So did that sell anyone on becoming a Whiskey Media Subscriber?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RazielCuts

So now we've all lived it, did the Big Live Live Show Live live up to its name and sell anyone on becoming a Whiskey Media Member who previously wasn't? For me the answer is no.  

I thought this event's main goal was to convert people who were on the fence about subbing and catch a few newbies too, showing off the exclusive content we're missing and being like 'Hey, you're missing this shit' 'Oh word?!' 

But to me this just felt like a extended version of the Happy Hour, with boring monotone charismatic void segments I had to mute (Comic Vine) and others that were plain inane (Tested). They talked a big game at PAX this year of new features and 'Oh shit, we're bringing back the Endurance Run' but none of that or the new segments/features were even mentioned.  Apart from the guests Giant Bomb had in for music and from development I felt like the content in the segments themselves were pretty shallow and felt very rushed and organised at the last minute (Eat Your Words? What :S) . If this is the best they can produce when they go all out, I'm not so sure, maybe it is a good thing that they are slowing the pace on the Happy Hours down to make them only when they have cool stuff to show, because otherwise you just have all filler and no killer. 

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it was a lot of hard work to get such a long live stream going without any major fuck ups and timed so well so congrats to Vinny, Drew and the production team and it was a fun celebration of the Whiskey Media sites and happy anniversary on 1 year of subs but as a marketing tool meant to entice new subscribers? I think it fell flat.  

I love these guys, its a really good family atmosphere and £30 quid a year (there about's) in English isn't that much so I'll definitely support these guys when I stop being a student and become a real boy (get a job), but I won't be doing it for the content displayed today. I'll be doing it for my love of the personalities at Giant Bomb. 

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By matthias2437

It sold me thrice! (I was already a subscriber but if not I would have for damn sure.)

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DonPixel

@RazielCuts: Ohh god this nonsense again. Just support Whiskey Media so we don't have advertiser's doing "editorial overviews" like they do on IGN, Gamespot or any other major videogame site HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND?

The funky dumb shit they do in the videos is just a plus.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sooty

Dave Radio Show was why I subbed

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Mystyr_E

I'll probably get it from people but no. Weird as it sounds, I don't give money to any website

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

It sold me to renew my membership on the 12th (although I was going to do that anyway...).

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Dylabaloo

I want to support something I think is awesome, I became a member as soon as it was available because they have given me so much laughs and content that I feel they have more than justified the 50 or so dollars I will pay every year. I really enjoyed the Live show and i'm sure that more varied subscriber will be ahoy every week from now on.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DonPixel

@Mystyr_E said:

I'll probably get it from people but no. Weird as it sounds, I don't give money to any website

So you prefer the fuck up synergy betewn Advertiser / Website you experience in sites like IGN or Cnet?

good game.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By kagato

I resubbed last night before any of the maddness began so yeah, all of the crazy stuff the do like the happy hours, the big live show and the various podcasts show me already that my money has been well spent. Personally i give them my money each year to keep them independant, to keep them from being bought up by some bigger corporation and their crazyness toned down, they dont really need to put a big show on for me to keep on subbing, they just need to keep doing exactly what they are doing.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#10  Edited By bobafettjm

I was already wanting to sub anyway. I would try and help them out even if there was no exclusive content as I love spending a lot of time working on the wiki and I don't want it to go away.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Edin899
@DonPixel said:

@RazielCuts: Ohh god this nonsense again. Just support Whiskey Media so we don't have advertiser's doing "editorial overviews" like they do on IGN, Gamespot or any other major videogame site HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND?

Totally bro because Giantbomb is the only site on the world with genuine people that will never lie to you. Everybody else is just evil !........................................................  :/  
RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RoyCampbell

Just a warning: prepare to get shit on en masse.

I'm just glad that I'm no longer going to have it blared in my face on the homepage or advertised before a video starts. The 30 second advertisements would break the video I wanted to watch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The SNES-athon sold me on being a monthy subscriber. This did not sell me on why I should renew after my first month though. I didn't see any new features that make it worth my time.

