieces that everyone will see, regardless of their paths chosen.  Because there are these "main" aspects to the game, we can say that no game is truly 'open' and therefore those main paths should be the ones reviewed specifically.  Alternate paths and additional, optional quests should also be reviewed, but those are optional, and are not incremental to the enjoyment of the game. "
Justin Macelroy from Joystiq has said he's thought about revising his Fallout 3 review because he "completed" the story of the game and thought it was alright, but after he'd put in another 30-40 hours into the game and found all kinds of little hidden gems, he liked the game a lot more. 

To revise my though on reviews: if you're going to attach a hard score (stars, numbers, letter, whatever) you should complete the game, no matter what because that's what people expect. If you're not attaching a score (Joystiq or Kotaku reviews), then it's much easier to get away with not playing the whole game, as long as you're honest with what you've played. 

I'm also in favour of the Mike from Penny Arcade's idea of reviewers posting their gamertags, so we can see the achievements, etc for the games they're reviewing (which is why I trust the reviews I read here so much).
Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By Chirag4

For most games, yes.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#57  Edited By cornbredx

I chose depends on the game.  

If you give it a good effort, and the game is just rediculously boring or tough to play I see no issue in that being enough for a review. If they cant finish it so they can review it because of bad quality, game breaking bugs, or in very rare cases it not being a game you'd need to finish (I dont think you need to finish sports games to get the gist of them for instance) I think this says alot for the quality of the game. If most reviewers say the game is so broken they couldnt finish it, this coming from a pool of alot of people backed up by regular players should definitely say something for the quality of the game. It would, for me anyway, weigh more towards a negative on the game if this was the case and I think it is important to know which games are like that.  

To many reviews for the obviously better games these days, not enough on the random junk you may not know is crap but you need something cheap. I dont know if that made sense, but anyway i think it depends on the game.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#58  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

If the game is extremely story driven - yes. But in some cases it isn't always necessary to finish a game to judge it's quality, and ultimately as long as the review is transparent, and the reviewer explains how much they've played, there isn't really an issue.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Hamz

If they aren't willing to commit and finish the game then don't bother trying to review it in the first place.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By Whisperkill

For certain games it doesn't matter 

You can't BEAT an mmo 
Racing games are often a grind to complete 
Multiplayer games can't be beaten 
Sports games

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By foggel

Ofcourse.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@ZanzibarBreeze: I'm talking conventional video game reviewers.

@Dogma said:

"Game time Solo - 37h 
Game time multi - 0h 
Completed - Yes 
Difficulty - Normal 
Genre experience - High 
Series experience - Complete  "

Well, the concept behind your "Insight" is interesting (reducing the wording spent on given reviewer context with their experience with the series to readers sounds nice), but I see a few flaws with it.  "Series experience - Complete": What does that mean exactly?  Continuing with the example of Mass Effect 2, does that mean the reviewer also finished the iPod Touch/iPhone game?  Does that mean they've read all the novels related to the series?  

"Genre experience - High": How is that defined?  For someone, playing 40 hours of World of Warcraft could be considered a high experience with the MMO genre, while for someone else, playing 5 different MMOs for 8 hours each would be a high experience.  

"Completed - Yes": This is too vague.  How much did you complete the game?  Do you mean you've finished it, or do you mean you've finished all the side-quests, unlocked all the achievements, reached the highest level in online multiplayer, and also finished the main story? 

It's a good idea, though.  It just requires more tuning.

@Whisperkill said:

" For certain games it doesn't matter  You can't BEAT an mmo Racing games are often a grind to complete Multiplayer games can't be beaten Sports games "

Issue addressed in the first two pages of the thread: I'm talking about games that have a certain type of campaign.
artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By artelinarose

Uh, yeah.  It shouldn't even need to be asked. Not finishing a game and then trying to give your opinion on the entire thing is like undercooking your meal then complaining that it tastes like shit, or watching the first half of a movie and complaining that the ending didn't resolve anything.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DystopiaX

it depends. not finishing a story heavy game like Heavy Rain would be stupid, but for games like MW2 and Halo it doesn't matter, because no one plays them for the story anyway.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By BoFooQ

NO, for one games shouldn't be introducing new stuff at end of the game and feature in the game should be used before the end.  also a game shouldn't want till the end to hook players in.
BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By BoFooQ

