#1 Posted by scaramoosh (179 posts) -

Looking at the launch games there is really nothing there I care about that I cannot get on PC. In fact the only game I'm excited for that I cannot get on the PC this launch is GTA V and tbh at this point I'm not going to buy a PS3 for it and will just wait it out for the PC version. Judging how badly GTA 4 looked and ran on the consoles though, I probably wouldn't want to play it because I just cannot play games at 30FPS with jaggies all over the place any more.

My biggest problem though is the game price, whenever I look at GAME or Amazon the games are £55-£65 for normal editions and it's crazy! I would never pay that much for a game, on the PC it's much cheaper, I either buy the game off a cdkey site for like £25 or I wait for a Steam sale and get it for like 50% off at Christmas a month later. I struggle to even get my friends to buy games at those prices on PC, most of them now are just playing F2P games or waiting until they're £5-10. They just wont ever buy games at full price any more, if the games never come down in price or were on a sale, then they'd never play them. I'm 25 and my friends are around my age but they all have jobs and kids and wives draining their money so they don't really have the time or the money to put so much into games.

I know people at work who own consoles and games are already too expensive to the point that they'll buy one game a year and it's COD or GTA or Skyrim. So I dread to think how poor sales will be now game prices are going up, £55-65 is like around 100USD. We see now that there are so many highly rated exclusives and they just aren't selling all that well, stuff that Bioware or Naughty Dog makes are always highly rated and they only sell like 2-3 million before the sales slow down. We have indie games that sell way more than that now simply because the price is much cheaper and that's on word of mouth alone, nowhere near the marketing budgets of these "AAA" developers.

On top of that though you have to pay a subscription to be able to play games you've already bought online. It's another mounting cost that has no place being there, haven't these companies learnt anything from F2P? I thought Sony was going the right direction with Playstation+ but even they've gone to the Microsoft subscription model. It's such a con and another reason why I just wouldn't want a console, it makes me feel like an MMO where I feel guilty if I do not play the game because I'm wasting my money on the subscription....... then I end up just not bothering to subscribe to anything because I don't like that feeling. It's why F2P has done so well, you don't feel locked into anything and you can spend money when you want.

You do not even get anything good out of your subscription either, it isn't like you get any more game. At least with PC you have mods which Steam is doing a good job with Steamworks to bring them all into one place and mods just make all the difference. Battlefield has been complete shit since they stopped releasing SDKs, you're stuck with the worst maps ever and you have to pay for every little bit of content. All the fun I've had in online shooters has been from custom maps or mods like Project Reality or Goldeneye Source or Garry's Mod etc etc. Dayz took hundreds of hours of my life and that was an ARMA 2 mod, Minecraft is only worthwhile on the PC because of all the mods you can play. GTA games have always needed an SDK, they would be so much better if they just had the mods of an Elder Scrolls games!

I just cannot play on a system that has no community based content or mods, without them you're stuck playing crap that gets old very fast. I mean look at the new Sim City, all that needs is mod support and suddenly it would be amazing because modders would make it good! Look how shit COD has gotten since all that ended on the PC too, the last good version was COD 4, you know the one with all the mods.

Then finally there is the fact that these new consoles are already really dated, we're moving onto GPUs with 6tflops next year and the consoles only deliver 1.2-1.8. Then you have the fact that the 8 core CPUs in the new consoles were designed to be low powered cpus for laptops and only run at 1.6-1.8ghrz. They will have 3-4 cores locked off from developers, so realistically for gaming they're only 4-5 cores and their PC counterpart versions get benchmarked against the Core I3........... the Core I7s on the PC already kick their arse. We've seen the limitations already with the new BF4 being only 720P @60fps and probably limited to no AA.

I'm just so disappointed in this console generation, tbh I will be able to get every game on the PC but the exclusives which tbh I don't care for either platforms exclusives, the only one I played was MGS4. Frigging at this point I'm more excited for the Wii U, it's cheaper, the games are reasonably priced and Nintendo have all the unique exclusives that I cannot buy anything like those games on the PC.

#2 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

While you certainly are not alone, you are certainly wrong not to be excited. At least as far as I'm concerned, this is the most exciting gaming has been in years. Shit's going down son!

#3 Edited by Verendus (348 posts) -

I'm sorry, but this thread seems like an attempt to cloak "PC is better than consoles" opinion into "I'm not excited about new consoles". If it isn't then excuse me for claiming such thing.

