#1 Posted by SpudBug (631 posts) -

All of us have experienced how terribly slow, bloated, and unresponsive the 360 dashboard is these days.

When the Xbox one has established itself (if it establishes itself) why not release a "basic UI" for the 360 that doesn't include all the Ads, animations, avatars, metro UI, and everything else that has slowed the system down over the years.

Just a simple game/app menu and marketplace menu, a lot like the PS3's simple menu would be very welcome.

I guess they still make a lot of money on ads for the 360 and xbox 360s will continue to be used for the next 5 years at least, so maybe not, but man, I hate using the 360 for anything these days.

#2 Posted by tsutohiro (346 posts) -

I think its a non-issue. There's so much processing power allocated to the next-gen consoles, they'll both have pretty seamless access for switching between the game and the menus, no?

#3 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Probably not. MS has a hard-on for the whole tile-thing they've been pushing on tablet OSs and WIN8(which I personally despise.)

I don't even think Sony themselves would want to use the XMB on PS4 either and that's a crying shame...

#4 Edited by Vonocourt (2107 posts) -

I don't see them using the resources to design and release a new UI for an old console, especially one that would remove potential ad revenue. Would be nice though.

#5 Posted by bigjeffrey (4157 posts) -

They should reinstate the blades back.

#6 Posted by ajamafalous (11591 posts) -

Blades has and always will be better than NXE.

#7 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

@spudbug:

huh? the only thing I have a problem with on the dash is the ad's otherwise its fast, responsive and not bloated at all stuff is very easy to find for me...

#8 Posted by believer258 (11040 posts) -

Why would they do that when they've already put so much money into developing a UI that hinders the user from easy and fast navigation and slaps them in the face with ads?

#9 Posted by Humanity (7948 posts) -

@believer258: I know right? Every time I turn on my 360 and want to play GTA V it's such a huge hassle to press A so the game starts loading. Then I'm completely BLASTED in the eyes by the single square tile in the lower right corner advertising something. Don't even get me started on trying to find anything! When I want to locate a game I'm constantly being slapped in the face by having to press LB once and type in what I'm looking for. It's deplorable I tell you.

#10 Posted by XenoLair (35 posts) -

Once they finally stop updating news/ads for 360, they really should do something like this but I doubt they will. Once xbone is out, 360 is going to slowly die.

I've actually set up my 360 to just launch the game thats in the tray directly. It takes more time booting up to the dashboard than it takes my 5 yo PC to boot windows. Its crazy.

#11 Posted by Morningstar (2047 posts) -

Why would they?

#12 Posted by CircleNine (380 posts) -

No because as much as gamers have ineptly complained about ads on the 360 dash for the past years how many of them have really ended up canceling xbox live or stopped using their 360 all together because of it?

#13 Edited by SpudBug (631 posts) -

@humanity: you must have purchased a 360 pretty recently. I've had one since launch p, and am now using a white slim from black Friday last year. It takes literally 15-20 seconds to see the dashboard on startup and almost as long to do things like load the games library, marketplace, or friends list.

When I started using it again recently I had to do a connection test every time the console turned on before it would connect to live until I changed some cryptic settings in my router settings to appease the Xbox. I had been playing on PC and ps3 for a few months before that without problem.

#14 Posted by SpudBug (631 posts) -

@circlenine: I think once the ps4 comes out you will see what you are asking about become true.

#15 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -

@spudbug said:

All of us have experienced how terribly slow, bloated, and unresponsive the 360 dashboard is these days.

When the Xbox one has established itself (if it establishes itself) why not release a "basic UI" for the 360 that doesn't include all the Ads, animations, avatars, metro UI, and everything else that has slowed the system down over the years.

Just a simple game/app menu and marketplace menu, a lot like the PS3's simple menu would be very welcome.

I guess they still make a lot of money on ads for the 360 and xbox 360s will continue to be used for the next 5 years at least, so maybe not, but man, I hate using the 360 for anything these days.

All those ads and things you mentionned don't slow down the UI. Having bought a brand new system a few months ago, everything runs fast and smooth compared to my old Elite system. The difference is that the elite had a ton of games and saves on it which slowed it down.

It's a design flaw with the system itself, I doubt making a "minimal UI" without ovehauling something will change anything.

#16 Posted by Humanity (7948 posts) -

@spudbug: you must take bad care of your electronics! I've owned a 360 since 2009. I'm currently on my third 360, a 250gb slim, and while the initial startup has gotten pretty slow, everything else works perfectly fine. I've also moved three times in the past 3 years, one of those moves from the US to Europe, and I've never had to fiddle with cryptic settings for Live to work properly in any of the three places I've lived. I DID have to fiddle with a bunch of cryptic menu's on my PS3 though - boy that whole system was very obviously designed by engineers for engineers.