NO, for one games shouldn't be introducing new stuff at end of the game and feature in the game should be used before the end.  also a game shouldn't want till the end to hook players in.
jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By jNerd

Definitely, 100%.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For almost all games, yes.  The only exception is if the game is so bad and broken that it is nearly unplayable.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By themangalist

look at dante's inferno.
The first two thirds had amazing scenery and great epicness even if the gameplay isn't really innovative. Any reviewer stopping at there would never know that the last one third was absolutely horrible and uncreative. The end is a chore.

then look at indigo prophecy.the beginining was one of the most stunning and panicful situation the player had to go through, and almost hooked everyone in. Anyone who stopped at the middle would think the game had a great story, but everyone knew that the end flopped horribly.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Bigandtasty

I think if the guy thoroughly dislikes the game the last third of the game probably won't change his mind.

That said, finishing the storyline/campaign can only help with credibility and forming a reasonable conclusion.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ryanwho

I think its ironic that people who regularly dismiss a game based on 20 minute Quick Looks would insist reviewers should complete a game before reviewing.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By davidwitten22
@ryanwho said:
" I think its ironic that people who regularly dismiss a game based on 20 minute Quick Looks would insist reviewers should complete a game before reviewing. "
Those people dismissing 20 minute Quick Looks don't get paid to review video games.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By Willy105

Should movie critics see the whole movie before they review it?

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#74  Edited By sixghost
@Willy105 said:

" Should movie critics see the whole movie before they review it? "

Movies are 2-3 hours long at the very most. Games can be 100+ hours long. Not a great comparison.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ryanwho
@davidwitten22 said:
" @ryanwho said:
" I think its ironic that people who regularly dismiss a game based on 20 minute Quick Looks would insist reviewers should complete a game before reviewing. "
Those people dismissing 20 minute Quick Looks don't get paid to review video games. "
What does that have to do with anything? The  person who can watch a game for half an hour and go "not for me" obviously isn't interested to know that game x "finally gets good 20 hours in". A reviewer speaks to its audience, and if the audience has ADD they don't need reviewers that finish every sidequest and clock in 60 hours. Especially if they're just going to look at the score, one of many in the score aggregator they use to determine if a game is worth their 'valued' time. The modern consumer isn't buying three games a year based on a single magazine review like when I was a kid, reviews should reflect modern time. The average modern consumer isn't asking for, and doesn't deserve, a thorough review when all they really want is a number that aligns with their preconceptions.
davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By davidwitten22
@ryanwho said:
" @davidwitten22 said:
" @ryanwho said:
Those people dismissing 20 minute Quick Looks don't get paid to review video games. "
What does that have to do with anything? The  person who can watch a game for half an hour and go "not for me" obviously isn't interested to know that game x "finally gets good 20 hours in". A reviewer speaks to its audience, and if the audience has ADD they don't need reviewers that finish every sidequest and clock in 60 hours. Especially if they're just going to look at the score, one of many in the score aggregator they use to determine if a game is worth their 'valued' time. The modern consumer isn't buying three games a year based on a single magazine review like when I was a kid, reviews should reflect modern time. The average modern consumer isn't asking for, and doesn't deserve, a thorough review when all they really want is a number that aligns with their preconceptions. "
A review has to do their job, and that job is to give the reader a solid idea of the game. I, personally, don't believe you can do that without finishing the game. Maybe some people only look at reviews for an arbitrary number attached to it, but other people actually read these reviews for their content. I don't want to read a review where the reviewer didn't at least complete the main quest of the game (in the event there is one, I'm obviously not talking about sports games and DDR and the like). That's extremely unprofessional. You wouldn't buy a book based on someone saying "Yeah the first 3 chapters are good". I wouldn't finish a game I don't like, but I'm also not a game reviewer. I don't get paid a salary to play video games and then tell people if they were good or bad. Anyone who gets paid to review games owes both the readers and the makers of the game their full attention to it. I wouldn't want to work for years on something, and then have someone briefly check it out and say "it sucks, i don't like it" without even getting into what I did.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By CL60

Yes, it's their job to play and complete a game then review it.

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
@ryanwho said:
"...The average modern consumer isn't asking for, and doesn't deserve, a thorough review when all they really want is a number that aligns with their preconceptions. "
FUCK YES!