This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -
#2 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -

Hell no.

#3 Edited by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

I personally believe they should so that it no longer becomes necessary to quote someone's comment and simply say something along the lines of "this" or "what he said" when you agree with a comment. It would also let commenters easily know whether or not their opinions are agreed or disagreed with.

#4 Posted by LostRebel (111 posts) -

We already have the flag system, which is basically the same thing. People with unpopular opinions get flagged, even if they didn't break the rules.

#5 Posted by Aishan (1023 posts) -

A "Like" only system would be better. Thumbs-up/thumbs-down stuff only leads to passive-aggressive nonsense. 

But I don't think either is necessary in any way, shape or form.

#6 Posted by drag (1206 posts) -

nah, thumb systems are a good idea in theory but never work as intended

#7 Posted by LostRebel (111 posts) -
@Aishan said:
A "Like" only system would be better. Thumbs-up/thumbs-down stuff only leads to passive-aggressive nonsense.  But I don't think either is necessary in any way, shape or form.
You and five other people like this.
#8 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:
Hell no.
+1
#9 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

@Djeffers03 said:

I personally believe they should so that it no longer becomes necessary to quote someone's comment and simply say something along the lines of "this" or "what he said". It would also let commenters easily know whether or not their opinions are agreed or disagreed with.

This

#10 Edited by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -

We talked about this before, the result was a resounding no. The site used to have a +/- feature for posts that was widely abused and was disposed of with good reason.

#11 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -
@swoxx: You sly dog ;)
#12 Posted by DystopiaX (5360 posts) -

No thumb systems are bullshit. Just look at how much they pollute youtube and how you can't go through a video without a "OMG LIKE THIZZZZ IF YOU'RE WATCHING IT ON (CURRENT DATE) OR (INSIDE JOKE VIDEO HERE)" etc.

#13 Posted by ShaggE (6699 posts) -

"I like this game that most others don't." 589 thumbs down/5 thumbs up 

Yeah... gonna go with no.

#14 Posted by DystopiaX (5360 posts) -

@Djeffers03 said:

I personally believe they should so that it no longer becomes necessary to quote someone's comment and simply say something along the lines of "this" or "what he said" when you agree with a comment. It would also let commenters easily know whether or not their opinions are agreed or disagreed with.

You also get commentwhores who are just interested in getting more thumbs up.

#15 Posted by LostRebel (111 posts) -
@swoxx said:

@Djeffers03 said:

I personally believe they should so that it no longer becomes necessary to quote someone's comment and simply say something along the lines of "this" or "what he said". It would also let commenters easily know whether or not their opinions are agreed or disagreed with.

This

Pun intended?
#16 Posted by Sanj (2537 posts) -

@LostRebel said:

@Aishan said:
A "Like" only system would be better. Thumbs-up/thumbs-down stuff only leads to passive-aggressive nonsense. But I don't think either is necessary in any way, shape or form.

I think this would be a better option too.

#17 Posted by Toms115 (2317 posts) -

something like facebook's "like" stuff would be cool. 

#18 Edited by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

@Djeffers03: Too good to pass up! :) I do actually agree though!

@LostRebel Absolutley

@DystopiaX said:

No thumb systems are bullshit. Just look at how much they pollute youtube and how you can't go through a video without a "OMG LIKE THIZZZZ IF YOU'RE WATCHING IT ON (CURRENT DATE) OR (INSIDE JOKE VIDEO HERE)" etc.

I think you're selling the GB community a bit short if you're comparing it with YT comments

#19 Posted by LostRebel (111 posts) -
@Sanj said:

@LostRebel said:

@Aishan said:
A "Like" only system would be better. Thumbs-up/thumbs-down stuff only leads to passive-aggressive nonsense. But I don't think either is necessary in any way, shape or form.

I think this would be a better option too.

Don't we already have something like that on game pages? So why not just implement a Facebook like button for individual threads? Or possibly even individual posts?
#20 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:

This is very much true but I like to think that the GiantBomb users are a lot more mature than that and therefore wouldn't drop to that level. However chances are Im just being an optimist.
#21 Posted by PillClinton (3295 posts) -

Nah, son. A simple like system might not be horrible though.

#22 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

No, but as many others have said: A Like-button could be nice. Then again, I'm not sure what a post with a bunch of Likes would actually mean, so it's not exactly something worth just putting in.

#23 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:

Beat me to it. Thumb systems can die a painful death.
#24 Posted by Grilledcheez (3957 posts) -

We basically already had that and while I enjoyed it, some didn't so they did away with it.

#25 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
@BulletproofMonk said:
Hell no.
+1
"Liked"
#26 Posted by marlow83 (239 posts) -

No, I'd like to keep that comment rating bullshit, in any of its forms, out of Giant Bomb. It would be a fucking disaster, like it is on any other website. 

#27 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
@marlow83 said:
No, I'd like to keep that comment rating bullshit, in any of its forms, out of Giant Bomb. It would be a fucking disaster, like it is on any other website. 
'Thumbs up' "Liked" +1  
#28 Posted by InuorDie (18 posts) -

Thumbs up if you agree No!

#29 Posted by LostRebel (111 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay said:

No, but as many others have said: A Like-button could be nice. Then again, I'm not sure what a post with a bunch of Likes would actually mean, so it's not exactly something worth just putting in.

Plus there might be elitism or something like this:
-You like me and I'll like you. And people liking each other as a rep fest.
#30 Posted by marlow83 (239 posts) -
@BestUsernameEver said:
@marlow83 said:
'Thumbs up' "Liked" +1  
HAHA, I see what you did there!  
#31 Posted by MB (13093 posts) -

The +/- system was being widely abused so we dumped it years ago.