#1 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

So I started playing X-Com: Enemy Unknown and was loving it, but after a few missions, it really took a turn for the worse for me as I lost everything and got a game over. I play a lot of RPG's but even though I have enjoyed some strategy games in the past, I haven't ever finished one (that I remember) and I want to keep playing this one. Should I feel terrible about putting it on easy or should I continue with normal?

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3487 posts) -

You just need to be careful until some of your troops get leveled up, once you get a full level squad the game gets pretty easy if you aren't rushing, I think easy would be really boring.

#3 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

No shame in it. It gets extremely difficult rather quickly and, if you're inexperienced with the genre, you'll get overwhelmed pretty quickly in the Overworld aspect.

#4 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (991 posts) -

Easy is no cakewalk either, especially if you're not save scumming, which it sounds like you're not. Switch to easy, there's no shame in it.

#5 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I do and I still have a bunch of fun. Then again I play most games on easy mostly because I don't have the time or patience to get good enough at games to beat them on higher difficulties. Wasn't always like that but nowadays I just play games to get through the games story as easily and as satisfyingly as possible. Dying over and over normally just frustrates me which is simply the opposite of what I want from games now.

#6 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (2955 posts) -

No.

#7 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5138 posts) -

I'm currently playing through Xcom EU again, but on easy this time. I'm having a much better time than on normal and the challenge is definitely still there. If your having too hard a time, then there's no shame in lowering the game to easy. You'll still have an enjoyable experience.

I'd also like to point out that there's no shame in obsessively saving. It's nice to have something to fall back on just in case.

#8 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

@themanwithnoplan: I think my problem might come from the fact that I tend to rush through games. This doesn't feel like a game that I can rush through.

#9 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

I played XCom the way the majority claims as wrong but I still had a ton of fun. After a few missions of not caring when people died, I started winning missions without losing anyone, and so I made everyone based off of my friends and then reloaded saves if one of them died. The game was still a huge blast for me to play, and once the expansion comes out I'm going to give it a more hardcore go and not reload saves when someone dies. Can't wait to experience it in a different way, especially because now I know how the systems work, how the dice rolls work, etc etc. The hardest thing for me to finally figure out and understand was when you have ships to shoot down UFO's. I didn't get a strategy to deal with those efficiently until the last hour of the game

#10 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5138 posts) -

@themanwithnoplan: I think my problem might come from the fact that I tend to rush through games. This doesn't feel like a game that I can rush through.

Definitely not. You can very easily screw up if you don't methodically plan things out, more so on the higher difficulty levels. Just turn it down to easy, take your time and have fun.

#11 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1170 posts) -

I played it on easy the first time. If you haven't played the other ones it can be very confusing. Easy is still pretty difficult. If you feel it's too easy you can always change the difficulty.

#12 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

An Easy-mode today is the equivalent of putting in cheats and enabling God-mode 10 years ago. If you can't handle some resistance, you shouldn't play the game. Not trying to be elitist here, but people need to experience some difficulty. Start with Normal mode, it's 2003's 'Easy-Mode'.

#13 Edited by Metric_Outlaw (1170 posts) -

I played it on easy the first time. If you haven't played the other ones it can be very confusing. Easy is still pretty difficult. If you feel it's too easy you can always change the difficulty.

#14 Edited by spraynardtatum (2528 posts) -

play it on easy. enjoy that game!

#15 Posted by believer258 (11564 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

...Yeah, OK, if that's how you're gonna have fun. But I really hate to see good men go down a peg.

#16 Edited by adam1808 (1357 posts) -

No. Anyway normal isn't that rough as long as you play conservatively. The final 5 hours of that game are a cakewalk and the only reason that's satisfying is because of how tough it can be in the early game.

#17 Edited by MightyDuck (1490 posts) -

Easy is no cakewalk either, especially if you're not save scumming, which it sounds like you're not. Switch to easy, there's no shame in it.