I would pay for more retro quick looks though like the snes stuff and random pc games. We'll see once my subscription expires later this month.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#14  Edited By alistercat

The live show is more to show the spirit of whiskey media, and what they are all about. I support for supports sake (and small stuff like the mobile site, HD video etc). Some users want them to make money through ads. They don't want that and neither do I. Keep the ads low and selective, and I'll pay to show I enjoy and approve of what they do.

dotpatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By dotpatrick

I think they really need a new pitch. The "give us money so we can keep doing dumb shit" is not really a great pitch. No I want to pay because the content is cool and relevant to my interests. My favourite segments on the BLLSL were the more well put together segments were the Whiskey Folks were leveraging their knowledge, personalities along with showing cool stuff. Why would anyone pay $50 to watch Will or Norm to shove hard boiled eggs in their mouths?

I will be subscribing this year, but it will be just to support the site because I think what they do with the free stuff is really awesome and worth $50 and not to help them keeping doing dumb shit.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DonPixel

@Edin899 said:

@DonPixel said:

Totally bro because Giantbomb is the only site on the world with genuine people that will never lie to you. Everybody else is just evil !........................................................ :/

Have you been hurt before, why are you so insecure? I trust in my judgement, I believe in what they doing as a website in a sea of internet crap so I support it because I can.

I prefer to pay $50 a year for a clean, polish, well designed, quality content site that being hurting my eyes in 5 pages reviews fill with verizon advertising.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RazielCuts
@Sooty said:

Dave Radio Show was why I subbed

See I've heard of that before but I'm not even sure what that is. I think they should of unlocked everything to non subs today, like the redphone and whatever else was going as 'This is your taste, you like it? Subscribe for more' it was a missed opportunity. Free to play model people.  
Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#18  Edited By Mystyr_E
@DonPixel: I don't care for IGN and I've never visited CNet. 
Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I didn't need to be sold since the site itself already sold me last year. I was just watching for entertainment.

The main stream started off really slow, but I was never bored because I had the behind the scenes stream to fall back on which was always entertaining. But then the main stream started picking up after the first Tested segment. Really fun show. 7 hours well spent.

tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tsiro

@ErinIsADrunksaid:

Why would anyone pay $50 to watch Will or Norm to shove hard boiled eggs in their mouths?

I'm not gonna lie, I would pay $50 to watch Will or Norm shove hard boiled eggs in their mouths.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ErinIsADrunk said:

I think they really need a new pitch. The "give us money so we can keep doing dumb shit" is not really a great pitch. No I want to pay because the content is cool and relevant to my interests. My favourite segments on the BLLSL were the more well put together segments were the Whiskey Folks were leveraging their knowledge, personalities along with showing cool stuff. Why would anyone pay $50 to watch Will or Norm to shove hard boiled eggs in their mouths? I will be subscribing this year, but it will be just to support the site because I think what they do with the free stuff is really awesome and worth $50 and not to help them keeping doing dumb shit.

Very good point on the initial pitch.

As others have said, as my initial dip in the subscriber-stuff, I really enjoy radio dave as well. Radio Dave and retro quick looks would make it worth it for me. But I can only catch Radio Dave when it is archived.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By gamb1t

I would but they seem so uptight.  especially on these boards. im not gunna pay to get fucked over.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Julmust

I see the show as more of a sign of appreciation from WM to the audience and that it's there to remind us of all the work they do every day and that they need funding for that to keep on going.

But maybe they should've told us about some subscriber features for the show, that might've won some sceptics over and made them subscribe.

I love these sites, and when it all comes down to it, 50$ for a whole year is a pretty good deal to me, I'd pay that for the basic stuff alone because there's so much content that I enjoy out every week. I go insane if I don't get my Bombcast on wednesday mornings and This Is Only A Test on friday mornings, so yeah, support the things that you love.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By babblinmule

I'm going to subscribe when I get my next paycheck (roll on the 30th!)

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GreggD

@gamb1t said:

I would but they seem so uptight. especially on these boards. im not gunna pay to get fucked over.

