Posted by GERALTITUDE (2945 posts) 1 year, 9 days ago

Poll: Should I buy Mario Galaxy or Mario Galaxy 2? (55 votes)

Mario Galaxy 49%
Mario Galaxy 2 51%

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

I got a Wii last Christmas that I've barely played. Really been wanting to shine get with my main man Mario but dunno which game to buy.

What do you think?

Start with Mario Galaxy? Or jump to Mario Galaxy 2? In all likeliness, I won't play them both.

#1 Posted by alternate (2682 posts) -

First one. Second has arguably better level design but is harder. One will get you familiar with the crappy controls.

#3 Posted by Otacon (2208 posts) -

Mario Galaxy is a superb game. I'm afraid I'm guilty of owning Galaxy 2 and barely playing it. I'm sure it's just as brilliant, I just haven't found the time yet.

#4 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2945 posts) -

@alternate: but how could I pass on better level design!? Also when you say crappy controls: do I have to use the Wiimote for this game or can I get a pro controller?

#5 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

I'd say probably either.

I don't know what that guy is talking about, the game controls just fine.

There is no real story to speak of in the first game, so you're not really missing out on anything by going to the second game. But, that being said, the first game was challenging enough, but never really difficult. So, if you are looking for a difficult Mario game, choose the second.

#6 Edited by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@geraltitude: You have to use Wiimote and Nunchuk. The controls are definitely not crappy, but they aren't as good as the game would be with a classic controller/gamecube controller.

#7 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3030 posts) -

Get both!

#8 Posted by Sonmi (21 posts) -

Start with the first one, then get 2.

Both are amazing games, but you're probably better off getting familiar with the original before starting the sequel.

#9 Edited by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

@geraltitude: Both games are really good. I think the 2nd one is better and a little bit longer than the first one, but that's just my opinion. I think it's better to start with the first. Even if that is the case, neither one should be passed up. Just be aware that they can be easier than you think, and that it's not too much of a long Mario experience either. The games are certainly memorable though, and they have an amazing soundtrack.

If you want a game to play for Wii, then you can try other games like:

Pikmin 2

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Nice 40+ hour game

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Lots of Replay Value. Can be either a platformer or a beat-em-up game because of the different modes. You can fight others online too if you can find anyone to fight with!

Mario Kart Wii - If you like racing - You can go online if you can find anyone to race, which may be hard.

Excitebots: Trick Racing - if you like racing

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Rayman Origins - Which is a wonderful platformer by the way. I think it's better and much harder than New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Donkey Kong Country Returns - Another wonderful platformer that is tough as nails, and is long enough to satisfy. Beautiful environments and wonderful music too.

#10 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

#11 Posted by CitizenCoffeeCake (475 posts) -

Two because it has an overworld map and a face ship.

#12 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

The first game is more "open". It has a hub world and bigger levels with multiple objectives, similar to Mario 64.

Galaxy 2 is a lot more linear, with a world map and more straight forward levels with a lot more 2D sections.

It depends which of those you prefer, but in my opinion the original was far superior.

#13 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Galaxy 2 is basically a level pack. That being said, they are some incredibly creative and challenging levels. It also has tons of content after the base game.

I'm the kind of person who says always start with the first game though. So Galaxy 1.

#14 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1449 posts) -

If you're only going to play one of the two, Galaxy 2 is without question the better game in my mind. They each have the same number of stars, but Galaxy 1 is more like 64 and Sunshine in that each level has half a dozen stars meaning you play each level many times. In the sequel, each level has only a handful of stars, which results in less replaying of each level and far more levels overall. This also means that levels are better designed because they longer have to accommodate as many different objectives.

#15 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

You should play both, but 2 is the better game imo.

#16 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

2 is a better game. Better level design, more variety, and a fan-fucking-tastic soundtrack.

#17 Edited by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

If you're really set on only playing one of them, you should go with 2, but you should really play both.

#18 Edited by Melvargh (489 posts) -

Mario Galaxy 2 is superior. I've rarely had as much fun playing a game as I did playing MG2.

The creativity on display in 2 is worlds beyond the first one, which itself was, in my opinion, the best Mario game and best platformer out there until 2. It's like nonstop ingenuity and clever design, and the ideas are rarely reused.

Go buy Mario Galaxy 2.

#19 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2945 posts) -

Very interesting responses! Seems to be skewing just barely in the way of Galaxy 1.

@wintersnowblind, @tireyo: any estimate on how long the game is? I thought at one point I heard there were lots of secret levels... am I confusing mario games here?

Well I'm a little bit bummed I have to use the wiimote but I guess that's OK, no biggie.

