#1 Posted by stoodspoon (616 posts) -

Square Enix's CEO says the game will be disclosed to the public sometime in 2013. My guess probably during January because that's when we last saw anything major about the game. Odds are changing consoles to the PS4 and turning into Final Fantasy 15?

Tidbits about the game

.Main story-line is said to be extremely disturbing

.Said to be a seamless as possible

.You can take pictures with your cell phone

.No anime archetypes, characters are going to behave like real people

#2 Posted by GnomeonFire (715 posts) -

This game is never coming out.

#3 Posted by Benny (1951 posts) -

Source?

#4 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -

@stoodspoon said:

hahaha no.

#5 Posted by stoodspoon (616 posts) -

@Benny: Wikipedia

#6 Posted by TooWalrus (13167 posts) -

I refuse to get any hype for this game until there's actual release information... so, twenty-oh-never.

#7 Posted by stoodspoon (616 posts) -

@GnomeonFire said:

This game is never coming out.

One can hope

#8 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

@stoodspoon said:

Hah, that is a fucking lie.

The seamless thing isn't a lie, but I don't have hopes for how much is possible for them.

#9 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

It would be really cool to get an update on this game. No matter the criticism, this will be a must-buy for me :]

#10 Posted by stoodspoon (616 posts) -

And to people say this game is never coming out, if Duke Nukem Forever came out anything is possible

#11 Posted by stoodspoon (616 posts) -

@TobbRobb: Well Nomura said the main dude is not a gloomy guy despite his looks

#12 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@stoodspoon said:

And to people say this game is never coming out, if Duke Nukem Forever came out anything is possible

If Final Fantasy 13-2 is anywhere near as bad as DNF i'd rather it not come out. Now, I doubt that will happen. Hopfully the game is good, I wonder what is taking so long. Almost the entire console cycle.

#13 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

@stoodspoon: Hey don't get me wrong, I want that game and its characters to be great. But I can guarantee that they will fit into an archetype or another, gloomy or not. Hopefully it will be kind of blurry though.

#14 Posted by stoodspoon (616 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

@stoodspoon: Hey don't get me wrong, I want that game and its characters to be great. But I can guarantee that they will fit into an archetype or another, gloomy or not. Hopefully it will be kind of blurry though.

Good point

#15 Posted by ProfessorEss (7323 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@stoodspoon said:

hahaha no.

Yeah, I find that one very hard to believe. I realise that there's a first time for everything but Final Fantasy has a pretty deep hole to climb out of to get there.

#16 Posted by oldenglishC (945 posts) -

The game is also being written by a bigfoot and programmed by Santa Claus at their studio inside of Atlantis.

It'll take a more than a few imaginary bullet points to get me excited for any Square game after the train wreck that all their HD generation RPGs have been.

#17 Posted by Brodehouse (9875 posts) -

Game will come out alongside Agent and Prey 2.

#18 Posted by gamefreak9 (2358 posts) -

I dunno how you can be hyped about a game of which you know nothing about... and coming from people whose last good game was probably over 10 years ago.

#19 Posted by Hunter5024 (5615 posts) -

Well every time they say anything about this game it sounds like they're going in an interesting direction with it, but I can't bring myself to get excited about it anymore. I think they will probably focus on the third lightning game before they move full steam ahead on this, and I don't see that being out until a year from now in Japan at the absolute earliest. Versus 13 is a very depressing subject.

#20 Edited by IBurningStar (2164 posts) -

I won't believe it is real until I buy a copy, put it in my PS3, beat it and then watch the ending credits. Only then will I believe Versus 13 is a real game.

#21 Posted by Petiew (1345 posts) -

Final Fantasy characters have always kind of behaved like anime archetypes, I don't see that changing.
I'm looking forward to the game though, if it ever comes out.

#22 Posted by Benny (1951 posts) -

@stoodspoon said:

@Benny: Wikipedia

Nothing about how 'disturbing' the game is is properly cited in that wikipedia article and the information about how 'real' the characters are is over 6 years old. I can honestly say I wouldn't be surprised if the game turned out to be nothing like what is being described in the wikipedia article. A hell of a lot can change in 6 years (6 years ago the game was barely in development) and the actual game probably wont even make it to store shelves by the end of next year, if ever.

