#1 Posted by RonnieColeManMrO (31 posts) -

I am just about to begin dark souls and I am wondering if I should use a a guide or just go into it blind. I could get through it faster using a guide and less frustration but I feel it kind of takes the fun out of the game. Is there a good guide out there on the internet to use.

#2 Edited by CornBREDX (5279 posts) -

I recommend doing it blind, then use a guide only for stuff you get stuck on (which you will get stuck on stuff). 

Edit: Oh and Dark Souls wiki is best place for all your dark souls needs

#3 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Using a guide can ruin the experience. I say go blind and if you absolutely need help either look up a guide or start summoning people.

#4 Posted by Giantstalker (1648 posts) -

Have a guide ready, but don't use it until you need to. There's a lot of totally unexplained, esoteric stuff in the game that could be frustrating.

#5 Edited by MentalDisruption (1635 posts) -

Use a guide only to clarify some of the less explained things like what kindling does, what the benefits of the different stats are, etc. Do not use a guide to get yourself through the areas and bosses. Cluelessly running into danger is a part of the game. Don't take that away from it.

#6 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Yeah, at this point it's best to go in blind then do research after you feel totally stuck. Back when the game first came out and all the information on the internet was super wishy washy and questionable at best, that was probably the best time to constantly check the net since everybody was discovering things at the same time. Dark Souls is a game of discovery in a lot of ways, and using internet information at this point after its release might ruin that facet. But again, if you feel totally stuck, some light searching might give you just enough info without tunneling you down the guide hole.

If there was only some way to simulate this phenomenon without just getting a group of friends and making a pact not to use the internet and only share research with eachother.

#7 Posted by NyxFe (248 posts) -

Like others have said, I would use a guide for very specific stuff such as weapon drops/upgrading tables and item drop locations, but as far as an actual walk through I would avoid it if possible. There isn't really any part of the game where it's unclear how to proceed, usually it's just like "I can't kill this boss because I'm not good enough at dodging it's attacks yet".

#8 Posted by Dark (379 posts) -

The only adivise you need to know is.

• Don't raise stats over 40 unless you have a specific reason too (they gain very little to no stat benefits after 40) some weapons and spells require higher stats however..
  • Don't get the master key at character creation, it costs very little to buy from a vendor near the start area.
  • The game is hard, however if you find things getting STUPID hard, you may be in the wrong area or you need to upgrade your gear/level up some more.
  • Kindling makes a bonfire brighter, gives you 5 more estus every time you sit down per kindle up to a max of 20 estus. You must be human and it costs 1 humanity to kindle, you need an item to kindle passed 10 estus bonfires.

Other than that, the game is fun to figure out for yourself.

#9 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I went in blind and had a ton of fun with it. 
Heck I'm still not entirely sure how to level up my characters (as in which attributes to take) so I just fuck around with it. 
I'm not even sure if there's a "Super X-tra-Extreme-xtreme-majorleague(not even close)-fantastic-magical-great-awesome-yobro420dawg" build you can do yet to just breeze through the game. 
I'm not even sure if there will be, never checked up on that stuff. 

#10 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

Only when you need to, i used the wiki to sometimes look up helpful boss tips and find out stuff you wouldn't find out about yourself like curing the curse and the estus flask boost stuff.

You may end up playing through it once then restarting with your new found knowledge and experience which was a totally fine and fun way to play for me.

#11 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Not using a guide just opens you up to a lot of needless frustration. The game is too obscure on certain shit. There's stuff you can do that can completely fuck up your game if you're not careful.

#12 Edited by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Absolutely.

Saying "I'm going to not use a guide" is like saying "I'm not going to summon or go human at all". It defeats the point. FROM isn't ignorant, they know the internet and they know what it implies. They designed their game around it.

Use every advantage you have. It's not an exploit, it's Dark Souls.

#13 Posted by Fustigate (18 posts) -

I stated blind but ended up using a guild for a few tricky parts. Remember there is no cheating in dark soul. Guides and exploits are fair game. Dark souls doesn't pull any punches, neither should you.

#14 Posted by liako21 (522 posts) -

just started playing as well a week or so ago. be a sorcerer. soul arrow will save your ass.

you should definately look at a guide on how to build your character. like which stats to beef etc.

in regards to the game i think should go in blind. finding secrets and and new paths is such a great feeling personally.

#15 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@liako21 said:

just started playing as well a week or so ago. be a sorcerer. soul arrow will save your ass.

you should definately look at a guide on how to build your character. like which stats to beef etc.

in regards to the game i think should go in blind. finding secrets and and new paths is such a great feeling personally.

Opening a new path is always fun. 
"Oh, a place I can unlock now? Well let's just go down these stairs an..HOLY SHIT WHAT THE.. WHAT IS THAT THING?! OH GOD! RUN! R.. NO! DON'T GET STUCK ON GEOMETRY! DANG IT!"  
But it still feels good because now you're prepared to go to the same place again and kill that son of a bitch. 
#16 Posted by captain_clayman (3321 posts) -

Look around on the wiki for a bit, but only once. Look at recommended area progression, a couple little hints, and then don't use it anymore. Don't use it while actually playing it, just jot down a couple things to remember. You don't want to become too dependent on the guide, or it will ruin your experience of finding new things or being surprised.

