#1 Edited by TomA (2531 posts) -

This is really surprising to me. I was sure this was gonna be in development for at least another year or two.

EDIT: As a few people pointed out, this info already came out due to the Respawn thing awhile back. Stay for discussion if you like!

#2 Edited by Branthog (7349 posts) -

Well, that's disappointing. :/

#3 Edited by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -

Remember when all that Destiny stuff leaked because of the Activision lawsuit with those Respawn guys? It said it was going to be this gen.

#4 Edited by Nightriff (4931 posts) -

I thought we already knew this?

#5 Posted by Andorski (5204 posts) -

It's gotta be one of those in-between generation games where they get up-ressed ports on the new consoles.

#6 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -
#7 Edited by Pr1mus (3825 posts) -

I can't help but think that it's bullshit. It's February 2013 and so far all they've shown is a few concept arts... this can't be close to release and if not are they really gonna launch a new IP after the new consoles come out? It's one thing to release a big game on previous gen hardware if it's a big established sequel but i don't know about a new IP that probably will be ongoing for years.

#8 Edited by TomA (2531 posts) -

Oh ya! Come to think of it, I think I actually discussed this fact with a buddy when those leaks came out.

@andorski said:

It's gotta be one of those in-between generation games where they get up-ressed ports on the new consoles.

And hopefully PC as well. I can only imagine what this would look like on a high end gaming rig in early 2014.

#9 Edited by TomA (2531 posts) -

It's also still weird to me that as soon as a game is announced, you can instantly pre-order it. Sign of the times I suppose.

#10 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@jjor64 said:

Remember when all that Destiny stuff leaked because of the Activision lawsuit with those Respawn guys? It said it was going to be this gen.

It also said there would be a "720" version and PS3 and PC releases would follow after the initial Microsoft exclusivity.

#11 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2315 posts) -

Bungie did also say the tech used is easily transferable to more powerful hardware, so next gen ports are still in play.

#12 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

They have said that they plan on building/Expanding on the Destiny universe for ten years, of course it will be available on PS4 etc.

#13 Posted by Ezakael (917 posts) -

This bums me out because I'm not planning on ever renewing my live so I have to play it on PS3, which I still do not own yet. Hopefully I get one before it's released. I'd still prefer this to be on PC over consoles as well.

#15 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3765 posts) -

As Jeff said, if this isn't coming out til Q2 2014, this is cross platform. There's no way in hell it isn't.

#16 Posted by Andorski (5204 posts) -

@toma said:

It's also still weird to me that as soon as a game is announced, you can instantly pre-order it. Sign of the times I suppose.

Using pre-order information to gauge interest in the game is such a widely used practice nowadays. Pre-orders are here to stay for a long time.

#17 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

If it comes out this year I'll be playing it on the 360. I'm in no rush to get the new consoles until there's more than one reason to pick it up.

#18 Edited by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

Question:
Will this game be on the PS4 reveal on Feb 20. ?

#19 Posted by Andorski (5204 posts) -

Question:

Will this game be on the PS4 reveal on Feb 20. ?

I'm guessing no. Both Bungie and Activision have much stronger ties to Microsoft than Sony. Sony would have to try real hard and lure them to their press conference, but 1) I doubt Sony would make that smart of a move and 2) Microsoft is probably working hard to make sure that this game gets the same mindset of being an "Xbox game" like CoD.

#20 Edited by PandaBear (1312 posts) -

Well they can't announce a game for consoles that haven't been officially announced or formally named. Duh.

#21 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (190 posts) -

Yes it is multiplatform, good thing too because then more people get to play it. But it will probably end up getting ported to next gen systems later.

#22 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Well they aint going to say PS4 and Xbox 3 before they are launched

#23 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Apparently PS3&360 FOR THE TIME BEING, is hard concept to grasp.

#24 Edited by Snail (8585 posts) -

@toma: What "Respawn thing"?

#25 Posted by Andorski (5204 posts) -

@snail: Activision's lawsuit against the former heads of Infinity Ward, who have now created their own studio called Respawn Entertainment. For some reason Activision had to divulge some of their future business plans, which included Bungie's Destiny.

#26 Posted by Snail (8585 posts) -

@andorski said:

@snail: Activision's lawsuit against the former heads of Infinity Ward, who have now created their own studio called Respawn Entertainment. For some reason Activision had to divulge some of their future business plans, which included Bungie's Destiny.

I hadn't heard of them having to share future business plans. When was this?

#27 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

I can't help but feel flashbacks to the long wait for Halo 2 and how over-promised and under-delivered that game was.

#28 Edited by Andorski (5204 posts) -

@snail: Didn't really follow what happened when it happened. Here's a Polygon article about it though.

#29 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@spudbug said:

I can't help but feel flashbacks to the long wait for Halo 2 and how over-promised and under-delivered that game was.

But that game had far superior multiplayer to the first game and still has the best map selection. (out of the box anyway)

Although the campaign did suck. I remember the E3 demo everyone lost their shit over and it wasn't even in the game.

#30 Posted by SlashDance (1806 posts) -

@sooty said:

@spudbug said:

But that game had far superior multiplayer to the first game and still has the best map selection. (out of the box anyway)

Although the campaign did suck. I remember the E3 demo everyone lost their shit over and it wasn't even in the game.

That was borderline false advertising.

#31 Posted by DarthOrange (3852 posts) -

Man this is probably going to really hurt the multiplayer community if it isn't released on new consoles.

#32 Posted by Undeadpool (4913 posts) -

@andorski said:

This is my thought as well.

#33 Edited by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

If Jeff is correct and it doesn't come out until next year there's no way in hell it doesn't come to next gen consoles. Would have been a crazy launch title though so I'm a little disappointed.

#34 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -

My guess is their main focus is the next gen consoles and they're only advertising the current generation because they can't say anything about next gen. There's no chance a game revealed in 2013 will be aimed mainly at 8 year old consoles.

#35 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

My thoughts, based on Jeff's video:

• Destiny is coming to next-gen stuff.
  • Bungie sends out invites to journalists around the country to show the game off.
  • For some reason or another they assumed Microsoft (and Sony?) would have revealed their consoles before then, or at least allow Bungie to say "yes it's coming to next-gen". That falls apart.
  • Instead they waste everyone's time by showing off concept art, listening to music, and their ability to move their desks around the office.
  • (After Sony/Microsoft reveal), Bungie announces the game is coming to next-gen as well.
#36 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@sooty said:

@spudbug said:

That was borderline false advertising.

Indeed I was pretty sad because I was one of those people losing their shit.

Hard to believe I got that excited about a Halo game at one stage in my life.