So, finally made my Preorder choice.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I went up to Gamestop today to finally preorder my next gen console. I went with PS4 because I just generally want it more than Xbox One, even though I will still end up with both eventually. When I was talking to the guy there, apparently Sony was very generous with the amount of preorders available, and Xbox One sold out several times. So does that basically mean they are unsure how many PS4's they wanna make for launch, because to me it seems that they are allowing a lot, and it probably won't be super rare this holiday season.

Also, has anyone else preordered a next gen console yet, or am I part of the insane group?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

For me I'm going to wait. I don't see any reason for me get it right off the bat..

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

I've preordered both because neither cost me anything and it secures me a spot for a day one console. I'm pretty sure I'll cancel the Xbox One though, at least I was until they reversed half the shitty decisions they had made.

Either way I'll end up with both at some point.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the wrong place to ask whether anyone has pre-ordered a next-gen system yet. From everything I've heard Sony is farther ahead in production than Microsoft so they're taking a lot more pre-orders than Microsoft. I still expect them to sell out come holiday time just maybe with Sony selling more units than microsoft.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I placed my PS4 pre-order early on February 21st, not caring much about launch titles, only knowing I wanted to get it ASAP with how much pleasure the PS3 ended up giving me.

In a recent interview, GameStop was said to have gone "we'll buy all the PS4s you can make" to Sony, and Sony seems to have complied. Appears they get a weekly memo of how many more launch units they can allocate, same goes for Amazon (some get upgraded to launch, like). Xbox One production and allocation may take a different approach or they're simply not being produced to the same degree.

Doubt we're going to see anything close to Wii levels of selling out (ie gone in areas with large populations, available in the middle of nowheres) unless some major surprise titles come August or September, but in case surprises come they're going to be for the PS4; Sony's sending devkits to any dev that has a decent looking title.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JouselDelka

Or... you could wait for the two products to be out and then purchase one after making sure its the right one for you based on whatever factors that matter to you? You know, like, buying something when it's out after seeing the public feedback and reaction, since you're paying money for it?

Nah I'm talking crazy, give the company the money before the thing is released :)

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The thread title makes this feel like draft season.

Players picking their new teams for the next stand-off :D

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or... you could wait for the two products to be out and then purchase one after making sure its the right one for you based on whatever factors that matter to you? You know, like, buying something when it's out after seeing the public feedback and reaction, since you're paying money for it?

Nah I'm talking crazy, give the company the money before the thing is released :)

Wow, the level of smugness in this comment is off the charts.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GaspoweR

@somejerk said:

I placed my PS4 pre-order early on February 21st, not caring much about launch titles, only knowing I wanted to get it ASAP with how much pleasure the PS3 ended up giving me.

In a recent interview, GameStop was said to have gone "we'll buy all the PS4s you can make" to Sony, and Sony seems to have complied. Appears they get a weekly memo of how many more launch units they can allocate, same goes for Amazon (some get upgraded to launch, like). Xbox One production and allocation may take a different approach or they're simply not being produced to the same degree.

Doubt we're going to see anything close to Wii levels of selling out (ie gone in areas with large populations, available in the middle of nowheres) unless some major surprise titles come August or September, but in case surprises come they're going to be for the PS4; Sony's sending devkits to any dev that has a decent looking title.

Which actually makes me worry a bit for the X1's projections. This is just all speculation but Sony being compliant with Pre-orders more so than MS plus being able to send out dev kits to more devs might indicate problems with X1's own dev kits/console that they are not even confident in sending them out en masse to a lot of developers. That in itself seems a lot more troublesome than whatever else they have going on. If MS starts rushing out Xboxes in order to meet demand, this could possibly lead to another set of failed consoles ALA RROD.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OGinOR

You're not crazy at all. I pre-ordered my Xbox One immediately after the Sony E3 conference and can't wait for it to show up in November. Both of these consoles are going to be hard to find during the launch window, so a pre-order makes sense if you don't want to have to wait regardless of which one of the new consoles is 'for you'.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By rjayb89

