Should Snipers be removed from video games?

• 93 results
RivenD3ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RivenD3ll

RivenD3ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RivenD3ll

After playing a good couple hours of BC2 (Aswell Mw2), I've stumbled upon the fact that snipers are a huge pain in the ass. By this I mean constantly being mowed down by someone 500 yards away with a pull of a trigger. In BFBC2 [Or Battlefield in essence] is full of them. Rather it be BF1943 or Vietnam, it's not only annoying but stresses you out after a while.

In MW2 [Or CoD in essence], there is always some dipshit just waiting for you to run through their scope to 1 shot you, be it a standard player or someone who has a shitload of upper/lowercase "X's" in their names typically followed with "Legit" or "Scope".

***Edit**** (Forgot this one): And if you're one of the few that actually still play Medal of Honor [2010], you'd know what I mean.

I was just wondering if the general community, better yet Giantbomb, thinks they are fucking annoying. Thanks for your input.

i69edUrGpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By i69edUrGpa

Perhaps give your opinion and contribute to your own thread?

oh and my opinion is no...no they should not...

u mad that you can't rock domes?

Avatar image for prince_of_space
Prince_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Prince_of_Space

Yes, depictions of snipers and sniper-related violence are corrupting the youth, we should ban this sick filth.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mikemcn

I can take the scope off my Sniper Rifle in BF3 and just use Iron sights, all is forgiven!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder

@Prince_of_Space said:

Yes, depictions of snipers and sniper-related violence are corrupting the youth, we should ban this sick filth.

I think we should ban shooting in general; also, explosions and gerbils.

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By The_Tolman

No, stop complaining and play the game.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Slaker117

No, games should just be tuned properly for their specific gameplay balance.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I think all guns should be removed from video games.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Animasta

the sniper is the funniest class in TF2 though.

LET'S

HAVE

A GO AT IT

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By StaticFalconar

Nope, they should just take into account ballistic charts that account for wind speeds, curvature of bullets and whatever else I can't think off the top of my head.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By babblinmule
@BeachThunder said:

@Prince_of_Space said:

I think we should ban shooting in general; also, explosions and gerbils.

Don't forget Guinea Pigs - the evil, demonic cousin of those youth-corrupting gerbils!
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BraveToaster

They're annoying, but they shouldn't be removed from games. As popular as the games you listed are, I'm positive that you can find some tips and tricks online.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

No, I do hate the new snipers are the most skilled mentality though.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RE_Player1

I love being a sniper. Killing people from so far away they don't even expect it. I get pleasure taking lives from the shadows...

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Seesic

It can get annoying but I don't think it's unbalanced so l'm ok with them.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By crusader8463

I think people that complain about snipers should be hunted down, tagged, sterilized, and not allowed to ever play another shooter again in their life.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By laserbolts

Nope the only time I've been annoyed by snipers was in bad company 2.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bicycleham

Next thing you know you won't want naked cartoon pussy.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RE_Player1

Also snipers teach you not to run around without a care in the world, they are very important. Take your time and take cover. Being a sniper in Killzone 3 I can tell throughout a match I have people changing their pathways and speed after taking them out so many times in one spot. It's very satisfying and challenging to guess where they will appear next and make sure while your looking down the scope no one is close by.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By bed

just shoot them

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Animasta

@AjayRaz said:

just shoot them

go away whitta

RivenD3ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RivenD3ll

@crusader8463:

I'm not complaining rather reaching out to get an opinion(s). But the way you view the topic is your own, princess.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Branthog

After the racism and homophobia in online shooters, my next biggest complaint is snipers. I want sniping to be more like sniping in a game. You find an advantage. You set yourself up, there. You exercise patience and skill and pick people off from a distance. That's a thrill, to me.

Instead, you just have a bunch of stupid fucking pussies running-and-gunning and using a sniper rifle like it's a fucking SMG. And I don't necessarily blame them. I blame the developers who not only make this possible, but often seem to encourage it.