Really appreciate the suggestions tireyo, I was wondering what I should buy for Wii. The only games I had thought of were Mario Galaxy and Silent Hill. Wanted a good RPG too... Totally forgot about Donkey Kong, but maybe I should check it out after all. I loved the shit out of SSBM but I doubt I'd enjoy one of those games by myself.

Did anyone play Skyward Sword and is it better than Twilight Princess? TP is fine but I definitely ran out of steam on the way to the end.

#20 Posted by Unilad (555 posts) -

Buy both.

My work here is done.

#21 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5242 posts) -

Mario Galaxy 1

#22 Edited by Bane122 (783 posts) -

Something to consider is Galaxy 2 is apparently out of print. Amazon only has new copies from a third party that's charging $57, and other retailers no longer have it. It may pay to get that one now as it's price may go up later on.

#23 Posted by jsnyder82 (726 posts) -

Mario Galaxy 2 is the best game I've played this entire generation. So, yeah, that one.

#24 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

Very interesting responses! Seems to be skewing just barely in the way of Galaxy 1.

@wintersnowblind, @tireyo: any estimate on how long the game is? I thought at one point I heard there were lots of secret levels... am I confusing mario games here?

Well I'm a little bit bummed I have to use the wiimote but I guess that's OK, no biggie.

Really appreciate the suggestions tireyo, I was wondering what I should buy for Wii. The only games I had thought of were Mario Galaxy and Silent Hill. Wanted a good RPG too... Totally forgot about Donkey Kong, but maybe I should check it out after all. I loved the shit out of SSBM but I doubt I'd enjoy one of those games by myself.

Did anyone play Skyward Sword and is it better than Twilight Princess? TP is fine but I definitely ran out of steam on the way to the end.

I'd say about 20-40 hours on average for each depending on your skill, interest, and determination to collect everything in the Galaxy games.

I've played both Zeldas. If you'd think you'd like a medieval "Lord of the Rings" style Zelda, then Twilight Princess is it. Skyward Sword is fine, but I'd have to agree with what my friend BillyTheKid had to say about it. I like Twilight Princess better because the environments actually felt like Zelda more so, and I loved the wolf part and the Twilight world! Skyward Sword is gorgeous, but good graphics doesn't mean everything. They are both great games, but I thought Twilight Princess was better. It had a better story and setting for sure. Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time are my favorite Zelda games though, and blows these two Zelda games out the door!

You also can check into some cheaper games that are available on the Virtual Console. Things you've may have missed out on can be played on Wii, and you can make some use out of that that classic controller of yours. There are quite a few hidden gems hidden within the Wii's Virtual Console, and there are a few great older RPGs.

#25 Posted by mikey87144 (1664 posts) -

Mario Galaxy 2 was the best game I played this gen and this is coming from a guy who bought and sold his Wii and had to borrow a friends just to beat play this game. The second is better in every way than the first.

#26 Posted by alternate (2682 posts) -

@geraltitude: You have to use Wiimote and Nunchuk. The controls are definitely not crappy, but they aren't as good as the game would be with a classic controller/gamecube controller.

A matter of opinion- shake to spin ,etc is bullshit

#27 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I seriously thought Super Mario Galaxy was really disappointing. I think they really got it together with the sequel though, so I absolutely recommend Galaxy 2.

#28 Posted by Caliginous (37 posts) -

The level design and difficulty level of 2 will be more satisfying. Both games are pretty fun, but the 2nd one is a better game and has more game time per dollar spent.

#29 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@alternate: Fair, but "crappy" controls is more Ninjabread Man or something like that. I don't like the controls in Galaxy either, but they're at least serviceable, yeah?

#30 Edited by TehPickle (450 posts) -

They're both excellent, but Galaxy 2 is superior in every way. Easily the best 3D platformer I've ever played.

On the Zelda note, I played TP at launch and played it out of more of a sense of duty than anything. Didn't really do anything for me. Skyward Sword I only picked up recently for my Wii U, and I didn't even reach the first proper dungeon before my interest fizzled out. I think that's more of a statement of my feeling jaded with the formula, rather than a mark against the game itself, though.

#31 Posted by csl316 (8128 posts) -

2 is my favorite Wii game. Fun, creative, challenging. While the first to me just seemed ok.

#32 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2945 posts) -

Ok so now it seems to be swinging in the favour of SMG2!

@mikey87144: that's a hell of an endorsement! Sweet. I'm actually super pumped to play either of these games.

@tireyo: OoT & Wind Waker are my favourites actually. I liked TP (played it on GameCube) but I dunno maybe it just hadn't been long enough since the last Zelda. Actually maybe I just don't like "transforming Link" games. I liked Majora's Mask enough but playing as Deku Link... not so much. Been hunting "Best ofs" for the virual console - great idea.