So, I think I'm kind of done with multiplayer shooters.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Hey guys.  I'm going to ramble for a few sentences to make sure I'm not alone with this weird, newfangled perspective of mine.  

Modern Warfare 2 first ignited this fire (or stamped it out, to keep the metaphor intact). I was playing a bunch of it, probably an hour or so a day, and the game's little problems started grating me a bit. You know, the usual culprits--things like hitboxes and killcam discrepancies and One Man Army-exploits. Like any passionate relationship, soon those little things, things that I'd tried for so long to ignore, began to deteriorate the experience I was having with the game until it was little more than a continual frustration. She didn't care how my day was or whether I'd eaten at work. She only wanted my money and my sex. And even then! Oh, the complaints! 

I figured I'd pack my bags, then. Pack my bags and move on to a new lover. They're easy to come by anyhow.  

I snagged a copy of Battlefield: Bad Company 2. After about twenty hours clocked of in-game time, I'd already hit that same point of frustration. Different things creeped under my skin this time, though. My teammates online would rather sit back and snipe than protect or attack any objective spot. And on the rare occasion my team was aggressive, our ranks were cut through like we'd wanted to show the world what it was like to cut through enemies made from butter. I quickly grew tired of the hard swings from pummeling a team to getting pummeled. One to the other, back and forth. Matches were never competitive.  

Again, I drifted away from this mistress, longing for a true love. In my early high school days, I had a crush on the preppy girl everyone loved: Halo 2. I'd had a brief encounter with the younger sister, Halo Reach, a while back. It'd been heated for a bit, but we'd both known it was nothing serious. Not built to last. But I came back, crawling, crying, begging.  

Reach took me in, but it was only a momentary comfort. As now, in even shorter time than had been needed with the past two succubi of the night, I'd grown irritated and spiteful of my experience with Reach. Of the three, it was my favorite, but even that attachment wasn't good enough to keep us together.  

--- 

Long, unfortunately embellished story short, I don't think there's a multiplayer shooter out there with my name on it. I mean, Modern Warfare 2, Battlefield, and Reach are three reasonably different multiplayer ventures. They've all got their respective angle, you know? But playing them for any amount anymore is just frustrating. The problem is that a lot of my good friends, to whom I don't live particularly close any longer, use these games as veritable water coolers. These are the games they play to be social. But it's like chilling at a brewery where the beer really sucks! All the time! All the beer! 

Am I crazy, or am I, like, crazy?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

But it's like chilling at a brewery where the beer really sucks! All the time! All the beer!     

That line made this worth reading.  =P 

I guess I'd say I'm in the same position. I lost the desire to play these games right after CoD4. I never bought World at War, MW2, or Black Ops. Never bought Halo Reach, or ODST. Never bought Bad Company 2. I just can't do it anymore, man. That said though, I did play some Halo 3 online with my cousin a few days ago. That was fun in a spurt. Definitely not something I'm gonna get all of the way back into though. 

All good things must come to an end.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Example1013
@Sir_Ragnarok: This post makes me wistful for the SOCOM 3 days, when the only balance issues were people exploiting geometry and using a couple of extremely odd bugs that allowed for weird things like basically playing on a different map and such, and those were few and far between.

Ah, the simpler days, when there were no perks or killstreaks to worry about; just you and your gun against the other guys and their guns. No quirks like One Man Army, no melee to screw with things. And the matches were hosted on servers, so there'd be both no host advantage and no network issues.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Nah, you're not crazy. I played a lot of multiplayer some years ago but I've lost interest in it entirely. The reasons to play have simply vanished because I don't care about bragging rights, have way more games than I did back then, and don't find the competitive multiplayer experience deep or engaging. A cooperative runthrough of a game with a suitable campaign is the one exception to that rule.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Jaktajj
@Sir_Ragnarok: As someone who's not a big fan of multiplayer shooters - let me say in a totally unbiased fashion, good for you my friend! There's a WOOOORLD of decent games out there you could be playing rather than Call of Honor or Medal of Duty or Halo: Stretch or what have you!
Lev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6  Edited By Lev

I know what you mean, yet I haven't exactly felt your same frustration because I've never even been able to get so deeply involved in a shooter. I'm more for single-player campaigns because... well, many of the things you said - and simply because I don't really feel like hanging out amongst a bunch of people who spend their entire lives in one virtual game.

