#1 Posted by SexyToad (2739 posts) -
#2 Posted by Demoskinos (13878 posts) -

Um yes?

#3 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1591 posts) -

I don't see why not, unless they make it somewhat fun like the end of Rayman Origins where you could smash through the credits while they ran.

#4 Posted by falserelic (4949 posts) -

Hell to the yes...

#5 Posted by Kerned (1168 posts) -

Yes, of course. People who care are going to watch them anyway, and it's a waste of everyone's time to force uninterested people to sit there and wait for them to scroll by.

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (11266 posts) -

Yes, but more than anything, game credits really need to stop aping movie credits - there are so many ways of making credits more interesting/more interactive in games. It's a pity that so many developers just default to white text slowly scrolling down a black background...

#7 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

Yeah but I always let the credits roll because there might be some extra scenes after the fact like Ghost Trick.

#8 Posted by Zidd (1832 posts) -

Game credits should be formatted so that they are not 25 minutes long (Ubisoft). I like the way Valve does credits its just a simple alphabetical list of everyone who worked on the game and takes only a few minutes to scroll by.

#9 Edited by SexyToad (2739 posts) -
@Zidd

Game credits should be formatted so that they are not 25 minutes long (Ubisoft). I like the way Valve does credits its just a simple alphabetical list of everyone who worked on the game and takes only a few minutes to scroll by.

Ubisoft is exactly who I was thinking of. After beating Assassin Creed Revelations, I waited for the credits to end in case there was some hidden scenes. The credits took so long, that I tried to skip it. It wouldn't let me and I ended up turning off the game.
#10 Edited by Franstone (1057 posts) -

As long as you can skip the credits without missing any "bonus" content, sure.

We aren't forced to watch the credits in movies, we either leave the theater or fast forward/skip unless you want to find out the name of a specific actor/actress.

Should be the same with games.

Holding down on an arrow key/stick would be nice to speed up the process if you were actually interested in seeing anything specific.

#11 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (869 posts) -

There is no reason why I should waste 5 minutes of watching names of marketing, accounting and legal personnel.

#12 Posted by kurtbro900 (116 posts) -

No we need to watch everyone that made the game. And special thanks people that we dont know what the fuck they did.

#13 Posted by RazielCuts (2711 posts) -

I always leave the credits rolling in the background in case their is some after credits cinematic or something, if there's some good music accompanying them that's a nice bonus too.

#14 Posted by Bocam (3554 posts) -

We should be able to skip the opening logos as well.

#15 Posted by BBAlpert (1262 posts) -

Sitting through a credits roll at the end of a game is one thing.

Sitting through a credits roll every time you reach an ending in a game with about a dozen different endings and is fundamentally built on the act of multiple playthroughs is quite another.

What I'm trying to say is fuck you, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward.

#16 Posted by Ghostiet (5153 posts) -

Yes. Especially if it's shit like the credits to Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Revelations and III. God damn.

#17 Posted by Karkarov (2622 posts) -

Depends. In games where you only see credits at the very end of the game and they have cool background music and or nice graphical presentations then maybe no. If it is a fighting game where you "beat" it every 30 minutes or the credits are available right there on the main menu.... maybe yes. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just people who worked on the game. I understand people wanting credit and all but the marketing team and your casting director for the chinese voice actors didn't do anything to enrich the game I played in english. In fact why can't credits be intelligent and display a "cast" list based on what version of the game you played to begin with?

#18 Posted by phrosnite (3517 posts) -

Of course.

#19 Posted by AngelN7 (2959 posts) -

Yeah we should the credits for ACIII where longer than god damned ending of the game.

#20 Posted by HerbieBug (3851 posts) -

Yes, and also, games should allow you to make your end game save (for purpose of new game +) before the credit roll, not after.

#21 Posted by Vasta_Narada (428 posts) -

Yes, as long as we don't miss any post-credits stingers. I remember a game (I wanna say Deus Ex: Human Revolution) where I skipped the credits, and it skipped the bonus scene, also. It wasn't a big deal to reload my save and watch the credits (especially since I wanted the all-endings-viewed achievement that I got glitched out of), though.

#22 Posted by believer258 (11048 posts) -

@Bocam said:

We should be able to skip the opening logos as well.

On that note, I'd like to have the ability to skip a game's entire intro if I've already seen it. New game -> Load -> Start. No tutorial or anything.

#23 Posted by Canteu (2814 posts) -

Yes. People who watch credits are cray cray.

#24 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

Yes! I recently sat through rayman origins credits waiting for an achievement! I never got one :( waste of 15 minutes.