I second this. I set it to easy right away after hearing about how difficult it can be to manage resources and so on. Even on Easy, once I got about 2/3 into the game, one of the boss missions absolutely destroyed me. I need to get back to that game and give it another go.

#18 Edited by Hunter5024 (5511 posts) -

I would suggest save scumming over easy mode.

#19 Posted by Clonedzero (4049 posts) -

Eh, easy might be lame, i'd stick through normal, it'll be a more rewarding experience. Just take a few more "attempts", accept that they'll probably fail and you'll get the hang of it.

Prioritize building satellites above all else. Once you figure that out, you'll have a MUCH easier time.

#20 Posted by Grimhild (721 posts) -

I suggest Easy on Ironman mode as a happy medium.

#21 Edited by Clonedzero (4049 posts) -

Eh, easy might be lame, i'd stick through normal, it'll be a more rewarding experience. Just take a few more "attempts", accept that they'll probably fail and you'll get the hang of it.

Prioritize building satellites above all else. Once you figure that out, you'll have a MUCH easier time.

#22 Edited by Random45 (996 posts) -

I would suggest save scumming over easy mode.

This is what I did, and I don't regret it one bit, especially when the game lets the enemies move twice in one turn if you discover them as you finish moving your last guy.

#23 Posted by Aegon (5377 posts) -

What about someone who's played through Valkyria Chronicles? Would it still be a better experience on easy?

#24 Posted by Grimhild (721 posts) -

@aegon:

I would say anyone reasonably versed in turn-based strategy should start on Normal at least.

Though I'll say that one of the draws to XCOM for me is the ever present possibility of failure. Makes it much more exciting than most games now that have no fail state and consistently nanny the player all the way to the finish, to where I really get no sense of accomplishment.

Yes, your soldiers permanently die and yes, you can play for hours upon hours and still lose. But that just makes the victories that much more meaningful.

#25 Posted by eskimo (473 posts) -

No, unless you're REALLY not enjoying yourself.

I enjoyed XCom because it was satisfying overcoming difficult challenges.

#26 Posted by eskimo (473 posts) -

No, unless you're REALLY not enjoying yourself.

I enjoyed XCom because it was satisfying overcoming difficult challenges.

#29 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -

There is a turning point on Normal where it stops being challenging and starts becoming a joke. I'd imagine that point comes that much earlier on Easy.

#30 Posted by BisonHero (6053 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: This is correct. Assuming you make it, the last 40% of the game on Normal is a joke, because the enemies can't really punch through your armour, and conversely your late game weapons just obliterate them.

To MrPilkington, here's what I suggest. Play on Normal. Don't SAVE SCUM save scum, BUT make a save (in-base) before each mission. Only resort to save scumming if you lose your entire squad (though depending on how many backup soldiers you have, you could probably get by and recover from that on Normal). Easy mode will probably seem like a joke since you've played strategy games before and now have a few hours of XCOM EU.

#31 Posted by Rorie (2534 posts) -

@mrpilkington: This is one of those games where you'll probably want to play for five or six hours before restarting. It's definitely doable on Normal. (If anything, I wish they'd make separate difficulties for in-mission and base stuff; I like hard missions, but I found a lot of the base stuff to be annoying to manage.) Just have to learn all the systems first and know what's going on.

Staff
#32 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

So I started playing X-Com: Enemy Unknown and was loving it, but after a few missions, it really took a turn for the worse for me as I lost everything and got a game over. I play a lot of RPG's but even though I have enjoyed some strategy games in the past, I haven't ever finished one (that I remember) and I want to keep playing this one. Should I feel terrible about putting it on easy or should I continue with normal?

I banged my head against the wall in the original XCOM all those years back. For months and months. One failed campaign after another. Until I finally got it and beat it. It's one of my most cherished gaming experiences now. So I'd say, set it on Classic and do the same.

Then again, the times have changed. The times have changed so very much.

#33 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

You'd probably do a lot better on normal second time around.