#1 Posted by Emperor_Jimmu (249 posts) -

My girlfriend is of the opinion that games are for guys; shallow, immature and boring. There is nothing wrong with that, I'm sure I unfairly dismiss a lot of her music as populist dreck. I would just like to introduce her to an experience she has never had before. Has anybody else done this with their partner, and if so is Portal the best PC game do use? From what I remember there aren't any difficult twitch controls until the half-way mark. Also I would like to run through one of my favorite games again before the sequel comes out. 

#2 Posted by Daveyo520 (6651 posts) -

It sounds like you two love each other very much with how much you agree with each other.

#3 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

For a person of such beliefs - I doubt she would be too interested in Portal for too long. Give her the Sims of either iteration, worked to win over the ones I know.

#4 Posted by EpicSteve (6470 posts) -

if your girlfriend has never really played games, she can't handle a game that requires you to move a character and the camera at the same time. The puzzles will probably be too difficult to. Introduce her to Plants vs. Zombies, it's cute, simple, and doesn't require a lot of control. 

#5 Posted by Emperor_Jimmu (249 posts) -
@Daveyo520: Relationships aren't all about agreeing with a person. 
#6 Posted by Fallen189 (4931 posts) -
@Emperor_Jimmu said:
" My girlfriend is of the opinion that games are for guys; shallow, immature and boring.   
Well...she's right
#7 Posted by Chirag4 (585 posts) -
@Daveyo520 said:
" It sounds like you two love each other very much with how much you agree with each other. "
I can tell you're an expert on relationships.
#8 Posted by Daveyo520 (6651 posts) -
@Emperor_Jimmu: You do need to do it sometimes. The fact that you think what she likes is dreck and she thinks the things you like are immature speaks a lot. I doubt she will ever like games or even agree to try them.
#9 Posted by Willin (1277 posts) -

Well really you shouldn't MAKE her do anything. Show her some gameplay and see if she would be interested.

#10 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

Portal probably isn't the best game for someone who has never played games before. Dual analogue controls are generally difficult for people new to games and the puzzles are very challenging.

#11 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

You shouldn't make her play anything. She doesn't need to enjoy games so you can, just so long as she accepts that you like to play them and you don't ignore important things in the process of doing so. How should I best make my partner participate in my hobby topics are stupid. If you can share it fine, but if its not her bag deal with it bro.

#12 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" if your girlfriend has never really played games, she can't handle a game that requires you to move a character and the camera at the same time. The puzzles will probably be too difficult to. Introduce her to Plants vs. Zombies, it's cute, simple, and doesn't require a lot of control.  "
This is effectively what I was going to say. And "making" her play a game is going to make her hate it no matter WHAT it is, so don't go about it from that angle. Maybe just drop a link or an email to a code for the game, and say something like "Thought you might enjoy this." 

Also, the fact that she thinks that "shallow, immature and boring" means that it's for guys is beyond ridiculous. Do take some time to explain at some point that men are also interested in things that are not shallow and immature and that women are interested in probably an equal amount of shallow and immature things.
#13 Posted by Synaptic (305 posts) -

Braid is a great choice for getting girls interested in games. It very literally was the game that made my sister get into gaming to the point of considering a career in it (and this was last summer we played it through together.)

#14 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Sometimes with some women your ability to get them to game will be as effective as them getting you to put on makeup.

#15 Edited by Daveyo520 (6651 posts) -
@c1337us said:

" You shouldn't make her play anything. She doesn't need to enjoy games so you can, just so long as she accepts that you like to play them and you don't ignore important things in the process of doing so. How should I best make my partner participate in my hobby topics are stupid. If you can share it fine, but if its not her bag deal with it bro. "

Exactly they need to accept that it is important to you, not needing to do it themselves. However if they hate everything you like something is off.
#16 Posted by matti00 (668 posts) -
@Daveyo520 said:
" It sounds like you two love each other very much with how much you agree with each other. "
I was with a girl who loved games for 3 years and the relationship went up in flames. My current lovely lady partner only plays iPhone games and we love each other very dearly. She likes American Idol/The X Factor, I love Ice Hockey and Soccer/Football, you don't have to agree on every little subject. We just switch off when the other starts talking about things that bore them.

But yes, I agree, Portal might be a bit tough. One 360 game my lady really got into was Lego Harry Potter, something I enjoyed too. I think you need something that has an additional hook that will get her interested. In this case, she's a big Harry Potter fan.
#17 Posted by Emperor_Jimmu (249 posts) -
@Daveyo520: We are both complex and intelligent individuals with a multitude of interests. If I were to have a girlfriend like myself she would be a misanthropic 6'4" biologist with a penis.  

