• 81 results
Edited 1 year, 7 months ago

Poll: Should New Users be Forced to Choose an Avatar on Account Creation? (283 votes)

Yes 17%
No 48%
Doesn't Bother Me Either Way 25%
I Came Here to See Some Results 9%

One of my pet peev's when browsing the forums is seeing users with the default avatar. I don't know if I'm the only one but I instantly go into a thread or look at a comment using the default avatar thinking it's going to be spam, that coupled with the low post cost doesn't help either.

So the question is as above - Should New Users be Forced to choose an avatar on account creation?

I'm not saying they have to go through the process of uploading a picture to the site, they can use the handy image finder and cropping tools on the site and go from there, just something to let me know that there's a human being behind those word's that chose something other than the default. Legitimate new users should want to do this as hopefully there posts won't get disregarded as 'insta-spam.'

I don't know what the signing up process is like now as I signed up in the beginning but when picking the user name the next step should be 'choose avatar' be they can go any further.

#1 Posted by jking47 (1246 posts) -

Nope, it lets me know how much effort the user is putting into his profile/the community.

#2 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

"I Came Here to See Some Results" funniest poll option eva

my answer is it doesnt bother me

#3 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

No. People should do whatever the fuck they want with their profiles.

#4 Posted by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

Nah, if they are active the community, they'll just get one later. It shouldn't be demanded.

#5 Edited by Chtasm (459 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

No. People should do whatever the fuck they want with their profiles.

Dis.

#6 Posted by Pazy (2601 posts) -

No, people will get an Avatar if they care if enough in time.

#7 Posted by BPRJCTX (709 posts) -
@jking47 said:

Nope, it lets me know how much effort the user is putting into his profile/the community.

Hello Mr. Judge...

I really don't care, that's the short answer, and why should i?!

Am i gonna get more respect, or more forum cred, with a stupid anime or movie avatar?!

I think that, the content of my posts should be enough for you to get a clue of what kind of guy i am, and what i think.

But i guess that, people who care about someone's avatar, are kind like ppl who are more interested in beauty than personality, so...

#8 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

I think it should be encouraged. It makes you more recognizable and it sort of gives you a personality.

@bprjctx said:

Am i gonna get more respect, or more forum cred, with a stupid anime or movie avatar?!

Woah man, ease up a bit. What's so wrong with displaying some of your interests up front with a favorite movie or anime avatar?

#9 Posted by LackingSaint (1848 posts) -

Who cares? I don't even think NAMES should be required. Just raw text all up in this.

#10 Edited by ThePencil (390 posts) -

This is kinda a silly question. It's your pet peeve, you get over it. Let users do whatever the they want with their profile, it's theirs to do so.

#11 Edited by laserbolts (5349 posts) -

Nah I dont care what people have as their avatar. People constantly change them anyways so its hard to keep track.

#12 Edited by BPRJCTX (709 posts) -

I think it should be encouraged. It makes you more recognizable and it sort of gives you a personality.

@bprjctx said:

Woah man, ease up a bit. What's so wrong with displaying some of your interests up front with a favorite movie or anime avatar?

I wasn't looking to offend anyone personally, so, sorry if you felt that way.

I just think that, it's fine if you wanna put something you like in there, but it's also fine if you don't care enough to do it, and it's just stupid to say that you should do somethung that should in no away affect the perception that people have of you and your comments.

With our without an avatar, with or without a name, what should be important is the message, not the messenger...

#13 Posted by Milkman (17192 posts) -

They shouldn't be forced to but I don't see why they wouldn't just do it. But I guess I shouldn't talk because I've been an egg on Twitter for years now.

#14 Edited by MeganeAgain (123 posts) -

It doesn't really matter. Even though it'll difficult to recognize these users, what's important really is what they have to say.

#15 Edited by Hamst3r (4554 posts) -

Yes.

Or, the site should at least randomize or designate a unique avatar to new users like some sites do.

Unique avatars help me keep track of who's posting and what they've posted before.

#16 Posted by Gamer_152 (14099 posts) -

No, it would be an unnecessary barrier for entry. I hate when I sign up for a site and there's stuff in the registration process that doesn't feel like it needs to be there. You can argue that users don't put across a personality well without one, but if so that's their loss because of a choice they made.

#17 Edited by Godlyawesomeguy (6401 posts) -

That'd be incredibly silly and ultimately an unnecessary barrier to entry.

#18 Edited by Jams (2965 posts) -

@bprjctx said:

@mrsignerman44 said:

@bprjctx said:

I just think that, it's fine if you wanna put something you like in there, but it's also fine if you don't care enough to do it, and it's just stupid to say that you should do somethung that should in no away affect the perception that people have of you and your comments.

With our without an avatar, with or without a name, what should be important is the message, not the messenger...

@hamst3r said:

Yes.

Or, the site should at least randomize or designate a unique avatar to new users like some sites do.

Unique avatars help me keep track of who's posting and what they've posted before.

Yeah all it is to me is a way to put a 'face' to the post. It'd be a lot harder to remember names than to see a bunch of posts with the same icon. That way you can instantly recognize who's post you're reading (and over time you get a feel for the person behind the image/name).

#19 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

No way.

I love seeing higher post counts without an avatar. That's one of my favourite things.

#20 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

Considering the post restrictions on new users? I like the idea of avatar restrictions.

