Should we have guest scientists for Ranking the Fighters?

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MocBucket62

I understand that the point of Ranking the Fighters is to get the 2 most qualified fighting game players/scientists (Jeff and Jason) to play every fighting game in existence and rank them from first to last. However, we know that people like Brad and Dan like specific fighting games too. Do you think they should appear in an episode or 2 to provide their input and help rank specific fighting games? With Dan we're not sure as we don't know if he ever steps foot in the GB San Fransisco office again after losing to Jason in SFV, but Brad can appear. Or would they be too biased towards their favorites and should the feature just have Jeff and Jason since they hold Doctorates in Fighting Games? Maybe have other guests like Dave Lang come in if available since he is behind the science of some fighting games. Otherwise, here are some games that these duders could play in Ranking the Fighters if permitted.

Brad:

• Mortal Kombat 2: Duh, his favorite fighter.
  • Lethal League: Kind of a stretch, but I remember Brad digging this title.
  • Any Tekken: Pretty sure Brad likes Tekken on a causal level.

Dan:

• Soul Calibur: Dan's favorite fighter.
  • Simpsons Wrestling: Dan adores The Simpsons and Wrestling, but the mixture of both is so toxic it could give Warren justice and be ranked lower than Power Moves.
  • Any Mortal Kombat: Also applies to Brad.
bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Neither of the fine fellows mentioned are scientists. Allowing lay people to publish their research in a peer reviewed scientific video series would be extremely disruptive.

Please, let's leave it to the credentialed scienticians.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Additional variables can only serve to skew the current data from the experiment. Once the paper has been published the findings can be retested and verified by additional peer groups.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Science is impossible without a consistent, verifiable method. Changing the formula would necessitate the reevaluation of all earlier results, if one wants to be able to draw valid conclusions from the data.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By monkeyking1969

Of course not. The science must be controlled like proper experiment...its a controlled study. Don't mess with the science.

Switches should only happen during the sad departure of Jeff or Jason, be that leaving this mortal coil or going to a new outlet. Let Jeff and Jason have their time together and let us enjoy their synergy.

megabattimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By megabattimus

I'd flip out if they got someone like Justin Wong in for an episode, but I doubt that would ever happen.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Last thing I want is some overqualified schmo coming in with rival science.

PolyesterKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado said:

Science is impossible without a consistent, verifiable method. Changing the formula would necessitate the reevaluation of all earlier results, if one wants to be able to draw valid conclusions from the data.

Exactly this. Normally I'd be all for some guest researchers to join in especially if they have a history with the subject. But this is cold hard science and changing the science guys now would, to be scientific about it, "fuck the whole thing."

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are we, savages? This is science.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mirado said:

Exactly this. Normally I'd be all for some guest researchers to join in especially if they have a history with the subject. But this is cold hard science and changing the science guys now would, to be scientific about it, "fuck the whole thing."

Absolutely. The experiment must remain clean. Now there is nothing to stop a separate experiment from taking place. Same data would have to be entered. And the conclusions could then be compared. Did you vet these considered "scientists"? Would you consider their data at the same value as the current scientists? If not you must develop an equation that properly weights the data.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mocbucket62: I think you're having trouble appreciating what they're trying to do. 100% no.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@hunkulese: Yeah, I guess the more I'm thinking about it, the more I realize that this whole science experiment will be ruined if anyone else joins in to rank the fighters. It would at least make for some good entertainment to see Brad mark out over Mortal Kombat 2 again, but that can be for another video. Let Fighting Professors Jeff and Jason continue their experiment on their own.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: Yeah, I guess the more I'm thinking about it, the more I realize that this whole science experiment will be ruined if anyone else joins in to rank the fighters. It would at least make for some good entertainment to see Brad mark out over Mortal Kombat 2 again, but that can be for another video. Let Fighting Professors Jeff and Jason continue their experiment on their own.

In addition to the fighterology research institute this site does have some entertainment programing. Nothing is preventing them from doing an Old Games Show, Encyclopedia Bombastica, or Unprofessional Fridays episode with MK II.

There are plenty of outlets for that coverage without compromising any research, just like astrology can exist alongside astronomy.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd super appreciate if they occasionally got some tenured FGC figures like Jared Rea as an outside observer to come on and discuss the voting process. If/when they get to Capcom titles like Rival Schools they should try to get ex-alumni like Seth Killian on.

You know, a certain Pro Talk Show is filmed from the Twitch Offices...

But while I would love to see Miguel Rossington, PhD, Esquire, on the show, the show itself only works because Dr Jeff and Dr Jason are the only ones who can treat the games with the proper respect and scientific rigour they deserve.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

I've been wanting to see a Giant Bomb X Cross Counter crossover for ages.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Nope. Keep the science pure!

I would love to see Gooteks and Mike Ross come in and do a training camp with Jason and Jeff though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

No it'll effect the precise science.

Experiments should always be repeated using the same method.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Glad to see that I wasn't needed here.

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanj said:

I've been wanting to see a Giant Bomb X Cross Counter crossover for ages.

This would be the best thing to happen. The realest of guest scientists joining in.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nah. Also, I think you actually don't get what Rankig of Fighters is.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd super appreciate if they occasionally got some tenured FGC figures like Jared Rea as an outside observer to come on and discuss the voting process. If/when they get to Capcom titles like Rival Schools they should try to get ex-alumni like Seth Killian on.

I think that would be cool. If people are really so bothered about the "science", they could perhaps do some special episodes or a separate feature. I always like to see more good fighting game content.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hassun

The science is supreme and allows for no subjectivity whatsoever!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They could get a Jack Russell terrier to do the ranking, and it wouldn't matter. The day that Tattoo Assassins wasn't ranked "All-time A+ #1 Vidja Of All Ever Times W W W 100 Years Tattoo Assassins Dot Com 100 Times Forever And Ever", the entire experiment was tainted.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@polyesterkyle said:

@mirado said:

I agree. I mean, how can we trust the data behind this research if some of the scientists didn't experience some elements in the ranking? Without them being present during the Ranma and Power Moves instances, how can they decide the position of new instances?

I would normally be all in favor of including guests in features, if only because it allows the crew to create more content, more regularly. However, this is not some mere content. This is science.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if they're experts in their field!

Hamborgini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't have science without peer review of your findings!

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By btrdeadthanred

Nah, I'm good with Jeff and Jason

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

brad is a wizard and about as far from a qualificated scientician as you can get!

NO DARK BESPOKE ARTS IN MY RANKING OF FIGHTERS!!!!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Sounds like the opposite of science to me