Who are you talking about? The staff, or the users?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RazielCuts
@ErinIsADrunk said:
I think they really need a new pitch. The "give us money so we can keep doing dumb shit" is not really a great pitch. No I want to pay because the content is cool and relevant to my interests. My favourite segments on the BLLSL were the more well put together segments were the Whiskey Folks were leveraging their knowledge, personalities along with showing cool stuff. Why would anyone pay $50 to watch Will or Norm to shove hard boiled eggs in their mouths? I will be subscribing this year, but it will be just to support the site because I think what they do with the free stuff is really awesome and worth $50 and not to help them keeping doing dumb shit.
Exactly! I really liked the Game Room videos Jeff did as they would talk about older games I might not of necessarily heard of, with historical context and memories from Jeffs childhood growing up with them and if they got the emulation wrong and what didn't feel right. That was interesting stuff. If they went more that route, education (with the laughs the GB crew brings) of forgotten games and systems I think that would be pretty cool to see.  

Also the random ass Eastern Europe PC games Dave plays, something I would know nothing about but its interesting to see. 
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Brians

@CaLe said:

I never became a subscriber for anything extra. I just wanted to support Giant Bomb, simple as that really. I don't need extra reasons.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dallas_Raines

If I wasn't already a subscriber madly in love with WM, then that bomb-ass Bruckner and Garcia song would have made me one.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By gamb1t
@GreggD said:

@gamb1t said:

I would but they seem so uptight. especially on these boards. im not gunna pay to get fucked over.

Who are you talking about? The staff, or the users?

the stiff staff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RazielCuts said:

@ErinIsADrunk said:
I think they really need a new pitch. The "give us money so we can keep doing dumb shit" is not really a great pitch. No I want to pay because the content is cool and relevant to my interests. My favourite segments on the BLLSL were the more well put together segments were the Whiskey Folks were leveraging their knowledge, personalities along with showing cool stuff. Why would anyone pay $50 to watch Will or Norm to shove hard boiled eggs in their mouths? I will be subscribing this year, but it will be just to support the site because I think what they do with the free stuff is really awesome and worth $50 and not to help them keeping doing dumb shit.
Exactly! I really liked the Game Room videos Jeff did as they would talk about older games I might not of necessarily heard of, with historical context and memories from Jeffs childhood growing up with them and if they got the emulation wrong and what didn't feel right. That was interesting stuff. If they went more that route, education (with the laughs the GB crew brings) of forgotten games and systems I think that would be pretty cool to see. Also the random ass Eastern Europe PC games Dave plays, something I would know nothing about but its interesting to see.

Ahhhh, I miss the Game Room videos. They should have a reunion for Game Room to give it some closure.

How many people would freak if they announced the next Endurance Run was subscriber-only?

Remember the split bombcast thing last year?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RE_Player1

It helped me make the decision to renew my yearly membership. Also Radio Dave is a big selling factor believe it or not.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By project343

@RazielCuts: I "membered" not for certain member-exclusive features, but because I love what this sisterhood of websites does. They've got a lot of fantastic people with wonderful ideas behind them, and I'd want nothing more than to support them. Giantbomb is my favourite website on the internet, and Tested is a close second. I pay them $50/year because they deserve it, and any other perks that come with such a price are exactly that: perks.

Quit being cheap, and support these dudes.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they got like 500+ new subscribers during the course of the day...... so yes

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GreggD

@TripMasterMunky said:

@RazielCuts said:

@ErinIsADrunk said:
Exactly! I really liked the Game Room videos Jeff did as they would talk about older games I might not of necessarily heard of, with historical context and memories from Jeffs childhood growing up with them and if they got the emulation wrong and what didn't feel right. That was interesting stuff. If they went more that route, education (with the laughs the GB crew brings) of forgotten games and systems I think that would be pretty cool to see. Also the random ass Eastern Europe PC games Dave plays, something I would know nothing about but its interesting to see.

Ahhhh, I miss the Game Room videos. They should have a reunion for Game Room to give it some closure.

