• 128 results
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Animasta

I got halfway through and just got bored.

while I'm actually going through Resonance of Fate right now for the second time vOv

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By ch13696

JRPG's aren't dead. Just like, as much as we wish it, anime isn't dead. JRPG's don't make as much money in the US as Western RPG's, but they still make money.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I think Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, The world end with you, and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7 are great.
joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By joey

*cough* 

Avatar image for chickengeorgewashington
chickengeorgewashington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I think it's a stretch to say anything like this is "dying"; so long as something turns a profit, people are buying them and they aren't going away. The biggest thing that has happened is that there has been a shift of interest in the west as to what kind of games are preferred, and they are simply no longer "blockbuster popular" around these parts. But hyperbole makes for exciting and dramatic reading, so phrases like DEAD and THE END OF (insert word here) will continue indefinitely. Besides, who cares what's popular or if anything is "dying" anyway? Like what you want to like and dislike what you want to dislike, and don't let anyone try to force you to do otherwise.  

As for what games to play, well... I have to admit I barely play RPGs these days, and when I do it's generally something old that I've played through a million times before. So I'm in no position to recommend anything, ha ha ha. I guess that kind of makes my whole post pointless, doesn't it?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#56  Edited By Hailinel
@joey:  I want to play that game for the sheer novelty factor.  It's such a ridiculous premise I'm surprised that no one else has actually tried it yet.
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#57  Edited By StarvingGamer
@shadykx125: Personally I hated Lost Odyssey's art style, and the combat system seemed pretty shallow as well for the eight hours I played that game.

But I wholeheartedly recommend Tales of Vesperia and Valkyria Chronicles.  Valkyria Chronicles especially is one of my favorite games of all time.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Hailinel
@StarvingGamer said:
" @shadykx125: Personally I hated Lost Odyssey's art style, and the combat system seemed pretty shallow as well for the eight hours I played that game. But I wholeheartedly recommend Tales of Vesperia and Valkyria Chronicles.  Valkyria Chronicles especially is one of my favorite games of all time. "
There's only one thing I don't like about Valkyria Chronicles, and that's Mission 7.  God damn that Super Tank.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By Turambar

By "JRPGs are dead", Giantbomb essentially means "Final Fantasy no longer interests me." for the most part.

Between the Shin Megami Franchise, the Tales franchise, Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata, and the myriad of more niche titles Atlus and NIS puts out, I'd say the genre is far from dead.  And of course that's simply the titles I have personal interests in.  Plenty of others from within the last few years exist as well.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By PixelPrinny

Yay, it's that time of month again! When someone posts the same ol' "Are JRPGs dead? GB seems to think so!" thread rather than bumping one of the 30 or so that already exist! 

If you'll allow me to be a pompous ass for a moment -- *ahems* If you were such a big fan of the genre, you'd have played more than Lost Odyssey. I'd run down a rather plentiful list of recent JRPGs that come to mind but come on, this is a video game database website. Do some fucking research.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#61  Edited By StarvingGamer
@Hailinel: I just used save crawling to get an A on every mission, took forever though.

Oh yeah and Catherine!  Did anyone say that yet?  Probably huh.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#62  Edited By ArbitraryWater

JRPGs aren't dead. Regardless of the fact that you or I could probably care less about 90% of what comes out, there are people who do. To be fair, most of those people live in Japan and the rest lurk on internet forums to reprimand you for being so insolent, but Final Fantasy XIII still sold like gangbusters in the west. Are JRPGs at their strongest point? Hell no. But they aren't dead the way that point and click adventures or 2D fighters used to be prior to the Telltale Renaissance/Street Fighter IV.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By Brendan

Lost Odyssey had a decent story, but they made the battles so drawn out and boring I couldn't finish the game.  It was even worse than Blue Dragon making you sit through the scenery shots before every single battle.  Both those game could learn a lot from the new Golden Sun game, which realizes when you're mashing the A button to get the battle over with faster, and actually speeds up the combat for you.  Forward thinking right there.
Ayofiddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Ayofiddy

i don't think they're dead its just that , the jrpg genre's fan base isn't really growing,  what I took away from the podcast is that  the people buying them,  are the ones who grew up with them on the older consoles.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65  Edited By Dalai

I don't think the genre is dead. If anything, it's stagnant.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By dragonzord

JRPGs aren't dead. They're all on the handhelds. 