We often introduce one another to alien experiences, it allows us to understand one another more intimately. Even if when it doesn't reveal or create a common interest the experience of sharing something personally significant is useful for our relationship.
#18 Posted by Emperor_Jimmu (249 posts) -
@LunarAura said:
"

Sometimes with some women your ability to get them to game will be as effective as them getting you to put on makeup.

"
I'm quite partial to a bit of cross-dressing.
#19 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@Emperor_Jimmu said:
" @Daveyo520: If I were to have a girlfriend like myself she would be a misanthropic 6'4" biologist with a penis. "
Mmmmmm ...
#20 Posted by Finalwish (35 posts) -

Bought my girlfriend l4d1 and 2 and she has played a good  250 hrs combined (150 l4d 100 l4d2). Women love killing zombies. 

Also gave her Half Life and TF2 but she didnt take to those. (well she got half way through half life)

#21 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

Buy her Peggle, it'll save your relationship.

#22 Posted by BeachThunder (11634 posts) -

No, unless you're willing to listen to her "dreck".

#23 Edited by Terry_Bogard (302 posts) -
@Emperor_Jimmu: Portal =  shallow, immature and boring. I kid.. kind of.. It's definitely immature. 
#24 Posted by Sweep (8782 posts) -
@Emperor_Jimmu said:
" I would just like to introduce her to an experience she has never had before. "

Then give me her phone number. 
#25 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5133 posts) -

You should play Bullet Storm with her. 

seriously though maybe you can play Mass Effect 2 with her and let her make the decisions and you will do the shooting.        

#26 Posted by NTM (7233 posts) -

No, you shouldn't make her play a game if she doesn't care to, and two, not Portal. A lot of women like Left 4 Dead from my experiences. I have a better answer/question, why don't you ask her, instead of asking us? I'm sure that'd be much better either way you look at it. Her opinion matters more than any of ours as far as you should be concerned, unless you really actually hate her.

#27 Posted by Voxatron (352 posts) -
@Sweep said:
" @Emperor_Jimmu said:
" I would just like to introduce her to an experience she has never had before. "

"
Couldn't resist could you? lol

Back on topic, Portal is just so... Not right for what I think your trying to accomplish, absolutely anything else would probably be better. 
Getting her opinion on the subject wouldn't hurt either. :)
#28 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -
#29 Posted by Kurtdyoung (1297 posts) -

The first Portal was one of the few video games my girlfriend really enjoyed. So much so that she keeps asking me when Portal 2 is coming out.

#30 Posted by Fallen189 (4931 posts) -
@Sweep said:
" @Emperor_Jimmu said:

"

#31 Edited by zeezkos (64 posts) -

As other have mentioned, when you want to bring someone into the world of video games you don't necessarily have to start off with what has a good story, clever dialogue and (sometimes..not always) intelligent puzzles to solve.   The main thing for a new person is CONTROLS.  It doesn't matter how good the actual game is if they're going to get frustrated in the navigation... this applies to many things, including websites and etc.  Pick something that is fun and easy to control.  Navigating 3d space is not that simple for a new person.. think back to the first time you played Wolfenstein or Doom and you'll remember you got turned around a bit.  

platformers are probably decent.  full screen puzzle games... etc.

EDIT: horrible typo..

#32 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Ooooo mister girlfriend...

#33 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2906 posts) -

Dual analog control is a bitch for people who aren't used to it, but the PC version would be playable by just about anyone I would think...

#34 Posted by BigLemon (1022 posts) -

My girlfriend plays Mall World on facebook, and that's about as far as she goes. Although she did enjoy watching me play Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2.

#35 Posted by ProfessorEss (7253 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
Introduce her to Plants vs. Zombies, it's cute, simple, and doesn't require a lot of control.  "
That's a good call. My wife LOVED Plants vs. Zombies and played it to death.

We've also had a lot of fun playing the Lego games.
#36 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

I wouldn't make her play anything, let her decide but do show her some of the other games out there (Portal is a good one to introduce people to first person games), maybe try showing her stuff like Harvest Moon, Kingdom Hearts, Wii Sports Resort, etc. just something a little more friendly to someone new to the wide world of video games.

#37 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -

As a seasoned veteran of the "My significant other doesn't game" war I can tell you this:
A lot like swiming for the first time you have to ease her into it. Introduce her to games she would like even if they weren't videogames. Singstar, Buzz and Monopoly are my wife's favorites but I've caught her playing flower as well. Having said that be ready to admit defeat, sometimes the best outcome is some cuddle time while she watches you game and discusses Final Fantasy's outrageous costumes.

