Should I replace my broken 360 with a PS3 or a new 360.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By JB16

A few months ago my 360 rrod'd on me and now I'm currently doing the x-clamp fix but I heard that even with that fix my 360 still might fail on me a few months later. So instead of bothering with the fix do you guys think its a good idea if I just go out and buy a PS3 as a fail-safe? I mean then it would be a win win situation, if my 360 works then I'd have two consoles and if it failed then I would still have a PS3 which is a lot less likely to fail (plus I really want to play some of those PS3 exclusives). Also I already have a powerful gaming PC and most 360 exclusives come on PC anyway so I wouldn't be missing out on any 360 exclusives like Mass Effect 2 or Dead Rising 2.

But if I buy a PS3 I wouldn't be able to shake the feeling that I just wasted $250-300+ on a console when I already have a console that might work.

Edit: Please stop suggesting sending my 360 to microsoft, because if I did still have the warranty then I wouldn't be trying to do the x-clamp fix, the fact that I'm doing the x-clamp fix should make it obvious that my warranty is DEAD.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

Buy the PS3 now, and when the 360 breaks later on get a new 360 then for the games coming in the future (Halo, Gears, Fable, whatever else is coming)

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Skytylz

How many 360 games do you have now?  If you don't have that many you'd miss, go ahead and get a PS3.

DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By DerekDanahy
@Skytylz said:
" How many 360 games do you have now?  If you don't have that many you'd miss, go ahead and get a PS3. "
Good answer right thur.
btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By btman

get the PS3.  your new 360 will probably just break.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By zero_
@JB16: With most 360 games coming onto the PC, I think getting a PS3 would be a great move and you'd end up with a much larger library of games.
Charlieblix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Charlieblix

A PS3.  I worked at Gamestop full time and we saw a crap ton of 360's come back and only 1 or 2 PS3's in the year and a half I worked there.  I have both systems myself and haven't turned on my 360 in ages.  There are only a couple of games on the 360 that I really want to play and I don't think thats enough to warrant another 200 bucks if my system breaks.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zombie2011

The new 360's are more reliable, also if you already have some 360 games just buy a new one. That way you won't have to invest the money in buy a bunch of new games.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy
@zombie2011 said:
" The new 360's are more reliable, also if you already have some 360 games just buy a new one. That way you won't have to invest the money in buy a bunch of new games. "
This is also true. I don't know anyone who has a broken 360 from 2009 and up.
JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JB16
@xyzygy said:
" @zombie2011 said:
" The new 360's are more reliable, also if you already have some 360 games just buy a new one. That way you won't have to invest the money in buy a bunch of new games. "
This is also true. I don't know anyone who has a broken 360 from 2009 and up. "
Most 360s that do break break 2-4 years after they get it. So those 2009 people might break by 2011. I'm sorry but since I have a good PC I'm probably never going to buy a new 360 again, if this X-clamp thing doesn't work on the 360 I already have then I'm done with 360s period, I'm just not going to buy a third 360.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zombie2011
@JB16 said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @zombie2011 said:
Most 360s that do break break 2-4 years after they get it. So those 2009 people might break by 2011. I'm sorry but since I have a good PC I'm probably never going to buy a new 360 again, if this X-clamp thing doesn't work on the 360 I already have then I'm done with 360s period, I'm just not going to buy a third 360. "

Not really, just because the old 360's broke in 2-4 doesn't mean the new ones will break at all, not sure where you got that logic. 

That would be like me saying all Toyota's from now on will have faulty accelerators.     
JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JB16
@zombie2011 said:
" @JB16 said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @zombie2011 said:
Most 360s that do break break 2-4 years after they get it. So those 2009 people might break by 2011. I'm sorry but since I have a good PC I'm probably never going to buy a new 360 again, if this X-clamp thing doesn't work on the 360 I already have then I'm done with 360s period, I'm just not going to buy a third 360. "

Not really, just because the old 360's broke in 2-4 doesn't mean the new ones will break at all, not sure where you got that logic. 

That would be like me saying all 's from now on will have faulty accelerators.      "
I never said all 360s will break in 2-4 I'm saying if those made in 2009 DO break then it will probably break in 2-4, my point is that its way too early to say that 2009 360s don't break.
Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Chyro

A PS3 with a PC is a really nice combo.  Unless you are a total Halo freak get a PS3.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bhhawks78

A 360, you could have either gotten your 360 fixed for free if within three years or had someone better with it fix it for 20-30.  Also remember the ps3 warranty is one year and after that fucking 150$ from what my friend who got it repaired twice told me.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bhhawks78 said:
" A 360, you could have either gotten your 360 fixed for free if within three years or had someone better with it fix it for 20-30.  Also remember the ps3 warranty is one year and after that fucking 150$ from what my friend who got it repaired twice told me. "
It was higher at one point but they dropped it.  

I had to pay that fee when my PS3 bricked shortly after a firmware update last year.
Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mono_Listo
@Skytylz said:
" How many 360 games do you have now?  If you don't have that many you'd miss, go ahead and get a PS3. "
JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JB16
@Chyro said:
" A PS3 with a PC is a really nice combo.  Unless you are a total Halo freak get a PS3. "
That's the way I see it. I'm leaning towards buying a ps3 on my next paycheck
@bhhawks78 said:

" A 360, you could have either gotten your 360 fixed for free if within three years or had someone better with it fix it for 20-30.  Also remember the ps3 warranty is one year and after that fucking 150$ from what my friend who got it repaired twice told me. "

My 360 warranty crapped out at least 7 months ago.
Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By Spiral_Stars

The only reason to own a PS3 is Uncharted 2. However, that actually might be enough. Uncharted 2 is goddamn unreal.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ravensword

If you have a ton of Games for 360, I might just get another one of those. Because with PS3, your starting your librarey from scratch.
calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By calidan777

Why don't you send your 360 to Microsoft and get them to fix it FOR FREE like they do, AND buy you a PS3?

