Should I Buy Doom 3?

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By artofwar420

The recent TANG has spiked my interest for Doom, I have played most of the previous ones. I have not played Doom 3 however, so would you recommend Doom 3?

Screenshot
Screenshot

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By artofwar420

The recent TANG has spiked my interest for Doom, I have played most of the previous ones. I have not played Doom 3 however, so would you recommend Doom 3?

Screenshot
Screenshot

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I would, sure. Lot of monster closets, but it's still pretty good.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By crunchUK

At the beggining it's brilliant. Really scary and claustrophobic. UNtil you get all the pwnage weapons and it just becomes shooting mosters through corridors that all look the same, unfortunately. It's still pretty good though, and it's definitely very cheap by now

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By tmthomsen

I really enjoyed my playthrough of Doom 3, and it's even better to play together with a friend in the unofficial co-op mod.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By DJ_Lae

Doom 3 is pretty good - and it's aged fairly well, too.

Though personally I like the expansion better. It's just a tighter Doom experience.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By REDRUN

wear some good headphones. This may make the experience more scarier, then it might ruin the scare factor if you use your ears as an extra set of eyes.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By NickM

Actually, I was just thinking of playing Doom 3. DO IT!

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gearhead

I would say no as it's so repetitive and not that original, but would recommend if you are looking for a scary game, Condemn or FEAR. 

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Colonel_Cool

Doom 3 is an awesome game. The game looks very ugly with the brightness up, but if you adjust the gamma in the console then it actually looks very good. Make sure when you play that the dark areas are black (I would recommend setting the gamma at 0.65-0.75 on an LCD monitor). I don't think the game is scary, although it has superb art direction, and the contrast between the light and the darkness is very well done. What makes the game even better is the Doom 3 OpenCoop mod. It has 4-player coop support for the entire Doom 3 campaign as well as the expansion.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

Doom 3 was OK, but it has really aged poorly.  I hate how they break up the action with audio logs that you MUST listen to (while not fighting or you'll missing something) to hear codes to unlock doors.  None of the action or level design was as good as the original games either.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Get the PC/Mac version and get the flashlight mod.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm not sure what kinds of mods you can get for the game, but no if you're just going to play through the story. The game is dull as shit.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By JJOR64
Captain_Fookup said:
"Get the PC/Mac version and get the flashlight mod."
The game can't be no more then $20 now.  It's probably only like $10 for Xbox.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By RHCPfan24

I got it for the original Xbox and enjoyed it. It is creepy in the beginning and it gets easier as it progresses but overall I was very entertained.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Captain_Fookup
JJOR64 said:
"Captain_Fookup said:
"Get the PC/Mac version and get the flashlight mod."
The game can't be no more then $20 now.  It's probably only like $10 for Xbox."
I've seen it way less then that used and new for both PC/MAC, Xbawx version for 1-3 bucks new or used.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By vidiot
No.

Doom 3 has not aged well, there are a plethora of other action/horror shooters, even ones that have been released prior to Doom 3 that are better and far more memorable experiences. The enemy a.i. is pretty poor and the scares weren't anything new that I hadn't seen in horror games for the last ten years. The enemies are beyond generic given the source material, but even the new creatures added seem like Silent Hill rejects than anything interesting, or scary. The entire beginning felt like a glorified version of the opening of Halflife, with the rest of the story being pretty much one predictable event after another with amazing story plot holes that you could drive a truck through. You've seen it before: and you've seen it better. It doesn't help that when you finally get to Hell I had constant flashback to Clive Barkers: Undying.

You can buy the game for peanuts now, so if you have the cash to burn go right ahead. Just don't expect anything specail.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CL60

Get it.

sloppyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By sloppyjoe

if you like shooting mindlessly and big eff'ing guns.  then yes.  it's dumb and fun.

play it at night in the dark and you might be scared.  depends how it's aged and if you get jumpy easily.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By weltal

Absolutely. Buy it cheap though. I don't really think it's worth the $20 price tag Steam has it at. Chances are they'll put it on sale again at some point or buy it from amazon for like $8.

RawShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RawShark

Why the hell not, it's cheap as peanuts. And pretty good too!

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#22  Edited By jimbo_n

Its another ID software masterpiece and a sin to skip. And for the price you should be able to find it now? Hell it´d be criminal not to give it a shot if you´re ever remotely into shooters.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Doom 3 is AWESOME

9/10

Excellent game with some good sound

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Diamond
buckybit said:
"I disagree /w the guys who say it aged poorly. These graphics still are pretty fine, because the whole game is well programmed and well designed, within the bounderies it was set in. Of course it is not a CoD4 or Fear2 etc, but it never wanted to be anything else but Doom. It is the classic Doom-game with better graphics. Gameplaywise it is dull - it-s Doom in that sense, too. Yet, especially the beginning on Mars made me think "Wow, that-s how SystemShock3 could have been. It needs just a little more SS2-Gameplay..." "
It is NOTHING AT ALL like the classic Doom game.  Doom 1 and 2 are still awesome, Doom 3 mostly has you fighting one or two enemies at a time.  Level design has barely any secrets (secrets are usually limited to codes entered on weapon stashes).