If you play on PC, of course you aren't excited about next-gen consoles, most of the important stuff next-gen consoles offer are already on PC. You go all in-detail with specs and stuff, I'm only speaking for myself, but I'd guess majority of console players don't care for it. They want good graphics from next-gen, and compared to current gen, they will be.

There is no arguing PC gaming is "superior" when it comes to mods and graphics etc. But you have to understand there are things on consoles that make them viable option. You just pop-in disc and play, no need to figure out what specs you need to run the game on max settings etc.

And for me, playing Minecraft split-screen with girlfriend or Borderlands in split-screen is something no mods or high end graphics can ever replace.

PC and WiiU seems to fit your gaming needs perfectly, that's good. Just respect people who are excited about next-gen consoles since graphics we've seen aren't taken for granted by console players. When the 720p rumour about BF4 started spreading, majority of people who thought it was such a deal breaker was PC players, the ones who weren't interested about console version to begin with.

#4 Posted by billymagnum (837 posts) -

new consoles=yawn

#5 Edited by HermanBloom (94 posts) -

This generation was way too long, we need these new consoles to at least attempt to mix things up.

And this is coming from a guy who is well over a year away from being able to buy either of them. It's time. It's way past time really.

#6 Edited by Sinusoidal (1653 posts) -

I'm not as excited as most. That probably has a lot to do with being 37, and still wowed by PS3 graphics since I only got into this generation of games a couple of years ago. It's 2009 for me! It took me that long to get through my backlog of PS2 games (I never did finish a bunch of games including Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, now I own them for PS3 and still haven't started them.) It'll be a good couple of years at least before I'm ready for the next generation of consoles. There's a stack of 40 unstarted PS3 games in front of me as I type this.

#7 Posted by TriBeard (134 posts) -

One question I have is has anyone heard if they (Sony and/or Microsoft) are planning another increase in the price of games? The previous increase was bad enough, but at least there was some justification in that they were moving to new media (Blu-ray for sony, and I think dual layer dvd for microsoft). However, this time I don't think they can pull that card again, so I am curious if they will now charge $70 or more for new games. Which would suck, not only for console players, but for everyone because I'm sure PC games will go up right along side them, just like they did last time.

#8 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5036 posts) -

@seppli said:

While you certainly are not alone, you are certainly wrong not to be excited. At least as far as I'm concerned, this is the most exciting gaming has been in years. Shit's going down son!

#9 Edited by danmcn12 (86 posts) -

I'm not excited for any of the games really, just destiny and titan fall since they seem to finally be unique feeling FPS. Other that I'm more excited for the features of the physical consoles, but I'm not spending 500$ to mess around with Xbox's TV features or kinect. Same for PS4.

#10 Posted by CreepingDeath0 (176 posts) -

I'm not necessarily excited about the new consoles, and it'll be at least a year or two before I decide to get one, BUT I am very excited about the prospect of Giant Bomb drowning in new Quick Looks and features in November and December.

I'm also really curious to see if anything from the launch lineups will make it into Game of the Year discussions. Or maybe they'll go new generation mad and it'll be nothing but launch games xD

#11 Posted by EXTomar (4841 posts) -

For the previous gen I pre-ordered and waited out till it got delivered. This time around I am probably going to put one on my "Christmas List" along with "a new bicycle". Last time around I got burned by both platforms so this time I am waiting.

#12 Edited by believer258 (11987 posts) -

@tribeard said:

One question I have is has anyone heard if they (Sony and/or Microsoft) are planning another increase in the price of games? The previous increase was bad enough, but at least there was some justification in that they were moving to new media (Blu-ray for sony, and I think dual layer dvd for microsoft). However, this time I don't think they can pull that card again, so I am curious if they will now charge $70 or more for new games. Which would suck, not only for console players, but for everyone because I'm sure PC games will go up right along side them, just like they did last time.

Pretty sure they've said that $60 is going to remain the standard price for newly launched AAA games. However, I get the feeling that we're going to start seeing a more variable pricing structure. Games with the biggest budgets will stay $60, but smaller-budgeted games seem to have proven themselves to be worth looking into if you can sell them at a better price.

Haven't you posted something like this before, @scaramoosh? I could have sworn that I answered this before...

Anyway, I'm interested to see what new consoles will bring to the table. I'm unnaturally curious about those smaller-budgeted games I just mentioned and what might come out of that. Will we get more Darksiders-like "M-rated Zelda" games? Will isometric RPG's make a comeback? Maybe the JRPG will get Westernized? Perhaps Metroidvania games will become more popular? Perhaps classic shooters will start showing their faces again? First person dungeon crawlers?