You guys know that Jeff is doing a classic game appreciation series called the "Jeff Gerstmann Hall of Fame", right? That will be subscriber only, they mentioned it a few times in the past month.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cstrang

Just the BLLSL? Hell no. Partly because I was at work for most of it, partly because when I turned it on it was during the Tested segment where they were testing AsSeenOnTV shit. I don't really like Will in a "live" setting to begin with, and the segment itself was awful. So I promptly turned it off and starting playing video games instead.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Brians

Lately I have developed the opinion that I will support things I like that people do online Webcomics, some websites. Due to the fact that their is so much stuff out there that would bother me if I was less apathetic. I don't mind supporting people I do like. If people don't want to that is fine too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GreggD said:

@TripMasterMunky said:

@RazielCuts said:

@ErinIsADrunk said:

You guys know that Jeff is doing a classic game appreciation series called the "Jeff Gerstmann Hall of Fame", right? That will be subscriber only, they mentioned it a few times in the past month.

I heard him keep mentioning it, but never actually heard what it was about.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GaspoweR

To each his own.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

I missed it, what exactly did I miss? Other than Buckner and Garcia.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RE_Player1

@Brians said:

Lately I have developed the opinion that I will support things I like that people do online Webcomics, some websites. Due to the fact that their is so much stuff out there that would bother me if I was less apathetic. I don't mind supporting people I do like. If people don't want to that is fine too.

My thoughts exactly. I have a very small circle of likes. When it comes to music I don't listen to the radio or new songs, I pick a band or a song and latch onto them. Same thing goes for movies, shows and anime and Whiskey Media websites. Giant Bomb is my homepage and the rest of the Whiskey Media sites, except Comic Vine no diss to them I'm just not into comics at all, are basically my other most visited sites on the web. If I can support the content I like directly that not only helps ensure that content continues to get pumped out but I feel good about it too.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#41  Edited By jacksukeru

I did not expect to enjoy the BLLSL as much as I did, but I'm already a member and would still be regardless of the show.

But man, hearing you talk about it makes me imagine what watching it would have been like if, whenever a "less interesting" segment came up, I couldn't just turn down the volume on that stream and up on the other, or sometimes listen to a phonecall or two.

Much less fun, by far.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GreggD

@TripMasterMunky said:

@GreggD said:

@TripMasterMunky said:

@RazielCuts said:

I heard him keep mentioning it, but never actually heard what it was about.

Basically, it's games that he deems to be the cream of the crop, personally. I can only assume that he'll wax nostalgic during them, and give some insight into their history. And it will not start with the obvious stuff like Zelda, etc. Also, they've said that he'll record them from his home.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RazielCuts
@project343 said:

@RazielCuts: I "membered" not for certain member-exclusive features, but because I love what this sisterhood of websites does. They've got a lot of fantastic people with wonderful ideas behind them, and I'd want nothing more than to support them. Giantbomb is my favourite website on the internet, and Tested is a close second. I pay them $50/year because they deserve it, and any other perks that come with such a price are exactly that: perks.

Quit being cheap, and support these dudes.

Its not a factor of being cheap (but I am skint at the moment being a student) I probably will pay when I start working because I do feel like these guys are awesome and I want to support them as they have given me many laughs over the years. There's just no impact at the moment of me rushing out like 'oh man, I GOTTA subscribe now otherwise I'm gonna miss it!'  which is what I thought BLLSL was supposed to instill. 

The analogy I can make is if a friend of yours starts working for you. Yeah you're cool and you're friends but when they're working for you its different and they're only going to get paid because they produce good work not because they are your friend. They do good work already, yes they do. But thats what I'm friends with. if I'm paying for extra content shouldn't that content be of a certain standard to be worth paying for? 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't Swery supposed to be on the show? Or was that BS?

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Brians

@RazielCuts: You do realize if that was the case here then a lot of nonsubscribers might up and leave due to the feeling of alienation. Its a tricky situation I'd imagine.

RubberFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RubberFactory

I closed my eyes and hit subscribe, at first I said FUCK... but then I realized what I'd done and out came a ...YES!

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By KarlPilkington

The premium stream was better than the show at a lot of points.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NTM

I didn't watch it, but even if I did, it'd be just for fun. Sorry to say, but that's how it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If it didn't, nothing can.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RoyCampbell
@RazielCuts: Yeah dude, quit being cheap.

*rolls eyes*

If only things were that simple.