get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

From Kotaku:

According to several sources, The Cut Scene is reporting that Sony are set to unveil a new motion-sensing controller, perhaps as soon as E3 next month.

The controller - which reportedly uses "small LEDs" and a "small webcam" to track the players' movement - is apparently similar in function to the Wii Remote, though because it can register "different color lights and the shape and angle of each light", it will be more accurate.

Of course, this isn't the first time we've heard rumours of a new motion-sensing controller from Sony.

According to The Cut Scene's sources, this controller is a close match in function, if not in form, to the one described in this patent, though from the sounds of it it's also making use of technology found in this one as well.

E3, for reference, is only a month away.

:\

The first thing about this is: Sony are instantly going to be hit with the "copy-cat" label. Which is not the best label to have if you're trying to launch a new product. I suppose you could argue that Eye Toy made the first delve into the whole "motion-casual-gaming" lark but... There's no way this is going to be treated as anything less than imitation - Sony must realise that.

Having said that, total scepticism aside; it would be interesting in some ways to see what Sony would do with a motion controller. They have claimed they are after the "casual" market something which I personally don't believe they can ever achieve, given the price of the system and the fact it can NEVER compete with the Wii on a price level.

I dunno man. On one hand I am totally, erm, curious to see what the Playstation 3 (or 360) would do with motion sensing technology. On the other hand I'm a bit, like, well I don't play my Wii much for a reason. :\

I guess so long as Sony continue to deliver the God Of War's and what not it's all gravy though. I'm sure they will, Playstation is well known for having the most diverse of lineups.

Alas... Sony have shown off all their previously announced games (MAG, etc) to the press in order to give journos more time for... Well presumably E3 announcements.

It's all totally rumour but I wouldn't surprised if we saw "PS3 Sports". Wouldn't it be interesting if Microsoft announced a motion-controller too?
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Am I the only one who prefers buttons over motion controls or touch screens?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool
TooWalrus said:
"Am I the only one who prefers buttons over motion controls or touch screens?"
I am sure the answer is no.

I massively prefer the Wiimote over anything I have used before.  I would never willingly go back if given the choice.

As for Sony, does that mean that they are turning their backs on the core gamers?  Well, no, that would be a stupid thing to say, just as I believe it is stupid to say that about Nintendo.  All this simply does is consolidate the fact that Nintendo got it right.

I agree with Sammy that Sony is in the wrong market for this now.  If they think they can bring back a lot of the PS2 market or take those from Nintendo, they are deranged.  They should continue the focus they have and look to lower the console price.  I didn't buy a Wii for the casual games and I certainly won't be tempted to get a PS3 for them either.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By get2sammyb
TooWalrus said:
You're not. I agree. Whilst I got the urge to play Wii Sports yesterday, 25 minutes and I was done, sitting on my ass playing Mario Kart with a Classic Controller.

oldschool said:
I agree with Sammy that Sony is in the wrong market for this now.  If they think they can bring back a lot of the PS2 market or take those from Nintendo, they are deranged.  They should continue the focus they have and look to lower the console price.  I didn't buy a Wii for the casual games and I certainly won't be tempted to get a PS3 for them either."
I'm curious as to what they think they can offer more than anything. If they DO have something like this in mind, it will be really interesting to see how/what they're going to launch it with. There is the slim potential that they might have come up with something really clever for the technology but I'm not exactly going to hold my breath -- particularly when I'm at a loss of even trying to come up with an idea for myself on what they could have developed.

Sony have lots of super clever teams, but I just can't think of what they could come up with for this that hasn't already been attempted on the Wii.

Of course it's still all speculation -- and even if it is real it probably will only get supported in the odd few games.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By get2sammyb

There's some suggestion of Sony's technology working a little like this:

I don't understand it all though so, I guess we'll see.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

Where's that 'suggestion' from?

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Jensonb

If they do this, it's like going onstage and saying  "We made the wrong product. Whoops...Our bad!"

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By TheKidNixon

Maybe I missed something...

But doesn't the PS3 already HAVE a motion-controller built into their STANDARD controller?

There are several issues with this move for Sony. As others have said, its an obvious grab for "Oh hey, we can do that whole Wii thing too." But more importantly, it seems to miss the multiple reasons the Wii is succeeding in the marketplace: the price point, the family friendly veneer, the sense that you don't have to be a "gamer" (with whatever stigma that carries with it) to enjoy games. The Wii succeeded because instead of playing the old crowd, it found a new crowd. Sony can't recreate, especially if their product is still as expensive as it is. Adding a remote you wave around isn't the magic missing ingredient.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OmegaPirate
Jensonb said:
"If they do this, it's like going onstage and saying  "We made the wrong product. Whoops...Our bad!""
Which is pretty much what microsoft did with last years NXE
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crunchUK
TooWalrus said:
You sir, are correct. after the novelty fades motion controls is just a quest to get them to be as effective as buttons

also

OmegaPirate said:
"Jensonb said:
"If they do this, it's like going onstage and saying  "We made the wrong product. Whoops...Our bad!""
"

