So I bought a game from gamestop the other day...

• 68 results
jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jking47

So, the other day, I decided to go buy Bayonetta, looked online and new copies are only 20 bucks, and I have heard good things about it. I go to gamestop, ask if they have it, they say they have 1 new copy left. I buy it, take it home, open the case, and see this... 

what the hell? I havent bought any games from a store in a few months (I have been playing alot of steam games), but is this considered a normal thing? In a sleeve that is inside of the case? I saw no smudges/scratches on the disk, but still...
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

Pretty much. Gamestop is bullshit.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

At Gamestop, they typically open one new game and keep the disc behind the counter while using the case as their display copy.  If you take the last new copy of the game, they'll have to take the case off the shelf and slide the disc back in.

Though when that's happened to me, they at least have the decency to take the disc out of the paper sleeve and put it back in the case properly.  Looks like the clerk that sold you that is a lazy bastard.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By DougQuaid

If you ask for a new copy they should hand you a sealed case, none this behind the counter in a paper sleeve bullshit they try to pull.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By awesomeusername

Dead Space 2 on the floor? You lazy bastard!!!!!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@DougQuaid said:
"  If you ask for a new copy they should hand you a sealed case, none this behind the counter in a paper sleeve bullshit they try to pull. "
If its the last copy they have to give you the display one. Stop bitching. @jking47 said:
" So, the other day, I decided to go buy Bayonetta, looked online and new copies are only 20 bucks, and I have heard good things about it. I go to gamestop, ask if they have it, they say they have 1 new copy left. I buy it, take it home, open the case, and see this... 

what the hell? I havent bought any games from a store in a few months (I have been playing alot of steam games), but is this considered a normal thing? In a sleeve that is inside of the case? I saw no smudges/scratches on the disk, but still... "
Chances are it was the display copy. This is normal. The disk was not damaged and you should be happy they keep it in a sleeve to even protect it. 
WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

Depends on where you go, it can be common in some places. In Game (UK) they keep all the game discs behind counter in a filing system, moat new games are opened this way, I don't like it.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By TheHBK

I would never accept a new copy that has been open.  By definition its not new anymore.  They might say its new, that they just opened it, but it has to work both ways.  No place on earth would take a game return that was opened.  Thats why its bullshit, they have to come up with a better idea than that.  Its cheaper than putting in security systems.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Azteck

I would never buy a game unless it had a plastic cover. Ever. That would just feel really bad.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

If it works, it works.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iam3green

it was most likely the display case. it's going to happen to you because it was the display case, they have to take one copy to put on the shelf.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JJOR64
@Hailinel said:
" At Gamestop, they typically open one new game and keep the disc behind the counter while using the case as their display copy.  If you take the last new copy of the game, they'll have to take the case off the shelf and slide the disc back in.  Though when that's happened to me, they at least have the decency to take the disc out of the paper sleeve and put it back in the case properly.  Looks like the clerk that sold you that is a lazy bastard. "
This.
perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By perilator666
@jking47: there's dead space between your legs.... 

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Romination

As long as it works fine. 
They did that to me with Burnout Paradise, which turned out to be one of my favourite games.... so take that for what you will

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By ch13696

Sooooo what's the problem? It's a working disc. You were most likely going to open it and play it anyways. If you wanted a sealed copy, then you should have went to Wal-Mart or Best Buy. No point in complaining about it after you bought it and took it home, knowing that it was unsealed. 

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

My opened display copy of Super Street Fighter IV still works great today. It seems odd but in the end, it ain't that much of a big deal.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

My opened display copy of Super Street Fighter IV still works great today. It seems odd but in the end, it ain't that much of a big deal. Don't worry about it and enjoy sexy shit.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DrPockets000

I don't understand why people get so worked up about this.  They refund you if there's a problem with the disc.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By DeeGee

In a sleeve, in the case, who really gives a shit?

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By the_hiro_abides

The last time I bought a game in that sort of situation was the first Resistance game. Now I just buy new games at other stores or online. Once a year, (maybe?) I'll buy some used game from Gamestop. I think I buy used games more from Gamefly though.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gonmog

You all would bend over if the said the right words.... stand up for yourselfs. Your money is important what you buy with it should be as well. If you buy a new item, it should be new. If it's open that is not new, and you don't know if they used that disk. Hell they could have ripped the game.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@DrPockets000: People get worked up because they're assholes who need to vent about something. Can't go on bottling all that resentment and anger and general Mormonism* inside without turning into a DC Sniper.  