#25 Posted by JoeyRavn (4887 posts) -

Most do?

#26 Posted by Gaff (1493 posts) -

@Canteu said:

Yes. People who watch credits are cray cray.

Or wiki editors at Giantbomb / MobyGames. Which... Yeah.

And I'll join in with the "Skip the credit roll, but stop once the stinger starts playing."

#27 Posted by Hyuzen (430 posts) -

Let me skip the credits, but please, PLEASE don't skip the post-credits sequence.

I've been burned a couple times on missing the post credits scene so I never skip credits on a game, on the off chance there is something

#29 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

Credits should be better so you don't want to skip them, an interactive medium should have interactive credits; put a quick time event in there that serves as an epilogue or unlocks something awesome for a subsequent play through.

While X-Men: Destiny was not the best game, it did have good credits; the whole time they were playing you were brawling an unending wave of enemies in a big open arena.

#30 Posted by Canteu (2814 posts) -

Don't forget the bayonetta credits otherwise known as the best credits.

Although, there is a good case for post credit sequences, a la, shadows of the damned:

#31 Posted by LarryDavis (719 posts) -

@BBAlpert said:

Sitting through a credits roll at the end of a game is one thing.

Sitting through a credits roll every time you reach an ending in a game with about a dozen different endings and is fundamentally built on the act of multiple playthroughs is quite another.

What I'm trying to say is fuck you, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward.

Yes. This was really dumb. At least it was just a couple of minutes so I could just sit the 3DS down and do something else.

But now I know the Japanese voice of Zero III is TARAKO, whatever the hell that means.

#32 Edited by Serpentenema (211 posts) -

When I went through Scott Pilgrim: Vs. The World and beat it with all 5 characters, I had to sit down through 20 minutes of unskippable Ubisoft credits 5 times because I didn't know that it saved right after you beat it, and I feared it would erase my progress.

#33 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

Yes I don't care who made the game I'm playing.

#34 Posted by Hemoglobin909 (4 posts) -

I believe that the interactivity of games is to be used in regards to credits. Why not show credits in a clickable format? Segments of credits could be aggregated within groups that the user can decide to peruse at his leisure.

In the end, credits are really only useful to people who know the individuals involved in a game or by people or companies looking to hire said individuals. Sure, I might be curious as to who voiced this or that character, which company was involved in the bullet physics engine or any of a number of specific jobs (based on arbitrary and personal preferences), but do I really care who the public relations director's assistant was?

Most games permit looking at the credits without even beating the game. Why not give the choice to the user on how he watches the credits?

#35 Edited by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -

Was it the original Fable where if you didn't wait for the end of the credits you couldn't continue to mess around in the world afterwards?

#36 Posted by Evikull (60 posts) -
#37 Posted by billyhoush (1187 posts) -

Yes. Most people turn off a movie or walk out of a theatre when the credits roll. Hell they turn on the lights in the theatre when the credits are going unless they know something extra will be shown.

#38 Posted by GnaTSoL (778 posts) -

Yes but I can understand the developers wanting some kind of recognition. Interactivity would solve everything. It could be the stupidest mini-game ever. Or go AAA movie style, with stylish credits popping up abstractly.

#39 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (190 posts) -

Yes. Some credits are REALLY long too, it's like "ok now....hurry up please" lol.

#40 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2149 posts) -

Definitely. Especially games published by Ubisoft or Take Two where they feel the need to credit everyone from their billion goddamn studios who had no involvement at all with the game.

Also I'm totally on board with more interactive credits. Smash Bros did good on that.

#41 Posted by Dauthi693 (129 posts) -

The credits are so long these days they either need more columns or a fast forward button atleast. Especially Ubisoft games and playstation all stars where they include more people than a small country.

#42 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3069 posts) -

Yes. I don't need to see the names of the 100 QA testers that worked on the game in all the different regions, especially when the game still ships broken. (Which is always, as it happens.)

#43 Posted by LikeaSsur (1430 posts) -

This is a tough question.

On the one hand, what everyone else has basically said. Some credits are just too long, and end up hurting the ending of a game. This is super apparent in shorter games, where you're likely to see the credits multiple times.

On the other, after a game with a fantastic story and satisfying ending, the credits can be seen as a time of reflection and contemplation. A time that your mind can just sit there and take in everything that's just happened, all those memories you made playing through it, and the empty, yet cleansing feeling of "Well, it's over" washing over you. Skipping this crucial time and being greeted by the Title Screen just isn't the same. Any RPG is a fantastic example of this done right.

So you know what? Yes, players should have the option, but you shouldn't be so quick to mash the START button.