So Canada got more lame recently.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Xeiphyer

Im Canadian and I live in Canada.. but what the hell! They just increased the cost of new release games to $70?! Thats fucked up!  Anyone else experiencing similar tragedies?

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RsistncE
@Xeiphyer: Just? This happened a month ago, because the dollar dropped a bit. It's starting to climb again so I'm sure they'll be back to $60 soon.

BTW...call Canada lame again....and I'll choke you out with a bacon strip. EH
DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DECA555
RsistncE said:
@Xeiphyer: Just? This happened a month ago, because the dollar dropped a bit. It's starting to climb again so I'm ... [more]
Agreed. Canada is teh sex. 
freakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By freakin

they reduced it when the canadian dollar was even with the us dollar didn't they.  Just going back to what it used to be.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By FrankCanada97

Meh, it was $70 for years until that fateful week in Sept. 2007. I wouldn't complain though, based on our economy, a strong Canadian dollar is not good for us.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike

Don't Canadians pay some sort of exorbitantly high sales tax on the order of 13-14% on top of that?

freakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By freakin
FrankCanada97 said:
Meh, it was $70 for years until that fateful week in Sept. 2007. I wouldn't complain though, based on our ... [more]

word.  I'd love for the Canadian dollar to be worthless.  Well maybe that's a stretch, but I miss the 60 cent Canadian dollar.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By FrankCanada97
MB said:
Don't Canadians pay some sort of exorbitantly high sales tax on the order of 13-14% on top of that? [more]

Depends on which province. If Ontario, yes. If Alberta, no.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By keyhunter

I haven't noticed because no games have come out that aren't available for 5 dollars used in the past month.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Feanor

Why do Canadians have to pay so much more for magazines?

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By keyhunter
Feanor said:
Why do Canadians have to pay so much more for magazines?
Because Canada is the population of California spread over the second largest land mass on earth. It costs a lot of money to distribute and sell roughly 0 magazines per million square kilometers so they have to cost more.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Xeiphyer

Haha its actually a bit less than california. Crazy times. And yeah... So I haven't had a job in like 3 months so not alot of videogame buying these days for me haha. And yeah weaker canadian dollar is good overall, but sighhh.... $70... that sucks! Everything is a bit more expensive in Canada for no reason!

And also, In Alberta we only have to pay 5% GST on things we buy, so thats pretty awesome, Its quite a bit higher in other provinces. =)

And yeah, whats up with magazines and books being way more expensive... Thats lame! Its probably a lumberjack related conspiracy. They want books more expensive so we wont burn them to keep warm in winter, instead we will buy our awesome sexy soft lumber. Or maybe because we have to get everything snowmobiled up into Canada to our Chapters igloo in our village.

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By nixium

Yea it sucks. It should swing back pretty soon as the CAD = 92 Cents USD at the moment according to XE.com

If you live near the border you should just pop down there and buy a bunch of games and bring them back. Any amount under 500 will not be subjected to duty and additional taxes.

catpowerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By catpowerd

Just be glad you don't live in Australia, we are paying $110 a pop.

Also we just got Rock Band 1  late last year.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alex_Murphy

Well are Canadians just going to bend over and take it or are you guys going to fight back?

Throw rocks through store windows, (Molotov cocktails would be even better but would bring more heat)
Smear shit on windows, doors, cop cars, government buildings, ect.
I would also suggest tons of graffiti to let people know why they're being screwed over.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By meteora

The game price is alright, a bit more expensive than United States but we're probably better off than the UK , EU and definitely Australia. Last I recalled the prices were tagged at $60 but it gets near to $70 if you include the taxes.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Godwind
keyhunter said:
Feanor said: Why do Canadians have to pay so much more for magazines? Because Canada is the population of California ... [more]
If I am not mistaken, the Canadian population is spead not all over the country but along the boarder of the united states.  The map I am provide, is from 2002.  However, I doubt it suddenly changed to spread all over the country.

No Caption Provided

Keep in mind that Canada has a population of 30 million people.  The United States has a population of 300 million.  If you want magazines for inexpensive prices, go to Britain.
Rodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18  Edited By Rodent

This has been the case  for a few months now...