#23 Posted by mosespippy (4117 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Don't forget Ni-Oh

#24 Posted by Encephalon (1243 posts) -

Maybe this game will come out one day.

When that day comes, I will listen to the Yoko Shimomura soundtrack on Youtube.

#25 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

@stoodspoon said:

Final Fantasy 15?

I bet anything that the first time we see some big reveal with a ton of info, that it isn't called Versus 13. Maybe just FF:Versus or FF:Whatever or even FF15. Branding something with FF13 seems toxic.

#26 Posted by MentalDisruption (1622 posts) -

I wouldn't mind it being changed to FFXV. The current title always sounded stupid to me anyway. I just hope the game comes out since its the only final fantasy thing that has really interested me lately.

#27 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

That seems a little unfair, as an actual playable piece of software called Prey 2 has been shown to people at some point. Plus their has been real, solid information on that project in the past year. Sure it sounds like it's a giant piece of shit, and Bethesda decided this was going to be the game where they put their foot down and won't attach their name to garbage, but it's at least something, compared to absolutely nothing that the other two have provided

#28 Posted by Raven10 (1765 posts) -

By now I think the hype has grown so large that no game would be able to meet expectations. So I'm just going to assume it will suck and then anything average or above will be a nice surprise.

#29 Posted by asian_pride (1654 posts) -

This is turning to be like DNF to me. So until I see this game in box retail form, in store shelves, and eventually put the disc in my PS3, I refuse to believe this game exists. Also, the bullet point of characters interacting like 'real people' is bullshit. No anime archetypes? Ha! Like that'll ever happen in a FF game. Also, they should just adapt the Final Fantasy: Subtitle already and drop the numbers, because man. It's fucking stupid.

#30 Posted by Brodehouse (9875 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

@Brodehouse said:

That seems a little unfair, as an actual playable piece of software called Prey 2 has been shown to people at some point. Plus their has been real, solid information on that project in the past year. Sure it sounds like it's a giant piece of shit, and Bethesda decided this was going to be the game where they put their foot down and won't attach their name to garbage, but it's at least something, compared to absolutely nothing that the other two have provided

Was there actually a playable build of Prey 2? I've only been aware of the target demo they had of what they intended it to play like. Much like the 'gameplay' trailer Square released two years ago which made Versus look like cyberpunk Kingdom Hearts.

#31 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

@Brodehouse: It was shown behind closed doors, and they way it was described, it sounded like it was being played and not just the trailer that was publicly released. But between that and the problems that appeared to have come up with Bioshock Infinite a few months ago, I would hope that the games press will start ignoring amazing demos of games that are way off their target release date since they seem disingenuous.

#32 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

I want them to hurry the hell up with this game so I can get my Kingdom Hearts 3 dammit.

#33 Posted by That1BlackGuy (217 posts) -

Whatever, this game is through and through vaporware. They'd actually be doing a service by canceling the project and allocating those resources elsewhere because at this point no matter how good the game is, it won't meet their audience(s) expectations of it. Making a Final Fantasy RPG without native character archetypes would be lame. I don't play Eastern Asian games for Western influences and vice versa.

Regardless if it does come out, I'm" sure it'll be solid. I enjoyed FFXIII-2 and FFXIV (post launch) so that lets me know their teams can still craft good gameplay experiences.

#34 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I don't quite trust their word, but if it turns out to be true, I'm excited. I'd love for them discover a new formula for JRPGs, that works for me. Their 16-bit era games are amongst my fondest gaming experiences of my early youth. I hope they'll create such magic again. It can only be good, to see them trying to step outside of their comfort zone.

I've similar feelings about Bioware pursuing more open and organic environments with Frostbite 2, away from the blocky corridor-y D&D grid RPG-maker style of worldbuilding they've been doing so far. Hopefully it's not going to be a painful transition.