Sidebar: I'm half kidding.
LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By LeetBalla

So, does the game work or not? If yes, fuck you for wasting bandwidth on this thread.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hexx462
@DrPockets000 said:
" I don't understand why people get so worked up about this.  They refund you if there's a problem with the disc. "
Because it's not what the buyer intended to receive. It doesn't happen at Best Buy, Amazon, or Target. To tell the customer flat out that it's new only for it to have been previously opened is flat out deceptive. It's the principle and part of the overall disrespect Gamestop shows you as a customer.
jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jking47
@ch13696 said:
" Sooooo what's the problem? It's a working disc. You were most likely going to open it and play it anyways. If you wanted a sealed copy, then you should have went to Wal-Mart or Best Buy. No point in complaining about it after you bought it and took it home, knowing that it was unsealed.  "  

I went to best buy first(where I got dead space 2 ^-^), the guy there didn't recognize the title of the game, and after looking it up they didn't have any copies. I didn't realize that it was not a sealed box till after I got home (as I believe my original post indicated, I apologize if that was unclear), but so far no problems.   

Yeah, I probably should have payed more attention to what the employee was doing when he was ringing me up, but I was a little busy flirting with a girl in store who mentioned she liked Bayonetta once she saw me buying it =P

I was just wondering if this was common practice, which it appears to be. So as long as the game keeps working fine I will not be complaining, the whole thing just seems kinda unprofessional to me, I dunno.  Thanks for the replies!
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@hexx462 said:
" @DrPockets000 said:
" I don't understand why people get so worked up about this.  They refund you if there's a problem with the disc. "
Because it's not what the buyer intended to receive. It doesn't happen at Best Buy, Amazon, or Target. To tell the customer flat out that it's new only for it to have been previously opened is flat out deceptive. It's the principle and part of the overall disrespect Gamestop shows you as a customer. "
Oh Jesus Christ. No one is forcing you to buy that copy. I've also run into the "last copy" dilemma at big box retailers, and you either take it or you don't. It's stupid to bitch about this.
Hennet_sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Hennet_sim

Just don't shop at GameStop if you want sealed games there are a lot of other realtors out there go return it and get you money back and go get a new copy some place different.
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DrPockets000
@hexx462 said:
" @DrPockets000 said:
Because it's not what the buyer intended to receive. It doesn't happen at Best Buy, Amazon, or Target. To tell the customer flat out that it's new only for it to have been previously opened is flat out deceptive. It's the principle and part of the overall disrespect Gamestop shows you as a customer. "
Cry me a river.  If it's new, the disc hasn't been played.  The "Last Box" issue saves you the trouble of having to open up the plastic.  This also allows GameStop to not have to have locked cases for the games sitting out so customers can peruse and look at the back of the case. 

Would you rather they keep it sealed behind the counter?  Or that they not even sell the last one?  Or can you just be grateful that you're getting a copy of the game?
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AlexW00d
@Gonmog said:
" You all would bend over if the said the right words.... stand up for yourselfs. Your money is important what you buy with it should be as well. If you buy a new item, it should be new. If it's open that is not new, and you don't know if they used that disk. Hell they could have ripped the game. "
New means unused, not unopened. 

Like was above me, if you want to be able to view the box then they need a display box, and if they sell all the non-display versions all they have left is the display version. Just say no next time if it bothers you.
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kishan6
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @DougQuaid said:
"  If you ask for a new copy they should hand you a sealed case, none this behind the counter in a paper sleeve bullshit they try to pull. "
If its the last copy they have to give you the display one. Stop bitching. @jking47 said:
" So, the other day, I decided to go buy Bayonetta, looked online and new copies are only 20 bucks, and I have heard good things about it. I go to gamestop, ask if they have it, they say they have 1 new copy left. I buy it, take it home, open the case, and see this... 