My brother is that way - like you described - one of those people who plays the game to be "social". He plays all the time (probably more hours a day than most people work). How he gets his money, I do not know. I'm glad if it makes him happy, but sometimes I question where it is a legitimate happiness, or more of a class-based authority kick he gets out of feeling superior to others. Judging from the fact that most his online friends are half his age, I think it leans toward the latter. I don't know - if he or you really enjoy it, all the power to you. I just think at the end of the day I'd like to feel like I did more. Even if that "more" is just playing the same amount of time in 20 different titles - I've never really been able to understand how people can transform their social nature into something that happens in a relatively non-social medium.

Maybe I'm just too jaded or antisocial to see the thrill in it, but one thing I know for certain is that whole deal of living in a single game is not for me. I prefer to spread my gaming time out amongst all the great games that come out, and not solely the latest big shooter(s).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owl_of_minerva: I really enjoy me some good first-person shooter campaigns with friends, but, yeah, I suppose you've pretty much got it. I enjoy singleplayer affairs a lot more than slogging through match after match where I'm grinding my way up a carrot-on-a-stick system against dudes infinitely more experienced at the game's ins-and-outs.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#8  Edited By Little_Socrates

You're not crazy for not liking a multiplayer component of a game. It's MULTIPLAYER. 

Though Black Ops was actually a surprisingly different experience from those mentioned. That said, different isn't your problem, it's niggling balance issues. 
Maybe go play TF2 on PC? That's supposed to be ultra-balanced now with all the patching Valve does, right?

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Sambambo

Playing online shooters with random people should never be more than an occasional fling. Get some real friends to join you and you'll be laughing.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Modern Warefare 2 isn't a shooter, it's more like a shooter simulater, or like a My First Shooter: Baby Steps edition  

play some counter strike or rainbow six 

original socom  

you know, game's without flaws or annoyances, just gun skill  

ahh those were the days....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Little_Socrates: Maybe balance issues are the problem *and they definitely are sometimes). Probably too, I'm just not ultra-competitive like my 17-year-old self.  

Anymore, I'm more concerned with relaxing during gameplay, or finding some manner of cathartic stimulus in it. And multiplayer just doesn't cut those bones like it used to.
Lassegp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Lassegp

I couldnt agree more Sir Ragnarok. I played loads of CoD back in the good old CoD 2 + 3 days. But ever since its been downhill for me. Getting annoyed with bugs, cheats and an army of preteens with a fouler mouth than my grand old man. Which by the way, is saying a lot. 

I have turned my attention to single player experiences and when i finally play some MP, its Fifa (im european) on the couch against a real life buddy next to me. Which is more fun than i ever had playing in clans and such. 

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By roborobb

I'm personally getting sick of every shooter playing it safe with the modern warefare formula. Don't get me wrong, that's a great game but in order to progress the industry we need more innovation desperately.

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By matti00

I know how you feel, I've tried a variety of multiplayer shooters and I haven't been able to get into any of them since Unreal Tournament 2003. I miss Instagib mode.

