Should New Users be Forced to Choose an Avatar on Account Creation?

• 81 results
RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By RazielCuts

Poll Should New Users be Forced to Choose an Avatar on Account Creation? (283 votes)

Yes 17%
No 48%
Doesn't Bother Me Either Way 25%
I Came Here to See Some Results 9%

One of my pet peev's when browsing the forums is seeing users with the default avatar. I don't know if I'm the only one but I instantly go into a thread or look at a comment using the default avatar thinking it's going to be spam, that coupled with the low post cost doesn't help either.

So the question is as above - Should New Users be Forced to choose an avatar on account creation?

I'm not saying they have to go through the process of uploading a picture to the site, they can use the handy image finder and cropping tools on the site and go from there, just something to let me know that there's a human being behind those word's that chose something other than the default. Legitimate new users should want to do this as hopefully there posts won't get disregarded as 'insta-spam.'

I don't know what the signing up process is like now as I signed up in the beginning but when picking the user name the next step should be 'choose avatar' be they can go any further.

• 
tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By tread311

I eventually added an avatar picture simply out of convenience, it is way easier to find my posts in a thread this way. This picture of my dog just happened to be one of the few I had on my computer. Works for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm surprised at some of the responses in this thread, do people really skip reading other peoples post because of their avatar? That seems like a silly reason to not read a post.

Sooo... Does anyone skip my posts because I have a My Little Pony avatar??

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just can't respect anybody that doesn't have a cute anime girl next to their name.

Word.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#54  Edited By Bollard

I think that once you pick you should be unable to change (except to add a Christmas hat).

That way bitches know who you are.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chavtheworld: What? No, then I can't change my avatar every 2 weeks! : (

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#56  Edited By Bollard
Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#57  Edited By Kidavenger

If you force people to choose avatars all you will get is a bunch of terrible avatars.

It's also nice to know who doesn't give a shit just by looking at their default avatar.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By neurotic

I dunno, I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference. It'd probably be easier to recognise people, but it's not really that hard to look a few inches to the right to see their username. Also, I think disregarding someone's post because of their avatar, whether it's the default or just something you don't like is supremely unfair.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#59  Edited By GS_Dan

I don't know who you are unless you have an avatar.

EDIT: Also, all users should be required to have xmas hat avatars all year round.

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Judging by the response so far though I'm probably just wasting my time trying to include users that don't want to be thought about.

Bingo, what that fuck do I care if you associate my words with some picture, persona, or name. Just fucking read them.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By Jams

I'm surprised at some of the responses in this thread, do people really skip reading other peoples post because of their avatar? That seems like a silly reason to not read a post.

Sooo... Does anyone skip my posts because I have a My Little Pony avatar??

Did... did anyone else just hear that? I thought I heard somebody say something?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Get your hands off my avatar Obama!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everybody must be forced to submit a pancake recipe of above average quality upon site registration or else...!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By MikkaQ

I think they should, I just tend to ignore what they say until they have one. I can't remember people's names, but I can remember avatars so if people don't have one I have no idea who they are.

Also I'm with @chavtheworld people should commit to avatars like they commit to usernames. For visually minded people like me it's important. I've had mine for 4 years now.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

No, I don't like it ether, but only because I have seen so many posts with the default avatar that are just spam, or trash posts. If people are forced to pick an avatar, then you will probably see some other thing to change.

"If you give a mouse a cookie"

Also forcing people to be active in a community just lowers the community standards. People dont even want stupid people voting, imagine if you were forced to vote, or forced to have kids. It is an extreme example, but the idea still stands.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By ajamafalous

No. I kept the default avatar through over 2000 posts before finally changing it, because that's what I wanted to do. Forcing someone to pick an avatar is stupid.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By InternetCrab

No, people should be free to actually give a shit.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I voted "Yes", mainly because I associate a lot of people on this (and other) forums with their avatars, I recognise very few people from their usernames alone, especially if their name is: "xXxS1ckSkiilzxXx".

@mikkaq: I just assume that everyone without an avatar is the same oddly prolific person.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@bprjctx said:
@jking47 said:

Nope, it lets me know how much effort the user is putting into his profile/the community.

Hello Mr. Judge...

I really don't care, that's the short answer, and why should i?!