#17 Posted by believer258 (11040 posts) -

@humanity said:

@believer258: I know right? Every time I turn on my 360 and want to play GTA V it's such a huge hassle to press A so the game starts loading. Then I'm completely BLASTED in the eyes by the single square tile in the lower right corner advertising something. Don't even get me started on trying to find anything! When I want to locate a game I'm constantly being slapped in the face by having to press LB once and type in what I'm looking for. It's deplorable I tell you.

Last time I turned on my 360 while connected to the internet, it took a minute or two to get to the dashboard and I saw one ad in a square bigger than every other square and another that was smaller. I keep getting ads if I move to the right or left. I feel like I'm on the IGN of console dashboards. And half the time these fucking ads don't even have anything to do with video games. A 360 can't have a long instruction set like a PC does, can it? So how come it takes so long to boot up and how come it takes so long to go into a menu and look at a list of my games? I don't doubt that it has something to do with streaming all of those unwelcome ads in.

I don't want them at all, so I simply don't connect my 360 to the internet anymore. My 360 is from 2007, by the way, and was well-taken care of. It still overheats if I play it for too long or keep it in a more cramped space than "out in the open", and the disc drive doesn't open half the time.

#18 Posted by AlecOfTheWest (240 posts) -

Am I the only one who kind of likes ads on the dashboard? Idk, it just gives the dashboard more of a "social media" aspect to it. Or maybe our society has just brainwashed me.

#19 Posted by TooWalrus (12973 posts) -

It just gives the dashboard more of a "social media" aspect to it.

That sounds more like a knock than a complement to me.

#20 Posted by AlecOfTheWest (240 posts) -

@toowalrus: Maybe badly-worded, but I can't really articulate what I'm trying to say lol.

#21 Edited by Drebin_893 (2872 posts) -

@tsutohiro said:

I think its a non-issue. There's so much processing power allocated to the next-gen consoles, they'll both have pretty seamless access for switching between the game and the menus, no?

You have read neither the subject line nor the post correctly.

#22 Edited by xyzygy (9623 posts) -

The UI isn't bad so I don't see a reason why they would.

Also, when the hell are they releasing the new dashboard? I am in the beta but I moved to Germany over a month ago so I have no news about it, and before that I think I was in the beta for like 2 months. Anyone know when the release date is?

#23 Edited by Clonedzero (3720 posts) -

@humanity said:

Last time I turned on my 360 while connected to the internet, it took a minute or two to get to the dashboard and I saw one ad in a square bigger than every other square and another that was smaller. I keep getting ads if I move to the right or left. I feel like I'm on the IGN of console dashboards. And half the time these fucking ads don't even have anything to do with video games. A 360 can't have a long instruction set like a PC does, can it? So how come it takes so long to boot up and how come it takes so long to go into a menu and look at a list of my games? I don't doubt that it has something to do with streaming all of those unwelcome ads in.

I don't want them at all, so I simply don't connect my 360 to the internet anymore. My 360 is from 2007, by the way, and was well-taken care of. It still overheats if I play it for too long or keep it in a more cramped space than "out in the open", and the disc drive doesn't open half the time.

Way to exaggerate. I have a fat Elite model thats like 6 years old and it takes like 15 seconds to boot up to dashboard then i hit A to enter game, two panels down is "recent" where i can access all my aps, and i can pin them to a panel one button down.

Also, if you haven't turned on your 360 while connected to the internet in a long ass time like you say, why are you commenting on it?

#24 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

I don't see any reason why they would want to spend resources to redesign the UI of the 360 when there will no doubt be a lot of work to do with them just launching a new console. I doubt the 360 will get any new features or big changes after the One comes out.

#25 Posted by spraynardtatum (2122 posts) -

I would be really happy if they did this. That dashboard is a mess.

#26 Posted by phantomzxro (1532 posts) -

I do believe the UI is a bit slower than past UI, and i don't like how it feels like app and ad spaces take priority over games. I dislike how clicking on the game i want to play is the small tile on the start menu. I liked how it was before where you had a selection that had all your gaming needs in one area.

#27 Posted by cmblasko (1006 posts) -

That'd be great. The dashboard is in a very poor state IMO.

#28 Posted by EXTomar (4125 posts) -

It would be nice but why would Microsoft give up even a small opportunity to throw more ads at people?

#29 Posted by spraynardtatum (2122 posts) -

@extomar said:

It would be nice but why would Microsoft give up even a small opportunity to throw more ads at people?

Just to be decent.........

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH