Silent Hill is too scary

cuhcoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cuhcoast

when i first played silent hill it was the 4th game , i played the demo and i was scared to death. i couldn't play anymore , i can't even watch any silent hill game in the dark or sleep . idk those kind of games i can't handle it because in the back of mind i think im gonna end up like them trapped in a place like silent hill in real life. has this happen to you ?

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By VierasTalo

@cuhcoast said:

i can't even watch any silent hill game in the dark or sleep .

Man, it'd be real screwed up if you could watch a Silent Hill game in your sleep.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Sackmanjones

You should play amnesia.

Skip2TheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Skip2TheEnd

And that was with The Room, I'd hate to see you with the rest of the games then.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Akeldama

@Skip2TheEnd: I thought The Room was plenty scary. Why does everyone think so lowly of Silent Hill 4?

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NegativeCero

Maybe try a less scary game like Dead Space and go from there? Assuming you actually want to start playing horror games. And no, that hasn't happened to me. Although when I was younger Horror movies really freaked me out and I would actively avoid them. I guess if I played games back then they would do the same.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vikingdeath1

I have been too scared to play/ in love with the Silent Hill games for a few years now, and have therefore Watched the entirety of Every single SH game via youtube. only one I think I could play would be Downpour, because it isn't really scary (cept for deadspace-like jumpscares, but those I can handle)

only advice i have for you is to start off trying to play a Slightly scary game and work your way up. for me it was Bioshock, then Deadspace, Condemned, RE5, Fear, Amnesia (that one i gave up on, i'm not ready)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By TobbRobb

You should play Amnesia.

Seriously though, I never found Silent hill especially scary. Although 2 had some good atmosphere, so it was still enjoyable.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SexyToad

I have never played through a "scary" game. I just don't like them. I did like Haunted grounds though.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NegativeCero

@vikingdeath1: I should replay Bioshock because I don't remember it being scary, maybe I'm misremembering. But I guess it could've been because someone I knew who played it around the time it came out also said it was scary.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

@NegativeCero said:

@vikingdeath1: I should replay Bioshock because I don't remember it being scary, maybe I'm misremembering. But I guess it could've been because someone I knew who played it around the time it came out also said it was scary.

The last time I played Bioshock, it wasn't scary, it's more I'd say atmospheric tension like RE 4.

Skip2TheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Skip2TheEnd

@Akeldama said:

@Skip2TheEnd: I thought The Room was plenty scary. Why does everyone think so lowly of Silent Hill 4?

It was quite scary Ive got to admit but I think the constant returning to the room just ruined the experience for me, I just prefer 2 and 3 as they are constantly trying to mess with you rather than letting you take a breather for 5 - 10 minutes.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ajamafalous
@Akeldama said:

@Skip2TheEnd: I thought The Room was plenty scary.

Me too. Did you see when that guy pulled a gun on Denny?
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By nintendoeats

I'd say less scary, more unendingly unnerving.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By audiosnow

@NegativeCero

I distinctly remember two bits of BioShock that scared me. One was when all the lights went out the minute you picked up the shotgun.

The other was during the Sander Cohen area when his spider splicers are swarming toward you on the ceiling while Tchaikovsky's "Waltz of the Flowers" plays.

Overall, I wouldn't call it a scary game, but there are a few specific instances that put me on edge.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Jeust

@Skip2TheEnd said:

@Akeldama said:

It was quite scary Ive got to admit but I think the constant returning to the room just ruined the experience for me, I just prefer 2 and 3 as they are constantly trying to mess with you rather than letting you take a breather for 5 - 10 minutes.

That is until later on when the room isn't safe anymore. ahah

For me Silent Hill 4 has some of the scariest monsters in any game. Those zombies scaried me shitless, and so did the zombie lady.

Skip2TheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Skip2TheEnd

@Jeust said:

For me Silent Hill 4 has some of the scariest monsters in any game. Those zombies scaried me shitless, and so did the zombie lady.

Yeah when the hauntings start and the room stops healing you, yeah the first time i did start to panic but by then its about 3 hours into the game and i lost slight interest.

And compared to the newer games the enemy design in 4 is awesome.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By notdavid

Silent Hill 4 was fine, but the trailer was legendary. When I saw this fucker in high school, it changed the way I viewed horror. It's beautiful and completely fucked at the same time.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By supamon

Silent Hill is like the only horror game besides the Resident Evils that I have the balls to play through. SH games aren't scary to me, they're more of disturbing and eerie and a overwhelming sense of dread.