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Yeah, just get a PS3. Some good exclusives you're missing out on.

Ironbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ironbunny

I would get a PS3. Let me tell you a story: My Xbox broke. i sent it in, got it back a month later, plugged it in, and it  immediately broke again as soon as i turned on the power. So, i muttered "this is fucking bullshit" to myself and got a PS3. and i wouldn't worry about the games issue, seeing as the ps3 has some pretty kickass exclusives (better than those on the xbox, i daresay?)    

TheRoadHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By TheRoadHead

I'm guessing your 360 is 3 years old so you can't ship it back to Microsoft for repair if that's the case i'd get a replacement Arcade model (i believe dell.com has some goods deal but a visit to cheapassgamer.com would find you the best deal). I replaced my 360 back in feb 09 and haven't had any problems. my first 360 red ringed 3 times. 

Other than about 20 ps3 exclusive titles (at the most) I can't see why you wouldn't go with 360 if you have to make a choice.  

I have both and gaming wise my 360 gets used 95% of the time and the other 5% goes toward the Wii/PS3. that being said i've watched well over 100 blurays on the ps3.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DystopiaX
@JB16 said:
" @xyzygy said:
" @zombie2011 said:
You can get it fixed for free by MS if your box is less than 3 years old.
Vandal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vandal

I've had a 360 for 3 years now and a ps3 since christmas and I find the 360 cluttered, sluggish and childish in comparison now, plus I have to smack it around before it will read disks. But I still use it a lot because I know more people with a 360 than a ps3, so maybe consider what your mates have. Also (as far as I have gathered) Microsoft HAVE to repair ALL rrods for free because they knowingly released a faulty piece of hardware so it shouldn't matter about your warranty being out of date  (but I might be wrong). And one final thing, the PS3 has heavy rain, and that in my opinion would seal the deal.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EVO

If you don't own a PS3 by now you are missing out big time.

Avatar image for krystal_sackful
Krystal_Sackful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Krystal_Sackful

If you have a good PC, the best choice is the PS3. There are only a handful of true Xbox exclusives you can't get on the computer and a wagon load of playstation exclusives you can't get on the computer. And hey, it's a bluray player and the online is free, so yeah, I suggest it.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ravensword

I personally havent experince any of the horror stories people are talking about with 360 (kock on wood) so, really, I dont harness any of the real hate peopel have for it. My consoel broke ONCE, i sent it in, got it back in less then 2 weeks, that was it. Pretty painless. maybe thats why i question people putting "itll break on you" when posting reasons not to get a 360 and to get a PS3 over it.
JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JB16
@calidan777 said:
" Why don't you send your 360 to Microsoft and get them to fix it FOR FREE like they do, AND buy you a PS3? "
Because my 360 warranty is GONE because it's been LONGER than THREE YEARS!!?!?
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ravensword

Oh, yeah, I woudl honestly wait till after E3 in case a Slim is announced. Because you would want to get that.
RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RobotHamster

PS3, the only thing worth it coming out on the 360 is gears 3, and for that you could just play at a friends house.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By rjayb89

Get a PS3 and fix your 360.  Happy endings for all.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Akeldama
@Spiral_Stars said:
" The only reason to own a PS3 is Uncharted 2."
Completely untrue. While Uncharted 2 WAS unbelievably good, it is not the ONLY reason to own a PS3.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ravensword
@Krystal_Sackful:

Its not better online though.
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@Skytylz said:
Dis
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LiquidPrince

PS3.

Nunchuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nunchuckles
@JB16: I say go to amazon.com and look at the trade in deals you can get for all your 360 games, and the (while its working) 360 and see how much you can get for it.  I traded in 10 games one time and got over 210 dollars.  That way you can get some seed money for the ps3 and you have your pc for all the best 360 stuff, like mass effect 2, just like you said.  And Mass Effect 3 will definitely be on PC as well. 
JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JB16
@Nunchuckles said:
" @JB16: I say go to amazon.com and look at the trade in deals you can get for all your 360 games, and the (while its working) 360 and see how much you can get for it.  I traded in 10 games one time and got over 210 dollars.  That way you can get some seed money for the ps3 and you have your pc for all the best 360 stuff, like mass effect 2, just like you said.  And Mass Effect 3 will definitely be on PC as well.  "
I was thinking about doing just that, I wonder though how easilly did your games sell on amazon? And does it cost a lot to sell on amazon?
Zao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zao

Wow suprised at all the fanboy comments. Send it to microsoft its usually a free fix anyway. Dont void the warrnty by doing it yourself.

Nunchuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Nunchuckles

No, you dont have to sell on amazon, amazon has its own trade-in value thing similar to gamestop, but way better cuz you get ALOT more money for your games.  First start off at amazon.com, then highlight your mouse over the shop all departments icon in the upper left, then find and select the video games department.  The next page, on the left side, theirs a link labeled "trade-in" click that, and then look at the search bar and it should say "video games trade-in", from there, just type in each game that you have, and the 360, and add them all up in the trade in cart, and see how much that comes to be.  The shipping is also free, they pay for a shipping label, you just have to print it out, and take it to UPS.  They only allow UPS for videogame stuff.  The only thing you have to pay for, or get if you already have one, is a box.  And in the end, you get a amazon.com gift card added to your amazon account.  And if you don't plan on doing it this way, its also a fun little thing to see how much all your games are worth when your bored with them.  Also, don't forget to add controllers and all video game related stuff, they practically accept anything.  I think even madcatz and logitech stuff too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I have both and my suggestion is to get both.