#17 Posted by liako21 (522 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@liako21 said:

Opening a new path is always fun. "Oh, a place I can unlock now? Well let's just go down these stairs an..HOLY SHIT WHAT THE.. WHAT IS THAT THING?! OH GOD! RUN! R.. NO! DON'T GET STUCK ON GEOMETRY! DANG IT!" But it still feels good because now you're prepared to go to the same place again and kill that son of a bitch.

the level design of the game is absolutely amazing imo. when u think you are going to open a door to a new area then u open that door and realize you just opened that locked door you passed a million times earlier. it just makes me feel like own the area, that I know it like the back of my hand. its weird i know.

#18 Posted by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

My advice is if you are worried about making a bad character (you really shouldn't be) then consult some build and stat guides before you even play the game. Other than that, try to avoid guides of any kind unless you are totally stonewalled by something.

#19 Posted by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

What I did was use a guide to determine a good order to do the areas in, and then didn't use to get through them.

#20 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

It won't harm your enjoyment of the game. It didn't harm mine. Well, by guide, I mean:

1. I read about stats, skills, starting classes, and builds.

2. I found information about secret weapons (the Drake Sword).

3. I looked at YouTube videos of certain bosses that were tromping my ass.

Even looking at vids of boss battles, it's an accomplishment to defeat things yourself. Just enjoy the game however you can.

#21 Edited by audioBusting (1535 posts) -

Like everyone says going blind makes it fun, but don't be afraid of looking up guides. There are 2 big Dark Souls wiki as far as I know (the one on wikidot and the other on wikispaces). I think Dark Souls is balanced enough to enjoy whatever your character choices are. I started with a Knight and I think it's a bit more forgiving than starting Knight in Demon's Souls. It is still pretty hard to play as Knight, so I don't recommend it unless you're super patient (and obviously don't pick the naked character either). I do recommend taking the Master Key though!

There is one thing the game doesn't teach you, and that is if you dodge while you sprint you can jump. Really useful to getting secrets.

edit: also, the multiplayer is quite convoluted and I do recommend reading the guide for that. Griefers can get really frustrating and you should learn how to avoid them.

#22 Edited by GnomeonFire (743 posts) -

Dark Souls is weird about this. There isn't really much a guide could ruin for you, because in the end the experience of the game is almost entirely in the playing of it and the...dying. A guide isn't going to save you from the wrath of Dark Souls.

#23 Posted by BaconGames (3417 posts) -

Use the wiki for mechanics and really knowing what the fuck all the character building and world mechanics are like. As far as a walkthrough, not really necessary as that's just not really what makes Dark Souls hard. Keep the exploration and the discovery fresh but refer to it when you know you're lost or you have no idea how to get past an area.

#24 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5477 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: Pretty much every build that doesn't have low vit and low stamina is easy once you're competent at the game.

#25 Posted by Aetheldod (3579 posts) -

go in blind ... only after your second or third run through should you check anything online. Part of the fun is finding stuff and getting to use them. Also read the descriptions ..... use your head

#26 Posted by Sinusoidal (1493 posts) -

Ahh the eternal conundrum: to guide or not to guide. The best piece of advice I can offer is that you should either use one right from the beginning or not at all. Too often I find myself starting out with the intention of not using one, then resorting to one halfway through and finding out about all kinds of awesome stuff I missed then getting pissed and debating whether to start over or not until I either just frustratedly plow through the rest of the game or give up on it.

#27 Posted by Evan223 (91 posts) -

Instead of reading a guide try and get a few friends to start playing and work it out together. I think one if the greatest things about Dark Souls was the way message boards lit up with people figuring out the games more obscure mechanics together, reminded me of being back in the playground asking friends how they got past a boss etc etc. It's a shame players coming to the game late don't get to enjoy that experience that I had which made it all that more enjoyable.

#28 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

A guide is useful for when you really have no clue as to where to go. The game gives you little to no direction in that sense. But the actual playing of the game is fairly straightforward: kill everything.

#29 Edited by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

@murisan said:

It won't harm your enjoyment of the game. It didn't harm mine. Well, by guide, I mean:

1. I read about stats, skills, starting classes, and builds.

2. I found information about secret weapons (the Drake Sword).

3. I looked at YouTube videos of certain bosses that were tromping my ass.

Even looking at vids of boss battles, it's an accomplishment to defeat things yourself. Just enjoy the game however you can.

Sounds like a pretty lame playthrough to me. You might as well just watch a let's play on youtube.

I highly recommend against looking up secrets and watching boss battles on youtube. This game is about discovering stuff and figuring out boss patterns by yourself. That's where the true enjoyment comes from.

#30 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@CptBedlam: It was fun. My point was for the OP to do it how HE wants. I did it how I wanted and had the most fun I could've had.

#31 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

@RonnieColeManMrO:

I'd only use it when you're starting out. Part of the fun of that game is experiencing everything on your own and figuring out how everything works. Though we all play through the same game figuring out the world alone gave me a better sense of ownership over the world and it's mechanics. As if I figured this out and it's uniquely mine (although that's crazy). It gives me that same sort of experience I had when I played the King's Field games on the PS1 as a kid.

#32 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Go blind. Figuring things out for yourself is a lot of the fun. Once you play through it once, looking at a guide and knowing the what weapons to use and such for a fast play through makes it fun for another run.

#33 Posted by benjo_t (152 posts) -

Use guides if you get stuck on the content you're currently playing, but don't use them to get "ahead of the game" - the exploration and discovery of new items, monsters and areas is what the game is arguably all about. Want to know more about a sword you just found? Go ahead and look it up. Just looking to find the most powerful stuff ASAP? You're kinda cheating yourself.

That said, play however you find the most fun. There's no wrong way.