Am i gonna get more respect, or more forum cred, with a stupid anime or movie avatar?!

I think that, the content of my posts should be enough for you to get a clue of what kind of guy i am, and what i think.

But i guess that, people who care about someone's avatar, are kind like ppl who are more interested in beauty than personality, so...

Perhaps you should consider a unique avatar, as your egregious employment of comma splices isn't doing anything for you.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By MikkaQ

@serhulse said:

I voted "Yes", mainly because I associate a lot of people on this (and other) forums with their avatars, I recognise very few people from their usernames alone, especially if their name is: "xXxS1ckSkiilzxXx".

@mikkaq: I just assume that everyone without an avatar is the same oddly prolific person.

That's true, I tend to just assign a hive-mind to them. That's why I get really freaked out when you see two people without avatars disagreeing with each other.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been on this site for 4 years and 3 of those I was a premium subscriber. I added an avatar 2 months ago.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#72  Edited By pyromagnestir

Nope. But I do think anyone besides me who chooses Milky as an avatar should be banned.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care about avatars. At all. It's just a stupid picture.

Istealdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We should also assign a Star of Some kind to those who don't as well to bring attention to them, cause who wants to sully this community with those lesser "people".

Oh wait....

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#75  Edited By tread311

@chavtheworld: It is indeed. He's rolling around on his back. Although now that you mention it his head is mostly cropped out of the picture.

Edit: Or at least was. Fixed!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adding another step to yet another registration process? Sounds smart.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drxlecter said:

@razielcuts said:

Judging by the response so far though I'm probably just wasting my time trying to include users that don't want to be thought about.

Bingo, what that fuck do I care if you associate my words with some picture, persona, or name. Just fucking read them.

That's the point though, I probably won't.

Istealdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I support Giant Bomb with more money monthly than you do, so in my opinion what I have to say carries more weight than yours.

am i doing this right?

Also can someone start a petition to change the default avatar icon to the Star of David? I'm pretty sure that is the only way to make these people happy.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#79  Edited By 49th

Yeah, and then they should upload the default avatar anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It would probably a better idea to do away with post counts. It is almost obnoxius how that meaningless number is shoved in your face right after the username.

As for the avatars: No. Because freedom, you know.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

Absolutely. Everyone should be required to pick an avatar during registration, and they must never change it. It makes it easier to keep track of who everyone is.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@cloudenvy said:

@hunter5024 said:

I just can't respect anybody that doesn't have a cute anime girl next to their name.

Word.

Surprisingly you're the first respectable person in this thread.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By BPRJCTX

@jjweatherman said:

@bprjctx said:
@jking47 said:

Nope, it lets me know how much effort the user is putting into his profile/the community.

Hello Mr. Judge...

I really don't care, that's the short answer, and why should i?!

Am i gonna get more respect, or more forum cred, with a stupid anime or movie avatar?!

I think that, the content of my posts should be enough for you to get a clue of what kind of guy i am, and what i think.

But i guess that, people who care about someone's avatar, are kind like ppl who are more interested in beauty than personality, so...

Perhaps you should consider a unique avatar, as your egregious employment of comma splices isn't doing anything for you.

I love people like you, and you know why...

Because the only reason you're pointing out the way i write or even my grammar, is because you have no arguments, you have absolutely nothing to add to this conversation, so you try to attack me personally, but don't worry, i got something to tell you, that's just gonna blow your mind...

I'm not a native english speaker, i never lived in an english speaking country, my parents don't speak english, my friends don't speak english, and i didn't even go to school to learn english, i learned english basically for myself, and...

I can safely say that, i speak and write better english than 80% of the US population...

Now, if you have anything else to tell me, we can continue this conversation in my native language, and that would be Portuguese, because i really don't want to keep bothering you with my english.

If not, well, take care man.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#84  Edited By shinboy630

@bprjctx said:

Idk I kinda think these things go hand and hand when it comes to forum avatars. I learn to read a certain user's posts because of their personality/the content of the posts, but then use their avatar as a quick way to ID their posts. If they just use the generic default avatar, that becomes harder to do, and there is a better chance I just skip over their post. My $.02

Edit: Even with what I said above, forcing people to pick an avatar when they sign up is a dumb idea. Let people do what they want.