• 54 results
golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By golguin

Never really followed anything about the game or its sequels, but I did play through the Mass Effect series and really enjoyed that.

What should I do?

EDIT: The price isn't really the issue. Is this worth my time? I downloaded Fable 3 for free and I only got 6 hours into it before deciding it was pretty terrible.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes. Now.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wait, is it only Origins and not the expansion stuff?
Well I guess 5 bucks is alright still.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea. I just saw the super sale thing and knew they made Mass Effect.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

@zeforgotten said:

Me, 5 bucks is still alright for the game. Even if you end up not liking it it's really only 5 bucks.
Or that might just be my way of thinking since I did enjoy the game.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

@zeforgotten said:

Me, 5 bucks is still alright for the game. Even if you end up not liking it it's really only 5 bucks.

Is it basically fantasy Mass Effect? I think I remember seeing a Quick Look of it a long time ago. Can you screw an elf looking chick that's basically Tali from ME?

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wait for the Steam sale and get it for PC instead, if you've ever liked games like Baldurs Gate. The console version is alright, but unless you dislike BG, Icewind Dale and so forth, the PC version is preferable.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By golguin

Wait for the Steam sale and get it for PC instead, if you've ever liked games like Baldurs Gate. The console version is alright, but unless you dislike BG, Icewind Dale and so forth, the PC version is preferable.

I don't have a PC for playing games so I guess it's the 360 version for me.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I bought and thoroughly enjoyed Origins. I didn't partake in any DLC, so there's that. There was this one dude in my camp with a quest marker above his head and all he wanted to do was sell me a quest. Fuck that dude...in my game...that I bought. Other than that, the strategic nature of the combat was a lot of fun and the characters were pretty well fleshed out. It's also worth starting a new game, at least the beginning, to see all the origin stories for the different character classes.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

@zeforgotten said:

@golguin said:

@zeforgotten said:

Is it basically fantasy Mass Effect? I think I remember seeing a Quick Look of it a long time ago. Can you screw an elf looking chick that's basically Tali from ME?

I think Mass Effect is basically Dragon Age: Space Quest. .. Or .. Spacedragon Age..
And I'm not sure you get to bonk the Tali Elf in DA: O since she's just a temp character.
DAII on the other hand.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

@zeforgotten said:

@golguin said:

@zeforgotten said:

I wouldn't call it fantasy Mass Effect. The gameplay is different from that. You can screw an elf looking dude.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By JouselDelka

@golguin said:

@zeforgotten said:

@golguin said:

@zeforgotten said:

Yes. Buy it!

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless I'm missing something am I unable to buy this with Microsoft Points?

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#14  Edited By Hector

@golguin said:

When you're on purchase screen on the bottom there's on option to buy with microsoft points.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By redcream

It's a steal at 5 bucks though I can't speak for the console version.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hector said:

@golguin said:

When you're on purchase screen on the bottom there's on option to buy with microsoft points.

Ah, it's at the very bottom as a button prompt. I completely missed it. Downloading now.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EXTomar

Although I think DAO is a stellar game, I always answer questions like this with "Do you have the time to play it now?" Buying games cheap is a boon but buying a game cheap and never playing is not that much better than buying a game expensive and never playing it.

Otleaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$5 is still too much. Wait until you can get it for free, though I still wouldn't suggest playing it.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

The combat is not like Mass Effect - its a true RPG.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@golguin:

If you like RPGs and Bioware then it is worth your time.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes your missing out on a good game

dionysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DA: Origins was really good. I got side tracked by work about halfway through so I haven't finished it, but it's high on my list for games to get back to before the end of the year because it was so good.

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By crcruz3

It's a great game and it's a long game too. $5? Go for it, man!

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's one of the best games of the generation so it's a steal at $5.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@golguin said:

Yes and no. It's fantasy Mass Effect in that there's a giant evil horde descending upon the land and you - only you! - must convince everyone it's for realzies and unite the various peoples of the world to defeat it.

It's also totally different than Mass Effect because the party interactions are way deeper, the world is more fully realized (the backstory alone puts mass effect to shame), the combat is more intricate and challenging, etc etc. Also it has it's own mod tools so you can change what literally anyone in the game looks like. Which is fucking awesome.

So yeah, go buy it.

EDIT: Protip: Don't play as elf or human, because their origins are fucking boring. Go mage or dwarf. Shit gets bananas with the dwarves.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

What kind of fucking question is this?

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rvone said:

Yes. Now.

@redcream said:

It's a steal at 5 bucks.

@crcruz3 said:

It's a great game and it's a long game too. $5? Go for it, man!

It's one of the best games of the generation so it's a steal at $5.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By jakob187

In all honesty, I've owned both versions (PC and console, particularly 360). Since the game was meant to be a Baldur's Gate-esque ARPG (party tactics and whatnot), it feels right on the PC. Moreover, the PC version allows you to play the entire game from an overhead isometric view if you'd like...and if you'd rather play from a third-person view, you could do that as well. The console version only allows you to have a third-person view.

