Should I sell off part of my game collection to fund a PS4 or XB1?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Poll Should I sell off part of my game collection to fund a PS4 or XB1? (49 votes)

Yes - cut the crap, keep what you want and get an PS4 or XB1 10%
Yes - cut the crap, keep what you want but wait until Q4 PS4 / XB1 12%
No - horde those games and just be patience 78%

So I've been thinking about the PS4 / XB1 and my attitude towards videogames and my collection. I used to consider myself somewhat of a collector, always purchasing physical copies, picking up everything that looked interesting and so amassed a decent number of games including some harder to find and rarer titles.

Recently though my attitude towards it all has shifted. Digital distribution is clearly the way forward (my terrible internet speeds aside) and games will constantly be resold to us on the next generation of hardware (in either digital or physical formats).

I'm also about to start university and could ramble on further but just know I need to move some distance to get there and so most of my collection will be left behind. My current gen systems so far are a 3DS XL, Wii U and Vita. I'll probably have the money for one of the consoles come Christmas.

• 
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Be patience, my friend.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

Don't do it. You will regret selling off all those games.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

First off, digital games are still inferior by leaps and bounds over physical copies. Physical copies are cheaper (yes, even compared to Steam prices), you can often get them earlier than launch day, they are safe from corporation practices (you have access to them forever) and they don't take up any digital space. Which to me is far more valuable than physical space. I have room to spare, but my HDD is always nearing full capacity. On Steam, I cannot have all my games installed at the same time. Not even close. It is annoying and demoralizing when you wake up one day suddenly craving to play a certain game, but you discover you deleted it to make space some time ago; go to download it again and have one of those times where it takes 4 hours for the download to finish. The arguments against physical are it takes up physical space (which I don't care about), you have to put the disc in (which I don't care about in the slightest) and you have to go outside to buy said game (which I don't even understand how it's a bad thing).

More on topic: you will regret selling that stuff off. I regularly revisit older games that I have love for to play them again. Even SNES ones. Selling it off now will just mean you're going to rebuy it later and have to go through the hassle of tracking that stuff down and you'll end up paying more for it than you sold it for.

Don't do it. Just get more money.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Nope. Neither system is worth owning right now. Christmas is sooner than you think, and by then those consoles might be worth a purchase.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You probably shouldn't rely on digital downloads if your internet speed is horrible. And consider the hard drive space those games will take up; a current gen game probably takes at minimum 20 gigs.

Like others have said you will regret selling your old games. Just hold off a bit and wait.

Victorboris1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Victorboris1

Sell one of your kidneys, a person can get by just fine with one kidney. One of my uncles was born with just one kidney, and he only found out about it a few years ago, well into his thirties.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You will regret it I guarantee you.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Everybody I know who has ever done something like this, has deeply regretted doing so.

Be Patience good duder.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cornbredx

I would never sell any part of my game collection. When I did I always regretted it later.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spoonman671

Go through your pile of games, think about when the last time each game was played was, and think about how much you want to play each game again. You'll quickly realize how much garbage you have on your shelf.

A few of those games may rise in value, but most of them will sharply decline. You're better off getting rid of most of those games sooner than later. Do your homework regarding which ones you sell. You don't have to buy a new console at the same time you sell off your old games.

Don't burden yourself by dragging all this useless crap with you for the rest of your life. Think about an uncluttered shelf! Fuck, think about getting rid of your shelf and just having some space to actually live in.

Every year or two I purge my collection of the games that I know I won't ever play again. The result is a couple of shelves full of games I absolutely love. What percentage of your collection can you say you love?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a ps2 collection once and I regret selling all my games, its not worth it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I did something similar with my original ps2 and deeply regret it. Keep your stuff duder. Patience is a virtue for a reason.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have always regretted doing this. Patience. Be it.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Nope. Neither system is worth owning right now. Christmas is sooner than you think, and by then those consoles might be worth a purchase.

Pretty much this.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#15 fisk0  Moderator

Selling the games you have for consoles that there aren't any games out on yet seems like a bad proposition.