#1 Edited by vegetashonor (820 posts) -

So Jeff claims to be a rock, and that has held up thus far. But P.T. is quite a different beast! Do you think Jeff should do a sort of "Spookin with Scoops"-esc live show while he plays it? I really would love to see his natural reactions, not just hear his podcast version of how he felt at the time. Take care everyone!

#2 Posted by Veektarius (5241 posts) -

This sounds like something he would never do.

#3 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1862 posts) -

You don't actually want this. Ten minutes in and he'll have nothing nice to say about the deliberately obtuse design.

#4 Posted by vegetashonor (820 posts) -

@veektarius: You're right, but I'd still love to see it.

#5 Posted by vegetashonor (820 posts) -

@soldierg654342: I really do, regardless how it turns out. One scare and I would be satisfied.

#6 Edited by Jay_Ray (1180 posts) -

@soldierg654342: I really do, regardless how it turns out. One scare and I would be satisfied.

A jump scare wouldn't count IMO for what you want. Jeff would have to react like:

And I just don't seeing Jeff doing that ever.

#7 Posted by shivermetimbers (877 posts) -

I don't think he'd be scared so much as bored and annoyed, which isn't funny to watch and is miserable for him. So no.

#8 Posted by JasonR86 (9994 posts) -

He won't like that game no matter how or when he plays it. For the most part Jeff is pretty reasonable and gives things a fair shot. But every once in a while he doesn't. Horror games seems to be one of those genres that he won't give much of a chance.

#9 Posted by Dixavd (1465 posts) -

What we need is something of the design budget of P.T. but on the Oculus Rift! It might have the novelty factor to get Jeff to do it - and the immersion involved to properly get to him.

That said, I'm a cry-baby that can't even watch videos of others paying horror games without being scared - so I probably wouldn't watch it anyway.

#10 Posted by Corevi (6795 posts) -
@dixavd said:

What we need is something of the design budget of P.T. but on the Oculus Rift! It might have the novelty factor to get Jeff to do it - and the immersion involved to properly get to him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Silent Hills supports the Morpheus when it eventually comes out.

#11 Posted by Mortuss_Zero (544 posts) -

There's no goddamn way Jeff would do anything enjoyable in that scenario. He'd just come down like a sack of hateful bricks on the game/demo. He'd talk about how it's "trash/garbage" and he only likes "fun" games, and tell the audience their opinions are worthless for liking it at all. Half of that would probably be hyperbole because he knows we'd expect it. The other half would be legit bile, Jeff seems to have no shortage of it. I just realized this all sounded sorta mean-spirited, sorry about that if it does. I just don't think it's a good idea going by Jeff's track record. Jeff's definitely gotten better since Dan came on.

#12 Edited by CornBREDX (6344 posts) -

Yes. I think he should record himself playing it under maximum potential conditions (in the dark with head phones with no distractions and alone) if possible. Live stream would be great but he doesn't have to live stream it.

I don't think he has ever even got in on a horror game themed quick look for this site. I have always wanted to see him play just one, and P.T. would be great (knowing that after the first maybe 30 minutes he would begin to hate the game for it's obtuse nature).

I don't believe he will ever do this, though.

#13 Posted by GunstarRed (5758 posts) -

No. Not everyone has to like everything, and Jeff very clearly isn't all that fond of horror. I'm sure he'd jump, I jumped, but I still didn't find the game scary and I'm usually a huge baby about this stuff. Patrick's reaction in the gif seems completely baffling to me.

#14 Posted by Dussck (441 posts) -

@gunstarred: I feel kind of the same. Yes the game was scary, but my god how on earth would you react like that. I feel the tension and sometimes I let out a sigh, but nowhere near the 'screaming on the top of your lungs, throwing the controller away, raising your arms in a cry for help'-state the whole Youtube community seems to be in.

I also played Amnesia, Slender, Outlast, etc. and P.T. does a better job scaring me then all of those games, but I still can't believe those reactions.

#15 Posted by Yummylee (23182 posts) -

That sounds disastrous for all involved for reasons already posted above.

#16 Posted by xPolyMorphic (76 posts) -

@dixavd said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Silent Hills supports the Morpheus when it eventually comes out.

I highly doubt Silent Hills will be first person

#17 Edited by NTM (8226 posts) -

I would watch it, though it'd probably be premium only, so I couldn't. And yeah, like others said above, he'd probably just trash the game after a while if he got stuck.

#18 Edited by NTM (8226 posts) -

@gunstarred: Surround Sound? It was pretty freaky, and I rarely find games to be that scary.

#19 Posted by MikeJFlick (452 posts) -

I hate "face cams", I rather not lose any respect Jeff has earned in my book from him doing one.

#20 Edited by Corevi (6795 posts) -
@xpolymorphic said:

@corruptedevil said:
@dixavd said:

Silent Hill 4 had first person segments when indoors, however I am inclined to agree with you.

#21 Posted by Yummylee (23182 posts) -

@xpolymorphic said:

@corruptedevil said:
@dixavd said:

Silent Hill 4 had first person segments when indoors, however I am inclined to agree with you.

Well, to be more specific when you were in your flat/apartment. All of the levels you'd enter via the hole in your bathroom would then function like a traditional Silent Hill game. Though yes, it's highly likely that Silent Hills will also at the very least primarily be third-person; you don't get a famous face like Norman Reedus and then hide it behind a first-person perspective.

#22 Posted by ShaggE (7020 posts) -

Nah. Don't get me wrong, I love watching Jeff play games he hates, but it would just be him trashing horror and horror fans for an hour, and I'm a little too into the genre to not take that a bit personally. Not in the "sonic_hedgehog" way of taking it personally (I miss that lovable lunatic), just that it wouldn't be very entertaining to me.

Now, I *would* love to hear Patrick and Jeff butt heads on the subject in a bombcast. That could potentially be hilarious and amazing.

#23 Posted by Castiel (2891 posts) -

I found the demo scary as shit but even I got tired and annoyed of the deliberately obtuse puzzles to the point where I just didn't care about it anymore. The demo would have been a lot better if it only was 15-20 minutes long and didn't have its head so far up its own ass.

#24 Posted by GunstarRed (5758 posts) -

I hate "face cams", I rather not lose any respect Jeff has earned in my book from him doing one.

There's a video, possibly on this site of him playing Mega Man 9 or 10 with the camera pointed at his face... So too late there I guess.

#25 Posted by Corevi (6795 posts) -

@mikejflick said:

There's a video, possibly on this site of him playing Mega Man 9 or 10 with the camera pointed at his face... So too late there I guess.

Encyclopedia Bombasticas use facecam as well (but only because the games are 4:3 and they need to fill the space somehow).

#26 Posted by xPolyMorphic (76 posts) -

@yummylee said:

@corruptedevil said:
@xpolymorphic said:

@corruptedevil said:
@dixavd said:

Well, to be more specific when you were in your flat/apartment. All of the levels you'd enter via the hole in your bathroom would then function like a traditional Silent Hill game. Though yes, it's highly likely that Silent Hills will also at the very least primarily be third-person; you don't get a famous face like Norman Reedus and then hide it behind a first-person perspective.

It would be an interesting experiment to use third person while in the streets of Silent Hill and first person while exploring indoor areas.

#27 Posted by CornBREDX (6344 posts) -

I've been trying to sleep so I'm watching old quick looks and realized I'm stupid. One of the first quick looks I ever watched on this site was a "horror" game that Jeff and Ryan quick looked called "Calling".

Duh, I've totally seen Jeff play a horror game before. Not a good one, but he has played at least one for a quick look before. My last comment is incorrect on that.

I don't know why I forgot that- this quick look is hilarious.

#28 Posted by vegetashonor (820 posts) -

@yummylee: Unless he is only being paid cut scene type money. Hah.

#29 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2510 posts) -

Aside from the editor's personal views, how scary can P. T still be after being devoured and regurgitated by the social media monster?

#30 Posted by flasaltine (1807 posts) -

All he would say is "Oh boy! That monster is there!" Then do a Ghoul voice. He couldn't help himself to start making jokes. He would never take it seriously.

#31 Posted by hollitz (1948 posts) -

He'd never give it a good chance. Jeff likes what he likes and everything else is the literal worst thing in the world.