Infinite Space 
Dragon Quest 9 
Strange Journey 
Oath in Felghana(technically an action rpg but whatever) 

good stuff

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By l4wd0g
@Lautaro said:
" Apart from P4 and them not hating Recettear can someone name a JRPG that the staff liked (recently) ?  "
Wasn't P4 on the PS2?
Redharlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Redharlow

I enjoyed Lost Odyssey but the developers need to stop throwing in annoying characters. Seriously Cooke and Mack were the most ANNOYING CHARACTERS. The voice acting only made them more obnoxious. The writing for their characters and whoever did costume design for them must be blind and deaf. Terrible. But as long as Atlus keeps cranking good Persona titles we should be ok. But those are more like JSIMRPGS.
Sinkwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Sinkwater
@l4wd0g:  Yeah but it came out in 2008, so it would still classify as recently.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By artofwar420

I think they mean creatively defunct.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By subject2change

The GiantBomb crew is small and have a very limited pallet. Double the staff and you will have guys fighting saying its still very much alive like some of the posts here. It comes down to what game niche you fit into. If you are a heavy JRPG player you will find some of the smaller unnoticed titles appealing while people focused on say mainstream games will not. Stop taking everything that a GiantBomb member states as a fact, they are opinions and sometimes opinions from closed minded individuals (mainly directing this towards Jeff at times). Right now is not a time for JRPGs, people are still in that 3rd person action/shooter mode and in due time people will remember what they missed and go back to it when a big title comes out and re-introduces them to it. FFXIII had that opportunity but failed to deliver according to most. Persona 4 ER helped sparked many people into playing that game with its traditional JRPG combat system and very Japanese story. Give it a few years and you'll be raving over some JRPG or JRPG style game (it may come from a Western developer...who knows)

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By niamahai

i think GB crew stand is that outside of those familiar with JRPGs, nobody else is interested in JRPGs.

In other words, JRPGs fail to attract new people (no, this not because of high standards) unlike other genres.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Hailinel
@l4wd0g said:
" @Lautaro said:
" Apart from P4 and them not hating Recettear can someone name a JRPG that the staff liked (recently) ?  "
Wasn't P4 on the PS2? "
Though it's a PS2 game, it was released well after the start of the current generation.  It was quite possibly the last significant exclusive release on the platform.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#74  Edited By GreggD

The Poke Mans.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By Juno500
@StarvingGamer said:
" @Hailinel: I just used save crawling to get an A on every mission, took forever though.  Oh yeah and Catherine!  Did anyone say that yet?  Probably huh. "
Catherine isn't an RPG. 

And JRPGs have only died to those who aren't paying attention to handhelds. There are tons of awesome JRPGs to choose from already out, and several more are on the way.
Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76  Edited By Getz

Persona, and the other Shin Megami Tensei games are great, but they still technically count as last-gen since they're on the ps2 even though they keep putting out new ones. Lost Odyssey kept my hopes alive, while Final Fantasy chugs along and destroys that hope. The only other JRPG I played this gen that I liked somewhat was Last Remnant, but that wasn't even close to what most would consider "good." 

I heard Resonance of Fate was decent though. I think Westerners aren't buying them as much as they used to with more appropriate games on offer (Mass Effect, TES, Dragon Age, etc.) that appeal to us more. Japan still loves that shit though, and probably always will.

McFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By McFly

When talking about WRPGs, people often club Bethesda and BioWare into one big genre but when it comes to JRPG, they always tend to ignore the best Japanese RPG made in the last 5 years. Elder Scrolls and KOTOR have as much in common as Final Fantasy XIII and Demon's Souls.