Btw, have you seen the head drop? =)

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ghost_cat

@notdavid: Oh man, now I remember why I was so hyped for Silent Hill 4. That was a very excellent trailer that I think many people have forgotten about. I also remember the first time steping into the bathroom when it had the large hole in the wall, which kept producing very errie sounds of a girl weeping and whispering in reverse. Underrated game indeed.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By RandomHero666

Try some Penumbra.

Way better than Amnesia imo. And scary dogs!

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Sackmanjones
You should play amnesia.
That sounds like suicide in this case. Don't do it, OP.
ImaTreee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ImaTreee

@ajamafalous said:

@Akeldama said:

@Skip2TheEnd: I thought The Room was plenty scary.

Me too. Did you see when that guy pulled a gun on Denny?

HAHA that's what i thought of when i saw The Room

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Akeldama

@Skip2TheEnd said:

@Jeust said:

Yeah when the hauntings start and the room stops healing you, yeah the first time i did start to panic but by then its about 3 hours into the game and i lost slight interest.

This is great and all, but it doesn't really answer my question. Even among the die-hard fans of the series, this game gets routinely shat on for no reason. I have and probably never will understand it.

BoringK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#25  Edited By BoringK

I'm actually in the middle of playing SH4 for the first time, and so far it isn't nearly as scary as the previous games. Hell, it's not even as scary as Shattered Memories. Admittedly, I'm not that far in, but so far the enemy design isn't that interesting, the level design is boring (the "water prison" was a little better, though) and there's not a lot of challenge. I'm mostly just running around monsters or killing them with the pipe. It almost feels like they tried to focus less on combat and more on atmosphere and exploration, but didn't really deliver.

Amnesia's great. I was planning on getting through at least the first Penumbra this month as well, but I don't know if I'll have time.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Jeust
@Akeldama said:

@Skip2TheEnd said:

@Jeust said:

This is great and all, but it doesn't really answer my question. Even among the die-hard fans of the series, this game gets routinely shat on for no reason. I have and probably never will understand it.

I think the main reason is because the game is really a disjointed experience. There isn't really a coherent explanation until much later on, so unlike the previous games, it is hard to empathize with the plot. And from what I remember the game doesn't give enough time of one setting to really immerse you in it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

What's the scary part, the gameplay? Set it on easy.

I actually played most of those games on easy since survival horror's traditionally clunky gameplay doesn't frighten me, it only makes me stressed and angry. Anger is my immediate reaction to stress. It would probably help me in an actual combat scenario.

The thing is whenever anything truly spooky happens in Silent Hill (the ghostly footprints in 3, for instance, or the mirror scene), I don't react with "OH GOD MAKE IT STOP" I react with "Oh, that's AWESOME!" I appreciate good spooky shit almost too much for it to be as spine tingling as it should.

Amnesia is basically too much, though. The need to manage meters (sanity and lamp oil) that are constantly burning against each other is not scary, it's just stressful. I might as well go back to work to given impossible scenarios where I have to please two masters simultaneously.

1337noobzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 1337noobzor

@Sackmanjones said:

You should play amnesia.

not scary

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By stryker1121

@NegativeCero said:

I wouldn't say it's scary, but it has a very eerie atmosphere and some intense moments (turn off those VitaChambers, people!) I've been playing Amnesia off and on over last few months. As good as it is the atmosphere/lack of player agency freaks me out. I play it in the dark w/ headphones and last 30 minutes at a time tops.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By Sackmanjones
@1337noobzor well youre a tough mother fucker aren't you.
RAMBO604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RAMBO604

SH2 for some reason didn't get to me but too this day I'm really on edge playing 3. I don't know why but just the world of that game bugs me out.

mangopup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mangopup

Silent Hill 4 was decent, but compared to the previous 3 games it just wasn't as good. Matter of fact, SH4 had one of the most laugh out loud moments I've ever had in a video game:

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rolanthas
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Akeldama

@Jeust said:

@Akeldama said:

@Skip2TheEnd said:

@Jeust said:

I think the main reason is because the game is really a disjointed experience. There isn't really a coherent explanation until much later on, so unlike the previous games, it is hard to empathize with the plot. And from what I remember the game doesn't give enough time of one setting to really immerse you in it.

I would say the water prison in particular is one of the most terrifying and immersive worlds in any Silent Hill game.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't think I'm a brave person, but beyond jump scares I've not found most horror games that scary. Even the ones that have scared me, I can't recall ever being so effective I found it hard to sleep or anything like that.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#36  Edited By sammo21

HAS U BEEN SCARED?

I thought SH2 and SH3 were pretty tense but they were good with dread and foreboding too opposed to OH SHIT MONSTER! That's all the new games have turned into, in my opinion.

camp7203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By camp7203

Loved 1, 2, and 3. Shattered Memories on the Wii is also very good. Scary as all hell.