So I might be making an RPG featuring GB characters

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I been playing around with RPG Maker VX Ace that I got from the humble bundle and this game idea has formed in my head:

The Raid Quest

Story: Crew of the Giant Bomb goes to Japan to get some video games. Due to a series of unfortunate misunderstandings at the Tokyo airport, crew has to scatter and avoid the police. Also somehow Yakuza has taken over the whole second hand video game market and leaking nuclear reactor is mutating plants, animals and people into monsters. Jeff has to gather his crew together, defeat Yakuza, fix the reactor and solve the cop problem.

No Caption Provided

What it is like: It is more about the adventure. Light puzzles, lots of inter actions and small amount of battles. There is also relationship system- think simplified version of Persona 4's link system. Speaking of P4, I think it will use P4-style GB-portraits made by @supernormalstep (if he is OK with it).

Characters:

Jeff is Rapper-class character. Entity known as Darkness lives inside him. Only Jeff can hear or see it.
Jeff is Rapper-class character. Entity known as Darkness lives inside him. Only Jeff can hear or see it.
Most people in Japan speak language that is hard to understand.
Most people in Japan speak language that is hard to understand.
However every character has unique abilities. For example...
However every character has unique abilities. For example...
...Brad can translate Japanese...
...Brad can translate Japanese...
...However, it is unclear if his translations are accurate.
...However, it is unclear if his translations are accurate.

Of-course there is plenty of familiar characters, so playable, some not.

Status: Just testing systems - trying to find easiest way of doing things. It is unclear if I have time or patience to see this thing trough.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#1  Edited By LordAndrew

There had better be demons you can recruit.

Avatar image for exiledastronaut
ExiledAstronaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So I'm guessing Vinny's gonna be the bruiser-type, right? And Rorie can be the pet class!

And will there be a subplot about Drew defecting to North Korea?

Paulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Paulus

Do they defeat the yakuza by mastering the power of the wind through the ancient japanese martial art known as windjamming?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Of course his translations aren't 100% accurate. Who the hell can read romaji?

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nice detail about brad being weak to sleep status, made me chuckle at least ;)

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

"Clearly Not Japanese Girl" My new Waifu

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Sleep status got a good laugh out of me too. Would love to see where you go with this :)

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This seems like a great idea! And like you're off to a solid start (though I think The Darkness should be a little darker).

Avatar image for lucassothegreat
LucassoTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is wonderful. You are now my new best friend.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By justinnotjason
Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

And will there be a subplot about Drew defecting to North Korea?

Make it happen!

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Could be cool.

Good luck. Those games can take a lot more time and energy than you initially imagine.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MindBullet

Looks interesting. I wish you luck with this. Honestly, even if it just ends up being a bunch of screenshots and half-baked ideas I'd still consider it a worthwhile thing.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn I read GB, and Ghost Busters came to mind first. Now I actually want a sweet ass Ghost Busters RPG! I picture action RPG, or turn based. Someone get on this!

emofratparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@lordandrew: What if instead Brad could recruit Dota heroes. Actually just make Brad Yuna from FFX.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

It seems like the hardest thing about this sort of game would be research to make sure you have enough memes and deep cuts to keep the humor going throughout. Good luck.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Brad being weak against sleep status got a nice big grin out of me, I hope you keep at it! Good luck duder!

ExiledAstronaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ExiledAstronaut

@starvinggamer: I'm sure plenty of users would be willing to help with that one :P

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@starvinggamer: I'm sure plenty of users would be willing to help with that one :P

Yep. If you ever need any ideas, just drop a line and I'm sure everyone will come out of the woodwork and start spouting out all kinds of things you might have forgotten/missed.

Anyway, I'm definitely interested in your idea.

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck bud! Looks awesome.

I just hope we get some sort of build out of the few game ideas/projects that appear on and off on the GB forums.

Still duder good luck and I hope to see more screenshots and ideas!

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@myketuna said:
@exiledastronaut said:

Yep. If you ever need any ideas, just drop a line and I'm sure everyone will come out of the woodwork and start spouting out all kinds of things you might have forgotten/missed.

@charlie_victor_bravo: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/history-of-the-bomb-a-community-project-507880/

There ya go Duder, in case ya need it

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JUST TAKE MY MONEY!!!

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

this sounds endlessly exciting. I wish you the best of luck in getting it done duder.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Jadeskye

This has a lot of potential. i'm on board!

charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Status update!

I have been searching scripts (no sense do work that somebody already has done) that might be suitable and modifying them. I feel like have progressed pretty well building the core systems of the game. Also messing around with substring methods and regexp-foolery really twist mind into some crazy creative ideas.

@mindbullet said:

Looks interesting. I wish you luck with this. Honestly, even if it just ends up being a bunch of screenshots and half-baked ideas I'd still consider it a worthwhile thing.

Yeah, this requires quite unique combination of time and motivation. I have been making half finished games over 10 years, so I know that this is likely outcome. One of my goals is to prevent this by making game in modular fashion and maybe even making it episode based. Idea is that this way at least I could manage to do the first chapter and then it could be released to Steam Workshop where others could carry it forward, if I run out of steam.

Main menu screen at the current moment. Icons need to be reworked. Soul arts - menu is where you manage your inner demons.
Main menu screen at the current moment. Icons need to be reworked. Soul arts - menu is where you manage your inner demons.

During the next week I take some time of from code-based stuff and do some tile and mapping work. I have to also run whole bunch of tests with the default battle system to see if it is good/modifiable enough to use in the game.

You Can Help!

If you have ideas, audio or graphics you want to submit, just post them here. If it is good, crazy or bad enough, there is good chance that they will end up in the game (in one form or another). For example, idea that @exiledastronaut mentioned will be used, albeit with a little twist.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I feel like Video_Game_King should be included as an optional uber-boss. Or maybe you just fight the entire moon while VGK quips about obscure, ancient video games and Katawa Shoujo from its surface.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Side quest where you buy schoolgirl panties from a vending machine, then cops show up so you bail, then figure out the panties belong to hatsune miku and not a schoolgirl therefore you are innocent and beef bowls a plenty. After that, brad gets sleepy and gets groped on the train effecting brads combat effectiveness until macguffin then quest over. Emotional story telling up in this bitch.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Somewhere in the game Vinny has to appear in the Dinosaur outfit with roller skates; possibly a battle move?

Gotta include something about their equipment being stolen.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Make Sure Brad has to take medicine or he gets sick, or just doesnt show up. Also you could make sure he has to take somthing to not yawn, or he would lose a turn.

For all you that are sensitive, this is a joke.

Rolkien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks awesome! Even if it actually isn't ever finished it's still pretty cool that you're doing this.

ExiledAstronaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@charlie_victor_bravo: Well, this could be pretty great :) Having Patrick be a White Knight is pretty damn funny by the way

Oh and if super moves are a possibility, maybe Vinny can just say cunt, then the enemies will run away or something :P

I second @hailinel 's idea also

charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hurricaneivan29: Vinny thing definitely fits with jester-style and good call on the stolen equipment.