#1 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

I realized there's no "own" wiki page, so I was wondering if you thought there should be one. It's become a pretty widespread phrase, you know?

#2 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

I think "pwnage" or "ownage" deserves a concept page, considering how widespread it has become

#3 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

It's a term. Go to an unabridged dictionary.

#4 Posted by Jeff (3627 posts) -

It's an encyclopedia, not a dictionary.

Do you guys think there are enough terms like those that need some sort of explanation? Maybe we could have some sort of set of definition pages or something for words like that down the line...
Staff
#5 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Hell no.

#6 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
Jeff said:
"It's an encyclopedia, not a dictionary.
Do you guys think there are enough terms like those that need some sort of explanation? Maybe we could have some sort of set of definition pages or something for words like that down the line..."
I think it's a great idea to have a page full of commonly used terms by gamers, all in one wiki.
#7 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Jeff said:
Do you guys think there are enough terms like those that need some sort of explanation? Maybe we could have some sort of set of definition pages or something for words like that down the line...
"
True that it is an encyclopedia, but you could talk about its origins enough to fill a wiki page. A list like that could be good, though, and you could include terms like "Uber" and stuff. That would probably be better than a page dedicated to it.
#8 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -
Jeff said:
"
I think a list of gamer terms/slang would be great.
#9 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Well, if we want to find out if there's enough terms like pwn and uber to comprise a healthy list, then we should probably start a thread asking people if they can come up with enough slang for it.

Someone else do it, though. I've made six or seven topics today.

#10 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

I think a Common Slang concept would be pretty cool. The subject doesn't need its own brand-new qualification though.

#11 Posted by Magnum (349 posts) -
Jeff said:
"
Yes, I would like to see pages for "fly that flag" and "five grand".
#12 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

giant bomb isn't a dictionary...

#13 Posted by Bkorns4 (129 posts) -

definitely merits a concept page.

#14 Posted by Clean (2356 posts) -

I had a teabagging concept and that didn't work out so well

#15 Edited by Tearhead (2179 posts) -

yea, and "spawn", "camp", "spam", "raid", "run" (for you GW gamers) they're alot of different phrases gamers use, and pages for those things could be awesome if done right.

#16 Posted by ObsideonDarman (652 posts) -

I hate those Words

#17 Posted by Dan (143 posts) -

Those are words that losers use, not gamers. I know the two categories have a sizable crossover, but let's not acknowledge it.

#18 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
Dan said:
"Those are words that losers use, not gamers. I know the two categories have a sizable crossover, but let's not acknowledge it."
Tons of people use all kinds of game-specific terms and slang. They aren't losers. You can go back to shoving your head up your ass and sniffing your own farts now.
#19 Posted by Christopper (102 posts) -

I tried submitting a pwnage page, it got rejected obviously.

#20 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
ObsideonDarman said:
"I hate those Words"
Same.
#21 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
Sentry said:
"ObsideonDarman said:
"I hate those Words"
Same."
OOOOOOOOOH! personally they're fine and dandy on videogame forums and in videogames but they just don't go in real life.
#22 Posted by Magnum (349 posts) -

You don't have to have those words though it could be one page under "dbag teenager gamer speak". But, I think it would be cool to have pages for different game culture things like Lutchadeer and Trivia Robot.

#23 Posted by JackiJinx (3091 posts) -
Jeff said:
"Do you guys think there are enough terms like those that need some sort of explanation? Maybe we could have some sort of set of definition pages or something for words like that down the line..."
I think it'd be a great idea to compile a video game terminology list somewhere down the line.
#24 Posted by vitriolboy (55 posts) -
Tearhead said:
"yea, and "spawn", "camp", "spam", "raid", "run" (for you GW gamers) they're alot of different phrases gamers use, and pages for those things could be awesome if done right."
Yes a gaming terminology page would fit in with the GB concept. If we can have forums about hamburgers then why not?
#25 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Jayge said:
"Dan said:
"Those are words that losers use, not gamers. I know the two categories have a sizable crossover, but let's not acknowledge it."
Tons of people use all kinds of game-specific terms and slang. They aren't losers. You can go back to shoving your head up your ass and sniffing your own farts now."
!!!!!!

OH BURNED!
#26 Edited by Dan (143 posts) -

I don't really consider that a burn. He's assuming an awful lot about me, and doesn't seem to understand that using daft internet slang is perfectly capable of qualifying a person as a loser.
Since it is such a widespread phenomenon though, I can see there being a place for one page dedicated to slang. I don't like it, but the argument can be made.

Edit: That's a fair point well made, Sentry.

#27 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
Dan said:
"I don't really consider that a burn. He's assuming an awful lot about me, and doesn't seem to understand that using daft internet slang is perfectly capable of qualifying a person as a loser."
"You can go back to shoving your head up your ass and sniffing your own farts now."

I would say that is a burn... maybe not a good burn, but a burn nonetheless.