#1 Edited by indianajonze (9 posts) -

I was initially worried about how EA, Ubisoft and Activision would respond to the "shot across the bow" at the sony conference. Would they move to align themselves more closely with Microsoft? It only made sense from a business standpoint...at least that was the initial estimation. Now COO of EA Peter Moore is stating that, despite industry talk, he never even approached microsoft with the idea of DRM on consoles. so whats going on? has Sony struck a blow for gamers and opponents of DRM? is this just smoke and mirrors for now until things die down a bit? has the industry heard gamers and put their plans for killing used game sales on hold?

Me personally? I Hope so. I for one have no stake in this battle. I want both consoles to move to day1 digital. I have a 3 year old, so the idea of having games on my system, with no breakable disks is worth it's weight in gold. Also time is a commodity for me, so any amount of it I DON'T have to spend in front of the counter at gamestop being sold on pre-orders is awesome as well. If a kid has a limited budget to work with, why shouldn't he be able to leverage his used games towards buying new ones? it can only help the publishers.

If they really wanted to kill used game sales...heres the one way to really do it. Make Day1 Digital 39.99 a title.

#2 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

Hi, welcome to the site!

EA can do what they want, they're a business, they want to make money. We get it. If the answer was to lower prices on new releases, they'd do it.

#3 Edited by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

When Sony said what they did at their press conference, they did so in a way that has manipulated publishers to not put DRM on Sony consoles. By creating the enormous fanfare they did, any publisher that says they're going to do it on the PS4 is going to be immediately chastised.

It was a very smart play by Sony and you'll see all the publishers saying they never pushed for DRM to ride that love train Sony is heading.

#5 Posted by indianajonze (9 posts) -

When Sony said what they did at their press conference, they did so in a way that has manipulated publishers to not put DRM on Sony consoles. By creating the enormous fanfare they did, any publisher that says they're going to do it on the PS4 is going to be immediately chastised.

It was a very smart play by Sony and you'll see all the publishers saying they never pushed for DRM to ride that love train Sony is heading.

agreed. but what do you think the publishers are saying to microsoft behind closed doors right now?

#6 Posted by pandorasbox (303 posts) -

What EA do and what EA say they do are almost never inline. I don't really see why Microsoft would make this up, considering that they would only reap a very small profit off of the sale of new games if they managed to destroy the used games market.

Chances are, even if EA didn't go to microsoft for this DRM solution, many other publishers were. EA may have been fine with their previous DRM solution (online passes).

#7 Posted by alternate (2702 posts) -

I believe them. BTW Sim City was nothing to do with DRM. Power of the cloud.

#8 Edited by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

I believe them.

#9 Posted by ProfessorEss (7361 posts) -

...and I don't believe any of them.

#10 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

EA did DRM before it was cool.

#11 Edited by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@samstrife said:

agreed. but what do you think the publishers are saying to microsoft behind closed doors right now?

Well that's the million dollar question. I would like to think that companies are starting to wise up and understand that a good experience is what retains players, not bullshit DRM.

#12 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@samstrife said:

Well that's the million dollar question. I would like to think that companies are starting to wise up and understand that a good experience is what retains players, not bullshit DRM.

#13 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2768 posts) -

I don't believe EA at all. I think they are working just as they always have done with multiple plans in place and plans for even other types of DRM in the future. They created Project $10. They had their hand in SimCity for sure, a hidden DRM that was not called DRM stinks of EA. Sure, Maxis itself said it was behind the server plans and checking...but it stunk like a backroom deal. I'm sure there are probably no e-mails, memos or phone calls to link EA, but they had a hand in it. Never forget the name Lucy Bradshaw, she lied to gamers about SImCIty, she led the cover-up, and when caught in lies about SImCity she kept lying. Remember that name, Lucy Bradshaw. Notice how she never blogged again after March 2013, yet she still at EA/Maxis. If you hear that name again prepare to be lied to about Maxis games & DRM.

EA will keep chipping away at DRM schemes. They will do it until we accept something that they can use to tear our other right away.

#14 Edited by Wraxend (564 posts) -

@indianajonze said:

@samstrife said:

I wouldn't be surprised if down the line they reintroduce the online pass again.

#15 Edited by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

I say bullshit. If people weren't paying attention EA seemed to be really integrated in the Microsoft conference as well as the Xbone reveal. Why? Why when, for the past two or so years, they've been featured at Sony's conferences almost exclusively. This whole thing stinks of them, Ubisoft a little bit because of their PC policies that they reneged on, and shockingly not a whole hell of a lot like Activision. For a long time Activision didn't take part in Project $10, and I still think they don't. Gamestop and EA. It stinks of them

All this is is some attempt to try vindicate themselves and make themselves out to be the "Hey, we're the good guy. Yeah. Wooo. PS4. Wooo. Yeah. Wooo. Wooo......" guys. I like to think people can see through their shit like the crystal clear waters on a Caribbean beach. We have no reason to trust a single word EA says. They are not trustworthy. It's EA and Peter Moore, they're about as trustworthy as AIDS. End of story.

#16 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -

There was a rumor that came out of Neogaf that Microsoft was the one who came up with all the DRM stuff, and that publishers didn't really have anything to do with it. That's why Sony didn't end up copying the MS DRM plan like everyone said would happen.

#17 Edited by THRICE_604 (210 posts) -

EA is trying to tacitly cover up them pushing for DRM by saying they were not "aggressively" pushing for DRM. I think they were in talks with both and Microsoft gave in and Sony probably was non-committal about the whole thing till the intensely negative reaction building up over months. Everyone not having a prepared response and saying they have to go back to the office and discuss is the publishers admitting they were totally caught off guard by the announcement. Good on Sony for either sticking to their guns if they were against it in the first place or actually listening to consumer feedback. Either of those is something rarely seen in a multi-billion dollar corporation selling a product.

#18 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

And every company involved in PRISM said "What? We've never heard of that!" only to have the government go "Yeah, that exists and they're involved."

#19 Posted by toschi2222 (45 posts) -

Hmm, maybe publishers were just unhappy with the xbox being a pirate paradise... There are many people who have a cracked xbox and burned games so MS did something more drastical about it with the account based online system.

At the end of the day we will probably not know for many years who approached who and what was really said and may only speculate :/

#20 Edited by Nezza (358 posts) -

If people are buying used title at near launch dates for what $10-$15 less then full retail and this is what is annoying the publishers.

Then surely there is an argument that lowering launch day digital prices to match that price, will convert a more than significant number of used game purchasers into buying from them instead of a retailer. Same with catalogue titles, which must surely be borne out but the success of Steam sales (as in discount sales) on PC.

That's if it's truly about reclaiming profits lost to retailers selling used titles.

#21 Posted by ProfessorEss (7361 posts) -

...and then everyone will moan about how they were betrayed when Sony, EA and all the other guys finally start implementing their assorted PS4 DRM schemes.