<3 UT2003 <3

@Lassegp said:

" I have turned my attention to single player experiences and when i finally play some MP, its Fifa (im european) on the couch against a real life buddy next to me. Which is more fun than i ever had playing in clans and such.  "

Also this. Playing FIFA on the couch with some of my closest friends is, to me, the pinnacle of multiplayer gaming.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@Lassegp said:
" I couldnt agree more Sir Ragnarok. I played loads of CoD back in the good old CoD 2 + 3 days. But ever since its been downhill for me. Getting annoyed with bugs, cheats and an army of preteens with a fouler mouth than my grand old man. Which by the way, is saying a lot.  I have turned my attention to single player experiences and when i finally play some MP, its Fifa (im european) on the couch against a real life buddy next to me. Which is more fun than i ever had playing in clans and such.  "
I remembered playing so much CoD 1 and UO. Carentan and a 24/7 large player (of 48) beach server.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CptBedlam

I became sick with this kind of games after about two years of excessively playing Counter-Strike (beta 1 to 6.5). When the COD4 MP Beta was released, I had some fun with it but I ended up playing only the SP of the full game. To me, these games feel like a huge waste my time now, doing the same stuff over and over. Instead I use my gaming time to experience the many great SP games out there (complemented by the occasional cooperative experience). Also: couch coop/splitscreen mp >>> online gaming.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Example1013
@CptBedlam said:
" Also: couch coop/splitscreen mp >>> online gaming. "
This is the truth that makes me hate the current development environment. I know only one other person who has a PS3, and he's in the room next to mine, so I really have no one to play with in online multiplayer games--even co-op ones--unless my roommates are down for some blops. My friends and I haven't been able to sit down and run through a story mode together since Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and that game is like 4 years old by now, and we've played it waaaay too many times. 

The other good old days I remember were back when you could play through the campaign in co-op, like with Star Wars: Battlefront, or when the entire game featured drop-in/drop-out co-op, like Champions of Norrath.
sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By sameeeeam

I'm in the same position here. In fact, I've sort of been feeling that way ever since MW2. I'm hoping for BF3 to renew my interest.

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ClaritySam
@RoboRobb said:
" I'm personally getting sick of every shooter playing it safe with the modern warefare formula. Don't get me wrong, that's a great game but in order to progress the industry we need more innovation desperately. "
/ Signed!  After Medal of Duty, Killzone of Duty and now even Crysis of Duty I'm ready for something new.
pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pigmartyr
@Sir_Ragnarok: 
What exactly are you thinking is going to happen to the genre? There just isnt a lot they can do to them and still call them FPS. We've had vehicles, ticket systems, squad based, and super polished games yet we continue to get several of these each and every year.  I'm not shocked to see alot of people that share your opinion because these titles have turned into the yearly sports title offerings that can't hope to justify your hard earned money. 

I guess I see one of the major problems is the longevity of the game. Alot of these games see a sharp drop in multiplayer as everyone goes back to playing Halo or MW and if you want a persistent community you are forced back into those games. Who wants to pay $60 for bullet storm only to have the online component dry up in two weeks?
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CptBedlam
@example1013:  Fortunately, it seems coop gaming has made somewhat of a comeback recently. Lots of shooters incorporate coop these days (Gears, the new KZ) and the traditional top-down games are back as well on XBLA/PSN with titles like Lara Croft. Also, I am mildly excited for Hunted: The Demon's Forge which comes out in May. That could be a fun coop-focused  game.
Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Ramone

I only play online shooters with friends, it's no fun otherwise. However I am finding myself playing a shit tonne of FIFA online and that has proved to be pretty entertaining.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By nintendoeats

I agree, but I guess for different reasons.

Have you played Counter Strike?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Hizang

I was way into them, I only even got into them like last year though, I bought Modern Warefare 2 and it was great, then a few months later Black Ops came out. I played both of these like 2 hours a day, it gt to the point where I would just sit in all day and play them. But then in Black Ops I got to leval 50 and presitisged, which starts you back off at leval 1 with no money or my stats or any of the wepons unlocked. I kinda burned out of it then. I am however getting into online fighting games now, Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and the 3DS version of Super Street Fighter IV
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By mikemcn

