Site needs more video categories

Anthony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Anthony

I think it would be helpful if there were more categories. Separate the Jar Talk, TNT, Load Our Last Save, Random PC Game into their own categories. Right now it's a pain to navigate the video section when they are all dumped together. It's also hard to find a specific video because the description doesn't, er, describe enough about the video. I tried to find an old TNT where they played the Ticket to Ride board game but there was no way to search for it. I had to just use Google. Google Search shouldn't be more helpful in finding things on a site than its native search feature.

Finally, it would be nice if the site linked to the archived videos on Justin.tv (and labelled correctly) since many newer users won't have any idea they exist. There are hours and hours of pure gold archived there that aren't on the main Giantbomb website.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By coakroach

It would be great if that Justin.tv stuff was more accessible

Anthony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Anthony

@coakroach said:

It would be great if that Justin.tv stuff was more accessible

They might want some way to benefit from the ads on the Justin site but I don't think they currently do.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deathstriker666

Yeah, I agree. Video categories are one of the few things that hasn't changed over the years on Giantbomb. Though when ever I want to find a video, I always use the search rather than have to dig through the categories. It seems like they post almost every video under "features" and now that category has hundreds of videos in it.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Masha2932

I agree. The site should sort through their content better. I think they should also have categories for the bombcasts based on year.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By B0nd07

@Anthony said:

I tried to find an old TNT where they played the Ticket to Ride board game but there was no way to search for it. I had to just use Google. Google Search shouldn't be more helpful in finding things on a site than its native search feature.

You wouldn't have been able to find it anyway, because that was part of the Civ V TNT, which was before they started archiving them here. All the old TNTs (through Portal 2) can be found here in the now defunct community run TNT archive.

The problem isn't so much that they're all lumped together, but that they list the TNTs as "Thursday Night Throwdown: <date>", which is useless if you are searching for a TNT by the game title. So unless you know the date of a particular TNT, you won't find it unless you do some digging. The rest of the premium stuff have unique enough names to make them pretty easy to search for.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By strainedeyes

I agree. The ERs should be seperated too, it's a pain trying to get to an episode of the P4 one and having to go back 9-10 pages to find it.

I also agree that TNTs should be better labeled. The titles only have the date it took place, and sometimes the description doesn't even say the game(s).

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Dany

No. I like that I can subscribe to 'Subscriber' in iTunes and everything premium falls in there. I don't need anymore granularity than there is IMO. The way tested.com is for categories is just annoying.

The labeling of TNT's should be better or change but besides that, I wish there was a 'catch all' for all original videos.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By kalmis

Yeah agree. Would help if stuff like QL's would be categorized yearly like some of the 09 stuff was done.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FunExplosions

@Masha2932 said:

I agree. The site should sort through their content better. I think they should also have categories for the bombcasts based on year.

insidergamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By insidergamer

@Geo7877 said:

I agree. The ERs should be seperated too, it's a pain trying to get to an episode of the P4 one and having to go back 9-10 pages to find it.

I also agree that TNTs should be better labeled. The titles only have the date it took place, and sometimes the description doesn't even say the game(s).

Absolutely. Posting to bump THIS and all other suggestions up. Videos are what make GiantBomb very appealing to many (as well as convince them to subscribe -- ex. me). Better organization of these key assets can only help.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Dany said:

No. I like that I can subscribe to 'Subscriber' in iTunes and everything premium falls in there.

We're talking about the site, not iTunes. One shouldn't affect the other.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dany
@JoeyRavn The rss feeds are based on the categories
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Brendan

Sub Categories would be nice. Going into the ER category and seeing three big pictures of game art saying : P4 ER, DP ER, CT ER, would be great.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lebkin

I'd only make one simple change: the Latest category should be only Giantbomb original content, and it should so everything (premium and standard). I hate that all the trailers and dev videos clutter that section to the point of not being useful.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deathstriker666

@Dany said:

@JoeyRavn The rss feeds are based on the categories

People still look through RSS feeds? What is this 2002? Anything new on Giantbomb is (should be) posted on the front page. I have no problem sorting through new content, but trying to watch all the mailbags from 2 years ago is a pain in the ass.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dany
@deathstriker666 ITunes podcast is based on rss feeds. Having a rss feed of heir video content allows it to download automatically meaning I can watch it on my tv
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Kazona

The basic idea is good, but don't forget that if you keep splitting your categories (or creating sub-categories), you'll eventually end up with so many categories that it'll still be cluttered and hard to browse.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By imsh_pl

Sub categories would be extremely useful, especially for the premium content and the endurance run. I also feel like the bombcast archives should be organized better.

iPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iPliskin

Agree, it's a chore to navigate the video section.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cookiemonster

I concur.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By topsteer

@imsh_pl said:

I also feel like the bombcast archives should be organized better.

Yeah I can't believe there's only five per page, especially considering Dave's previous comments on things like this.