So, hey, August is absolutely packed!

• 148 results
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Poll So, hey, August is absolutely packed! (705 votes)

Pikmin 3 9%
Dragon's Crown 12%
Tales of Xillia 11%
Brothers: Tales of Two Sons 3%
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team 14%
Payday 2 9%
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified 25%
Saints Row IV 62%
The Wonderful 101 8%
Killer is Dead 17%
...Other?!? 14%
Nothing 12%

Seriously, August is the new November! Though considering that the later end of the year will of course be dominated by next-gen console stuff, and September is of course GTAV turf, it makes sense why suddenly everyone is packing their games all in August.

But there can only be one!

Or two... three?

Maybe four?

Whatever, games of every numerical variety shall be bought! And I have created this poll compiling pretty much all of the big hitters to be released next month. I'm sure SRIV will be leading the charge for most, but there's plenty else in there to give you pause. Or not.

In any case I am most assuredly getting both Killer is Dead and Saints Row IV. Killer is Dead should, hopefully, be the Suda game we've all been waiting for. A game overpouring with Suda's madness, but while also encased in something that's actually fun to play. Lollipop Chainsaw, while not great by any means, is one of his best mechanically speaking and I would hope that it'll have been the stepping stone Suda's team needed to reach this theoretically glorious combination!!

While I'm still within the minority that greatly prefers SR2 to SRTT, SRIV has still shown me enough to get me excited. Crackdown powers and what looks like an open-world with some actual personality and side stuff that isn't a monotonous dreck, alongside an abundance of old faces returning into the fray, has eased Saints Row back into my good graces.

I'm also leaning very heavily into getting Payday 2... It's at a budget price and the whole game sounds fucking awesome on paper. Better yet, it actually looks to be just as good in motion too, if all of the footage I've seen is to be believed. I've already got myself some candidates to coop with at that, so it's all looking pretty optimistic.

Finally, while it definitely won't be an August purchase, I am very curious to read the reception to Tales of Xillia. I've finally decided to give Tales of Graces f more of chance, after figuratively disowning at after like an hour into the prologue, but... that game is a goddamn JRPG -- to a fault. Archetypal characters (Mysterious amnesiac lady; overly idealistic member of royalty who wants to end ALL the wars; lead hero who wants to protect ALL the people; an overly polite butler named frederic) and melodrama in spades -- I literally put the controller down and walked away shortly after Asbel is reunited with Herbet. Y'know, the part with the rain...

Anywhoo, the combat is primarily what pulls people into this series. But unfortunately I'm not the biggest fan of the combat, either. It's all just so damn fast and even by Tales standards i often feel like I'm just mashing the buttons and watching flashy colours cover the screen. In any case I'm hoping to see if Xillia will hark a little closer to Vesperia with regards to the combat.

• 
stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Saints Row.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Oh man, I definitely will have to play Killer is Dead and SRIV at some point. Probably not this year though, because I need to save for GTA V and maybe a PS4.

I'll most likely get Mario and Luigi: Dream Team though, since I have $30 from the Fire Emblem+SMTIV promotion.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Pikmin and Mario & Luigi for me. Wonderful 101 doesn't come out till Sept 15 for the US.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

All about that Saints Row action.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Yummylee
@jjor64 said:

Pikmin and Mario & Luigi for me. Wonderful 101 doesn't come out till Sept 15 for the US.

Ya, but for European regions it still counts as an August release. Hell, if Wikipedia is to be believed, it actually comes out in Europe before even Japan weirdly enough.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Flappy

Preordered Killer Is Dead back in June so that's gonna be nice. As far as SRIV goes, I'll probably be getting it later this year. August is pretty stacked, though.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

meh, none of those games have me excited. Next game i'm looking forward to is in September, Grand Theft Auto V!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@yummylee said:
@jjor64 said:

Ya, but for European regions it still counts as an August release. Hell, if Wikipedia is to be believed, it actually comes out in Europe before even Japan weirdly enough.

Yeah. Gotta wait till Sept. for it. :(

SigmaCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Once August is over, I'm glad things start to slow down for me. Looking to pick up PIkmin, Dragon's Crown, Xillia, Killer is Dead and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Grand Theft Auto 5, Replay Persona 3 this time portable

Nothing

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I'll probably get Spelunky HD PC. I played a disturbing amount of the original.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Fearbeard

Isn't Rayman Legends also in August?

Saint's Row IV and XCOM are the guaranteed buys for me. I'm interested in others but probably won't have time for them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is Splinter Cell: Blacklist?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Considering I bought nothing in July (I sneakily managed to pay $0 for Brave New World), I feel ok buying 4 games in August

• Dragon's Crown
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
  • Saints Row IV
  • Killer is Dead
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Rayman Legends also in August?

Where is Splinter Cell: Blacklist?

Jesus, really? @_@ Well, consider them apart of 'Other' I guess.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By bacongames
Mr. N Is O...P!
Mr. N Is O...P!

Is that a nickel?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By morningstar

Xcom and Killer is Dead for me. I've give up on the Tales games, or I would have bought that as well. Mario and Luigi I already have, playing it right now.

I will also buy Dragon Commander, but I dont see that on the list =)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mr. N Is O...P!
Mr. N Is O...P!

Is that a nickel?