#32 Posted by kagato (1021 posts) -

All this would turn out like is things jumping out at Jeff and him shrugging, looking at the camera to tell us how dumb it is lol, would be funny but i think Patrick is more entertaining to watch in this kind of game.

#33 Posted by Drebin_893 (2991 posts) -

All that would happen is, like he said, he wouldn't get scared, he'd find it boring and then people would shout at him for being "jaded" and negative.

#34 Edited by MonetaryDread (2292 posts) -

I would love for Jeff to do this. I cannot stand watching Spooking With Scoops because of how fake Patrick seems in his videos. He always changes his voice and starts speaking in this affected, weird-theatrical style, then he becomes way too exaggerated in his responses and starts hamming it up in front of the camera. Even if he isn't intentional in his actions, he still comes off as looking fake and I find that more unnerving than the games he plays.

#35 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (4006 posts) -

Nah. It'll just be Jeff crapping on it the whole time. That could be entertaining in its own way but not the way the op wants it to be in guessing.

#36 Posted by Corvak (1195 posts) -

I doubt it. Already an hour long QL on the site, I doubt theyll do anything more with P.T.

#37 Posted by ez123 (2008 posts) -

So Jeff claims to be a rock, and that has held up thus far.

Wut?

#38 Posted by Rafaelfc (1728 posts) -

The only time we'll hear Jeff talking about P.T. again is when Patrick brings it up on GOTY discussions for it to be included on the top 10 and Jeff immediately shoot him down by saying it is a teaser so it does not qualify.

#39 Posted by cmblasko (1452 posts) -

Jeff's at his best when he is miserable so I say go for it.

#40 Edited by gr8kamon (24 posts) -

@rafaelfc: Would Patrick though? Maybe I missed a tweet or something from him, but from the stream I didn't get the feeling he superbly enjoyed it. It certainly scared him, but near the end it seemed he was getting irritated at the ridiculousness that is the end of that thing.

@flacracker: This is exactly what he would do, and I would love to see it.

#41 Edited by billymagnum (860 posts) -

@vegetashonor said:

So Jeff claims to be a rock, and that has held up thus far. But P.T. is quite a different beast! Do you think Jeff should do a sort of "Spookin with Scoops"-esc live show while he plays it? I really would love to see his natural reactions, not just hear his podcast version of how he felt at the time. Take care everyone!

but why would jeff do a spookin' with scoops....when scoops already does spookin' with scoops-es??? especially since there's no way he hasn't already been exposed to the content to at least some extent so there's not much to react to....

@ez123 said:

@vegetashonor said:

So Jeff claims to be a rock, and that has held up thus far.

Wut?

I think you misheard Jeff, he often claims to love the movie The Rock.

#42 Posted by The_Nubster (2488 posts) -

No. Jeff wouldn't let it scare him if a camera were pointed at his face. He'd talk constantly about whatever came into his mind so that the game couldn't envelop him in the atmosphere, so all of the subtle scares and build-up of tension would be lost on him, and then he'd start shitting all over it when he got stuck.

#43 Posted by pinner458 (1007 posts) -

@cornbredx: Wow, thank you for that. Ryan is on top form in that, I hadn't seen it before.

#44 Edited by fossas (240 posts) -

Yes

#45 Edited by Milkman (17778 posts) -

Sounds like something that would be zero fun for everyone involved.

#46 Posted by Basm321 (409 posts) -

@shivermetimbers: what? When jeff doesn't find a game entertaining and complains about it, I find that incredibly entertaining and funny

#47 Edited by Hunter5024 (6246 posts) -

Since they already explained the scare in detail on the Bombcast I can't imagine it actually being particularly effective. That's why I haven't played it.

#48 Edited by Dan_CiTi (3812 posts) -

The ability to be scared was removed out of Jeff's brain at the age of 14, it's canon in the lore trust me. Remember that episode of Code Geass where Lelouch ordered Suzaku to "live"? It is sort of like that. Trust me I've read the unabridged Bombilmarillion. So no, not really.

#49 Posted by XenoNick (1514 posts) -

Nah. When they talked about it on the podcast before it sounds like Jeff can't easily put himself in THAT mood that where horror games work.