#1 Posted by Trevorisamazing (60 posts) -

Then why can they run? And why can they use weapons? That's not like, a thing that "zombies" can do.

So my real question is, do you think that Capcom is saying "Zombies" but just breaking all the rules, or is there going to be a twist that they are actually infected, or some other kind of different thing?

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Trevorisamazing said:

Then why can they run? And why can they use weapons? That's not like, a thing that "zombies" can do.

So my real question is, do you think that Capcom is saying "Zombies" but just breaking all the rules, or is there going to be a twist that they are actually infected, or some other kind of different thing?

Its a new virus. Thats the fixit for all the RE games.  

Also zombies does not all ways mean slow moving dead bodies. 
#3 Posted by Trevorisamazing (60 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: I've always taken "zombie" to mean a Romero style zombie. I don't consider the things in 28 Days Later or Left 4 Dead to be zombies. To me, zombie means something has died and come back to life, it's moving slowly, and you can only kill it by shooting it's head. Other mechanics are fine, but if these "zombies" can run and use weapons, then what is the distinction between them and the Las Plagas infected from RE4?

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Trevorisamazing said:

@The_Laughing_Man: I've always taken "zombie" to mean a Romero style zombie. I don't consider the things in 28 Days Later or Left 4 Dead to be zombies. To me, zombie means something has died and come back to life, it's moving slowly, and you can only kill it by shooting it's head. Other mechanics are fine, but if these "zombies" can run and use weapons, then what is the distinction between them and the Las Plagas infected from RE4?

New virus. Also different classes of zombies.  

The general term for zombies is just "Undead" Be it slow or fast. Or those damned Red Heads. 
#5 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

Think Jeff said that there are different kinds of zombies. Some shamble and are your typical zombie while others run or use weapons. It sounds more appealing to have varied enemies is probably the reason why they behave differently. I don't think most players would enjoy fighting slow zombies for most of the game.

#6 Posted by Ducksworth (656 posts) -

Running Zombies aren't really new to the Resident Evil series or the whole Zombie "lore". I don't remember seeing any Zombie with a weapon in the trailer unless you mean the big guy who knocked down Weskers son in which case he's probably a some form of a Tyrant.

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9758 posts) -

The reason why they weren't zombies in 4 and 5 was that they were being controlled by parasites, not infected with a virus. Totally different!

#8 Posted by NTM (7034 posts) -

I don't like how you're putting zombies in quotes. If you're not interested in the recent ways of Resident Evil, too bad for you.

#9 Posted by Trevorisamazing (60 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan: I know. And I liked that. They didn't act like zombies, so they didn't call them zombies. I was happy with that way of dealing with it.

#10 Edited by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

They were only zombies in 1-3 because they were people who had only recently been infected with the T-virus (and G-virus). Prolonged exposure turns them into more extreme variants like Hunters and Lickers. A zombie is just in the initial stages.

Infect a room full of people with the T-virus. They'll ache, their skin will start to peel and slump off, they'll lose higher cognitive function, their nervous system, skeletal and muscle structure will begin to alter, and you'll have a room full of Lickers.

If you care.

#11 Posted by Trevorisamazing (60 posts) -

@Brodehouse: Which, again is totally fine. If they called these things like, "cocooners" or something else, since that's an awful name, I'd be totally cool. I just have severe linguistic obsessions, and it just strikes me as odd that Capcom, who, from the differences between 1-3 and 4-5, seemed to also use the word "zombie" specifically, have gone this path. I don't know. Maybe it's just me.

#12 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

To clear things up, a zombie is not something infected by anything. A zombie, and this is the definition, is a human, or corpse, possessed/controlled by some sort of supernatural power. No virus, no parasite, no weird chemicals.

Back to the point, the shambolic and slow 'zombie' is an old one. Playing a game like resident evil, where you do eventually get some pretty heavy weaponry, a horde of slow moving, rotten corpses would be fairly easy to overcome in the final stages of the game. If it jumps, spits, sprints or blows up it adds variety. And, there are no rules when it comes to 'zombies' really.

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (34611 posts) -

Wait, how does that break the rules? Weren't they breaking the rules by never having them be dead in the first place?