I guess what I'm saying is, I want the '90's back as we remember them and not as they actually are.

#13 Posted by Stonyman65 (2763 posts) -

I'm kind of excited just because it means new games are coming out and (hopefully) it will help push game development up a little bit. That, and the whole consoles wars thing. Somebody's getting knocked out this generation. My guess is Nintendo, but Microsoft looks like it's going down in flames with each new Xbox One announcement they make. That's probably the most interesting part to me is seeing how it will all turn out in the end. There's definitely some crazy shit going down and the consoles aren't even out yet!

That being said, what I've seen game-wise so far hasn't really interested me much at all. Every game that they have announced so far all that I think of when I see it is "man, that would be awesome on PC" and I kind of question why I would even need a console with PC performance being so good these days. I'm not trying to be elitist, but if this is all the consoles can do for a while I'm probably just going to stick with PC. Why would I spend $400+ on a new console to play games when I can spend that $400+ on a new video card and play the same games and get better performance (at least in the long run)?

#14 Edited by hermes (1535 posts) -

While I am not exited about the near future of the new consoles (its going to be at least a year before I decide to buy one), I am interested in seeing the influx of new IPs that are sure to follow in the next couple years.

#15 Posted by Flappy (2300 posts) -

I'm not thinking about buying a PS4 until Second Son comes out. Even then, I might just wait until a sexy bundle comes out to buy into the next-gen experience.

#16 Posted by stryker1121 (1523 posts) -

I'm going to see how things shake out post-launch before I even seriously think about buying anything. PC and 360 will keep me plenty busy until I make a decision.

#17 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

After hearing from a trusted source at PAX that both consoles' controllers are awful, I have little to no interest. GTA V is all I care about at this point. And there are plenty of other current gen games to keep me occupied until the next-gen games I really want to play show up (Witcher 3, Mirror's Edge, Halo 5, Quantum Break, etc.)

#18 Posted by falserelic (5464 posts) -

I'm not super excited about it, but I'm interested in seeing what happens. Hearing about online policy's and restrictions have put me off abit, and I probably won't get a next gen console until late next year. Still I like to see how far developers can push next gen consoles to its limits.

#19 Edited by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

I don't know where you're finding normal editions of next gen games for £55 - £65. RRP is £49.99 and most places (Amazon etc - who you actually referenced) are selling them for £40-£49. Battlefield 4, for example, is £42. COD: Ghosts is £44.

When you say "whenever I look at GAME or Amazon the games are £55-£65 for normal editions and it's crazy!" that's not true. None of the Xbox One launch games at Amazon are more than £49.99. Game are selling some of the launch games at £55ish, but they're "Game Exclusive" versions with special tins and stuff. The normal versions are all around or less than £50.

#20 Edited by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

It honestly raises a few flags for me if people on a video game forum aren't excited for the next iteration of consoles. If you have a vested interest in seeing new types of games or new IP, then this is the time when most publishers/developers are in planning to create such content. This means huge investment from everyone especially from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

I can only hope that these new platforms launching in November will revitalize the AAA space or we may very well see more companies go the way of THQ (or spin off development to more lucrative platforms such as IOS) and less games come to PC. I really hope that Microsoft and Sony can make a good case for owning these new machines to the hardcore and compete with steam on the digital side with pricing and convenience. I think that alone can go a long way for them to be successful or else I might be forced to play my 200 game backlog on steam.

So far I'm really looking forward to:

• Metal Gear Solid 5
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Deep Down
  • Drive Club
  • Resogun
  • Yakuza Ishin
  • Rime
  • Knack
  • Imfamous: SS

and whatever SCEJA has going on!

*Fingers crossed that traditional gaming doesn't die this gen*

#21 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I would be perfectly content with them never making new consoles. Graphics and all that are good enough for me on the PS3 and I wouldn't mind if they just supported that for forever. Games that come out now with their slick graphics and all the other shit people brag about aren't really any better than games that came out 10 years ago.

#22 Posted by BeachThunder (12089 posts) -

I'm looking forward to the trickle down...

#23 Posted by Kr7stof (74 posts) -

Let me first say that i don't hate consoles at all. I own a PS3 and a WII-U. But i'm not gonne buy the new ones. I'm not excited at all. Why?

Let me explane. I have a pc so i'm looking forward to some great games: Survarium, the witcher 3, Wasteland 2, dragon age, star citizen, the division, titanfall and cuberpunk 2077. Not forgetting the diablo 3 expansion.

