• 77 results
#1 Posted by HolyCrapItsAdam (448 posts) -

I love games, don't get me wrong. I have been playing them since I was a young child in the 80's but more and more, I just feel like they are wasting time I could spend on other things like learning a new skill/language, interacting with the outside world more than I already do, getting healthier, basically just enjoying life. The same thing goes for the Internet as a whole. I find myself just randomly surfing the web on my laptop or my phone rather than enjoying the world around me. Maybe I'm being rash or maybe ill come back to it in a few years but as for now, I think I'm gonna call it quits and sell all my game stuff. Anybody else feel this way or ever thought about doing this?

#2 Posted by JoeyRavn (4970 posts) -

If you need to take a break, take a break. It's the healthiest option you can take if you feel bummed out by video games and the Internet. But if I were you, I wouldn't sell all my gaming stuff. Trust me, you'll regret it deeply if you ever want to get back into the hobby. Just pack it all up and lock it away in a closet or spare room. But don't sell it.

#3 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

If you need to take a break, take a break. It's the healthiest option you can take if you feel bummed out by video games and the Internet. But if I were you, I wouldn't sell all my gaming stuff. Trust me, you'll regret it deeply if you ever want to get back into the hobby. Just pack it all up and lock it away in a closet or spare room. But don't sell it.

I'd take a middle ground personally. Keep the stuff you still like and could see yourself continuing to play in the future if you come back to it, and certainly keep the hardware around just in case, but get rid of most of the crap you'll never touch again. Keep a couple games around for when you decide you want to play a bit, etc. Chances are, you'll quickly find that the best thing is a bit of a balance. You'll give up games for a while, and then slowly introduce them back in but to a lessened extent. Just keep the important stuff, get rid of the rest and buy yourself a chocolate cake. Because that's about all you'll get out of it.

#4 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

You need more balance. The answer isn't to throw games and the internet out the door, but to make sure you have other hobbies and interests. You can like more than one thing at a time. ;)

#5 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Don't sell your stuff, seriously. Or at least keep the consoles and some titles. If you're not back in six months sell it.

I've seen people quit, sell and start again a few months later. Just take a break and if you play games try to play games with progression. Too many MMO's, multiplayer shooters or other multiplayer orientated stuff might kill your enthusiasm for it.

#6 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

My experience with this is with PCs (in general) and MMOs (as far as games go), not consoles, but after several months of break-taking I found that "fuck this laptop, I want more power" or, "I'd really like a game where I am managing an inventory full of loot and a spell bar full of abilities" and boom, I was back. My advice is don't do anything too rash, because you will probably be back and you don't want to have to buy crap over again.

#7 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

DO NOT SELL YOUR SHIT.

yea, i've gotten that feeling and taken breaks, but that's all they ever ended up being. if you want to shift around your activity priorities, more power to ya, but selling all your shit and potentially missing it all down the line would seriously suck. going through it all and getting rid of the junk however, is totally reasonable.

#8 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Everyone goes through this. If you can put up with a life with no entertainment, then that's great, but most people go crazy when they attempt that. You should attempt it and see how it goes for you.

#9 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2437 posts) -

You'll be back, they all come back.

#10 Posted by TAFAE (150 posts) -

If you aren't enjoying the time you're using to play games, you should probably take a break. That said, don't just throw yourself wholly into something new, you may find that it's really just spending all of your time on any one thing that's causing you problems. I mean, there's obviously some part of you that enjoys games if you've been playing since the 80's, but it's always possible to have too much of a good thing.

@Kerned said:

You need more balance. The answer isn't to throw games and the internet out the door, but to make sure you have other hobbies and interests. You can like more than one thing at a time. ;)

#11 Edited by Willtron (243 posts) -

Not only is this quite irrational, but selling all your shit, then probably buying a good portion of it back is expensive.

As people said, just take a break. Go find other shit to do. Find people to do. Find people to hang out with. Go read, for Christ's sake. If you're going to think playing video games is a waste of time, you can make the argument that almost all forms of entertainment are wastes of time.

Or maybe just even look at new types of games.

#12 Posted by Wampa1 (648 posts) -

@HolyCrapItsAdam: I think you have a good idea there, focusing purely on activities that draw you into fictional worlds can lead to you neglecting some of the experiences outside. But as I'm sure everyone else will say there's no need to give up entirely, just find a healthy balance of stuff like socializing (in person not on facebook or online) and enjoying games. Too much of one or the other leads to malaise, so keep the stuff you know you love and find ways to enjoy all the other opportunities life affords.

#13 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3859 posts) -

I wouldn't sell it unless you need the money. You might regret it later. But by all means take a break. The internet will still be here when you get back and it'll probably still be shitty.

#15 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

Take the break, and maybe come new consoles you'll be a better person who knows how to manage their time a little better and can get back into some gaming.

