Should I upgrade from the original phat DS to the 3DS?

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I still have the very first DS and was wondering if I should uprgrade to a 3DS. How well do DS games play on it?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Nubster

A bit stretched-out. Just keep your old DS around, that's what I did. Not much profit to be made in getting rid of your old DS anyways, and you have to get a 3DS if you want to play the 3DS games.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BrockNRolla

DS games play fine, though they don't take up the full wide-screen real estate. Some people might argue DS games look blown out as the resolution is higher on the 3DS and they are merely expanding it to fit the height of the screen, but I've always thought games looked pretty good.

But it has to come down to 3DS games. Is there stuff you'd like to play on the 3DS? If no, then I wouldn't bother.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mtcantor

I play DS games on my 3DS all the time. looks fine.

Got the new 3DSXL, and my DS games look good there too.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By 234r2we232

I recently went through a similar crisis. To justify buying a 3DS you need have at least a handful of 3DS games you want to play. It then becomes an easy decision whether you need to "upgrade".

With that said, if you have the original DS and have DS games to play, upgrade to a DS Lite :D

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Ace829

That's exactly what I did when I bought my launch 3DS, and I do not regret it. Very good portable so far.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

@The_Nubster said:

A bit stretched-out. Just keep your old DS around, that's what I did. Not much profit to be made in getting rid of your old DS anyways, and you have to get a 3DS if you want to play the 3DS games.

Hold down start and select while a DS game is loading up, that should set it to its native resolution.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@BeachThunder said:

@The_Nubster said:

Hold down start and select while a DS game is loading up, that should set it to its native resolution.

True but then you have to deal with the absurdly small view.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Dixavd

I have a 3DS and the original DS and I use both. Having an original DS is quite useful when you like playing Gameboy Advance games (especially so if you play Pokemon and want to be able to move prokemon from the GB:A Gen III titles to the DS and the 3DS games).

I don't really see you gaining much from getting rid of the DS. Remember, the 3DS can still interact with other DS's as if itself was a DS so you would be able to play with and send data to two different DS cartridges (or just download play from one to the other) without having to get another DS.

I think owning an original DS and a 3DS is actually the best option you can have right now.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By 49th

yeah dude, the jump from original DS to DS lite blew my mind, the screen was so much better. The 3DS is great and has an even cooler screen. Games will come eventually, and what is available to play now is fun.

DS games run fine on the 3DSu

even if you don't like playing DS games on the 3DS you can keep using your old DS right? It's a win win situationaru

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cbarnes86

I would've kept my fat DS if it wasn't for the trade in Gamestop was doing around the time the Ambassador's Program thing was going on. I need to buy a GBA of some sort to play my old GBA games now... but if you have the money, I would keep the DS and buy a 3DS. Some pretty good games for the 3DS and more to come!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Hizang

The original DS was not a great handheld, I'd say trade up to a DS Lite which is much cheaper than a DS and is the best Nintendo Handheld so far (In the DS Range)

j3ffro919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By j3ffro919

I just upgraded my DS Lite to a 3DS XL and I'm really impressed by the new system. I haven't had any issues playing DS games on 3DS XL, they didn't look quite as crisp but still looked fine.

That being said, my DS Lite is going to my nephew for his birthday in a few months so it was easy to convince myself (and my wife) that I needed to upgrade. :D

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#14  Edited By vigorousjammer

Some DS games look better than others on the 3DS. However, I played Pokemon Black, which runs in a lower resolution than most other DS games, and it looked like JUNK.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By toowalrus

Original DS games look pretty crappy. Honestly, if you're only going to be playing regular DS games, I'd stick to the phat. 

On the other hand, if there's some 3DS games you're interested in, go for it (only if you have the petty cash to do so, of course). If I was in your situation, I'd wait it out and see if that Luigi's Mansion shiny green 3DS that's supposed to come out in japan makes it stateside.

0xDEADBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 0xDEADBEEF

@Vigorousjammer said:

Some DS games look better than others on the 3DS. However, I played Pokemon Black, which runs in a lower resolution than most other DS games, and it looked like JUNK.

There are DS games that don't run at the screens' native resolution, and a Nintendo flagship title is one of them?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Justin258

I also still have the fat DS, an old blue one, and if I were to upgrade to something it would be a regular 3DS, undoubtedly. Maybe the XL.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By FreakAche

Duh doi!

Also DS games are fine on the 3DS.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#19  Edited By LordAndrew

3D DS games look fine on 3DS, sprite-based games not so much. You can use the "start or select" trick to run them at native resolution if you don't mind the smaller display area.

@Hizang said:

The original DS was not a great handheld, I'd say trade up to a DS Lite which is much cheaper than a DS and is the best Nintendo Handheld so far (In the DS Range)

That just seems like a waste of money. If the original DS has served his needs well this long, I don't see any need to "upgrade" to a model that adds absolutely no functionality. Any of DSi, DSi XL, 3DS or 3DS XL would add something new. DS Lite wouldn't.

@0xDEADBEEF: I must say, that is a fantastic username.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Hunter5024

Unless it's because you want to play 3ds games then I would say no. All you're really getting out of it is a better screen, but DS games don't look quite as good on the 3ds. Not sure how the battery life compares between the two.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#21  Edited By vigorousjammer

@0xDEADBEEF said:

@Vigorousjammer said:

There are DS games that don't run at the screens' native resolution, and a Nintendo flagship title is one of them?

I think it was because they started to do all of that polygonal background stuff in Black & White... and it looked absolutely fine on a DSi, and I'm guessing earlier iterations of the DS. It's only when you bring it to the 3DS where they stretch the resolution so much that it makes it look pretty much like blurry puke on a screen.