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xdaknightx69

no , i play as a sniper in BC2 and love it , in BC2 being a sniper requires a certain amount of skill coz of the bullet drop , even more skill is required to hit a moving target , i havnt played Mw2 but i hear there is no bullet drop so dunno how that works .

if u havnt played as a recon in BC2 i would suggest u try it for a match and try to make a one shot 200-400m kill . conquest mode in heavy metal is pretty good for this coz of the high grounds and less building etc.

the one hit kill is usually a head shot, if u get hit on the body it needs 2 shots ( usually not many ppl stand still for that )

and yes i hav x's in my name on BC2 aswell lol but got into recon after i created my username and playing assult for a month lol so i think there is a type ? lol

i69edUrGpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By i69edUrGpa

@Xolare said:

Next thing you know you won't want naked cartoon pussy.

and we can't have that!

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

BC2 is a bad example. Everyone who still plays that game is way too good for their own, or anyone else's, good. I think games should make an effort to make sure that games don't just devolve into mostly sniping (like not having maps that have "sniping spots" or even worse, having the entire border of the map being sniper heaven) by the end of the game's lifespan, but no. I think snipers are fine. I enjoy being one, on occasion.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

No Caption Provided

Problem, mate?

Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Dawglet

no dummy

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

MOH really messed up snipers. That last sniper rifle you got was a on hit kill ANYWHERE. BFBC2 does an ok job because of bullet drop and head shots being on hit kills (Non Hardcore)

In BFBC2 its easy to get rid of em. RPG the build. Blow it up. Do not give them a plac to hide!

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31  Edited By Deranged

Nope, I am a terrible sniper, but the weapon adds variety to the game and in some games key to winning a match.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

The only game that has a Sniper build or class that is well placed is in Team Fortress 2. All other games handle sniper usages very poorly, which shouldn't be that difficult. Two body shots (or maybe more) or one head shot to kill. It's not hard to understand.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sniping takes quite a bit of practice and I commend those that waste their time trying to be the best sniper ever.  I sometimes try sniping and I suck at it.  the question in the title is like asking if machine guns should be removed because lots of people are good with them

RivenD3ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RivenD3ll

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG:

If you invest 90% of your play time with close up weapons (Assualt rifles, etc.) of course you're going to be terrible/lacking skill of any other given weapon specification, therefore the "Somtimes" part may be the reasoning of why you suck at it, being that you are used to close range (Or just my assumption).

And the "Machine Gun" portion of your argument makes little sense to me, being that my complaint/topic revolves around the general concept of sniping, it's advantages, disadvantages and overall pain in the ass it has to offer to the opposing side.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sniper type weapons aren't bad. It's how some people play with them. Not camping, which I think camping while sniping is fine. It's when people in games with objectives just sit back and don't actually try to help their team.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By Sooperspy

Hell Naw!

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Branthog

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

Sniping takes quite a bit of practice and I commend those that waste their time trying to be the best sniper ever. I sometimes try sniping and I suck at it. the question in the title is like asking if machine guns should be removed because lots of people are good with them

Battlefield is a less egregious example of sniper problems, though. Look at Call of Duty a a great example of bullshit sniping mechanics. Using your example, machine guns are used like machine guns. And sniper rifles are used like . . . machine guns. Guys run around at full speed no-scoping (or quick-scoping from like twenty yards) people left and right. Personally, I find that so frustrating, because I think a sniper should behave like a sniper. A sniper should be perched in a point of advantage and concerned with blending in and hiding and picking off kills from a distance. Not running around like a toddler on crack.

Here's an example of why I fucking hate "sniping" in shooters (note, it is NOT sniping when you're two feet away from the target):

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#38  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator  Online

No, snipers are fine as long as the game is balanced properly.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By BabyChooChoo

No, but some games could definitely use a serious overhaul in the sniping department.

nickb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By nickb64

No.

