• 64 results
#51 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

@soldierg654342: Ohhh yeah, I remember that some of the puzzles in the original were pretty tricky... That Piano one in particular, along with the one nearing the very end with that weird keypad.

#52 Edited by Sisyphean (73 posts) -

@yummylee said:

@soldierg654342 said:

@sisyphean said:

@falserelic said:

@sisyphean said:

I loved the Resident Evil games, but I never got a chance to play any Silent Hill games. Do the Silent Hill games have the puzzle and item hunting aspects of Resident Evil?

It does more so then Resident Evil, but be warn the puzzles in Silent Hill can be confusing at times. There are puzzles in Silent Hill that will leave you lost. I recommend putting the puzzle difficulty to easy. If you don't want to be annoyed as much...

You mean in the sense that they're not well constructed, or simply difficult?

That depends on how you classify needing to know several Shakespeare plays to solve a riddle.

I assume you're referring to that puzzle with the books in SH3? I wanna say it only asks of any Shakespearean knowledge on the Hard mode setting.

That's the one. True, it only requires that outside knowledge on Hard, but all of the riddles on hard riddle difficulty are ridiculous. Everyone talks about the Shakespeare riddle because it's right at the beginning, but I'd wager the one in the hospital is way harder. On normal they are totally manageable.

The piano riddle in Silent Hill 1 held my game up for days before I caved and went to a walkthough.

Chriiiist. I really dislike the "you need to have knowledge of a really specific outside reference to figure this out" type of puzzle. It might as well be a trivia questionnaire at that point. Are they all like that?

#53 Edited by mason20 (241 posts) -

It really depends on what you are looking after. The Resident Evil series has a great b-movie feel but Silent Hill can still creep people out with it's atmosphere.

RE 1-3 may feel dated but can easily be finished in a sitting or two (per game) and by today aren't not as hard or scary as they were when released. 2 has a decent story and 3 being the easiest of the bunch as you can craft ammo.

Silent Hill 1 has far better combat as it was released after RE2 and made combat far more accessible. The pipe for it's length and the ability to strafe makes combat much more enjoyable. Silent Hill 2 as great a game as popular belief would have you believe i would have to argue that the often overlooked Silent Hill 3 is far better. I would highly suggest playing Silent Hill 1 and then 3 for a full and satisfying story as 2 (as good of a story as it has) than 4 as they tie together a bit clumsier.

It really comes down to what you feel more into. Resident Evil for a evil corporation who just wants to be evil and has it defining and great moments vs. Silent Hill and a secret cult who has their own agenda.

Off topic slightly but the best of both Series would have to be Resident Evil Code Veronica which was suppose to be RE3 and I feel is the best Resident Evil game in the entire series hands down. Silent Hill 3 has the best story and some very creepy and to this day looks great and hardly dated. RE has worse combat and more Hollywood set pieces vs. SH's better combat and isolating atmosphere.

edit: Sorry I read the title as RE 1-3 or Sh 1-3.. Not as SH 1 or RE 1-3. Still SH 1 is a great game and one of the few that terrified me when it came out.

#54 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1821 posts) -

@sisyphean said:

Chriiiist. I really dislike the "you need to have knowledge of a really specific outside reference to figure this out" type of puzzle. It might as well be a trivia questionnaire at that point. Are they all like that?

No, it's actually just one puzzle in Silent Hill 3 on the hardest riddle difficulty. The rest of the puzzles in the series, even on the hardest setting, can be logic-ed out on their own.

#55 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@soldierg654342 said:

@yummylee said:

@soldierg654342 said:

@sisyphean said:

@falserelic said:

@sisyphean said:

I loved the Resident Evil games, but I never got a chance to play any Silent Hill games. Do the Silent Hill games have the puzzle and item hunting aspects of Resident Evil?

It does more so then Resident Evil, but be warn the puzzles in Silent Hill can be confusing at times. There are puzzles in Silent Hill that will leave you lost. I recommend putting the puzzle difficulty to easy. If you don't want to be annoyed as much...

You mean in the sense that they're not well constructed, or simply difficult?

That depends on how you classify needing to know several Shakespeare plays to solve a riddle.

I assume you're referring to that puzzle with the books in SH3? I wanna say it only asks of any Shakespearean knowledge on the Hard mode setting.

That's the one. True, it only requires that outside knowledge on Hard, but all of the riddles on hard riddle difficulty are ridiculous. Everyone talks about the Shakespeare riddle because it's right at the beginning, but I'd wager the one in the hospital is way harder. On normal they are totally manageable.

The piano riddle in Silent Hill 1 held my game up for days before I caved and went to a walkthough.

Like the other users have stated SH puzzles requires more thinking power. Some puzzles the way they're design can throw you off abit. For most part though the puzzles shouldn't be to much of a problem, unless you put it to a high difficulty...

#56 Posted by Fattony12000 (7565 posts) -
#57 Posted by Humanity (10086 posts) -

Silent hill 2 is by far much better then then Downpour and Homecoming.

In terms of story, then yes.

#58 Edited by PSNgamesun (414 posts) -

RE2 for sure holds up with it's cheesy dialogue and fun characters. It's moody and you would have to get use to the controls but its real easy.

Also SH2 has awful controls but the story still holds up, very edgy.

#59 Edited by Sisyphean (73 posts) -

@falserelic: That's cool. I'm happy with difficult puzzles as long as they can be solved with their internal logic. I just don't want to play Jeopardy.

#60 Edited by XpressTuning (14 posts) -

Also SH2 has awful controls but the story still holds up, very edgy.

Sorry for the bump, but i've seen this mentioned quite the number of times, so i can't help myself.

People do realize that there's an option in the menu that allows you to play with non-tank controls, right? I mean, the tank controls do suck... that's why everyone changes the control options as soon as the game starts.

I can't even imagine playing this masterpiece of a game with tank controls, lol.

#61 Posted by DeadPan (346 posts) -

Resident Evil 2 is still amazing

#62 Posted by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

Tank controls 4 life!

#63 Edited by LackingSaint (1856 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

@falserelic said:

@onekillwonder_ said:

For someone who's never played them, I can't really say. If you're truly interested in them and can put up with awkward controls and other caveats, then sure. I love the old SH and RE games, and for me, they still hold up because I'm used to those controls. I can go back and play them any time without much trouble.

On a side note, why are there not any indie developers out there making old-school survival horror games?

(In my opinion)

Some developers might be afraid to take risks. Considering nowadays Survival-Horror games isn't to popular on the gaming market. Unless it's a Survival-Horror game that's unique or well made, and there's not to many of them.

Sadly its a fine line between a game which limits your power and makes a game unfair. Check this set of videos

Ignore the cover images. Plague of gripes is a strange man.

These videos seem really cool, but man what is that accent? The best I can come with is "Drunk in 1950s New York".

Also Silent Hill 2 is probably one of the best games ever made in terms of atmosphere, story and pacing.

#64 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6146 posts) -

The Resident Evil remake for the Gamecube holds up great.