So. How successful/not successful was/is the PSP?

• 55 results
Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vrikk

I've had a PSP three times. At lunch, the slim version, and now my Go. I understand and agree with every single thing that people say about it being a failure. The UMD is stupid. Sony is dumb with the GO's lack of support from the developers. Battery life sucks, and it has been hurt by piracy throughout its entire life. 

But I also think it's a great and underlooked system. Some awesome platformers, great ports of games, even a few upcoming games that are going to be big (Parasite Eve 3 has me completely hyped up). 

So it's up to you: how successful do you think the system will be seen as? Do you go by the sales numbers or simply if you thought the price you paid for it paid off with the software?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

It's one of the top selling consoles in Japan and was the top selling console in Japan for 2010, 2009, and 2008. 

So, it did alright I guess.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel
@KaosAngel said:
" It's one of the top selling consoles in Japan and was the top selling console in Japan for 2010, 2009, and 2008.  So, it did alright I guess. "
But that was mainly due to Monster Hunter, wasn't it?
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KaosAngel
@Hailinel said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" It's one of the top selling consoles in Japan and was the top selling console in Japan for 2010, 2009, and 2008.  So, it did alright I guess. "
But that was mainly due to Monster Hunter, wasn't it? "
Sales are sales.  >.>
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By TheHBK
@KaosAngel: Really?  I very much doubt those numbers considering how the PSP was outsold in Japan by the DS 2:1 total.  So I very much doubt that it outsold the DS for 3 out of the 5 years both systems were available.  You must have the same source as Mackmack. 

I think that Sony was disappointed in the PSP to tell the truth and are going bigger for the NGP.  Side note, really sony?  really?  You are gonna keep doing stupid shit like that?  Massive Action game.  Next Generation Portable?  What, is the PS4 gonna be introduced as the Future Entertainment System? 
As for me, I bought as PSP at launch.  I was in college and saved up my money.  Had Lumines.  Then... GTA... and that was it.  I saw the DS Lite and wanted that shit quick.  Games seemed so different and more like what I remember playing when I was kid with a Gameboy.  I had a PS2 and so usually, if a game was out on the PSP, I could get a better one on the PS2 or the Xbox.  It just didn't have a place in my life. 

Edit:  Also, is no one else concerned that the price for games on the NGP will be way too high?  I mean, the graphics look awesome and the touch stuff is cool, but, umm.. if we have great looking version of Uncharted and Killzone, wont they cost just as much to develop?  We could be seeing PSP2 games at 60 bucks a pop.  3DS games at 40 bucks seems like too much to me.  And with games being not on disc but flash based memory sticks, that only adds to the costs.  We need to wait and see how this plays out but I am getting worried by how quickly both Nintendo and Sony are getting comfy charging more for shit. 
 note:  Killzone can only be awesome if Sev and Rico are dead and the story makes fucking sense.
BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By BrittonPeele
@KaosAngel said:

For the entire year? I know it won a lot of months, particularly after Monster Hunter releases, but I didn't think it won any whole years.
Kieran_ES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Kieran_ES

It has sold around 60 million. I don't think Sony see that as a failure.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By mikey87144

Hardware wise Sony sold 63 million units. Considering that they were entering a market that Nintendo owned that's pretty successful and I think that Sony would be the first to tell you from a hardware standpoint they exceeded expectations. Because of piracy though the hardware success didn't carry over to the software.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tsoglani

I think there are some real gems on the PSP; Peace Walker is fantastic, as is Portable Ops.

I have also made some wicked hip-hop beats with Beaterator. In terms of games, I think it has been successful, and I also remember reading that it did/is still doing really well in Asia.

So failure, no: living up to its potential, also no. Relatively successful is my call on the PSP.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By shadows_kill

They entered the portable market that has been owned by Nintendo and Sony definatly put up enough of a fight with killer games to say it was successful. I have a DS but honestly i think I'm gonna get the NGP over 3DS (however this may change I havent made a set choice yet). Also it sold 63 million? Thats pretty darn amazing.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vrikk

But hasn't Sony lost money on the PSP hardware? I know Nintendo has notoriously been known for always making a buck on their hardware, but if I remember correctly the PSP cost more than it sold for. With time though I'm sure pieces became cheaper to get though, but the price to the consumer fell too...

