• 61 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

So I'm looking into buying a new console at the moment.

I've already got a 360 (fourth :P), and a pretty sweet PC so those bases are covered. I've just been looking at getting a PS3 because the price is a lot more reasonable now then when it was released (in my opinion), and it's got a pretty good spread of exclusives.

Of course the same can be said for the 3DS and the announcement of a new Pokemon game is pretty. They'd both be pretty much exclusively be played indoors as I don't really game on the move - got a kindle and music for that :)

I'd really appreciate any help in making the decision as i'm pretty stuck, also if the 3DS seems like the answer whether the 3DS/XL is better.

Thanks Duders.

#2 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2576 posts) -

I personaly couldn't imagine gaming without a Sony Console.

There's far too many unique exclusives on the system.

#3 Posted by KingOfAsh (51 posts) -

If you already have a console, then I'd suggest getting a handheld

#4 Posted by DarthOrange (3495 posts) -
@Niall_Sg1 said: 

I've already got a 360 (fourth :P), and a pretty sweet PC so those bases are covered. I've just been looking at getting a PS3 because the price is a lot more reasonable now then when it was released (in my opinion), and it's got a pretty good spread of exclusives.

It has the *best* spread of exclusives. And with all the collections that Sony has released picking up the great exclusives will be super cheap. Then again who knows how long until the new set of consoles. The 3DS will probably remain relevant for longer. Tough call, it depends on whether or not you mind buying a console that is on its last legs.
#5 Posted by ChinaDontCare (111 posts) -

New Pokemon will capture hundreds of hours if you go down that rabbit hole.

PS3 still has great exclusive but a 3DS is way more enticing cause its not on a big screen, ITS on a little screen that makes it more personal

#6 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (4428 posts) -

The 3ds certainly has a few games that are worth playing.Plus if you havn't ever had a Ds there's an entire backlog.The Ps3 also has several excellent exclusives.The Uncharted games and The Last of Us are reason alone to buy one.It really comes down to the exclusives,though.Since you already have a 360 and Pc,you have access to all the third party stuff.As far as the 3ds,the 3d gimmick is cool at first,but wears itself thin fast.If you do decide to go 3ds,then get the Xl.I personally like the bigger screen,a it isn't as much a strain on my eyes.

#7 Posted by KingOfAsh (51 posts) -

Oh, and Scribblenauts Unlimited on 3DS is another reason for the 3DS. Love that game.

#8 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

The 3DS's doesn't have a big list of great games yet which can't be said for the PS3. I'd get a PS3 as it has some of the best games of this generation.

#9 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (4850 posts) -

If you're at home I'd pick the thing that can plug into my TV and not look terrible.

#10 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -

Look at the exclusives and see which one has more games that you want to play.

#11 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Get the PS3, or I will find you...

#12 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2141 posts) -

The 3DS is just starting to move forward and become a worthy hand held. The PS3 on the other hand is starting to lose its steam as the next gen will be rolling in in the not so distant future. 
 
Personally I'd say there's a lot more on the PS3 but assuming the next Playstation is backwards compatible you might as well wait for that.

#13 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I would vote for you to get a PS3. Many great games to play, and you can probably get them pretty cheap now.

#14 Posted by skyline7284 (497 posts) -

I would wait for a 3DS redesign before picking it up (Mainly for battery life). PS3 is a good choice, and it plays Blu-Rays if you're into that.

#15 Posted by TAFAE (150 posts) -

@KingOfAsh: Scribblenauts PC is probably the best version because of Steam Workshop support, especially since OP doesn't need the 3DS for being on the go.

PS3 is probably what I'd get. 3DS has a long time left in its lifespan and will only get cheaper, PS3 probably doesn't have more than a year and a half before it stops seeing new games, so get a PS3 while its still relevant and you have an interest in those games.

#16 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

The PS3 really has some fantastic exclusives and they would be sooo cheap by now.

#17 Posted by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -

PS3. Uncharted 2.

#18 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (4850 posts) -

@Turtlebird95 said:

Personally I'd say there's a lot more on the PS3 but assuming the next Playstation is backwards compatible you might as well wait for that.

I thought that it was stated numerous times that this would be unlikely. Especially since the PS3 had it's backwards compatible capabilities removed.

#19 Posted by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

Pee Ess Thrizzle

(Hint: It means PS3)

#20 Posted by Spoonman671 (4371 posts) -

If you have no intention of gaming outside the house, then I can't imagine any reason why you would choose a 3DS over a PS3.

Online
#21 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2141 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

Personally I'd say there's a lot more on the PS3 but assuming the next Playstation is backwards compatible you might as well wait for that.

I thought that it was stated numerous times that this would be unlikely. Especially since the PS3 had it's backwards compatible capabilities removed.

Yeah I just looked up a few rumors on that and it seems that it won't be backwards compatible. (Based only on rumors, of course) Maybe they want to milk out PS3 sales like they did with the PS2.
#22 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I wouldn't bother with either. Wait until the PS4 is announced, see if it'll be backwards compatible, and then pick up a PS3 if not. Honestly, unless you've missed out on the PlayStation line in general, I don't think it's worth a few hundred dollars just to play a few games. But if you go back and play the older PS2 HD remakes or PS1 PSN games, and all that, you might get your worth out of it.

#23 Posted by procrasturbate (277 posts) -

3DS.

#24 Posted by chrissedoff (2041 posts) -

I was about to say that the Playstation 3 was a slam dunk here, but now that I think about it, I don't know how much longer the PS3 is going to be a current-generation system. Like, if your intention is to pick up the system and catch up on all the Playstation games you missed over the years, doing that might be a whole lot cheaper a year from now. The 3DS is going to stay current for the foreseeable future. If I was you, I'd still pick the PS3, because I've got a lot of enjoyment from mine in the years I've had it and because I don't like to play portable games very much, even at home. Given the fact that you seem to feel differently about portable systems and that you've already missed out on most of the PS3's lifespan, you might come to a different conclusion.

#25 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

it would probably be a good idea to wait for the PS4. Either it will be backwards compatible or the PS3 will go down in price.

in the meantime, the 3DS has plenty of games to keep you entertained.

#26 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

@Turtlebird95 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

Personally I'd say there's a lot more on the PS3 but assuming the next Playstation is backwards compatible you might as well wait for that.

I thought that it was stated numerous times that this would be unlikely. Especially since the PS3 had it's backwards compatible capabilities removed.

Yeah I just looked up a few rumors on that and it seems that it won't be backwards compatible. (Based only on rumors, of course) Maybe they want to milk out PS3 sales like they did with the PS2.

I haven't read much of the rumors, but I think that if it's not backwards compatible, then they will definitely have a huge backlog of games on the store.

#27 Posted by ImaTreee (209 posts) -

PS3 PLEAZE...

#28 Posted by TooWalrus (12970 posts) -

I couldn't be happier with my PS3, I bought the thing and immediately had a long list of incredible games newly available to me. I can't say the same about my 3DS... but a few of those games are pretty rad. I'd still go with the PS3.

#29 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

I also have a 360 and a good PC so I would choose the 3DS over the POS3.

#30 Posted by McShank (1628 posts) -

PS3 if you want something to do at home and dont need on the go gaming. I am getting either a 3ds or vita soon myself But i already own all the consoles of this gen and my DS lite is slowly starting to show its age after the hundreds of hours of pokemon, dragon warriors, and my recent excursion into the Ace Attorney Series. + They brought StarFox 64 to the 3ds and I lost count how many times I would play that back to back as a youngling just to see how much faster I could beat it.

#31 Posted by BeachThunder (11260 posts) -

Definitely the 3DS, there's no reason to have a PS3 if you already have a PC - and four (!?) Xboxes...

The 3DS is actually a very good handheld - there's now a good variety of things in the eShop (including some great virtual console games); also, if you don't have a DS, then there's a large backlog of DS games.

#32 Posted by PerryVandell (2100 posts) -

Tough to say as both systems have their pros and cons. With the PS3, you're getting a system with a number of superb exclusives (Uncharted series, Journey, Infamous 1&2, MGS 4, LittleBigPlanet 1&2, Demon Souls etc.) and has a few more exclusives on the way (The Last of Us, Beyond, maybe The Last Guardian) but it's also nearing the end of its console cycle.

3DS has a few good exclusives already, (Super Mario 3D Land, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Theatrhthm Final Fantasy) but nearly as many as the PS3. However, the 3DS still has a ways to go before finishing its cycle and has a new Fire Emblem and Pokemon on the way. Really, it depends on how much you game outside your home and which kinds of games you prefer.

As for the 3DS vs. the XL, every review I've read puts the XL above its predecessor -- even with the lower pixel density.

#33 Posted by spankingaddict (2646 posts) -

i laughed

#34 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -

The PS3 has dozens of fantastic AAA exclusives. The 3DS has 3....

#35 Posted by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

Tough call. I plan on playing both my 3DS and PS3 more than anything else this year.

Since you already own a 360, and PC however - I'd recommend picking up a 3DS for a good handheld experience. The library is small(er), but reasonably solid so far.

Pro-tip: get an XL if you plan on playing through the older DS classics on the system. The aspect ratio gets wonky with a standard 3DS.

#36 Posted by xyzygy (9616 posts) -

If you have a 360 and PC, why not go for a portable? The 3DS looks awesome and you can't play it's games anywhere else, unlike the vast vast majority of PS3 games. You'll basically just use it for exclusives.

#37 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2167 posts) -

I would choose a PS3 over a 3DS purely because playing on a big screen is better than playing on a small screen and like the OP said gaming on the move isn't a priority so there goes the 3DS's advantage.

#38 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

The PS3 is the most worthwhile console of this generation so you should get one of those.

#39 Posted by JoeyRavn (4885 posts) -

I would get a 3DS. Then again, I have a pretty sweet PC and I love handhelds (even my PSP gets some action every few months). And I really couldn't care less about Sony exclusives. So, yeah.

#40 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Save your money for a PC upgrade or, god forbid, a next gen console.

#41 Posted by probablytuna (3442 posts) -

I'd say PS3.

#42 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

Depends how interested you are in hopping onto the next-gen systems, which are both likely to be released by the end of the year/early next year.

The PS3 has a lot of exclusives, but it depends how much they appeal to you. Personally, I'm more than happy just using my PC and handhelds now and the 3DS has a pretty good batch of games coming in the future. Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Dragon Quest VII alone are enough reason to own one, in my opinion.

#43 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1543 posts) -

PSTripple

#44 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

Thanks for all the responses guys, much appreciated.

@BeachThunder said:

Definitely the 3DS, there's no reason to have a PS3 if you already have a PC - and four (!?) Xboxes...

All four xboxs are at the pleasure of Microsoft of course :P

@MordeaniisChaos said:

I wouldn't bother with either. Wait until the PS4 is announced, see if it'll be backwards compatible, and then pick up a PS3 if not. Honestly, unless you've missed out on the PlayStation line in general, I don't think it's worth a few hundred dollars just to play a few games. But if you go back and play the older PS2 HD remakes or PS1 PSN games, and all that, you might get your worth out of it.

I know that the 360/PS3 cycle is coming to an end but it's more than likely I'll be picking up a 'Xbox 720' over a PS4 next gen just cause that's what all my friends have - so I'm not really thinking about waiting a year to buy a PS4 and hope it's backward compatible. I've had a PS1 and PS2 but I was pretty young for both so the games I played on them were mostly stuff like Rayman and some Dinosaur fighting game...etc.

Thinking about it I just want to ask, can you buy like PS2 games and PS1 games on the PS3 online store? That'd be pretty awesome..and it seems like the way to go would be a 500gb PS3 over a 12GB.

@skyline7284 said:

I would wait for a 3DS redesign before picking it up (Mainly for battery life). PS3 is a good choice, and it plays Blu-Rays if you're into that.

That's a really good point, the 3DS has been out a while now and I know Nintendo love pumping out redesigns..has there been ANY news at all on a redesign though? Looking at the dates between the DS / DS Lite / DSi it was about two years and change..

