#1 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2157 posts) -

I am currently in the process of spending all my gift cards but have come across a road block with my amazon gift card and can't decide between these two. Basically, what do you guys think I should buy?

Some info to help you guys:

Currently in my cart: 
Darksiders 
Tron Legacy Soundtrack 
Scott Pilgrim vs the World Blu-Ray 

Length isn't really an issue as long as its fun and has at least some replayability 

Chaos Theory is one of my favorite games and I enjoyed Double Agent but was ultimately disappointed with it. 

I loved the atmosphere of Bioshock but only played about an hour before putting it down for good but, that probably has more to do with me already knowing the story and buying ME 2 DLC, than the actual gameplay.

#2 Posted by Mesklinite (805 posts) -

Conviction!

#3 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Singularity.  It is a fun FPS and uses " Time" in a fun way. 

#4 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (686 posts) -

Conviction sounds like it's more for you.

#5 Posted by ascholzk (261 posts) -

i've played both, and i enjoyed Singularity more than Conviction, but that's just because i'm not really into stealth games. Singularity has a fantastic atmosphere and a good, albeit ridiculous story

#6 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Conviction is great because of it's animations and when you're playing it you feel like a total badass constantly.

#7 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -
@GaLaXypwn3r:   I've got both but haven't played Singularity yet.  I played Conviction on normal first timed and played stealthily and it's the easiest SC game ever squared.  The second time on Realistic with the combat shotgun and you can almost play it like Gears of War.  And amount of gadgets you get is crazy.  It does fun it up but it's not the Splinter Cell game your grandad played.

Aside (not trying to derail) How long is Singularity because I'm going to a freind's for 2 or 3 days and want to know if we could finish it in that time.  His girlfriend will be around now and again so we'll have to watch some bitch-fodder on the telly now and again.
#8 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -

I, personally, enjoyed Singularity more. I don't know if it's particularly replayable (I end up replaying most games eventually, though I haven't gotten back to it yet), but I recall it being a good 10-15 hours for me. Really awesome atmosphere, cool gameplay mechanics and a pretty fun story.

As someone that also really enjoyed Chaos Theory, I found Conviction to be a pretty fun action game. Maybe not a really cool Splinter Cell game, but enjoyable. A lot of people say that it wasn't a Splinter Cell game, which....they're honestly not wrong on that point, but I don't really hold stealth games or any of the old Splinter Cell games on some kind of pedestal, where they can't or shouldn't be touched. I really just found Chaos Theory fun, and I also found Conviction pretty fun. I'd label the game as pretty okay, all things considered. It really depends on why you enjoyed Chaos Theory or any of the old games.

Overall though, I'd recommend Singularity over Conviction. 

#9 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

I would choose conviction, but I have a heavy bias because I loved every Splinter Cell game.  :)

#10 Posted by ascholzk (261 posts) -
@WickedFather: i finished it in about 9 or so hours. yeah i'm a huge Bioshock fan and it definitely borrows elements from that game. yeah Conviction is much different from its predecessors; much easier
#11 Posted by ascholzk (261 posts) -
#12 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

I didn't play Singularity but Conviction was pretty good. And you can pick it up dirt cheap too.

#13 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Get both! They're both good, and I think both have dropped in price dramatically. Well worth it.

#14 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2157 posts) -
@General_D23: Sneaking around and trying to get by/knocking out all the gaurds without being spotted in the hopes of getting 100% is what really made that game amazing to me.  

Speaking of mission percentage, does Conviction have anything like that? Also, hows the Co-op? 

@GaLaXypwn3r: Hmm...that might just make me buy both of them.
#15 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -
@Manhattan_Project said:
" @General_D23: Sneaking around and trying to get by/knocking out all the gaurds without being spotted in the hopes of getting 100% is what really made that game amazing to me.  
 "
Okay. There are significantly more moments where that is straight up impossible. You will be into shootouts for a good bit of the game, particularly the end.

Mission percentages: not that I remember.
Co-Op: Honestly couldn't tell you, but probably pretty fun.
#16 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2157 posts) -
@General_D23: Damn. That makes me significantly less excited for it. 

Anyways, thanks to everyone for all the help. I think I'm gonna end up buying both but still, I appreciate it.
#17 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

You won't be disappointed with either one. Both are great games!

#18 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" Conviction is great because of it's animations and when you're playing it you feel like a total badass constantly. "
If this is what your in to, then I would recommend The Bourne Conspiracy. Awesome fighting all throughout that game and its probably really cheap right now. 
#19 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

I enjoyed Singularity a lot more than I should have.

#20 Edited by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@MistaSparkle said:

" @TheMustacheHero said:

" Conviction is great because of it's animations and when you're playing it you feel like a total badass constantly. "
If this is what your in to, then I would recommend The Bourne Conspiracy. Awesome fighting all throughout that game and its probably really cheap right now.  "
No. I wouldn't recommend that at all because that game is total shit. If I wanted to play QTE combat I'd rather pop in god of war.
#21 Posted by Maclintok (177 posts) -

You've probably already gone and bought your game already but I'll put in my vote for Singularity.  The guys at Raven do good work and this game was a travesty of poor marketing. 

Conviction is OK but it is a travesty of what a Splinter Cell game should be about.  Not a bad game but definitely should have been a Splinter Cell spin-off instead of a core game in the Sam Fisher-centered series.

#22 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -
@mesklinite said:
" Conviction! "
The main game is a little short if I am honest, the co-op is brilliant fun though.
#23 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Thing is, people went into one with high expectations and the other with none. Otherwise I couldn't imagine anyone preferring Singularity.