I think some games handle sniping poorly (CoD), but I think snipers are mostly fine in BC2. My favorite way to play BC2 sometimes is countersniping with the garand on high ticket Heavy Metal because it helps keep the snipers on their toes and helps my team get the objective by lightening up the fire against them. I also really like fast paced rush games that tend to have less snipers because they're just not as useful.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LiquidSwords

just shoot them

ProTip like a muthafucka!

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By captain_max707

In Red Orchestra 2, sniping is actually difficult, despite having a clear advantage over everyone else (except the enemy's sniper) ! This is because in Red Orchestra, you have to compensate for realistic bullet delay and drop. It's hard to learn how to shoot at ranges over 200 meters, but with practice comes a deadly soldier. There are also only 1-2 snipers allowed per team.

I think this system is perfect. Making the sniper an actually difficult class means that noobs can't compensate for their lack of skill by using a simple weapon with a clear advantage, and it's much more rewarding for those who actually learn to use it.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Simplexity

AWP 4 lyfe.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Branthog
Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Discorsi

Snipers as they are interpreted now in modern military shooters kinda, I don't know how a game developer could possibly make a sniper useful without falling into the trap of allowing quick scoping. Although fun, quick scoping is pretty stupid.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Branthog: I can definitely see how that could be frustrating. I haven't really had a problem with this but that might be because I've played an unhealthy amount of Call of Duty.

Have you played any Black Ops multiplayer? They seemed to have fixed the quickscoping problem because I never see anyone running around trying to do it.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tourgen

@RivenD3ll: What? Sniper farming in BC2 is fun! They are so dumb and oblivious. I love snapping off a knife in their skulls while they sit there like stoned toads.

Learn the maps. Learn how to get around without getting spotted in the typical sniper lanes. Walk up behind them and shank those bastards. Get his friends too.

AlexAlterisio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AlexAlterisio

For me personally, I would be happy to see one shot snipers go

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RivenD3ll said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG:

If you invest 90% of your play time with close up weapons (Assualt rifles, etc.) of course you're going to be terrible/lacking skill of any other given weapon specification, therefore the "Somtimes" part may be the reasoning of why you suck at it, being that you are used to close range (Or just my assumption).

And the "Machine Gun" portion of your argument makes little sense to me, being that my complaint/topic revolves around the general concept of sniping, it's advantages, disadvantages and overall pain in the ass it has to offer to the opposing side.

Yeah I know that.  Thats why I dont really complain about snipers because those people spend so much time with them.  And its also not like the snipers dont have their limitations.  Since you played BC2 you would know that snipers would have to aim a bit higher because the bullet drops over a long distance.  As well as this, a headshot is needed for a one hit kill unless youre playing hardcore.  Oh when I talked about machine guns I was just generalizing.  I was just saying that you could basically say "should *insert any gun here* be removed from video games" because its not like most kills are achieved with snipers.  All guns have their advantages and it would be pointless if snipers were just totally useless.  Who would want to play with them?  And Ive seen way more people that used machine guns in the top positions of the leaderboard for fps multiplayer matches
StickyW3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By StickyW3b

The Sniper class in BFBC2 and any other shooter for that matter serves a genuine purpose, its just hardly anyone knows what the purpose is or refuses to play it as such.

I'd like to focus on Battlefield particular if I could; The sniper is not really supposed to sitting all the way in the back of the map. There are times where that is what the sniper should do, however thats in rare cases of taking out other snipers or to help clear out target areas. Lets not forget that snipers can use low powered sights, shotguns and rifles both semi and fully auto. He also has C4 and motion mines which are meant for close fights. So theres no reason a sniper cant be in a supportive role slightly behind the front line picking people off and helping clear areas with the motion mines.

But alas, sadly, when people see a Ghille suit and bolt action sniper rifle all they wanna do is get long range headshots and high KD's.....giving all snipers a bad name.