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By RobotHamster

It's sold over 65 million units and has a really good library of games imo, so I would say it was successful.  

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By bretthancock

Between the PSP and the DS an RPG, Strategy RPG, or obscure "weird" game fanatic is set for life.  There are some gems on the PSP, it's a shame the thing never took off like the DS.  As far as how successful it was, hard to say.  It sold a lot but didn't seem to have the cultural significance of the DS.  Although that could just be a Sony vs. Nintendo thing.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By FancySoapsMan

It had some pretty good games.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I think it started off being kind of a hit, but over the last several years, it's pretty much been forgotten about. So in the end, while I wouldn't call it a failure, I'd say it's been only mildly successful.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I bought one in '09. Don't regret it, it's got some really good exclusives, like MGS Peace Walker. I pumped 60+ hours into that game.  

And as stated earlier here, it's sold crazy in Japan, but not so much in the states. 

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Surkov

It is the most successful non-Nintendo handheld ever, so that's something. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

i would say that it did alright. i do think that UMD was bad. i don't think that it went all the way that sony wanted it to go. they said that there would be movies on it. after a while of a couple of years there aren't advertised UMD anymore. i don't even think there are any UMD movies anymore.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jking47
@Vrikk said:
" I've had a PSP three times. At lunch, the slim version, and now my Go. I understand and agree with every single thing that people say about it being a failure. The UMD is stupid. Sony is dumb with the GO's lack of support from the developers. Battery life sucks, and it has been hurt by piracy throughout its entire life.  But I also think it's a great and underlooked system. Some awesome platformers, great ports of games, even a few upcoming games that are going to be big (Parasite Eve 3 has me completely hyped up).  So it's up to you: how successful do you think the system will be seen as? Do you go by the sales numbers or simply if you thought the price you paid for it paid off with the software? "
You got rid of your slim and bought a Go between lunch and now? Productive
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JJOR64
@Surkov said:
" It is the most successful non-Nintendo handheld ever, so that's something.  "
True that.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iamjohn

Anyone who says the PSP was anything but a success is a fucking moron, straight up.  It has sold 62 million units. 

SIXTY-TWO FUCKING MILLION UNITS.

That is more than any other non-Nintendo handheld has sold combined.  That is more than what both the Xbox and the GameCube sold combined.  That is more than any Sega system sold.  That is more than what both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 have sold. 

Yes, it did not sell as much as the DS, which also just so happens to be the best selling video game system of all time.  How does that make it a failure, though?
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KaosAngel

Let's be serious here for a second...out of all the users here, how many know of a friend who has used the PSP to pirate?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iamjohn
@KaosAngel said:
" Let's be serious here for a second...out of all the users here, how many know of a friend who has used the PSP to pirate? "
I do.
clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By clarke0
@KaosAngel said:
" Let's be serious here for a second...out of all the users here, how many know of a friend who has used the PSP to pirate? "
Honestly around half of all the people who bought PSP hardware probably bought it for pirating or homebrew.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KaosAngel
@clarke0 said:
" @KaosAngel said:
Honestly around half of all the people who bought PSP hardware probably bought it for pirating or homebrew. "
So despite selling 60+ million, only 30 million matter as Sony normally loses money on hardware.  
Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vrikk
@jking47: What can I say? I'm a productive man. 

(Obviously it was a "launch" typo.)
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MysteriousBob

Considering it was up against the DS, it did very well. 

I still argue that homebrew was the only reason to own a PSP. Even without it though, being able to upload movies on a memory stick to watch on plane flights was very cool indeed. What a great screen.

