• 162 results
#101 Posted by EvolutionX0 (413 posts) -

Dullness.. I tried Fallout 3 many times and I still cant get into it because of this problem.  

#102 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

The driving in GTA 4. I know "UUH ITS REALISTIC HERP DERP" but I don't give a crud. I couldn't finish more than 4 missions with these controls. 

I never understood how PS3 users could shoot with the bumpers :(

#103 Posted by Inzzy (106 posts) -

Most of the time the reasons why I stop playing games are:
1. Bad voice acting. - If just one of the voice actors seem off or annoying I'll stop playing the game.
2. Control issues - Sometimes the controls just don't "feel" right, no mater what settings I go though.

#104 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@jim_dandy said:

" Mouse acceleration. "

Yeah this. But I'm gonna generalize it a bit further and say "mouse movement effects" since there seem to be more and more different ways piling up to completely destroy any semblance of 1:1 input ratio in games. Acceleration, deceleration, dampening, normalization, smoothing, side-effects of v-sync, auto aim, etc...

That shit just ruins gaming with a mouse way too often. I blame analog sticks and bad port jobs.

edit: I also hate feather light ragdolls. The way the bodies flop around all over the place in Dead Space and APB when you step over them is awful. GTA4 had the best ragdolls ever, and I'm not even talking about the use of euphoria. (also the best vehicle handling in any open world game ever -- except for bikes which were fixed in the episodes)
#105 Posted by BeachThunder (12403 posts) -

Invisible walls (or any other "you can't do that because you...just can't" scenario)
Bad controls / non-customisable controls
Poorly thought out interface design
Crappy cameras
Cheap jump scares
Non-sensical / contrived story elements
Bad save system

#106 Posted by jim_dandy (891 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:

Yeah this. But I'm gonna generalize it a bit further and say "mouse movement effects" since there seem to be more and more different ways piling up to completely destroy any semblance of 1:1 input ratio in games. Acceleration, deceleration, dampening, normalization, smoothing, side-effects of v-sync, auto aim, etc...  That shit just ruins gaming with a mouse way too often. I blame analog sticks and bad port jobs. 

I've found that the solution to this is replacing the mouse and keyboard for certain games (esp. any console ports) with the Xbox 360 controller.

Also using a controller in JC2 sucks for some reason. Turning around to shoot at something behind you requires a high sensitivity. High sensitivity makes it hard to get headshots.  

So I go back to the keyboard and mouse.

Which brings up another thing that makes games difficult to play: Controls that are always default, like in Just Cause 2 where changing the "use" key doesn't change the key for other actions. This is a bit of pain for an ESDF asshole like me.
#107 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@jim_dandy:  Agreed. I use a controller more than I want to sometimes because of this. And in some games like Borderlands or Mirror's Edge I will use a controller in my left hand and a mouse in my right hand. But as you said, many games don't allow you to rebind the individual button functions (which is really MS's fault for the awful unadjustable official controller drivers as much as it is game developers for not putting the options in the games), such as Borderlands. To make that game work for me I have to bind run and jump to the mouse wheel and set the controller to Angelic mode. It's weird as hell at first, but actually works well.

I also used to use ESDF for a few months, but now I use a G13 gameboard with re-programmable keys. It even has a thumbstick on it, which is the main reason I like to use a controller with my mouse, but the stick feels poor and I end up ignoring it most of the time.
#108 Posted by LiquidPrince (16166 posts) -

Not ruin, but pop in textures or low quality textures bug me.

#109 Posted by Spoonman671 (4769 posts) -
@Pazy said:
"

Personally I never really gotten into Bioshock though I have owned it twice, once on Xbox 360 and currently on PS3, I have never gotten into the characters, story or atmosphere. When I originally played it on Xbox 360 what ruined it for me was the gunplay which I, personally, felt didnt have a good feel to it and seemed to make up most of the 'gameplay' (although I know the story is what people remember) so I didnt enjoy playing the game. I ended up trading in the game but remembering all the praise that was given to it, and still is, I decided to rebuy it when I saw the Ps3 version going for cheap. Im trying to play more of the game to get to the twist that people keep saying exists, and im actually looking forward to that moment, but what is ruining it for me even more than the weak-feeling gunplay is that I have to use the "R2" button to fire. This is a relatively small flaw but I dont enjoy using "R2" to fire, in general I dont like using the button but it has its uses but for me firing a gun is not one of those uses.

So for me using R2 to fire in Bioshock, or in fact any PS3 game, is making it really hard for me to enjoy playing the game (I wish I had the option of using R1).

