So... now what?

#3 Posted by jjnen (659 posts) -

Let's go to space?

#4 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -
@AlexanderSheen said:

So... now what?

Knives for days.
#5 Posted by CheapPoison (708 posts) -

I won't be happy till Valve is bigger then apple!

I think this is actually great news. Best news even.

#6 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Doesn't really come as a surprise that the guy behind the biggest digital distribution platform in the world might be loaded.

#7 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1123 posts) -

That's a lot of knives.

#8 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I always tend to hate on corporations and rich people but I'll be damned if this man hasn't proven that he deserves every goddamn penny he has. 

More power to him.

#9 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2072 posts) -

He could buy a lot of TF2 hats

#10 Posted by Village_Guy (2409 posts) -

He is going to buy the biggest fucking knife in the world with that money.

#11 Posted by Jadeskye (4359 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

So... now what?

Knives for days.

Yes.

#12 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

he probably hosts the best parties

#13 Posted by Shirogane (3561 posts) -

@thedj93 said:

he probably hosts the best parties

Man, those would be some great parties, how many thousand PCs do you think there would be networked together? Probably all playing Dota2.

#14 Posted by RagingLion (1362 posts) -

But he doesn't have it in cash. He'd only have that money if he sold his stake in Valve.

Nevertheless I'm sure he has a decent amount of money and I'm delighted at his success and that of Valve.

#15 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

@Shirogane: like this but with more post-social-reject-cum-geniuses drunk off their FUCKIN ass!

#16 Posted by Sjupp (1901 posts) -

Oh Gabe, you so rich.

#17 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

Sounds about right.

#18 Posted by optimusprime223 (395 posts) -

I wonder if the notion of buying a celebrity entered his head? he could do it...

#19 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

So... now what?

Knives for days.

Replace the moon with a moon-size knife!

#20 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@SomeDeliCook said:

He could buy a lot of TF2 hats

Dear god!
#21 Posted by Korwin (2721 posts) -

Amazing how much money there is to be made in making things that don't suck.

#22 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1722 posts) -

Remember us Gaben..when you're up there on the big stage...how we used to roll together.. 

#23 Posted by MattyFTM (14244 posts) -

He has enough money to make genetically modified lemmings to answer his email for him. That's rich.

Although, does having non-liquid assets valued at over $1 billion actually make someone a billionaire? I mean, I would only classify someone as a billionaire if they had that much in cash and/or liquid assets. Owning a company worth that much doesn't really make you a billionaire, does it?

#24 Posted by MacEG (249 posts) -

@CheapPoison said:

I won't be happy till Valve is bigger then apple!

YES

#25 Posted by Moncole (636 posts) -

I read about this yesterday, and thats awesome.

#26 Posted by amir90 (2134 posts) -

Has he started to donate? :)

From what I know, he wasn't all that rich when he started so, I am not "mad". :)

#27 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1423 posts) -

@MattyFTM: This is always my hangup. Its 1.5 billion theoretical dollars. The company's worth is just an estimate and its not like he's going to up and sell every single share that he owns. Though I imagine if he puts out a dividend he's going to be receiving a good portion of that Valve cashflow.

#28 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

What worth is 1.5 billion dollars, when your country has a debt of 16 trillion(!) dollars?

#29 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

You guys are all missing the big picture.

Gabe Newell can actually afford RENTING OUT THE ENTIRE STAPLES CENTER.

He's going to have the sweetest E3 party ever!

#30 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2661 posts) -

This has been known for quite some time. Nothing new here. He was in Forbes about it last year.

@GunnBjorn said:

What worth is 1.5 billion dollars, when your country has a debt of 16 trillion(!) dollars?

1.5 Billion.

#31 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -
@MattBodega said:

Think of all the knives he could store there!
#32 Posted by isomeri (1172 posts) -

I'm not surprised at all.

#33 Posted by JasonR86 (9379 posts) -

...and?

#34 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

@GunnBjorn said:

I would say it's worth about 1.5 billion.

#35 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -
@Simplexity said:

Doesn't really come as a surprise that the guy behind the biggest digital distribution platform in the world might be loaded.

So...you're under the impression that Gabe is the guy "behind" iTunes?
#36 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

@MattBodega said:

I LOL'd

#37 Posted by Dany (7886 posts) -

If Lorax taught me anything is that corporations are evil and Newel is an asshole who sells shit while sheeples buy them.

#38 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@AlwaysBeClothing said:

@MattyFTM: This is always my hangup. Its 1.5 billion theoretical dollars. The company's worth is just an estimate and its not like he's going to up and sell every single share that he owns. Though I imagine if he puts out a dividend he's going to be receiving a good portion of that Valve cashflow.

There are no billionairs in the world that actually have that amount of money lying around in cash, think of the tax you would have to pay on that. Of course it is invested into companies, real estate and what have you. Yes, it makes it a little theoretical, but in this case I think it's pretty accurate.

#39 Edited by TehBuLL (570 posts) -

I would go to ValveCon 2012.

*edit* Hell, they could call it SteamCon and invite everyone else and just take over this whole gaming convention scene.

#40 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1295 posts) -

Produce the biggest knife convention ever.

#41 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4671 posts) -

@xobballox said:

@ajamafalous said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

So... now what?

Knives for days.

Replace the moon with a moon-size knife!

Then how gonna Newt Gingrich build his Moon base? Built in the handle of the knife, maybe?

#42 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

@MattBodega said:

#43 Posted by louiedog (2331 posts) -

Is that just from Valve? Imagine if he started selling his knives on channel 773 at 1 AM on Saturday.

#44 Posted by Jaytow (673 posts) -

He should pull all of his resources and put it all into creating portal technology.

#45 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@GunnBjorn said:

1.5 Billion.

Corrrectomundo
#46 Edited by Benny (1937 posts) -

@jozzy said:

@AlwaysBeClothing said:

There are no billionairs in the world that actually have that amount of money lying around in cash, think of the tax you would have to pay on that. Of course it is invested into companies, real estate and what have you. Yes, it makes it a little theoretical, but in this case I think it's pretty accurate.

Yes, all rich list types don't actually have their net worth in cash but rather tied up in stock and assets etc. (oil barons, tech companies that sort of thing.)

If he sold his share of the business tomorrow though, I reckon he could get double that value for his shares easily, the year on year growth of valve is insane. There are only about 250 people working there too so the overhead is extremely low compared to apple, microsoft etc. Much more profit per head, even though apple is worth 100 times more than valve.

Good for him and the company, just goes to show how keeping the customers best interests in mind compared to some, lets say less popular companies can work too.

#47 Posted by nobull6 (238 posts) -

Most of his net worth is on paper. He won't see those billions until he sells his shares in the company.

#48 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

So... now what?

Knives for days.

He can now buy all the knives