Those are some of my most anticipated. So, FOR ME, the new consoles are not something i look forward to.

I am, however, excited thats something is happening in the world of gaming, like the new consoles. I'm gonne follow the news closely to known witch one is doing better than the other:)

#24 Posted by Darson (451 posts) -

I don't care. The games I'm excited about were developed on current consoles so I don't need to gamble my money on one of two new ones. I'll probably just wait out. I honestly expect both to fail miserable and have Nintendo come out of no where with a new console that has a real controller and 3rd party games and win the universe.

That's how much faith I have in the XBOne and the PS4.

#25 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Even if you're gonna stick with PC, everyone benefits from the new consoles. So even if you're not going to get one, better games will come out because of it.

#26 Edited by Rafaelfc (1381 posts) -

I am very excited for the new consoles because they are new CONSOLES, and I love videogames in any shape or form, be it handhelds, PC, tablets or consoles it's all good.

And most certainly there will be exclusive games down the line I will want to play.

#27 Posted by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

I'm not excited and i will play GTA 5 on my PS3 :D i'll wait for the good exclusives to arrive on the new consoles before buying one.

#28 Edited by Palmlykta (228 posts) -

I wouldn't say that I'm excited. Amused is more like it. I'm gonna buy a PS4 because it's shiny and then wait it out for MGSV. Maybe play some Warframe on the telly for a bit cause that may be alright. I dunno, I'm up for whatevs really...

#29 Posted by Palmlykta (228 posts) -

I would be perfectly content with them never making new consoles. Graphics and all that are good enough for me on the PS3 and I wouldn't mind if they just supported that for forever. Games that come out now with their slick graphics and all the other shit people brag about aren't really any better than games that came out 10 years ago.

This guy knows the score.

#30 Posted by Kr7stof (74 posts) -
#31 Edited by JoeyRavn (4992 posts) -

I have a gaming PC, a 3DS and a Wii U. There's absolutely nothing that the new consoles can offer me that I can remotely care about.

#33 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5799 posts) -

Regardless of whether you want to buy the new consoles, every PC gamer should be thrilled they're coming out. Developers can start doing more with the games they make without being constrained by 8 year old pieces of tech. The bar has been effectively raised!

#34 Posted by BigJeffrey (5075 posts) -

Nope but still getting one

#35 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I'm excited in a sense, as no longer will gaming be held back by having to develop for consoles with 512MB or less of RAM. Finally bigger scale games will come out without huge sacrifices.

The PlayStation+, Gaikai and remote play makes me excited for the PS4 too, as a Vita owner. Probably gonna get one on launch, I have a pre-order still.

#36 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@sooty said:

I'm excited in a sense, as no longer will gaming be held back by having to develop for consoles with 512MB or less of RAM. Finally bigger scale games will come out without huge sacrifices.

This x1000. It's weird how slow the video game industry moves in regards to new hardware in comparison to, say, the mobile phone industry.

#37 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4233 posts) -

Nope, I'm still excited. This map is from X-Game No. 934754737. Its pretty awesomely bigger than the other two anomalous shapes there. And it looks like an elephant.

#38 Posted by MB (12715 posts) -

I still have a standing preorder on Amazon for the Xbox One, but I'm seriously considering canceling it. Or maybe I'll get the preorder and then resell the system at retail value on Craigslist or something to someone who really wants it...I dunno. Right now there are just no compelling reasons for me to switch systems, especially considering that many games in development are coming out for both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I will most likely stick with my 360 and PC for the next year at least.

#39 Posted by JJOR64 (19020 posts) -

As of right now the only next gen (Xbone/PS4 that is) game I'm excited for is Kingdom Hearts 3.

#40 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

Eh, I'm not excited for the new generation at all. I just upgraded my PC completely and I have a Wii U, so I'm all set. A couple of my friends are getting the new consoles, though, so if I want to play on one so badly, I'll just go over and play. I think I'll wait to get one until they have some actually interesting games. What they've shown so far is terribly underwhelming.

#41 Edited by Vuud (2033 posts) -

I'm surprised at the amount of PC talk around here after E3. I can understand not camping outside stores to get one, because I think both consoles will have disastrous launches trying to deliver on all their services. But there's no reason not to be excited for a long overdue generation of new hardware.

#42 Posted by Vextroid (1417 posts) -

I'm not excited about the new consoles (thought there are games for them that I would like to play) but I'm more excited what the new consoles will do for PC's in the coming year.