Should I get a 3DS or Wii U?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DoctorWelch

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DoctorWelch

I am definitely getting one of these within the next month. I know there aren't that many people that have a Wii U yet, but there are a ton of people that have a 3DS.

For some reason, even though that stream didn't make it look all that great, I have a strong desire to get a Wii U. On the other hand, I could just get a 3DS and it'd be about half the price and have way more games. Yet, I have a DS and still have tons of games for that system I haven't even played yet. Either way, I'm not sure there are that many games I'm all that excited about…maybe I should just get neither…I'm adding that as an option now.

I feel like I'm heavily leaning towards the Wii U, but convince me otherwise 3DS owners!

Edit: Oh, sorry mods. Move this to the WIi U boards if needed.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By colourful_hippie

One has a decent amount of games worth playing while the other one you'll have to wait and see on. It's up to you.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Levio

Would you rather have two great screens to play your games on or just a really bad time?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By GunstarRed

I was faced with a similar decision, despite already owning a 3DS. I really, really want that Pikachu XL, but for a little more money I could just get a Wii U. I decided after all of the livestream stuff that I was just going to get the bigger 3DS because I know the games are good on it. (because y'know I've played them) I really want a Wii U at some point, but when looking at the launch lineup and hearing about all the awkward account stuff I think it would be better to wait and see how that console turns out over time.

Also, Mario 3D land is fucking awesome.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hunkulese

I'll say Wii U. The 3ds was the best purchase I've made in the last two years but that's mostly because it introduced me to the amazing DS library and you already have a DS.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JasonR86

Those are wildly different options. I don't see the point in buying a Wii U right now. But the 3DS has already proven itself with a number of really good games. Plus the new Sony and Microsoft systems should be coming soon and look to blow the Wii U out of the water. I wouldn't bother with it.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Sackmanjones

Hand held or console. If go with the console

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By crusader8463

Neither one has anything worth playing. I have had my 3DS for a year and have yet to find a single game that was worth playing on it. It's been collecting dust in the box since I bought it. As for the WiiU, it does not look interesting in the least bit as it has no games worth spending $400-$500 on, has buggy online, bleak looking support in the future from third parties, and it will become outdated hardware in a year once the PS4/X-Box 3 comes out.

I guess if you had to have one the 3DS has a bigger collection of games, but I don't think any of them have been interesting in the least bit thus far.

Personally, I would wait until E3 to see what kind of games they will be getting in the next year and go from there. As a rule of thumb I don't buy a new platform until it has 4-5 games I can't play anywhere else. So as it stands now I wouldn't buy ether. In fact my vote goes for a Vita if you are looking for a handheld. Persona 4 Golden, the free games on Playstation+, and the backlog of awesome PSP and PSX games you can get on PSN make it my favourite platform, next to PC, going right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

3DS has a better software library right now, plus you could always play DS games and stuff so I guess I'd suggest that.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By murisan

3DS or save your money

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aetheldod

Yeah unless you are itching for ZombiU or nintendo land/NSMB2 then theres no reason to get a WiiU yet ... unless you never had a Wii and wish to play the few good Wii games , so a 3DS sound like a better option for you

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cannonballbam

Get both.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DoctorWelch

@Levio said:

Would you rather have two great screens to play your games on or just a really bad time?

That's a toughy.

@cannonballBAM said:

Get both.

If only.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bishna

Get a 3DS, sell your old DS and get some awesome games. Do what I am gonna do for the Wii U, wait until their are more games, the kinks have been worked out of the OS, and hopefully a price drop and bundle.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SeanFoster

I think Super Mario 3D Land is worth playing, get a 3DS

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iam3green

i voted wiiu. i just like consoles better than handhelds.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By triple07

I'm trying to make the same decision as you. Right now I'm leaning towards a 3DS since all of the launch games for the Wii U seem pretty underwhelming and the livestream didn't fill me with confidence with Nintendo. Plus there are some genuinely interesting games on the 3DS already like Pushmo, Mario 3D land, and for me the new Harvest moon.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By nightriff

I would go Wii U....just don't play my 3DS enough to justify anyone getting it. Kinda sad that I would rather get DS games over new 3DS games.

Avatar image for burningstickman
BurningStickMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By BurningStickMan

3DS. Specifically, the 3DS XL because it will add value to your DS library as well. I've found just about everything much easier to play on the larger screen than the original DS model, and that talk about games looking fuzzy seems bunk (or my eyes are just crappy).

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Marz

3DS has been out long enough to have a games library, If you buy a Wii U now, you'll be waiting around for the promise of great new games in the future.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AgentofChaos

It really is hard to say right now. If the Wii U can get some solid games behind it that aren't merely first party games I would say go for that. The 3DS has some great first-party Nintendo titles, but other than about 3-4 games, there isn't much selection.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#23  Edited By BeachThunder

Well, what other systems do you have currently?

Anyway, regardless, my answer would probably be 3DS. There are a bunch of good games on the 3DS and it's a big upgrade from the regular DS. In terms of the WiiU, I'm not sure I see a good reason to pick it up if you have a reasonable PC or 360/PS3.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DoctorWelch

@BeachThunder said:

Well, what other systems do you have currently?

Anyway, regardless, my answer would probably be 3DS. There are a bunch of good games on the 3DS and it's a big upgrade from the regular DS. In terms of the WiiU, I'm not sure I see a good reason to pick it up if you have a reasonable PC or 360/PS3.

I have a high end PC, 360, and PS3.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#26  Edited By sammo21

Hard to say, honestly. I have both but I hardly ever play my 3DS or my WiiU. I think they are both OK but they don't either have enough quality games for me to boot up either regularly. I did just have a great time with Zelda on 3DS but now I am done with it I don't think I will be turning my 3DS on again for quite a while. Both 3DS and WiiU have Mario Kart and Smash Bros coming, so its hard to say.