@jsnyder82 said:

@jouseldelka said:

Or he could be smart in avoiding technical issues that plagued the launch 360s, and the PS3 to some degree. Hell, even the Wii U had that odd Blue Light of Death thing going for it for awhile. Yes, even Nintendo had problems when I've had a functional SNES and N64 for over fifteen or ten years now. Don't know how that Blue Light thing turned out, but it was certainly less prevalent than the 360's Red Ring of Death.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oginor: my local gamestop does not think their chain will have enough PS4 to give everyone. And suspect some people will have to wait up to a month.

This is based on some stores taking so many orders their store rooms can't hold them and that Sony might not make/ship enough.

They assured me that I can get my X1 day one. But that is mostly because MS has put a hard limit on them at the moment.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I have been playing a lot of PS3 and PS2 so I decided to preorder PS4. The last system I bought at launch was PS2.

I love the dualshock design and most of the launch titles are games I'll never be able to run on my PC that I want to play like BF4 and Watchdogs so that's enough to validate my purchase.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jsnyder82

@rjayb89 said:

@jsnyder82 said:

@jouseldelka said:

Or he could be smart in avoiding technical issues that plagued the launch 360s, and the PS3 to some degree. Hell, even the Wii U had that odd Blue Light of Death thing going for it for awhile. Yes, even Nintendo had problems when I've had a functional SNES and N64 for over fifteen or ten years now. Don't know how that Blue Light thing turned out, but it was certainly less prevalent than the 360's Red Ring of Death.

Smugness is smugness. He didn't have to comment in this thread, but he just had to let the OP know how much smarter he was than him.

Also, I just don't see how pre-ordering is such a bad thing. I mean, some people are inevitably going to have to buy these things at launch, or they're going to be considered massive failures. If anything, you should thank the early adopters.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By Levio

@jouseldelka said:

We're gonna need a bigger chart.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well uh, good for you?

I'm personally not planning to pre-order either console. If I choose to get one on launch (and it is very tempting) I'll just have to do the old launch day camping experience.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll get a Ps4. MIght wait a bit though, to make sure there are no early woes.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#19  Edited By sarahsdad

FWIW, I put in a pre-order for a PS4 a couple of days after the announcements of features and pricing at E3. I was already leaning towards a PS4 after seeing the early MS announcements and feeling like I wasn't the target market for what they were selling any more. The lower price on the PS4, plus some of the exclusives, plus having what seems like a friendlier attitude towards smaller devs really pushed me over the edge, though.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something tells me I'll end up with both, but neither this year.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I'm buying an XONE. I feel pretty good about it.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaos_cracker: I preordered both from Best Buy's site for in-store pickup the moment they became available during their respective press conferences.

General consensus based off allotment #s is that there are anecdotally way less XBO's available for preorder than there are PS4. The crew talked about this slightly on this week's bombcast, and there has been rumors flying around about yield problems on the XBO. Supposedly the yield problems are from the ESRAM/APU combo chip they're trying to build to counteract their ram bandwith sluggishness. (Rather, sluggishness compared to PS4). When I talked with some Best Buy folks while picking up The Last of Us, they were also stating that they had substantially more in-store and in-store pickup preoders for the PS4 than the XBO. However, that was before Microsoft's policy switch, so who knows.

I think both will end up being fine systems. It seems that the PS4 has a noticeable presell lead over the XBO, but who knows, I don't have hard numbers or confirmed sources. It's hopefully going to be an interesting generation.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know pre-ordering from Amazon is free, right? Then you only have to make a buying decision about a week before release.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've already pre-paid for my PS4. Now who's the insane one? BURN WITH ME.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I haven't put money down for either. I might this weekend though.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rumors have said that the development of the Xbox One was behind, here's hoping they don't rush it out only to break.