1000 post minimum.

#21 Posted by zFUBARz (637 posts) -

I don't necessarily think they should be forced. It would be fun to make them suffer the consequences of choosing not to. Perhaps assigning random memes and other embarrassing images to those who don't. Ala will smith cum face!

#22 Edited by Daveyo520 (6930 posts) -

I am all for forced avatars and post count ristrictions.

#23 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

If they don't care enough to at least select an avatar, I don't care enough to read their post.

#24 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2040 posts) -

Freedom! Let them have default avatars or chosen avatars if they want!

#25 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

no, thats fucking stupid.

untwist your panties

#26 Edited by BPRJCTX (709 posts) -

@jams said:

@bprjctx said:

@mrsignerman44 said:

@bprjctx said:

@hamst3r said:

Yes.

Yeah all it is to me is a way to put a 'face' to the post. It'd be a lot harder to remember names than to see a bunch of posts with the same icon. That way you can instantly recognize who's post you're reading (and over time you get a feel for the person behind the image/name).

Well then, i think i'm the only guy with the standard avatar and 500+ posts, so, i think that's a good way for people to recognize me.

#27 Posted by FreakAche (2955 posts) -

No, but the default image should be changed to a picture of Sonic the Hedgehog.

#28 Posted by BPRJCTX (709 posts) -

@mcghee said:

If they don't care enough to at least select an avatar, I don't care enough to read their post.

Wow...

And from a guy with a really high post count...

Giant bomb community...

You changed...

#29 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

No. Leave me the fuck alone.

#30 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

@bprjctx said:

@mcghee said:

Wow...

Giant bomb community...

You changed...

eh, its been like that for awhile. hell look at the comments of any even remotely popular games trailer. its a bunch of snarky assholes complaining about a game they have no intention of ever playing.

the community has gotten so bitter and cynical its kinda toxic at times.

#31 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4867 posts) -

@bprjctx said:

For real. I see an anime thing in the avatar and I just skip right along to the next post. It helps me weed out the people I have no interest in hearing from.

#32 Posted by TruthTellah (9419 posts) -

It shouldn't be forced on people, but it should be greatly encouraged.

Like "Hey, you don't need to do this, but... it would be awesome if you did."

#33 Posted by TruthTellah (9419 posts) -

@mrsignerman44 said:

@bprjctx said:

For real. I see an anime thing in the avatar and I just skip right along to the next post. It helps me weed out the people I have no interest in hearing from.

Hey now, that's almost as bad as those who just pass over posts with just the default image. I can understand getting certain impressions from user images or lack there of, but that's no reason to just skip over comments. Some people like the default image and some people like anime or other things you may not; it's not a big deal next to the real content of what they're saying.

#34 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Nah, this ain't a Nazi state. Do whatever the eff you like.

#36 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@bprjctx said:

@mcghee said:

Wow...

Giant bomb community...

You changed...

Tell it to your therapist, no face.

#37 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@bprjctx said:

@mcghee said:

Wow...

Giant bomb community...

You changed...

eh, its been like that for awhile. hell look at the comments of any even remotely popular games trailer. its a bunch of snarky assholes complaining about a game they have no intention of ever playing.

You all take this way too seriously. lol

#38 Posted by Slag (4734 posts) -

@jking47 said:

#39 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12002 posts) -

Nah. That would be a bit over the line, honestly. People can do what they want, and if they want to remain a faceless presence then that's their prerogative. Also, think of it this way: It allows us to identify spambots that much easier.

#41 Edited by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Nope.

#42 Posted by Sanaj (173 posts) -

No. Going through another registration sucks enough as is.

#43 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5855 posts) -

nah.

although a set of default avatars to choose from might be a good idea.

#45 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5902 posts) -

#46 Edited by shenstra (165 posts) -

No, because (at the risk of stepping on all the toes) avatars are pointless when pretty much everyone has a random video game character, random anime character, random Japanese lady or Ryan as their avatar.

#47 Posted by Tarsier (1076 posts) -

wtf is this

#48 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@clonedzero said:

@bprjctx said:

@mcghee said:

Wow...

Giant bomb community...

You changed...

You all take this way too seriously. lol

THIS IS IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR A SERIOUS COMMUNITY YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!

#49 Edited by Hunter5024 (5902 posts) -

I just can't respect anybody that doesn't have a cute anime girl next to their name.

#50 Posted by RazielCuts (2981 posts) -

I'm not quite sure why all the backlash. Maybe you feel like I'm telling you what to do because I used the word 'forced' and as soon as you saw that went into a blind punk 'Fuck The Establishment' mode. (Mandatory?)

It's like someone saying to you 'Don't play in the fire because it'll burn you and you'll get hurt' and your response is 'I'm independent! I'll do what I want! You're not the boss of me!'. This would be something that would help you in the long run, it just kind of shows an immaturity.

Okay, maybe not on initial sign up, but what if there were a piece of code running in the background and when you reach the 10th post or so a prompt comes up saying 'Hey, you're becoming part of the community, would you like to update your avatar to express yourself?' then when they're already in the system and using it this becomes an easier proposition.

(@hamst3rI like the few different avatars idea but I think they'll easily become recognisable as 'default' as well, I guess with that they've chose something at least.)

Judging by the response so far though I'm probably just wasting my time trying to include users that don't want to be thought about.