I think I'm leaning more toward the PS3, but the fact this generation is so close to ending does make me think maybe I'm better of waiting to see what's coming out and if the PS4 is backwards compatible..Also though if the 3DS is close to a redesign, I could totally see them dropping one in time for Pokemon X & Y - it might be better of waiting for that.

Oh I hate decisions...but thanks guys for your feedback it's certainly made me think about some factors I hadn't even considered before :D.

#45 Posted by DeF (4692 posts) -

I honestly think these kinds of threads are dumb.

YOU have to know which one you want. Look at the games available and those that are announced. Now think about which ones you want to play. Purchase system accordingly.

#46 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

@DeF said:

I honestly think these kinds of threads are dumb.

YOU have to know which one you want. Look at the games available and those that are announced. Now think about which ones you want to play. Purchase system accordingly.

Yeah I get what you're saying but it's nice to have some outside input from people who own one of both consoles. Looking at the PS3 it has stuff like: Killzone, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Heavy Rain, MGS4 etc... While the 3DS has Pokemon, Mario, Scribblenauts, Professor Layton, Pushmo, Rayman etc.

I haven't just thought 'Hey lets buy a new console..lets ask Giantbomb', I've looked into each respective platforms and both have a lot of positives and negatives after wanting some more first hand information I decided to ask for some other peoples views and inputs..nothing wrong with that.

#47 Posted by Grillbar (1772 posts) -

can i ask why the wiiU was not in your throughs

they are different beasts for different purposes. so from what you said i would say get a ps3. i absolutely love mine and my 3ds xl is just collecting dust in a draw. oh and just get the slim not the newer paper model. its cheaper and honestly way better, the only real pro for that one is its a bit smaller and you can get the option of a larger hdd then in the slim. and since you allready have a pc and a xbox its properly not going to be your main gaming console and even if it was i still have not filled up my 320gb since i sometimes but rarely delete games installed from disc that i know i will not play within the most recent future.

@KingOfAsh said:

Oh, and Scribblenauts Unlimited on 3DS is another reason for the 3DS. Love that game.

also on pc. so theres that. instead i would properly have said chrashmo, the layton games and the rythm games

#48 Posted by JoeyRavn (4885 posts) -

@Grillbar said:

also on pc. so theres that. instead i would properly have said chrashmo, the layton games and the rythm games

And Virtue's. Last. Reward.

#49 Posted by DeF (4692 posts) -

@Niall_Sg1 said:

@DeF said:

I honestly think these kinds of threads are dumb.

YOU have to know which one you want. Look at the games available and those that are announced. Now think about which ones you want to play. Purchase system accordingly.

Yeah I get what you're saying but it's nice to have some outside input from people who own one of both consoles. Looking at the PS3 it has stuff like: Killzone, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Heavy Rain, MGS4 etc... While the 3DS has Pokemon, Mario, Scribblenauts, Professor Layton, Pushmo, Rayman etc.

I haven't just thought 'Hey lets buy a new console..lets ask Giantbomb', I've looked into each respective platforms and both have a lot of positives and negatives after wanting some more first hand information I decided to ask for some other peoples views and inputs..nothing wrong with that.

Sure, asking for input is not what's wrong with it, it's that most replies don't really offer anything substantial other than championing the poster's favorite system.

@Grillbar said:

@KingOfAsh said:

Oh, and Scribblenauts Unlimited on 3DS is another reason for the 3DS. Love that game.

also on pc. so theres that. instead i would properly have said chrashmo, the layton games and the rythm games

The 3DS version is probably the least interesting version of the Scribblenauts Unlimited. It lacks the object editor, the thing that makes the whole game so awesome (and is responsible for the game's title!). If you want the full experience, you need to play this on Wii U or PC.

#50 Edited by Slaegar (626 posts) -

As an argument for the  3DS. The PS3 has a lot of games, but how many of those exclusives are really worth getting a console for? Really bad FPS games? Mediocre TPS games? This generation should be coming to a close soon, while the 3DS/Vita are still quite new and should see new games for a long time. If you have a good PC you already have a better place to play multiplatform games.
 

@SethPhotopoulos

said:

If you're at home I'd pick the thing that can plug into my TV and not look terrible.

Define "terrible"