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (14778 posts) -
@HolyCrapItsAdam Don't sell your shit. Going the extreme the other way will do you no good. Take a break and throw everything in the closet or something but keep your stuff. Eventually you will want to go back and when you do it will be there a d you'll be glad you didn't up and ditch it all.
#18 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5438 posts) -

Yes sir, I've felt the same way you have before. I took a break from games and other frequent hobbies for a while. I then came back to it at a later point in time and had a new excitement for my hobby. It's normal to feel that way. There's no reason to give up certain things you enjoy as long as you practice some moderation. Maybe take a break for however long you feel is best, then see how you feel. I advise you to not sell all of your stuff as that can easily end in regret later on. It's best to not act impulsively. You can have a proactive lifestyle while still indulging in sedentary hobbies. So basically, take a break, keep the stuff most important to you and get rid the crap that isn't. It will satisfy you in the short term without causing grief in the long.

#19 Posted by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

DO NOT SELL YOUR SHIT. Trust me, you will regret it. I did this like 10 years ago when i was burnt on playing games and I still haven't recovered all the games i had. Just take a break. Like 6 months or something and then if you still think your done, sell the stuff you know you'll never play again and keep the stuff you really enjoy.

#20 Posted by dofferos (2 posts) -

I feelt the same way, that games were taking too much of my time, so I stopped playing them. Now I've found that there is much more time to do other things, like exercising and socializing with friends, and generally enjoying everything I do alot more. I probaly start playing again some day but for now I'll focus on my studies. I would recommend staying on the internet because if you use it the right ways it can teach you so much.

#21 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

See you when you get bored in an hour!

#22 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3805 posts) -

This thread is very ironic.

#23 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

My advice, you don't have to keep up both the internet and video games. Just limit yourself mate, and trust me, it doesn't take that much effort to become healthier.

#24 Edited by MrCaptain (364 posts) -

Why does it feel like the worst addicts always try to quit everything cold turkey?

also, selling your shit isnt a bad idea, no point in hoarding stuff. Buying back a console and some new games isnt that expensive.

Unless you mean selling you hyper gaming rig PC, that stuff is pretty expensive to buy back.

#25 Posted by Carryboy (665 posts) -

@Kerned said:

Close the thread we have a winner.

#26 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

So you'll go from one extreme to another. Very smart.

#27 Posted by Kidavenger (3536 posts) -
#28 Posted by LikeaSsur (1513 posts) -

I'm not sure playing video games and enjoying life are mutually exclusive. They're as about as destructive as any other hobby, so do whatever everyone else is saying. Keep it all.

#29 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

I've never really felt like this, but then I'm quite young, and I see spending time with games and the internet as part of exploring and learning about the world. What you're saying is something I've heard a lot of people say though, and I'd advise you to just try taking a break before you just start selling your stuff. Even if you don't come back to video games for years, you could really regret selling all that stuff once you do.

#30 Posted by VoshiNova (1678 posts) -

@Kerned said:

This. Honestly, taking extreme steps in any direction is for the worse. A.k.a selling all of your stuff.

Balance is an important thing that, to my knowledge, isn't really taught - it's experienced.

So hell yea, take a break, but keep your interests/hobbies balanced.

#31 Posted by Turbyne (98 posts) -

Gee, I consider gaming my main hobby but I never play them for more than 3 hours a day, and it rarely comes to that.

Do you force your self to play them or something? You act like you're in some sort of gaming and internet hell, just play games when you want to play games and strive to do all these things you think will better your self. No need to come on to some forum asking a question about it.

#32 Posted by squiDc00kiE (351 posts) -

Balance my friend, balance. If you leave gaming entirely forever, you aren't any more balanced than you were when you played them exclusively. Entertainment has its place, just find where it fits. A hard swing into selling everything, will not fix anything.

#33 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1632 posts) -

@HolyCrapItsAdam: If you genuinely aren't enjoying your time with games, stop playing them and do something you enjoy more. But, if you still like gaming but feel like it's a waste of time for outside reasons, don't do anything rash.

I had a friend from high school that was almost embarrassed that he liked to play video games. We would play games online everyday after school, but he would rarely ever talk about games outside the game itself. When were with other people he would act like he didn't even play games at all. After we graduated he pretty much abandoned games entirely, and I feel like he did this because other people made him feel like games weren't worth his time, even though I know he loved playing them.

So, what I'm getting at here is this:

If you just don't have that love of games anymore and you really do want to move on from them, I wish you well. But if you still enjoy playing games and feel like they are a waste of time because of societal stigma regarding gamers, don't let that bother you and continue doing what you like.

#34 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I see a lot of these threads this time of year. Like others have said, you need to find a balance somewhere. Take a break from games for about a week, and then limit yourself to playing only a few days per week. It pretty much amounts to game fatigue. Unless of course you made a resolution with yourself to cut electronics and social media exposure down to a minimum. That's not always a bad thing, but don't feel ashamed if you come back to it later. That's the self-destructive path. Not everything is a vice, and there are healthy ways to enjoy the things we love.