What small flaw's have ruined, or perhaps just seriously dulled, a game for you?

"
I clicked on this thread with this exact problem in mind, only to see that it is actually the topic of your post.  I am 100% with you!  Occasionally I will just deal with it, but I often outright skip shooters if they use R2 instead of R1 for the fire button.  To me, it's an obvious sign that the developer did not even consider how to make a game for the PS3, and only cranked out port of a 360 game.  Do developers just not own PS3s?  This is something that is so obvious and so easy to fix that it genuinely offends me when it's overlooked.
#110 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

Synchronized animations take me out of the game immediately.

#111 Posted by SpiralStairs (1007 posts) -

Lack of background music. Best example I can think of is Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble. It's a really fun game, but I just can't stand the lack of music when exploring, it feels awkward.

#112 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1642 posts) -

No post credit scene

#113 Posted by gabha (357 posts) -

I don't know how to describe it well, but it's a flaw with shadows in many gamesI've played once I've switched to HD. It's like an MS paint spray being taken to all the edges of the shadows, really ruins grahpics for me despite being seemingly a non-issue.

Also driving games that force you to hold triggers to accelerate, all of my hand starts to hurt after a while.

#114 Posted by forestofdeath (252 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
" the dumb split screen thing in RE5. ruined the split screen :/ "
if they had split the screen in a horizontal, even manner, wouldn't that ruin the aspect ratio? i'm positive they offset those small boxes in order to maintain two wide-screen images.
#115 Posted by AjayRaz (12476 posts) -
@forestofdeath: i'll be honest-- i don't give two shits about the aspect ratio stuff. i just wanted the split screen to fill the entire screen. other games have done it properly before >< 
#116 Posted by Pessh (2459 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
Clipping in sports games really bugs me too.
#117 Edited by Yakow_93 (70 posts) -

Low field of view in a pc shooter. It seems like im zoomed in all the time. 
Operation flashpoint :dragon rising had the lowest fov ever, I think it was around 55.  Im not a pro game developer or anything but Im pretty sure its easy for developers to fix the crappy fov, they are probably lazy or just don't play their games. 

#118 Posted by Rxanadu (506 posts) -

It's a tie between cheap deaths and the introduction of useless jargon without a decent explanation (no, I don't know what the fuck an aer krene is, thank you very much)

Also, for Too Human- I get it. I died.  Now stop taking 2 minutes of my time just to let me respawn in the same place; I'm just gonna die 2 seconds later.

For anyone who got which game I was referring to earlier, you get a cookie!

#119 Posted by Pkshields (811 posts) -

I've been playing The Saoteur recently, and at full speed in some of the cars the sound of their engines just seems to cut out. Out of everything about that game which is broken, this is one of the MOST FUSTRATING stupid things to ever bug me about a game.

#120 Posted by terminusdeus (7 posts) -
@s10129107 said:
" Not being able to map my buttons.  I remember Batman Arkham Asylum required an xbox controller if you wanted to use a gamepad.  Also i believe beyond good and evil had that problem.  I hate that kind of stuff. "
This is my biggest issues with games today.  Almost every previous gen game had fully mappable buttons, but yet now games limit you to just sensitivity and X/Y-axis toggles.  I was born with only a partially formed right hand, so when games put all the important controls on the right shoulder buttons with no option to change it, it just leaves me baffled and frustrated.  I'm looking at you Shadow Complex and every shooting game!  Is it really that technically challenging to make this possible on current gen games?
#121 Posted by Potter9156 (944 posts) -

Generally any FPS with crappy gun models causes me to like that game a lot less. E.G Bad Company 2. Looking at some of the gun models DICE shat out(two weeks before the game went gold) causes me physical pain. THAT is an m4!? It looks like a 2x4 painted black! How did this make it into the game!? Gah! I can't even use that gun now. Hire some new 3d modelers or something, DICE. Goddamn. 

#122 Posted by d_breeze (226 posts) -

I can't stand high encounter rates or stupid gimmicks, those have ruined multiple games for me...

#123 Edited by audiosnag (1582 posts) -

Bugs an glitches can sometimes ruin games depending on how bad they are.
KotOR 2 i stopped playing cause the bugs were getting on my nerves.
MW2 i stopped playing cause the guys using glitches to cheat were driving me effing crazy.

#124 Posted by Turambar (6888 posts) -

Lack of inverted controls.   No, you learn the proper way to control something in a game instead of making me use your fancy "normal" controls.

