#1 Posted by TenStoryMother (85 posts) -

I've been a console gamer since the Atari 2600, but have never played an RTS or MMO on the computer.  Am I missing out on some great gaming experiences, and if so, what games should I try to ease into those genres?  Oh, I did play Halo Wars on the 360 and enjoyed it.  I am, however, a huge Halo fan and wanted to see the game through for the story.

#2 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

RTS games like halo wars on the xbox 360 pale in comparison to a real RTS. 

They are most deffinately an aquired taste but in my opinion there will never be an RTS as good on a console as there is on the PC. 

My personal reccomendations are dawn of war 40k (1 with all the expansions or 2), company of heroes and supreme commander. 

MMOs are another thing altogether. MMOs are PC titles through and through, regardless of the game's existance on a console. 

As for if you're missing anything by not playing a real MMO you'd have to ask someone else, i'm biased after putting 4 years into warcraft and currently playing Eve online.

#3 Posted by empfeix (774 posts) -

You sir have never lived! 

Having said that if you played through Halo Wars and you did not crave for more complexity and depth there may be no saving you.  Try Civilization Revolutions, its a great game for the console and if you like it you may like the PC versions.

#4 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

If you don't own a gaming PC you are missing out on everything.

#5 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
" If you don't own a gaming PC you are missing out on everything. "
Also this.
#6 Posted by newhaap (421 posts) -

I have never been a big fan of RTS or MMO games, but for RTS, I'm giving a second vote for  Dawn of War 40K, although (or maybe because) it's not a traditional RTS game (no base building, resource mining, etc.) 
As for MMOs, I have to admit getting a good group of people together to run around doing quests feels pretty good, but I just can't stand the grind inherent in that genre of games. The only one I enjoyed so far is Lord of the Rings Online, mostly because of the community.

#7 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

This is easy.

Play Starcraft maybe for the single player, and then dive into Starcraft II. Warcraft III is great as well. Civilization is a legendary series, but it can be complex for newcomers. Taking time to learn the game is totally worthwhile, though. Civ IV is a lot of fun. Lastly, I'll put forth a third vote for the Dawn of War games.

For the best MMO experience, get yourself a trial for World of Warcraft. It isn't a coincidence that the game has dominated the MMO market for 6 years and counting.

Blizzard is your friend.

#8 Edited by PenguinDust (12491 posts) -

Well, for RTS, I think you'll have a good time with Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2.  This game has less of the micromanagement normally associated with the genre and focuses more on the hero-characters.  It will probably appeal to you more as someone interested in the story aspects of these games.  Later, if you want something a bit more complicated, try Company of Heroes.  Don't forget, COH Online is in beta so eventually, you could try that for free.

For MMO, there is nothing else more friendly than World of Warcraft.  Early on, it's pretty boring since you spend a lot of time killing and fetching stuff.  However, once you get the hang of things, and join a guild (depending on how friendly and organized the guild is) it gets better.  The most important thing in any MMO is to be outgoing and helpful.  You get what you give in these types of games. 

#9 Posted by newhaap (421 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:
" Well, for RTS, I think you'll have a good time with Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2...

Yes, thanks for the correction on the title :)
#10 Posted by tekmojo (2301 posts) -

Every gamer should see the full spectrum of what gaming has to offer. From the titles that force you to micromanage your base, to the titles that force you to micromanage your social life.
#11 Posted by adam_grif (1144 posts) -

OH MY GOD.

You have never played an RTS on PC?

PURCHASE COMPANY OF HEROES, IMMEDIATELY. 

YOU MAY WISH TO PRE-BOOK AN AMBULANCE FOR WHEN YOUR HEART EXPLODES.
#12 Posted by masterpaperlink (1836 posts) -

I used to play a lot of RTS when i was younger, but i could never make the leap from games like red alert to micro intensive games like COH. 

Also halo wars is crappy.