what the hell? I havent bought any games from a store in a few months (I have been playing alot of steam games), but is this considered a normal thing? In a sleeve that is inside of the case? I saw no smudges/scratches on the disk, but still... "
Chances are it was the display copy. This is normal. The disk was not damaged and you should be happy they keep it in a sleeve to even protect it.  "
There is a used sticker underneath the new one... 
im pretty sure someone traded it in a few days after it came out and they realized that it was nice enough to try and fake and say it was new
2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By 2HeadedNinja
@DrPockets000 said:
" @hexx462 said:
" @DrPockets000 said:
Cry me a river.  If it's new, the disc hasn't been played.  The "Last Box" issue saves you the trouble of having to open up the plastic.  This also allows GameStop to not have to have locked cases for the games sitting out so customers can peruse and look at the back of the case.  Would you rather they keep it sealed behind the counter?  Or that they not even sell the last one?  Or can you just be grateful that you're getting a copy of the game? "
How do you know it has not been played? ... And even if not, DrPockets is right, its not about the disc being used or damaged, its about you getting the product you buy ... a new copy of a game. If they think they have to do that at least inform your customer about it and/or offer a discount. 
JoMu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By JoMu

With as many people on the whole internet that have ever complained about buying a gutted game from Gamestop, how is this new to anyone.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#33  Edited By Little_Socrates
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @DougQuaid said:

Chances are it was the display copy. This is normal. The disk was not damaged and you should be happy they keep it in a sleeve to even protect it.  "
This. It's not commonplace, but it happens occasionally. They had one new copy left, right? It would make sense that it was the display copy. The employees probably should've let you know so you wouldn't be curious, but it's all right.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@kishan6 said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @DougQuaid said:

There is a used sticker underneath the new one... im pretty sure someone traded it in a few days after it came out and they realized that it was nice enough to try and fake and say it was new "
They reuse the sleeve. I used to work at one and that was done. 
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@The_Laughing_Man: BUT BUT BUT IT MIGHT HAVE SLEEVE DAMAGE AND THAT MEANS IT COULD SCRATCH THE DISC AND yeah fuck it I can't keep up this charade.
Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mcfart

You should have known this when you recieved a box without  saran wrap. Your fault.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kishan6
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @kishan6 said:
" @DougQuaid said:

There is a used sticker underneath the new one... im pretty sure someone traded it in a few days after it came out and they realized that it was nice enough to try and fake and say it was new "
They reuse the sleeve. I used to work at one and that was done.  "
ya i didnt think of that actually. 
i love my local gamestop and honestly dont really know why people hate it so much
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@kishan6 said:
" @kishan6 said:
" @DougQuaid said:

ya i didnt think of that actually. i love my local gamestop and honestly dont really know why people hate it so much "
The one practice I do not like is that they all but force gamer informer on you..I literary heard a guy say 

"Yes this magazine will make the ma better video gamer." 
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kishan6
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @kishan6 said:
" @kishan6 said:
" @DougQuaid said:

ya i didnt think of that actually. i love my local gamestop and honestly dont really know why people hate it so much "
The one practice I do not like is that they all but force gamer informer on you..I literary heard a guy say  "Yes this magazine will make the ma better video gamer."  "
ya they used to do that to me.... but now im pretty much friends with everyone there now that my friend/neighbor works there.  so they know not to bug me for anything lol
WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

I got asked if I wanted to buy the strategy guide to Dead Space 2 when I was buying the game itself, the game was £40, the guide £12. I mean other than RPG's would it ever be worth it to buy a guide? Even then you could probably find something better online. 

They must still sell if people are writing them though.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BraveToaster
@DrPockets000 said:
Pretty much.
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By tourgen

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect a new copy to be unopened with the security stickers in place.  Where there 1 time use codes in there?  Who the fuck knows now.. might have been.  If it's opened it's not new.  Ask them next time you bring in an opened copy of the game and ask for a refund.  See how much slack they cut you.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By wickedsc3

Yea this is common at GS.  Good thing i dont buy from them anymore, not that there is anything wrong with them doing this with the display copy but overall little things like this add up and finally i just stopped going there and now get my games delivered saving me gas, time, and usually cost.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By MooseyMcMan

This is why I don't buy things from GameStop. They do stupid stuff like that. Sure, the game will probably work fine (or as fine as the PS3 version of Bayonetta can), but it's the principle of the thing. That could easily be a used copy that they sold for the price of a new one. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By Claude

Nice package.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By canucks23

When i go there to buy a game(which is rare), i make sure it's still sealed. I'm not paying full price for a copy they took home and tried out. when i could drive across the street to the best buy and get an unopened copy.

MegaGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MegaGoat

Ask for sealed
When you don't get sealed, go to Amazon and buy it cheaper, and forget GameStop exists

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I really don't see what there is to complain about...

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I feel like this thread was just an excuse to show us your crotch

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By zombie2011

I think the bigger problem is that you bought the PS3 version of this awesome game.