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By keyhunter
Godwind said:
keyhunter said: Feanor said: Why do Canadians have to pay so much more for magazines? Because Canada is the population ... [more]
Like I said, and like the map says. All over the country. The mother of pearl areas on the map are 0.5 persons per square kilometer. Not 0 people.  You just corrected me and then posted a map that says the exact same thing I said.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By toowalrus

Isn't the Canadian dollar still strong compared to the American dollar? One new game in Canada = $64.3710 USD right now. Bummer, but you guys were catching some slack for awhile.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By keyhunter
TooWalrus said:
Isn't the Canadian dollar still strong compared to the American dollar? One new game in Canada = $64.3710 USD right ... [more]

Not so much guy. When our dollar was worth more than yours, we were still paying twice as much for gas and oil that comes out of our soil. We were still paying more for food, drinks, cars, houses, clothes, whatever. Everything. Prices don't seem to change at all when our dollar is strong, it just stays the same, or goes up in price either way. If I were to go to USA right now with my shitty Canadian dollar, I would be saving money if I went and bought groceries at the rite aid, or if I filled up my gas tank. Even after the exchange rates, I'm saving like 50% on gasoline and several dollars off a block of cheese.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By toowalrus
keyhunter said:
TooWalrus said: Isn't the Canadian dollar still strong compared to the American dollar? One new game in Canada = $64.3710 ... [more]
I'm not your guy, Friend! Ha, sorry...

I think you know I was specifically talking about New Release game prices compared to the American price.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By keyhunter
TooWalrus said:
keyhunter said: TooWalrus said: Isn't the Canadian dollar still strong compared to the American dollar? One new game in Canada ... [more]
Oh, those haven't changed either. Some games are 68 bucks at launch, some games are 64. But usually they're 59. Money ain't no thang. I'm sure people with jobs don't give a shit. Unless you go to SUPERSTORE. The game prices there are downright rediculous. They've got unopened copies of some crappy launch titles for like 67.32 (Prices that don't end with .99 are stupid)
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Godwind
keyhunter said:
Godwind said: keyhunter said: Feanor said: Why do Canadians have to pay so much more for magazines? Because Canada is ... [more]
Ontario
(Total: 10,000,000 People) 
(33% of Population)
Toronto- 5,800,000
Ottawa- 1,100,000
Hamilton- 700,000
London- 460,000
Kitchener- 450,000
St.Cathrines- 390,000
Oshawa- 330,000
Windsor- 323,000

Quebec
(The French Assholes)
(Total: 4,800,000 people)
(16% of population)
Montreal- 3,900,000
Quebec City- 700,000
Sherbrooke- 186,000

Alberta
(Total 2 million people)
(7% of Population)
Calgary- 1,000,000
Edmonton- 1,000,000

British Columbia
(Total: 2,433,000 People)
(8% of population)
Vancouver- 2,100,000
Victoria- 330,000

The numbers presented represent 64% of the country. The rest is 34% of the country.  That means 11,000,000 people representing that empty space. The real money is  selling along the boarder.
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Player1

Thats to bad. It sucks to see other countries get screwed over game wise. 

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Synthballs
@catpowerd: one day I hope to recieve Rock Band 2 aswell :(
Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

so much for prototype next week....

Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By pirate_republic

Wasn't it already $70 for the new releases?

Anyways I'm in Alberta, so I save enough on other things to afford this.

Shinobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shinobe

As of June 1st, 2009:

1 Canadian Dollar = 0.92035 US Dollar

New Release in US = 59.99
New Release in Canada = 69.99 (+13% tax if you're in Ontario)

we're paying 64.41 in USD for the same game (before tax)
The 5 dollar difference does sometime worth more then the conversion rates at times when the TSX takes a plunge down the CN Tower (I remember our dollar being at 0.71 : 1 just a few months ago)
So it all depends on perspective and when you buy. (the tax does hurt but we enjoy life time benefit of free health care)
I for one almost never buy brand new releases unless it's a game I know I'm going to enjoy immensely or I HAVE to get the collector's edition.
Also, there are tons of online trading forums for used games, most people know that  places like ebgames and blockbuster gives crappy dollars for your game anyways and are willing to sell their games at "lower-then-retail used game prices".