There's also the fact that Edge of Reality handled the port for Dragon Age Origins on console, and it leaves a LOT to be desired. The graphics are muddy as hell, there are plenty of bugs that STILL haven't been fixed (REDCLIFFE BUG, I'M LOOKING AT YOU, YOU GAME-RUINING SON OF A BITCH!), and the load times on large save files...while never getting as bad as New Vegas...can definitely be a bummer.

Even at $5, I don't think I can honestly recommend Dragon Age Origins on console. I had it for three days, had the Redcliffe bug happen, then got a refund at Game Crazy for it...and instead picked up Darksiders...which was a much better purchase decision.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

Yes and no. It's fantasy Mass Effect in that there's a giant evil horde descending upon the land and you - only you! - must convince everyone it's for realzies and unite the various peoples of the world to defeat it.

It's also totally different than Mass Effect because the party interactions are way deeper, the world is more fully realized (the backstory alone puts mass effect to shame), the combat is more intricate and challenging, etc etc. Also it has it's own mod tools so you can change what literally anyone in the game looks like. Which is fucking awesome.

So yeah, go buy it.

EDIT: Protip: Don't play as elf or human, because their origins are fucking boring. Go mage or dwarf. Shit gets bananas with the dwarves.

You're crazy! Female city elf is the second best origin after the noble dwarf.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@otleaz said:

$5 is still too much. Wait until you can get it for free, though I still wouldn't suggest playing it.

Wut.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@golguin said:

Not really. DA:O is fantasy... fantasy? It's just a fantasy tactical WRPG. DA2, on the other hand, is pretty much fantasy Mass Effect.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age : Origins is pretty damn amazing, its a 60-80 hour RPG with great characters and writing, awesome combat, its just an excellent game. Getting it for 5 bucks is a steal. Go get it.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

DA:O is one of the best Bioware games, in my very humble opinion. And $5 is a steal, so go for it!

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By subject2change

Origins is fucking fantastic. Awakening was pretty good too. However Dragon Age 2 not so much. For 5 bucks jump on it.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

Never really followed anything about the game or its sequels, but I did play through the Mass Effect series and really enjoyed that.

What should I do?

EDIT: The price isn't really the issue. Is this worth my time? I downloaded Fable 3 for free and I only got 6 hours into it before deciding it was pretty terrible.

Are we talking console or pc version? Either is worth the 5 buck but the PC version plays way better. The game is pretty great, you should definitly play it !

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY (says the guy with a Dragon Age DP)

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For $5 it a great deal even on the 360. Keep in mind the mc isn't voiced.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By theveej

if you can play it on the PC

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

let us know what you think of the game OP, been thinking of going back to it recently

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By golguin

let us know what you think of the game OP, been thinking of going back to it recently

I haven't started it yet, but now I'm wondering if I need a guide to play the game. Is there stuff that can be missed. Can party members leave if you do something bad?

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jay_ray

@golguin: Yes party members can leave or even missed. However the game is not about good or bad (there is not a moral scale) but rather just making the best choice in a bunch of shitty situations which some party members will agree with and some won't. Hell they may attack you if you choose an option they do not like.

Edit: I should also say don't use a guide to help you make choices. There is rarely a correct answer. And there are story related moments that will cause you to choose between members so don't worry about "losing" them.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Yes! Go for it!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Aside from one section of the game, The Fade, Dragon Age: Origins is a fun RPG and absolutely worth playing.

But seriously, I'd recommend just skipping Dragon Age II. That game is terrible from top to bottom, from its terrible dungeon design and enemy wave spawning to the dialog wheel and quest design. There is nothing about that game that I found enjoyable enough to be worth sticking around for the entirety of an experience that is miserable.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do it.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Aside from one section of the game, The Fade, Dragon Age: Origins is a fun RPG and absolutely worth playing.

I totally forgot about that part; it was definitely a little annoying but I still feel like everything else about the game makes up for it plus some! Thankfully that part isn't even too long.

I would give DA:O my strongest recommendation! It is definitely high up there on my personal list of all-time favorite RPGs and I think the $5 is an awesome deal for it.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By endoworks

DOA is a great game, i highly recommend it if you have the time.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started a test character since it seems that gender, race, and living situation affects the start of the story and I went with a female elf from the city (rogue class because I don't want to cast magic myself, but I did play an Adept in ME because the combat was more active).

I played her as a tough chick and she killed all the human rapey dudes. I really liked it. I always end up going with female character in these kinds of games because if I can't make the dude to look exactly like me then I don't want to play as a guy. Mass Effect and The Witcher have set male characters with a voice so it isn't an issue there, but if I'm going to look at a character from the back for 100 hours it's better if its a chick.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By gogosox82

@golguin said:

What should I do?

Is this for pc or console and does it include the dlc or no? Either way, I'd say its worth it because its a great game. Hopefully this includes the dlc because the expansion is really good. Only issue I have with this game is the dude in your camp that sells you dlc if you don't have it (Seriously, fuck that guy and fuck EA/Bioware for putting that in the game like that. Totally immersion breaking). But yeah, you should definitely play especially if you liked Mass Effect b/c DA is better (well at least DA: O was better than any of the mass effect games).