DS is proof that Japan can make great RPGs that don't revolve around navel gazing or teenage drama (the kind some people have grown tired of). More Japanese publishers need to give their developers the freedom to try divergent games like this.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for firstbosscutman
FirstBossCutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By FirstBossCutman

I liked Disgaea DS, but I guess that's more of a SRPG. If you can look past the anime then it's a really cool little time waster.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By subject2change

Demon's Souls is an Action RPG and while published and devloped by Japanese companies NOT A JRPG. JRPG is the turn based combat you come to expect along the lines of Final Fantasy, Shin Megami Tensei games, Dragon Quest and the like. Demon's Souls is fantastic BUT not a JRPG in those terms.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Lautaro
@Subject2Change said:
" Demon's Souls is an Action RPG and while published and devloped by Japanese companies NOT A JRPG. JRPG is the turn based combat you come to expect along the lines of Final Fantasy, Shin Megami Tensei games, Dragon Quest and the like. Demon's Souls is fantastic BUT not a JRPG in those terms. "
Is Nier considered a JRPG or Action RPG then?
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By subject2change
@Lautaro said:

" @Subject2Change said:

" Demon's Souls is an Action RPG and while published and devloped by Japanese companies NOT A JRPG. JRPG is the turn based combat you come to expect along the lines of Final Fantasy, Shin Megami Tensei games, Dragon Quest and the like. Demon's Souls is fantastic BUT not a JRPG in those terms. "
Is Nier considered a JRPG or Action RPG then? "
I have yet to play Nier is the combat system like Kingdom Hearts in a sense? hack and slash? if so, yes it is an Action RPG or atleast in my mind I would consider it to be one more so than a JRPG. JRPG to me is typically represnted with a turn based combat system that is isolated from the rest of the world. One that takes you out of the environment and puts you in a new one for the combat. If a boss fight does this in an Action RPG that's fine, but if it transitions per "random" battle then i'd consider it JRPG. It's a weird line but I would in no way consider demon's souls remotely to be a JRPG. I suppose you can keep making subgenres like they do with music and consider that to be an A-JRPG or something but I hate that with music and I won't do it to games.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Dead as a doorknob, Smalls.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Hailinel
@Getz said:
" Persona, and the other Shin Megami Tensei games are great, but they still technically count as last-gen since they're on the ps2 even though they keep putting out new ones. Lost Odyssey kept my hopes alive, while Final Fantasy chugs along and destroys that hope. The only other JRPG I played this gen that I liked somewhat was Last Remnant, but that wasn't even close to what most would consider "good."  I heard Resonance of Fate was decent though. I think Westerners aren't buying them as much as they used to with more appropriate games on offer (Mass Effect, TES, Dragon Age, etc.) that appeal to us more. Japan still loves that shit though, and probably always will. "
So the SMT games on the DS and PSP don't count, apparently?  Like, the ones released within the past year?  One of them being the first proper game in the main Shin Megami Tensei series since Nocturne on the PS2?
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By shirogane

You people are weird.... 
Apparantly Lost Odyssey is great? Even though it was the JRPG i probably liked least. Way down there, along with Blue Dragon, and Infinite Undiscovery.
Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Lautaro
@Subject2Change said:
" @Lautaro said:

" @Subject2Change said:

Is Nier considered a JRPG or Action RPG then? "
I have yet to play Nier is the combat system like Kingdom Hearts in a sense? hack and slash? if so, yes it is an Action RPG or atleast in my mind I would consider it to be one more so than a JRPG. JRPG to me is typically represnted with a turn based combat system that is isolated from the rest of the world. One that takes you out of the environment and puts you in a new one for the combat. If a boss fight does this in an Action RPG that's fine, but if it transitions per "random" battle then i'd consider it JRPG. It's a weird line but I would in no way consider demon's souls remotely to be a JRPG. I suppose you can keep making subgenres like they do with music and consider that to be an A-JRPG or something but I hate that with music and I won't do it to games. "
I see your point, but I myself have always considered the Kingdom Hearts games at least somewhat JRPGish. There definitely are weird lines within this genre.
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By sixghost
@Lautaro said:
Recettear is about as much a JRPG as Black Ops.
Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#87  Edited By Getz
@Hailinel: Not in my book. The PSP and DS came out 7 years ago, two years before the Wii and Xbox360. We could argue the semantics of "gen" all day though; does it really matter?
Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Hunkulese

Final Fantasy XIII was great and I also really liked eternal sonata

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#89  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@sixghost said:
" @Lautaro said:
Recettear is about as much a JRPG as Black Ops. "
What?