I will also buy Dragon Commander, but I dont see that on the list =)

No Caption Provided

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saints, Payday, and XCOM are the only ones I'm interested in (well, Dream Team and Splinter Cell too, but I'll wait on Splinter Cell, and I don't have a 3DS), but what a three they are.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only really care about XCOM from that list, I may buy Splinter Cell if it reviews well. I'm pretty sure Lost Planet 3 is coming out in August as well, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be better than it has any right to be, so I may get that as well.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Already got Mario & Luigi, and Pikmin 3 hits in a week. :P

I'll be looking at buying Saints Row IV, The Bureau, Brothers, Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Killer is Dead, Divekick and Dishonored's Brigmore Witches DLC.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I guess I'm being forced to get Payday 2 since you scrubs can't live without me and Saints Row 4.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7 said:

I guess I'm being forced to get Payday 2 since you scrubs can't live without me and Saints Row 4.

You bet your bitch ass you are.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn releases August 27th, please look forward to it.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By N7

@yummylee said:

@n7 said:

I wonder if Saints Row 4 will have an online pass. I would like to play that game in co-op.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Saints Row is the only on that list that I would want to buy right away

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I've still got Heroes VI to bash my head against for like 400 hours (I refuse to play on normal), plus Dredmor, Isaac, and Dungeon Defenders from the steam sale. Another 30-40 hours of Last of Us to platinum (and then DLC whenever that comes out), another 50-60 hours for Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll, another 60 or so hours to platinum Warriors Orochi 3, Deus Ex: HR, and several more games to play. My backlog is still only up to 12-13 games or so which isn't horrific but I'm not going to expand it until the prices for the one or two of these games worth buying drops to 20 or 30, I did enjoy SR3 a lot but I also enjoyed only paying 30 bucks for it a month after release.

Dragon's Crown will eventually be on PS+, count on it.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Baillie

Splinter Cell trumps all of them.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Well I like two games out of that list so I suppose thats as packed as August gets, unless of course you are @yummylee and have completely inferior taste in gaming!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7 said:

@yummylee said:

@n7 said:

I wonder if Saints Row 4 will have an online pass. I would like to play that game in co-op.

I wouldn't think so. Deep Silver don't seem like the sorta folk that would bolt one on, especially after EA giving up on the system.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rayman: Legends and Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

The two big games not on your list...

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will get none of those.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Twisted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd really like to get Mario and Luigi, it's already out here so I might end up buying it soon.

I also really want Saints Row 4 because why the fuck wouldn't I?

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From a glance at your list I'm not buying a single one of those.

SR4 doesn't look interesting to me, I'm currently playing XCOM Enemy Unknown which means no The Bureau for a long time, I'm not sure about Payday 2 yet, and I know nothing of the rest.

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HoboZero

You missed the greatest release this year: Duck Tales, baby!

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon's Crown and double-dipping with Skullgirls for PC. A whole bunch of games I'll consider if they turn out good and are cheaper, here's hoping The Bureau works and Xillia isn't as cringe-worthy as Graces f.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By FLStyle
No Caption Provided

Another Other vote for Divekick, I might try Saint's Row IV somewhere down the line, I get burned out on non-GTA open world games very easily. Technically MGSV is going to be open world, I can safely say I won't get burned out on that when it releases next year/2015.

BackupPanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be pickin' up my pre-order for Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist . . . and that's about it.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Pikmin 3 is the reason I got a WiiU recently .

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SR4, Dragon's Crown and Killer is Dead. I expect to still be nursing my Summer Sale hangover until at least November, it would be nice if they could stop releasing games until then. Seriously. Stop.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Saints Row and Xillia for me for sure, have to see how my budget is for other things, but there's a lot that I will pick up further down the road, but not necessarily at launch.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By DharmaBum

I'll be playing Payday 2 up until GTA V comes out. Probably going to wait for reviews/pricedrop on Splinter Cell, and to hear if the Spies vs Mercs mode is any good. Also excited for Dishonored and Halo DLC.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

August is also mo fucking EUROPA UNIVERSALIS 4

GONNA COLONIZE ALL OF NORTH AMERICA AS NORWAY KID

!!!

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Rafaelfc

Mario & Luigi, The Bureau and Saints Row all shall be mine, MINE!

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I'm DEFINITELY picking up Splinter Cell. Co-op looks incredibly fun and my cousin and I live for great co-op experiences. I'll probably pick up Saints Row IV as well, not sure about Payday 2 and The Bureau has recently caught my attention.

rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it is Tales of Xillia and Dragons Crown and maybe Saints Row 4

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

isnt lost planet 3 coming out also madden ? :O

Avatar image for deactivated-60e5a91975271
deactivated-60e5a91975271

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I had no idea there were that many games out in August!

My Wife recently bought us a Wii-U so Pikmin 3, Rayman and Wonderful 101 are certainly on my radar, though I can see all three dropping in price quite quickly (especially the last two) so I might hold fire picking them up right away. Picked up the "Complete" edition of Saints 3 recently so I should probably finish that one off before jumping into SR4. Killer is Dead could end up being something special - I do enjoy Suda51 games - but again, I can't see it shifting many copies so a quick price drop is inevitable.

At the moment my gut is telling me to get Pikmin 3. Haven't played a Pikmin game before and it sounds like there is a decent amount of content if you include the various multiplayer modes.