Someone needs to mix it up 

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By buft

im still playing battlefield bad company/vietnam expansion and i enjoy it thoroughly but thats because i solely play online with a buddy of mine so even if the team isnt working together i know i always have his skills to rely on for support. 
I got sick of Call of Duty some time between world at war and modern warfare 2 which cumulated in me skipping black ops entirely, its not so much the game but the community, there are some nice people playing but there are entirely to many whiners, douche bags and poor sportsmen playing that it detracts from the overall experience. Currently im playing Crysis 2 and I'm likely to try the multiplayer out.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I had the same problem as you, just decided to play singleplayer games on the hardest diffidulties. I find it much more rewarding.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By BombKareshi

I'm totally with you. This is why I prefer single player or co-op multi-player.

It's also why I've come to interpret the Game Experience May Change During Online Play warning as "Game Might Suck Online".

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@example1013 said:
" @CptBedlam said:
" Also: couch coop/splitscreen mp >>> online gaming. "
This is the truth that makes me hate the current development environment. I know only one other person who has a PS3, and he's in the room next to mine, so I really have no one to play with in online multiplayer games--even co-op ones--unless my roommates are down for some blops. My friends and I haven't been able to sit down and run through a story mode together since Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and that game is like 4 years old by now, and we've played it waaaay too many times.  The other good old days I remember were back when you could play through the campaign in co-op, like with Star Wars: Battlefront, or when the entire game featured drop-in/drop-out co-op, like Champions of Norrath. "
I feel the same way. I had a catharsis when Resident Evil 5 came out, actually; my friend came over, and I realized that if he wanted to play the game with me, he'd have to go back home. 
FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By FesteringNeon

I'm done too.  

SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.
Super_Yosh_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Super_Yosh_64

I know how you feel.  I'm definitely burnt out from all the FPS that come out now.  For me HALO 2 was the tip of the iceberg.  After that FPS became too generic and too many "perks" were added in.  The last FPS that I played daily and enjoyed was CoD4.  Unfortunately video games as a whole are suffering due to the popularity of FPS games.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MeierTheRed

I never really cared about multiplayer other than online co-op in games. But Bad Company 2 really has its grip on me still. Probably played close to 80 hours online so far, and im still enjoying it. But i totally agree on what you say. I fucking hate people dicking around not doing what they are supposed to do. turning each mach into a gian Death Match disregarding objectives.

And im still amazed some people cant spot a tank even if it ran them over, morons.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Twisted_Scot

COD 4 was the last great MP game for me. I played all that followed but they fell flat. I still play Black Ops, and still generally have fun. I just cant understand how people who have prestiged and in their combat record have played the game for 15 days and still so F*****G terrible at this game. Its the same as all other COD games! Definite lack of skill with most people in B.O for some reason. Sick and tired of going on a team, getting a fair 20 - 2 k/d ratio and still getting completely raped by the other team just because most people on the team are pulling 3 kills 19 deaths shit.
Gave up on BF:BC 1 & 2 for same reason that cant play team game with random XBL users as all they do is snipe from a hill and watch the objective be destroyed. Recently gave Crysis 2 MP a shot. Absolute shit. 
Hoping Brink fills the gap.

Avatar image for championoftheworld
ChampionOfTheWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FPS multiplayer is full of little kids who think playing rap music over their mic while cussing others out is kewl. Be glad you're no longer part if it.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#35  Edited By dudacles

I dislike playing most competitive multiplayer games. However, I'm always down for some co-op.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mpgeist

I've started playing jrpgs again since I'm so burned out on shooters. Never thought I'd enjoy them again but I am.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By LegalBagel

I'm in the same boat for the most part.  The combination of shooters getting fairly stale and people who play all day being much better at them than me has turned me off on them.  Note I'm not counting TF2, which is not a shooter and instead an advanced class-based hat simulation.  I go back to that pretty often. 