#35 Posted by gaminghooligan (1438 posts) -

@TheHT said:

DO NOT SELL YOUR SHIT.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yes. Felt this way, sold my shit, realized a few years later that I missed having something to do in the evenings after drinking with the gang.

#36 Posted by onimonkii (2437 posts) -

if you're quitting the internet how are you meant to see our responses?

#37 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

You know both are totally possible right? There is no reason you can't live a normal life and still play games, even very time consuming ones

#38 Posted by Nadril (527 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

This thread is very ironic.

Hey internet game site, I'm thinking of quitting the internet and games.

#39 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

Good luck. It can be a way of life to be a gamer no doubt about that, and if you're done, you're done and I do hope that you'll gain something from investing time into something else.

#40 Edited by Bobby_The_Great (1004 posts) -

Everything in moderation, duder.

Seriously, though; I've felt this way before but here is what I do: Dedicate time to other things and when you do those things, play games later.

Here's what I do to feel productive, you can use this as a guideline if you'd like:

• I wake up almost every day early to work out for an hour. Usually it's to go lift weights, but some days, I just go run/walk when I want to clear my head.
  • Dedicate some nights to non-gaming nights. I don't usually play games Monday nights, Wednesday nights, Thursday nights or Saturday nights. Mondays, I study for my graduate school exam. Wednesday nights I have band practice (I'm in a rock band, so there's my socializing aspect too), Thursdays and Saturdays I dedicate to my significant other. Therefore it forces me out and I'm completely removed from them.
  • I'm also planning on writing a book. Just because. The way I tell myself to do this is just to write 5 pages a day. That's it. 5 pages. If I go past that, great, if not then at least I'm slowly chipping away at it and EVENTUALLY good or not, I'll finish.
  • I work Monday through Friday 9 - 5 so there is that as well.
  • I dedicate 1 night to where I do nothing but game as much as I want, usually my Friday nights.
  • And if all else fails, I call up friends and go socialize.

So take a night to spend learning a language, and take a few nights off. This is what I do to play games and feel productive. I don't watch TV, so games are my hobby. When I'm not doing anything else.

#41 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Try doing a month with only the bare minimum of Internet(paying bills etc) and no games. It will really put things into perspective.

#42 Posted by myketuna (1679 posts) -

@Kerned said:

Been having similar feelings to the OP, but came to this conclusion instead of ridding everything. It's all about balancing things out.

#43 Posted by 9cupsoftea (654 posts) -

SELL IT! I've gone through periods where I gave up on games completely, sold all my consoles, and of course got into it again at a later date. PS2, DS, PSP, 360 - all sold, but I actually bought a PS2 a few months ago and ocassionally play that again now, as well as getting into PC indies again.

The thing is, if you sell all your consoles and games then decide in a year or so you want to play more, you can buy them again for half the price you sold them for. Now is actually a great time to sell your consoles and games too, seeing as we have new ones coming soon.

#44 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

Oh lord. Another one of these.

#45 Posted by Kaiserreich (694 posts) -

See you next week.

#46 Posted by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

Create goals, both long-term and short-term, things that require work and commitment, but also must be things you want. You may find once you set these up and get going, you still have a little time to "waste" playing games :)

Also, I recommend this book:

#47 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I play games instead of watching TV or reading books, I mostly play multiplayer games with friends while being in party chat.

I don't feel like I am wasting my free time with games, I enjoy my time with games.

#48 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

I don't want to sound mean but why are you posting this on a video games web site?

#49 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -

@BigBoss1911 said:

You'll be back, they all come back.

#50 Edited by Ben_H (3348 posts) -

I've almost done this a number of times (I kinda quit playing games during the school year because I have too much to do. I play a few hours a week at the most) but then came to the realization that it wasn't that I was bored with gaming in general, but just bored with what was recently released and what was coming out. Modern games just don't work for me anymore. The number of 2012 titles I bought can be counted on one hand and only 2 of them I actually played a lot. So I bought older consoles and games. I bought a SNES and all the staple games, I bought a ton of N64 games that I remember enjoying when I rented them as a kid, I started playing old PC games, older DS and GBA games (I bought all the Ace Attorneys and those are the most fun I have had with games in years), I dug out my Genesis and played a few games of Barkley's Shut Up and Jam, and so on. I found I had way more fun.  

The typical modern console game is too serious and the focus on story (stories in games are still garbage) has really killed it for me. The only new games the last few years I have enjoyed have been games with either an inconsequential story (like Forza: Horizon, FTL) or games where the story is just a tiny part of the game (like Skyrim. I don't even know/care what the story is but I've played over 150 hours of it). Basically, what I am saying is that the focus on being "gritty", and "visceral" and all those other bullshit descriptors has kinda ruined games for me and I fix that by going back to a time when games were more about fun. Basically what I am saying is Yoshi's Island is superior to every modern game.