#125 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

New Game being the default even when you've got a save so if you're button tapping while it loads - boom.   Asking what device to load from every time you play.  Also really agree with bad interfaces / menus.  If you want your menu to zoom then let me move the choices while you're zooming.  Over zealous "OK - No" confirmations when you've had to already take 2 or 3 steps to get to the option.

Unskippable Cutscenes before a fight where you will die multiple times.  The second Prince of Persia after the chariot crashes and the last boss on Splosion Man on hardcore...  go away.

#126 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Choppy framerate

#127 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

Can't think of any one detail that made me stop playing a game before. A bad UI is one of the most frustrating things in the world for me. Fable 2 for example was almostu nplayable for me at some points because the menu system was so dam horrible.

#128 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

No subtitles can ruin it for me.

#129 Edited by Deusoma (3032 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" Bad graphics. "
lol  For me it's a short single player campaign that gives you no reason to play through more than once. "
If I can nitpick for a moment, that's not a "small flaw", that's a major issue with the game right there.

also: 

@Jasta said:

" Not being able to see the gun in an FPS. "

When has that ever happened? I'm not being a dick, I'm genuinely curious, that seems like a colossal fuckup on the part of the developer.
#130 Posted by hedfone (1731 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
punishment for playing split screen
#131 Posted by AjayRaz (12476 posts) -
@hedfone said:
" @AjayRaz said:
punishment for playing split screen "
b-but i like split screen! *sob*
#132 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -
@Deusoma said:

@Jasta said:

" Not being able to see the gun in an FPS. "

When has that ever happened? I'm not being a dick, I'm genuinely curious, that seems like a colossal fuckup on the part of the developer. "

#133 Posted by spankingaddict (2736 posts) -

Game controls need to be pretty slick , imo. Or it'll ruin the experience for me.

#134 Edited by FDanee (23 posts) -
@spankingaddict said:

" Game controls need to be pretty slick , imo. Or it'll ruin the experience for me. "

This. The controls need to "feel right". If it can't be done, write a book, make a movie, make a comic book with your story.
Also bad voice acting and wrong accents. I could not play more than 4 hours of GTA4 because of the shitty gunplay and a fake-ass slavic accents.
#135 Posted by Fjordson (2432 posts) -

Bad textures, even if it only happens sporadically.

#136 Posted by blitzkriegblizzard (196 posts) -

No hardware mouse... wtf is up with that Square Enix.

#137 Posted by Psykhophear (944 posts) -

Bad jumping precision and bad lip-syncing.

#138 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Nope. In fact, if there is a situation like that, I actively ignore the flaw. There are a few exceptions however, specifically character design.

#139 Posted by zudthespud (3284 posts) -

the smallest thing is a poor soundtrack for me.

#140 Posted by Eric_Buck (1289 posts) -

The sound Cole's shoes made when he ran in InFamous. Infuriating. 

#141 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -
@davissc9 said:
" @mazik765 said:
" Equipped armour/weapons not changing the appearance of your character. "
"
This. And bad controls.
#142 Posted by swamplord666 (1763 posts) -

games based on luck (risk, puzzle quest) defining difficulty by "we're going to make everything heavily slanted towards to AI"

#143 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

Unskippable cut scenes, for a few reasons really, firstly you can have the horrible scenario where you can't devote much time to the game and you get stuck in a cutscene when you really need to switch the game off, a nightmare if you haven't reached a save point.

As much as I love a well done cutscene it's not always a given that I'll want to watch it the second time through. Making me suffer through bad cutscenes is unforgivable.

Developers seem to love the idea that we like big dramatic scenes before a boss encounter/set piece, all well and good but when it needs multiple retries it quickly tests my patience

#144 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I dont think anything really small would ruin a game for me I do hate overly hard boss fights at the end of games like Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2, they were two of the most annoying I have ever played.

#145 Posted by kalmis (1549 posts) -

Any game on Xbox 360 that you can't install to HD. My sensitive old ears can't handle the copter sound anymore.

#146 Posted by Shadow (4988 posts) -

God of War 3: I don't like the feel of the platforming

#147 Edited by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Lack of splitscreen multiplayer in the 360 version of Serious Sam. Its fucking stupid, even the original PC version had it.

#148 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@CaLe said:
" English voice acting.  That's not so small I guess.. "
Generalisations piss me off. In a lot of cases, like the MGS series, the English voice acting is vastly superior to the original.
#149 Posted by one_2nd (2333 posts) -

I never really gotten into it either. 

#150 Posted by smudo (150 posts) -

You bought one Potions. 

or 

Hit one times! 

I made a little text adventure game when I was in programming class, it's not hard to make a string of code that tells the game to differentiate between plural and singular.