This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

http://m.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/21-year-old-shoots-himself-in-the-head-while-handcuffed/555879/?page=3

Usually don't post topics like this, but shit mods, since when has something that is making a discussion a lockable offense simply because it involved something violent. If you simply said "this is spam, since you didn't really post anything other than the article." fine, it was a lockable offense in that regard. But saying we can't talk about it simply because a guy shot himself (allegedly.)

This is a legit question, I'm not trying to be "that guy" complaining about mods for locking things. But seriously? Locked for that reason? Are we not mature enough to handle real world violence here anymore?

#2 Posted by JustKamToo (682 posts) -

CBS said so

#3 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

S'a fair question I guess.

The rules have always stated that overtly macabre topics are not permitted. In this instance, nobody is calling into question the communities ability to handle such discussions with maturity, but the point is that this is not what the forums are for.

Simply put; if you want to discuss people committing suicide by shooting themselves in the head then I'm sure there are other websites better suited for doing so.

You might have to turn safesearch off in order to find them, though...

Moderator
#4 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

I'm not sure how I feel about the "no talking about people being shot in the head. Unless in a videogame! Ha!" reasoning used to close that out.

Weird topic to chat about anyways, but the thread itself didn't seem as bad as others I've seen on here.

#5 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

It's the rules.

"NO material of a pornographic, overtly sexual or macabre nature"

#6 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -
#7 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the "no talking about people being shot in the head. Unless in a videogame! Ha!" reasoning used to close that out.

Weird topic to chat about anyways, but the thread itself didn't seem as bad as others I've seen on here.

That's just my stupid sense of humour. Don't panic.

Moderator
#8 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

@Marz said:

yeah it's kind of sketchy.... there's threads with multiple pages that aren't locked like this one below.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/man-stabs-self-and-throws-his-intestines-at-the-police/548902/?page=5

then that one where the dude eats the other dudes face.... i remember that one being a pretty long thread, don't know if it was locked.

Any inconsistency in moderations like that are probably due to people not flagging stuff. Contrary to popular belief, we don't have a collective spidey-sense that goes off whenever somebody breaks the rules.

Moderator
#9 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I don't know if merely reporting a suicide really fits the bill as 'overtly macabre'.

#10 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@Sweep: Ha no worries! As I said, just not really sure it got the dum-dum-tish. But I've told far worse jokes. I also just wrote out "dum-dum-tish" so I'm making all kinds of bad decisions, really.

#11 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@SexyToad
It's the rules.

"NO material of a pornographic, overtly sexual or macabre nature"

This topic and many others should be locked too then.

http://m.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/shooting-at-dark-knight-rises-premiere-in-colorado/554627/?page=24
#12 Posted by Brodehouse (9878 posts) -

I kind of have to agree. I understand the mods would rather have all the discussions be harmonious chats about the Halo, but closing a topic about a news item because it could cause a fight is too far.

The 'macabre' stuff is pretty clearly a thin excuse. Under those circumstances the Batman shooting is verboten.

#13 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Sweep

@Marz said:

yeah it's kind of sketchy.... there's threads with multiple pages that aren't locked like this one below.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/man-stabs-self-and-throws-his-intestines-at-the-police/548902/?page=5

then that one where the dude eats the other dudes face.... i remember that one being a pretty long thread, don't know if it was locked.

Any inconsistency in moderations like that are probably due to people not flagging stuff. Contrary to popular belief, we don't have a collective spidey-sense that goes off whenever somebody breaks the rules.

I hardly think that this specific thing I'm talking about is due to not flagging. Mods have posted in other threads that could easily be taken as "macabre", but this is the only time I've ever seen a topic locked for that reason in all my years here.
#14 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

@buzz_killington: The thread was largely a discussion about if it would be possible for a person to shoot themselves in the head while handcuffed. That's "overt" enough for me.

Are you guys seriously upset about this? You are complaining about a fairly horrific suicide-thread being locked on a videogame website. I mean.... what?

Moderator
#15 Posted by CaLe (3959 posts) -

I only had a quick look at that thread but the discussion seemed to be mainly focused on how dubious the whole thing was. It wasn't focusing on the fact that the guy killed himself.

