Should I get MGSV or Witcher 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should I get MGSV or Witcher 3? (266 votes)

MGSV 41%
Witcher 3 41%
Carrots 18%

2 weeks ago I got fallout 4, and I'm just bored with it. I like to think about it and hear people talk about it waaaay more than I like to play it. I find the gameplay And quests boring.

I get paid at the end of this week and can't decide whether to buy witcher 3 or MGSV. Stealth games are probably my favorite genera (where is splinter cell 7?!) but the witcher looks so very interesting. Is the witcher fun to play?

Help me decide

• 
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Humanity

If you like stealth games and generally action oriented gameplay then go with MGS V. It has a ton of options for sneaking around, fluid controls and fun game design that keeps you coming back for more.

If you want a thick story with decent gameplay then get the Witcher. It controls fine and the combat is alright but ultimately thats not the strongest part of that game. Witcher is also a very long game so you will get your moneys worth if you dig it.

I'd say both games are very much at odds with each other. One has amazing gameplay and a rather shallow story, the other has a very rich narrative but shallow gameplay that doesn't ever come into it's own.

Choice is yours, but if you really love stealth and got bored by Fallout, it kind of sounds like you'd be better off getting MGS.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are good games but I would go with MGS. It's much more fun to play to me because the gameplay is among the best ever created and I think it's the best stealth game ever made (gameplay wise).

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGSV vs Witcher 3 is like the fundamental recurring conflict on this forum now.

I'm going to say MGSV. If you're going to listen to the game of the year stuff here, they're probably going to talk about the story spoilers (if you haven't heard them already). Plus it looks like MGSV isn't going to be getting any DLC wheras Witcher has been, so you may be able to get a complete edition further down the line if you've waited this far.

And if stealth is your favourite genre, MGSV does it so so so so well.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3.

Best.Game.Ever.

kthxbai

Avatar image for shoguns_decapitator
Shoguns_Decapitator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stealth is your favourite genre and you had to ask if you should buy a stealth/action game over a chunky story RPG?

Carrots.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I like Witcher 3 more, but if you love stealth a lot MGSV is maybe the best for stealth that I have played. Right up there at the top. So I would recommend that.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A few caveats about MGS5.

While the gameplay is awesome the game has a lot of pretty repetitive sidequests (basically kill 3 tanks, kill 4 tanks, kill 5 tanks). Also the zones feel pretty devoid of any actual life. There are hardly any animals in the game and the only traffic that can be seen are the occasional military trucks going from one base to another. Also there arent any civilians to be seen in any of the games villages. The only people living there are the soldiers.

Also while part 1 (the main story) is pretty good the second part consists of mostly repeat missions from the first part. The game also has way too few boss fights compared to other metal gear solid games. That said the shooting feels absolutely great and you can tackle the enemy in multiple different ways.

As for witcher 3´s combat it isnt that clear cut. Some people find the combat in witcher 3 to be absolutely horrible while some people think it is pretty good. I have played all of the witcher games myself so i fall into the latter category which likes the combat in witcher games. Some people also swear that the game is impossible to play with a mouse and keyboard (played the game on death march difficulty with a mouse and keyboard).

In the end it is a matter of personal preference. Either way both games are excellent games. You cant really go wrong by choosing either of those games.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Cav829

Both are good, but based on your likes, I'd say get MGS V. I mean if you're into stealth, from a gameplay standpoint, it is hard to think of a better stealth-action game out there.

Witcher 3's main draw is its ability to immerse yourself in its world and its story. It's certainly a very good game, but the gameplay is not the reason people rave about it for the most part. I mean in comparison to say Skyrim there is more depth to the combat, but it's still shallow as hell compared to something like MGS V. @humanity's analysis is pretty spot on there.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Witcher 3. I found MGS to be good fun at first but for me it became terribly boring after awhile and the story wasn't enough to keep me going.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

on what platfrom do you play games?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGSV is the best stealth game I've ever played.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fetchfox

I freakin' love The Witcher 3, but based on your preference and what I've heard about MGS5, that's the game for you.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witcher 3 seems like it needs near constant attention or else you'll forget all of the systems going on ingame.

MGSV has fun gameplay, but I felt toward the end that the FOB requirements and fulton system were getting in the way. I like to do my missions silent but side ops I like to experiment with different weapons. This leads to killing enemies instead of fulton extraction which directly impacts what you can unlock in game. Booo!

Carrots OTOH are yummy goodness ^.^

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have such a bad taste in my mouth by the way Konami behaved post-release with MGSV that I have a hard time recommending it without knowing what the current state of the meta game is firsthand. On the other hand, CD Project Red has been nothing but forthright and accommodating to their audience. Nothing to feel bad about with giving them money.

That said, both games were a lot of fun to play. MGSV sounds like it might be more up your alley. Witcher's best moments do come from its narrative, character and world building. MGSV's best moments are emergent from well designed gameplay systems operating together. Witcher is probably a little too dense for its own good while MGSV feels like it didn't cook long enough.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kasaioni

It depends on how much you like stealth. If you really like stealth gameplay, then I'd say go for MGSV. But if you're looking for something that's more fulfilling in a plot/story/world sense, go for the Witcher.

I'd say that if there's any big difference between these two games, it's that one is an open-world, and the other is a sandbox.

or a game that seemed to have been stripped of all humor due to the turbulent development cycle?