The best multiplayer experience I've had this year has been Assassin's Creed by far.  New innovative concept, requires a lot of strategy, and uses some pretty awesome gameplay as a base.  Though last I tried to play that I had a lot of trouble finding a game sadly. 

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@Sir_Ragnarok: Try Quake Live.
E_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By E_rock

I totally agree, I'm really starting to get burned out on multiplayer shooters as well.  It's to the point where I almost feel bad for buying CoD black ops... I played through the single player and that was pretty good, but I never made it past level 30 in the multiplayer before completely stopping.  So basically that game lasted me all of 3 weeks.  Don't even ask me why I bought the map pack a few weeks ago, cause I have no clue how I got sucked into that...  To be fair I'll still fire up a dead ops arcade or one of the other zombies maps when one of my friends come over, but beyond that I never touch that game anymore. 

Instead of wasting my time dealing with the retard screamer children characteristic of the current FPSs, I've been digging through the back catalog with gamefly and playing a lot of the single player games I missed over the past few years.  I've definitely found some gems in there like Alpha Protocol (yah that's right, I said it...), Dante's Inferno, and Splinter Cell Conviction.  Whenever I want to actually play a multiplayer shooter, TF2 is my go to game lately.  Ya know, a game that actually requires teamwork and shuns away small obnoxious children?? Otherwise, I'm content right now with sticking with single player games.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cookiemonster

Yeah, fps games stopped being fun for me a while ago, particularly the multiplayer.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By 234r2we232

It was funny listening to Jeff talk about all these "modern shooter" games populating the market, and then went on to say that Battlefield 3 was doing "interesting things". By that, does he mean "play more and look more like Call of Duty, but with some buildings that can be knocked down. Also tanks"... because that's kind of the same thing as all these other games. Do I unlock weapons as I level up too?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By Bollard
@Little_Socrates said:

" You're not crazy for not liking a multiplayer component of a game. It's MULTIPLAYER.  Though Black Ops was actually a surprisingly different experience from those mentioned. That said, different isn't your problem, it's niggling balance issues. Maybe go play TF2 on PC? That's supposed to be ultra-balanced now with all the patching Valve does, right? "

They patch the damn thing with a 100mb+ patch every other friggen day so I hope so. I hate opening up Steam cause I just know it's gunna patch and crap up my internet. 

EDIT: Also, to the OP I'm hoping that BF3 will bring us out of this COD filled messhole multiplayer FPS games have become since CoD4. I think it's also a shame that you said MW2 was the first experience that brought you into being excited about multiplayer shooters, COD4 was better in so many ways and I'm glad I spent as much time on it as I did. It's quality. Unlike the new CODs.  

If BF3 isn't much of a change... well I'll go back to Skyrim and all will be well :)
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By iam3green

yep, multiplayer games just have a bunch of bugs now in days. it's pretty crazy that developers make crappy games. modern warfare 2 was kind of issues that never got fixed. black ops is kind of the same and stuff.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By animateria

Only MP FPS I can stand is TF2. 

And by stand, I mean I played 28 hours and might play more... eventually at some point in the future... maybe.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jmfinamore

For me, the thing with multiplayer shooters is that I can never let them become my main game. If I do that, I burn myself out pretty quickly. Instead, I try to always keep 1 multiplayer shooter around to play once a week or so when I don't want to play a normal game. Keeps the game exciting and stops me from feeling burnt out. I still love playing BC2 solely because I think the most "days" I've played it in a row is like a week since release. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iam3green said:
" yep, multiplayer games just have a bunch of bugs now in days. it's pretty crazy that developers make crappy games. modern warfare 2 was kind of issues that never got fixed. black ops is kind of the same and stuff. "
I originally wrote "So, I think I'm kind of done with multiplayer games" as the title of this post, but that's definitely not true.  

I still play Hot Pursuit like I'd die without it. I love Burnout Paradise, and I'm really excited for Mortal Kombat. So I can't generalize that broadly. But I feel you.