#38 Posted by JasonR86 (9578 posts) -
@Emperor_Jimmu: 

You shouldn't 'make' you're girlfriend do anything.  If she's going to change her mind, it will have to be on her own while using you and other gamers as a reference.
#39 Posted by apeman (189 posts) -
@Chirag4 said:
" @Daveyo520 said:
I can tell you're an expert on relationships. "
I almost spit coffee on myself.  hilarious.
#40 Posted by apeman (189 posts) -
@Mr_Skeleton said:
"

You should play Bullet Storm with her. 

seriously though maybe you can play Mass Effect 2 with her and let her make the decisions and you will do the shooting.        

"
HOLY CRAP!  Watching me play ME2 and making my decisions for me is the ONLY time my fiance will even hang out around my gaming!  

Well, that and Castle Crashers...
#41 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -
@Emperor_Jimmu: 

My wife plays Peggle and You Don't Know Jack.  I can't even fathom trying to get her into a first person game of any sort.  Then again, we're older folks, so we're less apt to like new things.

So it probably depends on how old she is and how solid your relationship is going into this.
#42 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -

Portal is the first game I bought my girlfriend.

I had to help her a lot at first, but she completed the game much earlier than I thought possible for someone who's never played an FPS before.

But then, it's not like she's got anything against games... just never got around to playing any of the newer stuff.

#43 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" @Emperor_Jimmu said:
" My girlfriend is of the opinion that games are for guys; shallow, immature and boring.   
Well...she's right "
But there's one game out of thousands that says otherwise, ergo she's wrong. I bet he'll use BioShock next as an example of how games are actually art.
#44 Posted by Galiant (2175 posts) -

Heavy Rain could work. Portal...probably not.

#45 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -
@Galiant said:
" Heavy Rain could work. Portal...probably not. "
You know what will work?
  • Wii Fit
  • Dance Central
  • Singstar
  • Let's Dance
  • Buzz Trivia
  • Hasbro Game Night
  • Carnival Games
  • Monopoly
  • Tetris

Anyone who tries to deny this has never dated an anti-gamer
#46 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

You're clearly wasting your time by trying to introduce her to games. She doesn't like the, so stop trying to convert her. 

Let her stick with the things she enjoys doing without you criticizing her.

#47 Posted by Sparklykiss (1933 posts) -

Make her? No. 

Encourage her? Yes. 

There were a lot of good suggestions to get a girl in to games. Don't make her play Portal if your main reason is to replay it herself. Have her watch bits here and there if need be if you're trying to persuade a co-op partner. (Portal doesn't take that long to complete in one go. So it's not like you'll have her watching you play something for days and have it be dull. Like Oblivion. Any guy who talks their girl into watching them play Oblivion is INSANE.) 

Excellent gateway games: 

• Sims
  • Left 4 Dead (Like that one guy said, ladies LOVE to slaughter zombies. And a surprising amount love to be Francis and/or Ellis.)
  • ilomilo
  • Raskulls
  • Any Trivia game (Scene It?, You Don't Know Jack, Buzz...)
  • Plants VS Zombies (Any Popcap game, really.)
  • Rock Band
  • Pac-Man Championship: DX (Pac-Man is a classic and she's bound to have played it at some point. The changes in this are bound to grab her attention to the point she'll play more than you. My mother plays the hell out of this and Centipede still. Worth a look.)
  • Space Channel 5 or Part 2
  • Heavy Rain

Space Channel 5 is definitely worth looking at. A ton of my friends don't really care for games, but they really love the novelty of being a space reporter who fights off aliens with dance. 

Oh shit, I forgot Katamari as well. FORGET ALL THE ABOVE. BUY HER KATAMARI.
#48 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

portal is a great game to try for her. it might be hard if she never played a video game before. a girl told me that she enjoyed portal. i wouldn't have thought that she played video games.

#49 Posted by Spoonman671 (4523 posts) -

First, don't be the guy that makes your girlfriend play games.  Second, don't introduce somebody to gaming with a first-person perspective game.  It will just disorient the hell out of them.

#50 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3962 posts) -
@Emperor_Jimmu said:
" My girlfriend is of the opinion that games are for guys; shallow, immature and boring. There is nothing wrong with that, I'm sure I unfairly dismiss a lot of her music as populist dreck. I would just like to introduce her to an experience she has never had before. Has anybody else done this with their partner, and if so is Portal the best PC game do use? From what I remember there aren't any difficult twitch controls until the half-way mark. Also I would like to run through one of my favorite games again before the sequel comes out.  "

So she basically called you, a gamer, shallow, immature, & boring.
I'd kill for a gf that was a gamer, preferrably 18 years old as well,
but that's how God made most women: to hate games.

If my gf said that to me, I'd say, "That's great. Can you make me
a sandwich?"