Trifork89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Trifork89

I thought it sold somewhere in the area of over 60million units worldwide.. i don't really think that means it was a failure in any way. 
I had a PSP at launch and i loved playing with it for a while, I never installed Homebrew or anything else that was really popular on the system.. I liked some of the games on the PSP a lot but i eventually got bored of it.. and not because i thought it was a bad system, i think it's just because it was a handheld.. and i've never really been huge into handheld gaming, The DS for example is almost universally liked more so than the PSP but it still didn't hold my interest for very long despite it having a hand full of really excellent games that even i enjoyed.
rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

It had some great games :D

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Rufi91 said:
" It had some great games :D "
Darkstalkers The Chaos Tower was once of the best launch titles I've ever played on any system. Yeah, I had already played DS3/Vampire Saviour before, but to see it on the bright handheld screen it just blew my mind. Every new system I get needs at least one fighting game with it.

And people who didn't know how to use the d-pad were just being idiots. It worked fine and was far better than the DS d-pad. 

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By Siphillis

When all is said and done, the PSP is the most successful non-Nintendo handheld video game platform ever by a longshot.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MysteriousBob
@iAmJohn said:
" Anyone who says the PSP was anything but a success is a fucking moron, straight up.  It has sold 62 million units. 

SIXTY-TWO FUCKING MILLION UNITS.

That is more than any other non-Nintendo handheld has sold combined.  That is more than what both the Xbox and the GameCube sold combined.  That is more than any Sega system sold.  That is more than what both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 have sold. 

Yes, it did not sell as much as the DS, which also just so happens to be the best selling video game system of all time.  How does that make it a failure, though? "
I knew it did better than most people think, but those comparisons blew my minds. 'Failure' my arse. Well done Sony.
Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By Aus_azn

In the global market, it was decimated by the DS, but I'm sure everyone knows that. UMDs suck, Go sucks, but there are definite gems on the system.

Namely...Lumines and DJMax. That's really about it, IMO.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By keyhunter

Got one back in 06'. Twas shit back then, and tis shit to this day by golly.
There really never was a whole lot of homebrew for it, and most of it barely worked at best. Or was useless.
And if my pants are too tight when using it as an MP3 player it changes songs constantly.
Also back in 06' a 4 gig card for the thing was 200 bucks. 
The few games I did enjoy though, were really really good. Portable Katamari alone was worth the purchase of the device.
And I also enjoyed the UMD. More specifically, after the novelty of having a portable PS2 wore off, I started flicking my PSP with my wrist while pressing the eject switch to launch my UMD's at shit. It was always a blast.

robot4me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By robot4me

I bought a used one 4 years ago for $50 because my friend didn't want it anymore. I bought 1 umd game and 2 download games, all 3 were fighting games. I wanted to play all the platformers shooters and rpg on a tv not on a handheld. I ended up using it as a mp3 player and never buying another game. I was the only person I know who has a psp. I know 15 people who have a ds or dsi. 
I believe the psp was a total failure in my erea of the usa ( Kentucky Indiana Ohio michiganthe places my family and friends live or visit) .

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MysteriousBob
@keyhunter said:
"  There really never was a whole lot of homebrew for it, and most of it barely worked at best. Or was useless. "
This is a complete lie. I had fullspeed GBA, Neo Geo, CPS2 and Mega Drive emulators on mine to name a few. So they were very useful and worked perfectly. 

So, what you just said was either laughably misinformed or just a flat out lie.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By keyhunter
@MysteriousBob said:
" @keyhunter said:
"  There really never was a whole lot of homebrew for it, and most of it barely worked at best. Or was useless. "
This is a complete lie. I had fullspeed GBA, Neo Geo, CPS2 and Mega Drive emulators on mine to name a few. So they were very useful and worked perfectly.  So, what you just said was either laughably misinformed or just a flat out lie. "
I recall them all having terrible framerates to the point of being barely playable. Quality is a factor. I aint gonna play no super robot wars with no fuckin 11 FPS.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MysteriousBob
@keyhunter said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" @keyhunter said:
This is a complete lie. I had fullspeed GBA, Neo Geo, CPS2 and Mega Drive emulators on mine to name a few. So they were very useful and worked perfectly.  So, what you just said was either laughably misinformed or just a flat out lie. "
I recall them all having terrible framerates to the point of being barely playable. Quality is a factor. I aint gonna play no super robot wars with no fuckin 11 FPS. "
I clearly said 'full speed'. I would never accept an emulator that was anything less than 60FPS. It seems you only encounted the shit emulators. 