The graphics have especially aged poorly, and they look worse than most all modern 360, PS3 and PC, but they don't look horrible yet.
BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BigBoss1911
Diamond said:
"buckybit said:
"I disagree /w the guys who say it aged poorly. These graphics still are pretty fine, because the whole game is well programmed and well designed, within the bounderies it was set in. Of course it is not a CoD4 or Fear2 etc, but it never wanted to be anything else but Doom. It is the classic Doom-game with better graphics. Gameplaywise it is dull - it-s Doom in that sense, too. Yet, especially the beginning on Mars made me think "Wow, that-s how SystemShock3 could have been. It needs just a little more SS2-Gameplay..." "
It is NOTHING AT ALL like the classic Doom game.  Doom 1 and 2 are still awesome, Doom 3 mostly has you fighting one or two enemies at a time.  Level design has barely any secrets (secrets are usually limited to codes entered on weapon stashes).The graphics have especially aged poorly, and they look worse than most all modern 360, PS3 and PC, but they don't look horrible yet."
They havent aged poorly at all.You must have a shitty pc or bad eye sight.
Avatar image for deactivated-6308c1821738f
deactivated-6308c1821738f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Sure its cheap. Go for it!!!  Its a simple but fun shooter.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Diamond
BigBoss1911 said:
They havent aged poorly at all.You must have a shitty pc or bad eye sight."
You're the one with the bad eyesight if you think Doom 3 compares to modern games.  It has aged especially poorly, compared to something like Half Life 2.

My PC is fine, the graphics were impressive when it first came out, now they look like crap compared to modern games.
RawShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RawShark

Doom 3's graphics definitely aren't OMGWOW like they were when they came out, but they do a good enough job of immersing you in the world. The true brilliance is in the lighting effects, I think those still stand up today.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I already own it for the PC & the Xbox.  The game scares the bejeebus out of me.

One thing that irriates you is you can't use a flashlight & a gun at the same time.  They
can get to Mars but they've retarded progress on modern weaponry.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By vidiot

BigBoss1911 said:
"Diamond said:
"buckybit said:
It is NOTHING AT ALL like the classic Doom game.  Doom 1 and 2 are still awesome, Doom 3 mostly has you fighting one or two enemies at a time.  Level design has barely any secrets (secrets are usually limited to codes entered on weapon stashes).The graphics have especially aged poorly, and they look worse than most all modern 360, PS3 and PC, but they don't look horrible yet."
They havent aged poorly at all.You must have a shitty pc or bad eye sight.
"

Graphics are just one facet of the terminology of "aging poorly". It is a combination of retrospective, presentation, and game-play mechanics that do not hold up when compared to both games of today and, here's the kicker: prior to this game's release.

All games age, and it's pretty difficult to figure out what games will age slower and what games will age faster than others. Doom 3 looked nice for it's time, and still does. But most current gen games are as technically compliant as Doom 3 now, so, what else does the game have that can stand alone asside from it's looks? When you start asking that question, you begin to realize how shallow the game is:
The game is devoid of creativity, has enemies that are devoid of intelligence or interest, has boring level design, and a comically horrible gameplay mechanic regarding the flashlight. Again: You have played this before, and you have played better.

The game is so cheap right now debating passing it up is kinda pointless. But if I were you I would take that $20 and snag something else.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

buckybit said:
It is the classic Doom-game with better graphics.
This is the perfect review of the game. If you're into classic Doom, then you'll enjoy this game. Either for the homages to the predecessors or for the completely fucking oppressive atmosphere.

I think you ought to go for it.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sir_Ragnarok said:
"buckybit said:
It is the classic Doom-game with better graphics.
This is the perfect review of the game. If you're into classic Doom, then you'll enjoy this game. Either for the homages to the predecessors or for the completely fucking oppressive atmosphere. I think you ought to go for it. "

I disagree. I loved Doom and Doom II. Doom 3 is a dull, linear, story-driven piece of shit.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Jensonb

No.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#34  Edited By psykhophear

Absolutely! Doom 3 is one of my all-time favourite video games ever. It's got the scares, the guns, the monsters and the graphics. I love it!! 

Buy the game dude. Buy it! Play it! Live with it!
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's worth its money if you buy it for next to nothing as you should be able to. Get the expansion as well. There are some fun mods to try, like Dungeon Doom  which turns it into a roguelike, complete with randomised dungeon layouts, leveling, magical weapons, the works.

I only keep the CD for when The Dark Mod finally makes a substantial release and more of the Thief 1&2 fans start mapping for it.