That doesn't even make sense.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Hailinel
@sixghost said:
" @Lautaro said:
...Have you even seen Recettear, much less played it?
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By sixghost
@Hailinel said:

" @sixghost said:

" @Lautaro said:
...Have you even seen Recettear, much less played it? "
Played it for 20 hours, it's not a JRPG in the slightest.
Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Detrian
@sixghost said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @sixghost said:

" @Lautaro said:
Played it for 20 hours, it's not a JRPG in the slightest. "
Why don't you share your definition of a jrpg then.
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By sixghost
@Detrian said:
" @sixghost said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @sixghost said:

" @Lautaro said:
Why don't you share your definition of a jrpg then. "
It's certainly not an item shop sim where you occasionally enter a dungeon for 5 minutes every hour. Even the tiny bit of combat that you do has nothing in common with JRPGs. Just because the characters and dialogue are inspired by the JRPG style, it doesn't mean the game is one.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#94  Edited By Animasta
@sixghost said:
" @Detrian said:
" @sixghost said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @sixghost said:

" @Lautaro said:
It's certainly not an item shop sim where you occasionally enter a dungeon for 5 minutes every hour. Even the tiny bit of combat that you do has nothing in common with JRPGs. Just because the characters and dialogue are inspired by the JRPG style, it doesn't mean the game is one. "
dude, no, that shit is straight JRPG. an item shop sim? there's barely any simming going on. the most you could call it would be a strategy JRPG but that's wrong too
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#95  Edited By spazmaster666

There have been quite a few good JRPGs this generation actually. The ones I would say are worth playing IMO would be: 

Eternal Sonata 
Resonance of Fate 
Lost Odyssey 
Tales of Vesperia 
Star Ocean: The Last Hope 
Magna Carta 2 
Final Fantasy XIII 
Last Remnant 
Infinite Undiscovery 
Persona 4 
Arc Rise Fantasia 

Not all of these titles are necessary top notch and many of them definitely have flaws but that doesn't mean they aren't good games, it just depends on personal tastes really.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Detrian
@sixghost said:

It's certainly not an item shop sim where you occasionally enter a dungeon for 5 minutes every hour. Even the tiny bit of combat that you do has nothing in common with JRPGs. Just because the characters and dialogue are inspired by the JRPG style, it doesn't mean the game is one. "
Well for starters why are you lying? Every dungeon past the first two take at least half an hour to complete, more like an hour or so. 

Second, I don't think you quite understand that the definition of jrpg is just "rpg made in japan".
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Hailinel
@Laketown said:
" @sixghost said:
" @Detrian said:
" @sixghost said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @sixghost said:

" @Lautaro said:
dude, no, that shit is straight JRPG. an item shop sim? there's barely any simming going on. the most you could call it would be a strategy JRPG but that's wrong too "
See also:  Torneko's chapter in Dragon Quest IV.
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By sixghost
@Laketown said:
" @sixghost said:
" @Detrian said:
" @sixghost said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @sixghost said:

" @Lautaro said:
dude, no, that shit is straight JRPG. an item shop sim? there's barely any simming going on. the most you could call it would be a strategy JRPG but that's wrong too "
What game are you playing? You spend 90% of the game outside of the dungeons buying/selling/negotiating in shops. There's nothing strategic about the combat.
s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#99  Edited By s-a-n-JR

People used to say fighting games were dead too. 

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By sixghost
@Detrian said:
" @sixghost said:

Well for starters why are you lying? Every dungeon past the first two take at least half an hour to complete, more like an hour or so.   Second, I don't think you quite understand that the definition of jrpg is just "rpg made in japan". "
lol, what? If a team in Japan made Baldur's Gate, it wouldn't be considered a JRPG. I suppose you also think every game in which you "play a role" is a RPG?