#13 Posted by Shasam (468 posts) -

If you enjoyed the game play of Halo Wars then you're definitely missing out on something on the RTS side of things. As it's the newest thing out, I would definitely recommend StarCraft II. The multiplayer may be a bit daunting, but there are plenty of tutorials for the single player and it definitely shows you what the classic style of RTS really is. Then, maybe move on to some of the games that have evolved the genre, such as the Relic games (Company of Heroes/Dawn of War II). 

As for MMO's...I don't know. If you have the time, then you can get a lot of value out of them. Developing a character over several hours is definitely something that appeals to me, but it all depends on your taste. The obvious recommendation is World of Warcraft, but if you have a personal liking for something like Star Trek or the DC characters, then you should definitely check one of them out.

#14 Posted by jangofett88 (324 posts) -

I'm not a big RTS fan but the one I keep going back to is C&C: Red Alert 2.

#15 Posted by bunnyboiler (399 posts) -
@Fragstoff said:
" Starcraft 2 "
#16 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@adam_grif said:
"

OH MY GOD.

You have never played an RTS on PC?  PURCHASE COMPANY OF HEROES, IMMEDIATELY.    YOU MAY WISH TO PRE-BOOK AN AMBULANCE FOR WHEN YOUR HEART EXPLODES. "
One of the best posts I've read on Giantbomb.

Genius.
#17 Posted by Tennmuerti (8066 posts) -

Unlike some people here, I would reccomend Dawn of War 1 over the second version. You can frequently get DoW1 with all the later expansions really cheap on Steam these days and I think it's a better "strategy" game then 2 is. DoW 2 is ore like an RPG especially singleplayer. 

Yes I would say you are missing out. Here are some great real time strategies:
Age of Empires series
C&C games (just avoid 4th one)
War/Star Craft games

Some turn based strategy:
Civilization games
Heroes of Might and Magic series (3 and 5 being best)

In MMO's you are missing out on the community. An MMO can gt boring real quick, but if you find a good group of people to play with it's an entirely different experience, it's all about the community IMHO . But they are a timesink usually. The obvious good stuff to try out: WoW, EVE, LOTR, Runescape

#18 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft.

Go.

#19 Edited by TenStoryMother (85 posts) -
@adam_grif said:
"

OH MY GOD.

You have never played an RTS on PC?  PURCHASE COMPANY OF HEROES, IMMEDIATELY.    YOU MAY WISH TO PRE-BOOK AN AMBULANCE FOR WHEN YOUR HEART EXPLODES. "

@adam_grif: I will be sure to wear a plastic jumpsuit if i try Company of Heroes...less cleanup for my wife!
#20 Posted by TenStoryMother (85 posts) -

Thanks for all of the gaming suggestions!  I am interested in Starcraft, due to Brad's unbridled enthusiasm for the game.  Should I dive headfirst into Starcraft II or start with the original Starcraft?  

#21 Edited by adam_grif (1144 posts) -

Skip to SC2. SC1 is extremely archaic these days. Arguably SC2 is too, but everybody still has a huge hardon for the game thanks to the enormous hypetrain and extreme nostalgia factor from the first game. The oldschool RTS model where you had workers to build/gather, farm resources, build structures to increase supply, and the winner is decided based on who manages their economy better is basically dead. SC2 is the only recent game of that kind, and it's a dinosaur, albeit a very pretty and well crafted one.

The best RTS games currently available are Company of Heroes and World in Conflict. For other PC games, somebody recommended Heroes of Might & Magic 3, and this is something I can wholeheartedly agree with. That game is AMAZING, the pinnacle of 2D strategy games. Beautiful art, amazing soundtrack, compelling gameplay.

You can download the Company of Heroes demo on Steam, and I advise you to do so strongly. But don't just take my word for it:

#22 Posted by mau64 (539 posts) -

You should probably play a Command and Conquer or Star Craft. Then check out Civ. games and don't forget about Rise of Nations or Rise of Legends, some of my favorite RTS games.