@dudeglove This is such a huge assumption that I see people throwing around all the time with no basis. Kojima stressed ad nauseam before the release of the game that it would have a more serious tone, and gameplay is where people would find comic relief. This is the game where Kojima wanted initially to exclude the iconic exclamation point when being spotted because he thought it didn't contrast well with the tone of the game.

Stop assuming that it was because of some supposed trouble in the development of the game that it is the way it is, instead of for some creative vision.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Mgsv is the better game, but witcher 3 is a more fulfilling experience. I voted mgsv because that's my preference, but both are fantastic. Too bad you didn't buy them during black Friday because both were pretty cheap.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OurSin_360

If your more for interesting story, detective work, and fantasy setting go with Witcher 3.

If your more for military setting, weak on story but heavy on gameplay action or stealth, and have a quirky sense of humor go with MGSV.

Personally, i still haven't beaten the witcher yet but have 120 hrs into it and enjoyed playing it, i put 160hrs into MGSV and beat the main story completely but still haven't done all the side missions. MGSV is the most fun i've had all year, but i have a quirky sense of humor and really like metal gear even when it's light on story.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's basically the quintessential question of story vs gameplay. If stealth is your favorite genre you need to play MGSV though, it does it better than anything else out there.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played The Witcher 3 but it sounds great. MGS V falls apart and gets repetitive eventually.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3. There's a reason why it won GOTY.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By probablytuna

If you hadn't said that stealth genre is your favourite, I would've chosen Witcher 3. I love Metal Gear but I feel like I enjoyed my time more with Witcher 3 than with MGSV. Both are great games though and I wish I had more time to play through them.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GaspoweR

I like the Witcher 3 more but in terms of your preferences I guess you should go with MGS 5.

Also I voted for carrots.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also like stealth, so MGS V should be no brainer yeah? Not even close. After 50 hours and not even finishing first chapter of Phantom Pain I deleted and installed SC Blacklist to wash away the bitter taste. I dare to say SC games are better stealth games than mgs, and MGS V just cemented that for me.

Witcher 3 bruh, it's something else.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Witcher 3 because it's cheaper.

Don't buy games at full price unless you know you're going to like them.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If stealth is your genre then MGS5 is your game. Best open world stealth ever.

Do you like good gameplay? Then MGS5 as well

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Sessh

Both are great and fun to play, but obviously very different. Since you really like stealth games you should probably go with MGS 5, it's one of the best of those.

Overall I definitely prefer The Witcher 3 (it's probably one of my favourite games ever) over MGS 5, not only because of all the shitty business Konami did after launch. (See my blog/list for more thoughts on both games.)

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you hadn't put the caveat "stealth games are my favorite genre" in there I probably would have recommended The Witcher 3, but MGSV is a lot of fun as a stealth game while still offering the capability to go guns blazing. I too LOVE stealth games (Come on Dishonored 2!) and was very satisfied with MGSV's offerings in that regard.

Both are good fun, but from the sounds of things you might enjoy Metal Gear Solid more than The Witcher 3.

Good luck!

notsonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

I couldn't get over the movement in Witcher 3. Even the patched stuff. The camera angle also feels...off, like everything is distorted and it's angled weird and has a fisheye lens. Stupid stuff aside, it also just didn't pull me in.

MGSV I was hooked and played it for 50+ hours. It's so smooth and the controls give you so many options and it all feels perfect and lets you do what you want to do.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Itwastuesday

I also found Fallout 4 to be boring but the Witcher is one of my favorite games this year. But so is MGSV. So I picked carrots

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Witcher 3 is the best game in a decade, MGSV is the best playing game of the year (and still hovering around the top 20 all time or so). Pick one. I don't think Metal Gear is going to be a game that you remember vividly in five years or whatever but the Witcher will be; however if you're someone exclusively concerned with immediate pleasure (i.e. almost everyone) then go with Metal Gear. If Metal Gear's story wasn't mediocre it might have some chance of contention, but that's just what it is. Metal Gear Online (non automatch) is likely to be the best online multiplayer on modern consoles for at least several years, if not the duration of this generation (assuming it isn't randomly cut off in the near future).

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I agree with @humanity sounds to me you are going to be a MGS person.

The nice thing about the 2 is that they are pretty radically different in what they offer. Mechanics sandbox gameply is MGS no question. Story atmosphere,lore, all that experience stuff is Witcher handsdown.

As for their weaknesses, I lean towards MGS's story stuff being a little better than Witcher's gameplay. Yeah MGS's story stuff is nowhere what you'd expect from a Kojima game, but it still is light years ahead of many comparable action games. But I really need to play more of Witcher before i make that verdict for myself.

I will also say if you are ever going to play MGS, play as soon as you can. Konami seems to patching in more game impairing F2P bullshit weekly. It's no bad enough to really bother me yet, but it's starting to get close.

So that's another reason to go MGS.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

My opinion. If you're invested in the MGS lore get MGSV. If not get the Witcher.

artfurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From someone who played both games in 2016: Mgsv all the way. Better graphics, better gameplay, better story and of course, so much better characters. While MGSV is a complete cinematic/gamming experience, TW3 is just another open-world RPG "elder scrolls" style with cartonish characters, generic RPG storytelling and faulty gameplay.In fact, Project Red may have spend a good ammount of money for so many over the top reviews. MGSV was the best game of 2015 for a wide margin and still one of the best games off all time. I'm so glad that I spend full price in MGSV and steam sales price in TW3 (around 10 bucks), otherwise I'll be so mad.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

This topic is almost 2 years old, I think by this point the person who created this poll found their answer.