#1 Posted by dr_mantas (1833 posts) -

Last week I finally bought a controller to use on my PC. My end goal is to play Dark Souls I and II.

However I haven't really used a controller for maybe 10 years, the last time being local multiplayer Halo with some friends.

I need some advice from you gurus - what would be a good game or a couple of games to get a feel for the controller, preferrably purchasable on steam, because I found starting straight from Dark Souls to be not impossible, but still a bit jarring.

Being mouse and keyboard exclusive for that long I'm feeling really rusty.

I was thinking maybe Rogue Legacy, but maybe you have even better suggestions.

#2 Posted by Humanity (9053 posts) -

well it's hard to recommend games without knowing what you enjoy. Preferably you'd want to buy a third person action game to get the hang of using the analog sticks which was the biggest hurdle for me when I switched from PC gaming to consoles.

If you like RPGs then try playing some Skyrim. It's meant to be played in first person I know but it also has slow enough combat that you could get used to walking with the left, aiming with the right and getting used to triggers etc.

As far as third person action with swords goes I'm drawing a blank which is weird. How about some Assassins Creed or Tomb Raider?

#3 Posted by dr_mantas (1833 posts) -

Thanks! I own all the games you mentioned, played them with mouse and keyboard, so the mechanics won't pose a problem.

As far as what I enjoy, RPGs and third person action games are a good fit.

I suppose another important aspect is good controller support, because I can't really set up controlls without knowing what feels good.

#4 Edited by Humanity (9053 posts) -

on average you don't really set up any controls with a controller. I'll only invert the aim, because everyone in 1999 knew that playing inverted in Counter Strike made you better - aside from that I always use the default configuration.

For me it was simply the act of aiming with the analog that was the biggest issue. After years of using a mouse it was really awkward. So I'd say play whatever with aiming and get those buttons down into muscle memory ~ yellow top, green Bottom etc etc.

Small tip: the R3 and L3 buttons are clicking in the analog sticks and not some magical third trigger. That took me a while to figure out.

#5 Edited by M_Shini (551 posts) -

well DMC fits the bill and has good support so that wont be an issue for you.

Just cause 2 if you haven't already played that to death.

Any side scrolling platformer maybe The Swapper will do well for you.

Darksiders 1,2

The Witcher 2

Brothers might be an interesting one will get your co ordination really going even for someone who use's controllers allot like myself.

#6 Posted by dr_mantas (1833 posts) -

Thanks again you guys! I own most of these and will try them when I have time :)

#7 Posted by EdgeKasey (130 posts) -

I second Tomb Raider, played it on pc via controller.....Just turn it on and it works, but that is pretty much almost every game now. Nothing beats playing a gorgeous game via PC on a huge screen from the comfort of the sofa with full home theater sound. I was gunna say Far Cry 3 but then shooters might be frustrating for you coming from mouse and keyboard.....but then maybe it would be a good exercise of patience? :)

#8 Edited by Ozzie (185 posts) -

Dark souls can sometimes needs a lot of precision so I would say try a hard platformer but only after you play some other games that get you used to using all the buttons. I would say Super Meat Boy is a good choice since it's high precision and the controls feel good. After a few of the harder levels later you'll have a good feel for the analog stick.

#9 Posted by Jothel (921 posts) -

Give Skyrim a go, the double stick controls can take a while to get used to and I think that would be a good game to try it with

#10 Posted by ADAMWD (581 posts) -
#11 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (568 posts) -

@adamwd said:

Maybe try a game like DmC Devil May Cry

Yep, this is what I was thinking also. If you can get used to a controller with DmC, should have no issues with Dark Souls. I have to ask though, if the OP is so used to kb&m, why not just stick with that?

#12 Posted by Humanity (9053 posts) -

@adamwd said:

Yep, this is what I was thinking also. If you can get used to a controller with DmC, should have no issues with Dark Souls. I have to ask though, if the OP is so used to kb&m, why not just stick with that?

He probably wants to play videogames like a human being.

#13 Posted by Grillbar (1812 posts) -

just about any game i feel is better with a controller. also fps's if its not multiplayer. some games dont support controller and some dont make sense to use one but they kinda make sense on there own
i actually have a question, so i play with a ps3 controller on my pc, using motionjoy. i cant use it via bluetooth since there is some compatibility problems. anyway.
if i get a xbox controller can i run it wireless.

#14 Posted by believer258 (11788 posts) -

Saints Row 3 or 4. Both are pretty easy and fun. Skyrim works as well.

Rogue Legacy, The Witcher 2, DmC, and Just Cause 2 are all great, but their beginnings might be too difficult if you do not know how to use a controller.

#15 Posted by RonGalaxy (3101 posts) -

Wow, how did you play the bulk of games designed with a controller in mind since then? Most games that aren't shooters suck with m+k. I think my recommendation would be the Batman Arkham games. Pretty easy to grasp, but are a hell of a lot of fun (and require a controller to get any enjoyment from them).

#16 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4338 posts) -

@humanity said:

@hippie_genocide said:

@adamwd said:

Too true

#17 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

Bastion is the first game I played on my gamepad, had no issues adjusting to it halfway into my playthrough with no Xbox controller experience. I imagine you'd like it given your current avatar.

#18 Edited by Dan_CiTi (3259 posts) -

Spelunky! Any Rockstar game, Nidhogg, Samurai Gunn, Braid, Cave Story+, Everyday Shooter, Pixeljunk Eden, Rayman Origins/Legends, Guacamelee, La-Mulana, Speedrunners, Skullgirls, Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe. Really any solid action game or platformer will do. Then go to a 3D action game like DMC, Batman Arkham, Saints Row 3 or 4, maybe even a racing game like Burnout Paradise, or an Assassin's Creed game like 2 or 4.

#19 Posted by SteadyingMeat (1150 posts) -

I found that Dark Souls was a little crappy with a 360 controller because the bumpers are used as the light attack/block buttons. I think you might be able to change that though.

#20 Posted by dr_mantas (1833 posts) -

OP sticking his head back in. I actually really like mouse and keyboard for most games, but I read that Dark Souls has terrible controlls for that so I decided to try something new.

I feel the precision of a mouse is better not only for fps games but anything where you need to survey your environment quickly, like third person stealth games. However I guess anything with analogue movement is better with a controller?

My main input wil stay kb+m, probably.

#21 Posted by Humanity (9053 posts) -

OP sticking his head back in. I actually really like mouse and keyboard for most games, but I read that Dark Souls has terrible controlls for that so I decided to try something new.

I feel the precision of a mouse is better not only for fps games but anything where you need to survey your environment quickly, like third person stealth games. However I guess anything with analogue movement is better with a controller?

My main input wil stay kb+m, probably.

In that case maybe stick with mouse and keyboard for Dark Souls 2. There is no real need for analog movement apart from a very few situations where you have to slowly walk over a narrow ledge. In fact in some situations the analog sticks are problematic because you need to execute a trigger pull for a movement thats either 100% or 0%. There is a specific move in Dark Souls 2 that requires you to push forward and pull a trigger at the same time that I find difficult to pull off on the left trigger.

I'd say definitely try the mouse and keyboard first and if it's utterly terribly switch to controller because there is no real benefit that I can think of from the analogs. In fact being able to move the camera about with the mouse would be a god-send in this game.

#22 Edited by realkman (70 posts) -

Embracing the analog revolution???! Ah!

Give Binary Domain a chance. It's funny, looks good and has big bosses, so you'll need to work these axises.

#23 Posted by xyzygy (9944 posts) -

Try the first few Assassin's Creeds. They use so many buttons at once and you'll be forced to get a feel for it.

#24 Edited by Dimi3je (312 posts) -

I bought a 360 controller a couple of weeks ago for the very same purpose. I was also thinking of playing a few games to get the hang of it before starting Dark Souls, but I dived straight in. I'm still getting use to it, but I'm having a ton of fun! The keyboard & mouse controls in that game are an abomination. All these recommendations seem cool, I'm going to give them a try myself.

#25 Posted by DwigtK (164 posts) -

I'll put a vote in for Spelunky. It is a game that requires some pretty good feel of the controller to be good at.

#26 Edited by mikey87144 (1728 posts) -

You know what I would try a simple platformer. Get used to the way movement works then move up to a 3D action game. I would go with the Batman games. They demand good reflex but doesn't punish you as much as DMC.

@dr_mantas: Speaking of which, any games you recommend for a person doing the opposite?

#27 Edited by Ravelle (1247 posts) -

I recently bought a PS4 controller for the PC and it has been working perfect so far.

I play pretty much every game with a controller if it supports it, except shooters. Mainly because I prefer to sit back and relax instead of hunched over a keyboard.

#28 Edited by Hippie_Genocide (568 posts) -

@humanity said:

@hippie_genocide said:

@adamwd said:

Haha, I agree, but some people get so used to playing everything on a keyboard and mouse that it's not hard for them. I don't think I could ever play a 3rd person action game that way though.

#29 Posted by NTM (7336 posts) -

@humanity: I wouldn't go by color at all, but the letters.

#30 Posted by NTM (7336 posts) -

Dead Space.

#31 Posted by realkman (70 posts) -

@mikey87144: Probably Portal, or a point'n click as a beginner level thing. Botanicula, for example.

#32 Posted by dudeglove (7751 posts) -

There are people who play Street Fighter IV with a keyboard. Play however you like.