...wat
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OmegaPirate
crunchUK said:
"TooWalrus said:
You sir, are correct. after the novelty fades motion controls is just a quest to get them to be as effective as buttons

also

OmegaPirate said:
"Jensonb said:
"
...wat"
Not in a harsh way - i pretty much agree with penny arcades take on last years E3 :- http://penny-arcade.com/2008/7/16/

However i'll copy the line out for which i made my stement on :-

"There are a total of two interesting, relevant announcements from these three presentations combined. The first is that Microsoft has decided, three years into the system's lifespan, that they made the wrong console. Without warning, in the middle of a presentation jutting with skewers of sizzling beef for the faithful, the entire edifice devolved into a series of gruesome outtakes from the fucking Today Show. They have seen the future, and it is the past. To that end, they have committed to a radical alteration of the user experience. I have no idea what to make of it yet, and the product as shown is in turbulent flux: this single walkthrough clearly shows as many as three versions of the future Dashboard. Gabriel tells me that the Avatars are alright. I don't know."
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Vinchenzo
OmegaPirate said:
"Jensonb said:
"
Not.... really. In fact, not at all.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OmegaPirate
Vinchenzo said:
"OmegaPirate said:
"Jensonb said:
"
Not.... really. In fact, not at all."
I'll redirect you to the post above yours mate with the explanation -then maybe instead of just saying  -No - you may give me an explanation as to why you disagree?
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pibo47

For fucks sake. First MS not Sony??? Wow guys.....

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By CenturionCajun

Sony continues to boggle my mind with their approach to things this generation. They have gone from the undisputed leader in the video game industry to lagging behind. Let me list the three things that make the least sense to me:
1. The quest for motion controls.
2. The premise that we are all going to go out and buy their new 3D televisions to play the mythical Gran Turismo 5.
3. Playstation Home.

All three of these seem to me like Sony sitting in a mud pit gassing the engine convinced if they just push hard enough it'll work.

1. The motion sensing thing failed miserably at launch. Just look at the first version of Lair built completely with motion controls. It was uncontrollable garbage. Since then the Dualshock 3 has replaced the Sixaxis and motion controls have been relegated to novelties and not core game controls.
2. They are working towards a situation where in a bad economy people would have to go out and buy a brand new television in order to get the most out of games. Even when the economy improves again I don't see this being a very popular, or ultimately profitable, situation.
3. I don't even know what to say about Home. It just seems to me like Sony wanted to push what they had out the door just to show it exists. It is completely forgettable and nothing like the essential online experience they hyped it to be.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By penguindust
TheKidNixon said:
"Maybe I missed something...But doesn't the PS3 already HAVE a motion-controller built into their STANDARD controller?
I'm as confused as you are.  I guess this is a re-do?
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By get2sammyb
Al3xand3r said:
"Where's that 'suggestion' from?"
Terrible forum sources. But the people used fancy wording. I think they're getting the idea from the fact that this Sony thing is said to work with a webcam and is capable of distinguishing motions on the Z-axis or something.

God knows.
ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I hope this is just a rumor, I like the PS3 controller the way it is. The current controller is a nice mix of motion control and a regular controller.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OmegaPirate

lol, if both of these rumours are indeed true, a few posts in this thread are going to look prett-ty dumb xD (mine included)

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TwoOneFive

it wont matter if sony gets hit with the copy cat label, as long as it looks as interesting to the mindless nongamers who bought wii's, they will have this plus the blu-ray player to swade them into buyng a ps3 now. i dont care two shits about this but i bet it sells well

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r
get2sammyb said:
"Al3xand3r said:
"Where's that 'suggestion' from?"
Terrible forum sources. But the people used fancy wording. I think they're getting the idea from the fact that this Sony thing is said to work with a webcam and is capable of distinguishing motions on the Z-axis or something.God knows."
Why wouldn't they just use the eyetoy thing then? Or whatever the PS3 version is called.
NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NukeGoBoom

Its probably gonna be related to the Eye Toy brand or be very simmiliar.
Anyway Waggle Wands dont help system.The Wii isnt AS revolutionary as people give it credit but it helps the industry more than any other controller.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Jensonb
TwoOneFive said:
"it wont matter if sony gets hit with the copy cat label, as long as it looks as interesting to the mindless nongamers who bought wii's, they will have this plus the blu-ray player to swade them into buyng a ps3 now. i dont care two shits about this but i bet it sells well"
Add-ons rarely sell well, and the few that do are tied to very specific experiences.

Besides which, why would anyone pay the massive amount of money necessary for this when they can just get a Wii? These are the kinds of consumers who looked at Blu-Ray and went "Huh?"
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
TooWalrus said:
No I hate motion controls specially when they are just tacked on, motion controls will never be as accurate as button and analog and neither will touch screen.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Diamond

There were a bunch of 360 Wiimote rumors before last E3 too.  I'm going to bet there will be no such thing.  It's just too hard to distribute an extra completely different peripheral and have developers support it well.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Karmum
TooWalrus said:
I'm with you, probably perhaps I'm so used to using buttons.