Why can't you do both?

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#52  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

If that's what you think is the right thing to do then do it for a while and see if it improves your life outlook. If not then try a little mix of both and just try to limit your time so you can do everything you want to do without giving up on something.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#53  Edited By Eder

@JoeyRavn said:

If you need to take a break, take a break. It's the healthiest option you can take if you feel bummed out by video games and the Internet. But if I were you, I wouldn't sell all my gaming stuff. Trust me, you'll regret it deeply if you ever want to get back into the hobby. Just pack it all up and lock it away in a closet or spare room. But don't sell it.

THIS!!!

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By nintendork666

I agree. Pack your stuff away, but don't certainly don'tt sell it all.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By BestUsernameEver

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By hwy_61

Don't listen to these fools. Get rid of all your shit, use that money to fix your hair and wardrobe, go out and get laid.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By Lord_Xp

I've gone through weeks where I play non-stop games allllll the time. That's mostly in the winter time though since Northeast Ohio gets snow, there isn't to much to do. But in the summer I play much less games and do outdoor stuff such as kayaking and walking around aimlessly. But I wouldn't sell my stuff if I were you. I know that would personally go back to it eventually even if it was for a long time.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only way I could see quitting is like a twelve step program for me personally. So I can not really relate to this at all. Just keep in mind that time enjoyed is not time wasted.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Peanut

I felt like this when I was maybe 20 and super super fucking depressed. Turns out I was just a piece of shit and really did spend too much time playing games or being an ass on the Internet. It's actually really easy to lead a normal life and still be super into games, but sometimes it takes something drastic to make you realize you really are spending too much time on one thing, even if it's something you love. For me, that drastic thing was having my relationship with my girlfriend of 3 years disintegrate (fixed up after about a year, 8+ years and engaged now) and following that things really turned around for me. It's easy to feel like you're wasting your life playing games, but if it's something you love, then it isn't a waste. You've just got to learn how to balance things properly.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By Raven10

As everyone else has said I would avoid selling your games. You never know when you might want to come back to gaming and having to recover all those lost games will be expensive and difficult. Just put them in a closet or attic and try some new things. I know someone who didn't play games for a good year before he finally got back into them. He had hundreds, if not thousands of games and a dozen or more different systems. If he had sold all that he would probably never have gotten it all back. But he didn't and now he still has those games to play.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By Sackmanjones

How about you do all that stuff you listed and just work games in once in awhile?

JNSK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By JNSK

I had the same notion a while back, that Video Games (and by extension most forms of entertainment) was a waste of time compared all the other things you could be doing, but I came back when I realised that as long as you enjoy something it isn't really a waste of time, because at the end of the day, life is kind of pointless anyway, so the best thing to do with it is to spend it doing things you enjoy doing, and to me, playing video games is just as much "enjoying life" as anything.

Don't sell your shit because one day (and I'm guessing it's not gonna be too long) you'll realize that if you spend all your time learning a new language, exercising or whatever, life gets really fucking boring without some good ol' entertainment.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By captain_clayman

Don't sell your stuff. Get rid of stuff you don't like, but I would at least keep the games that are meaningful to you. You may regret throwing a huge part of your life away. I mean obviously, if there's other stuff you want to do with your life (which I understand completely) but I'd keep the stuff you value in a box in a basement or something just in case. Too many times I've sold stuff only to regret it immensely.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#64  Edited By nerdsbeware

I've had lulls where I just wanted nothing to do with games. They just didn't interest me at all. So I watched some movies and TV, listened to music, did some of my other hobbies and after a few months, something gaming wise caught my ear, and I jumped back in. A break is good every now and then.

dpedal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By dpedal1

@nerdsbeware said:

I've had lulls where I just wanted nothing to do with games. They just didn't interest me at all. So I watched some movies and TV, listened to music, did some of my other hobbies and after a few months, something gaming wise caught my ear, and I jumped back in. A break is good every now and then.

I actually did this exact thing over the christmas holidays. Took about 3 months off of gaming...did some reading, caught up on some movies. Caught the DMC quicklook and BAM!!! I am back in. I agree with others who have said if you enjoy something it is not a waste. I truly think taking a break is the way to go. Wait until Last of Us Comes out......you'll get pulled back in.

Also.....PLEASE DON'T SELL YOUR STUFF, you will regret it.

graf1k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By graf1k

@nerdsbeware said:

Agree wholeheartedly. I get burned out on gaming every now and then to the point where it feels like work rather than something I'd actually like to do. I can only imagine how much it must suck when it IS your job and you have to play them even if you don't feel like it. Best way I've found to avoid burning yourself out is just to do everything in moderation. I basically play a game now until I get bored or frustrated and rather than continue plowing through when that happens, I just stop and do something else.

But getting out into the world and 'improving yourself' is never a bad thing. Gaming should be a hobby, not your entire reason for living. That's not healthy.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By SexyToad

SELL YOUR SHIT!
Just kidding, do what the other people are telling you to do. Take a break.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#68  Edited By Tireyo

Do what you wanna. =-\

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#69  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#70  Edited By AURON570

It happens, I've had similar feelings over the past year or two, and I'm only 20 years old.. Sometimes when I'm playing games I get the feeling that I could be doing more work or being more productive. Just don't stress about it and always be open-minded going forward. I'm half telling this to you and half telling this to myself.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#71  Edited By DeF

@HolyCrapItsAdam: looking at your achievement list, it seems you've been literally buying every major game from last year close to day one. you may just want to cut back a little. don't buy/play a game unless you are genuinely interested in it instead of going with the hot game of the month/week. there's no need to immediately sell all your stuff (unless you know for sure that you will never ever replay certain games or something).

but if you think a cold turkey detox is the only way to get you to do other things then that's how it's gotta be.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Rattle618

nothing in excess!

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By holycrapitsadam

I appreciate all the feedback. Ive enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and am taking it to heart. I won't sell all my stuff, but maybe just my 3DS and VITA since those barely get any use. Also, I feel like a little context is needed specifically for DeF. I am a manager at GameStop so I get a bunch of games for free and can check out any other game I want. I think it might be the environment I am in as well leading to my want to take a break. I am around it all day everyday so I think my brain is just overloaded with games haha.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Kerned
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By TruthTellah

@Kerned said:

@Blu3V3nom07 said:

Paul Miller from The Verge is doing something like that! Go read that shit!!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/8/3007525/paul-miller-offline

Ugh. Paul Miller has willfully turned his life into a publicity stunt. I've enjoyed his columns over the past year, but come on...

Didn't Paul Miller end that at CES a few weeks ago? I think he's back online again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for you. Just keep your game stuff.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Kerned

@TruthTellah: I think his year is up in March.

pureguava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#78  Edited By pureguava

Please don't sell your games and gear. Consider it a collection that you can hand down to younger generations in your family tree. These consoles will be relics of the past in 30 years, no sense in selling them off. They are also the tools of your hobby and pastime. Bob Ross wouldn't have thrown away his brushes if he needed a break, would he?? Martha Stewart didn't sell off her cookware when she went to prison. OK, bad examples - but you get the point.

You sound like you have my personality... one extreme to the other. Instead, take a break, add more activities outside the home to your schedule, but don't jump ship completely. As with anything in life, indulge in moderation.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#79  Edited By ShadowMoses900

I recommend trying to find a balance, have your real life but still play games on your downtime as a hobby. That's what I do, I do not recommend selling your systems though, you'll regret that big time.