#16 Posted by NTM (7343 posts) -

This thread is kind of funny, 'cause now it's like "Hey, I found this for the moderators to lock! This means business."

#17 Posted by Brendan (7771 posts) -

We're on a website where we talk about Spec Ops: The Line and ManHunt. I don't really care that much, but this is silly.

#18 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Sweep

@buzz_killington: The thread was largely a discussion about if it would be possible for a person to shoot themselves in the head while handcuffed. That's "overt" enough for me.

Are you guys seriously upset about this? You are complaining about a fairly horrific suicide-thread being locked on a videogame website. I mean.... what?

It was mainly about how suspicious the whole situation is, not the death itself.
#19 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

thought it was about possible sketchy police actions.

to my knowledge no one was commenting on the graphic nature of the injury.

moderation is wanky though, so many shit threads some get locked for being useless, others continue on indefinitely.

#20 Posted by Brodehouse (9878 posts) -
@Sweep Because it's a discussion on the plausibility of the officer's alibi in a news item. It's no more macabre than a hypothetical situation where a man with a bat fights a man with a knife. You know as well as anyone it isn't about reveling in gore.
#21 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

In situations like this, I think it pretty much comes down to a judgement call on how grisly the story or the conversation is. The mods are selected because Giant Bomb trusts their judgement. There isn't a set line where they say "THIS" is when it's too macabre, sexual, etc. The mods have to trust their own instincts, and that's what did in this case.

It'd be ridiculous to have guidelines that specific; it'd be like what the MPAA does for movies. A perfectly wholesome movie could get an R rating because they say "fuck" 3 times, but a bloody action movie is fine as long as there's no nudity or swearing. They can show 1/3 of an ass, but no more. Rules like that are inane. You have to view something as a whole and make a judgement call based on the context.

I think it's fair to debate the veracity of the mod's call, but in a case like this, it really is just up to them. I'm all for discussing the topic of whether this is an appropriate thread for the forums though.

#22 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

VIDEO GAMESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (14770 posts) -

I mean people weren't going into gruesome detail the discussion was mostly about the logistics of him being able to shoot himself and the fact that the cops are dirty bastards. Also the fact we can apparently have the same discussion about video games is kind of baffling really. I mean, I really do get most of the rules and have no problem with them Youtube spam, no porn... no WAREZ or spam topics... etc... I dunno. I think it was a bad call in my opinion but whatever.

#24 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

In situations like this, I think it pretty much comes down to a judgement call on how grisly the story or the conversation is. The mods are selected because Giant Bomb trusts their judgement. There isn't a set line where they say "THIS" is when it's too macabre, sexual, etc. The mods have to trust their own instincts, and that's what did in this case.

It'd be ridiculous to have guidelines that specific; it'd be like what the MPAA does for movies. A perfectly wholesome movie could get an R rating because they say "fuck" 3 times, but a bloody action movie is fine as long as there's no nudity or swearing. They can show 1/3 of an ass, but no more. Rules like that are inane. You have to view something as a whole and make a judgement call based on the context.

I think it's fair to debate the veracity of the mod's call, but in a case like this, it really is just up to them. I'm all for discussing the topic of whether this is an appropriate thread for the forums though.

Take your damn logic and rationality and leave, your kind have no place on the Internet.

For the record, I'm fine with Sweep locking the thread, there are probably better places to discuss a topic like that anyway.

#25 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

You know, we aren't really supposed to discuss moderations publicly. I try to whenever possible, because I think it's only fair that I should explain the logic behind my decisions. Which is why I'm the only mod who puts up with these threads that crop up every so often. I guess it's my own fault, though, for not articulating why these threads were locked in the first place.

I shouldn't have to explain, however, why the topic regarding the Dark Knight was left open and this thread wasn't. Batman is a pop-culture icon that has featured frequently both in videogames and on this site. Beyond that, the shootings were socially relevant on a scale that justified the discussion.

The thread I locked today concerned a (admittedly dubious) suicide where a man allegedly shot himself in the face. Dubiousness aside, if you think that's the sort of discussion that belongs here, or that we want to encourage, then you are wrong.

It broke the rules. End of discussion.

Moderator