Oh yeah and PopStation broke into the official PS1 emulation software used for PSN downloads so you could also run (almost) any PS1 game at full speed on the PSP for free. 

Again, perfect speed and very, very useful.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MikkaQ

Just because of how much piracy and bad console ports crippled it, I'm saying not very. Regardless of how many units it sold, no one wants to make PSP games anymore. At least Nintendo managed to squeeze some extra sales out of the DS with the DSi and XL plus having a Pokemon game drop so late into it's lifespan. Sony needs the new handheld this year more so than Nintendo. 

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator
@MysteriousBob:  Oh god yeah! Dissidia wasn't a bad game tbh, I don't even like Final Fantasy but my Weeaboo friend  let me borrow it and I sunk weeekks into it :D
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By StaticFalconar
@MysteriousBob said:
" Considering it was up against the DS, it did very well.  I still argue that homebrew was the only reason to own a PSP. Even without it though, being able to upload movies on a memory stick to watch on plane flights was very cool indeed. What a great screen. "
I bought a DS for the exact same reason. Can't ignore the sales of the DS due to ease of piracy either. 
Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#42  Edited By Pepsiman

When considering that sales-wise, the most successful non-Nintendo handheld prior to the PSP was the Japan exclusive Wonderswan line, I'd say that the PSP has a fairly good legacy, all things considered. Piracy might have seriously dampened some of its prospects, although ultimately how much piracy pervades a platform is not super indicative of its success, since otherwise the PC would be an entire flop across the board and obtuse stuff like the 64DD would have sold heaps according to that logic. The DS suffers from similarly easy piracy these days, yet original copies of its games can still sell well with the right reception and marketing efforts. Ultimately, I think the PSP's biggest flaw was simply that Sony did not make a handheld that deliberately catered to what the portable video game experience is and what it stands for. Too many people tried to reach for the stars because the hardware specifications allowed it and too few actually succeeded while keeping in mind what makes portable games compelling. The games that were great on the PSP, though, were great for legitimate reasons and there are enough of them on the system that it can hardly be dismissed as a failure. There are lessons to be learned from it, certainly, but pretty much every other portable platform before it never came remotely close in reaching the market penetration the PSP attained, so it did at least some things right.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vinny_Says
@KaosAngel said:
thought it was a handheld not a console.....Also isn't the DS like the biggest thing ever in Japan?
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Sold 50 million, I would say thats pretty successful. 
p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By p_p_o_d

it did good (60+million sold isnt a bad thing)  but the big gap in the middle of its life when there was little to no games released really killed it. 

by the time the psp 3000 came out and devs where making games again alot of the people who baught it moved on.     

if the NGP has the hardware sales of the psp1 but can have decent software numbers I think sony will be more then pleased. 

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FacelessVixen

I like it. My Go serves as a good iPod substitute. I'm interested to see what the Japanese market has for sale.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Spoonman671

PS3- 40 million sold = success!
360- 50 million sold = success!
PSP- 60 million sold = failure!

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Oilers99

The PSP was a moderate success, but it may end up being more important historically than as a means to profit for Sony. Given the rampant piracy that has been reported, and that game consoles depend heavily on game sales to profit, perhaps Sony might be a little disappointed. However, Sony's portable has done two things; it's established that portables should be only slightly behind the technology of current consoles, and it has proved that there is enough space in the portable market for two consoles. Going forward, you can certainly see the impact of this, as we're going to see the launch of two major portable platforms this year, and it seems that part of the reason why the 3DS is perhaps more technically accomplished for its time than any previous console.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49  Edited By Cube

The PSP was a success. It sold 64 million units, it stood up to the giant that is Nintendo, and it produced some really fun games. 

Was it as much of a success as the DS? No.  
Was it as much of a success as the PS and PS2? No. 

But the PSP didn't flop. It held its own, found a market in Japan and is the highest selling hardware currently in Japan (source:  http://www.gamespot.com/news/6295780.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;5

Sepultallica86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By Sepultallica86

I don't think the PSP was a failure like everyone, or most people make it out to be, maybe on the software side. The PSP has sold around 60 million worldwide, that's a pretty solid number.