#14 Edited by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

@Trevorisamazing: The characters in the game refer to them as zombies because that's what they called them. The term 'licker' comes from survivors of the RCPD. Stop trying to arrange everything to fit some zombie dictionary that only you are allowed to define.

The victims of RE1-3 suffered from the T and G viruses. The victims of RE4 and 5 suffered from Las Plagas (and its mutation Uroboros).

These victims appear to suffer from the C virus, which considering it appears to be based off Wesker's DNA, which itself was an amalgam of the T virus and some other designer strains, would make sense for Chris to label as zombies.

#15 Posted by Lukeweizer (2509 posts) -

Zombies have been running for years.

#16 Posted by Trevorisamazing (60 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: They totally die, at least in the first two. Right? I mean I don't think you ever see it, but I assumed they had died off screen and come back.

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (34611 posts) -

@Trevorisamazing:

What about the itchy/tasty diary entry? That implied that the zombies start off living and then become zombies.

#18 Posted by Trevorisamazing (60 posts) -

@Video_Game_King:

I always took that particular entry as degeneration of his brain or something before death occurred.

#19 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

There are no Zombie rules.

#20 Posted by AngelN7 (2959 posts) -

That whole "we want real zombies back" is dumb I prefer the fast zombies or las plagas monsters than shambling old boring zombies but people cannot move on and nostalgia weights a ton so we have stuff the C-Virus (why not the Z-virus? C-vrius sounds like an in joke from Capcom, Capcom-Virus), but at the end of the day who cares you're still gonna kill them dosn't matter how you call them.

#21 Posted by MiniPato (2657 posts) -

I'm tired of this viral discrimination! Can't zombies and infected use the same water fountain? Go to the same park? Be buried in the same cemetery? When will the hate end?!

#22 Posted by bighat_logan (182 posts) -
@AngelN7 said:

That whole "we want real zombies back" is dumb I prefer the fast zombies or las plagas monsters than shambling old boring zombies but people cannot move on and nostalgia weights a ton so we have stuff the C-Virus (why not the Z-virus? C-vrius sounds like an in joke from Capcom, Capcom-Virus), but at the end of the day who cares you're still gonna kill them dosn't matter how you call them.

it's C because that cocoon thing jeff was talking about.
#23 Posted by Lysergica33 (480 posts) -

@Trevorisamazing said:

Even Romero eventually started toying with the idea of zombies gaining some sort of rudimentary intelligence in Land of the Dead. Fucking terrible movie but since it's Romero, it counts. Hell, the very first zombie in Night of the Living Dead uses a rock to try and break the car window. A kind of zombie that has enough of a mind to use guns isn't too far fetched to me.

#24 Posted by HistoryInRust (6215 posts) -

Whatever, man. Zombies totally used weapons in Land of the Dead. Anything's possible. 

#25 Edited by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -

I hate the way they call Zombies in The Walking Dead, "Walkers". So, to people who live in a universe where zombies in media have never existed, the most identifiable thing about these infected is the fact that they fucking walk? I could see that term being used if there were a number of various types of Zombies in that universe, but nope.

edit: @Lysergica33 said:

@Trevorisamazing said:

Even Romero eventually started toying with the idea of zombies gaining some sort of rudimentary intelligence in Land of the Dead. Fucking terrible movie but since it's Romero, it counts. Hell, the very first zombie in Night of the Living Dead uses a rock to try and break the car window. A kind of zombie that has enough of a mind to use guns isn't too far fetched to me.

Agreed. In STALKER there were 'zombified' uh, stalkers who were slow and had terrible aim, but were quite deadly in numbers.
#26 Posted by Daveyo520 (6597 posts) -

Ok, pretend these guys die right before they turn into zombies just like you pretended for the old ones. Boom right before they turn their body dies, problem solved.

#27 Posted by Humanity (7957 posts) -

Since Resident Evil has always focused on a virus I don't know why they were ever considered zombies. Obviously they move and act like zombies in most RE games so thats why we always referred to them as such.

In the classical sense zombies are dead bodies that come back to life, not people infected by a virus.

#28 Edited by Willtron (238 posts) -

Resident Evil 'zombies' don't follow the classification of Romero zombies. They didn't as soon as viruses were introduced into the mix.

And this is a video game. As much as Romero is quite possibly my favourite director of all time, his philosophy in film of a shambling, slow-moving metaphor for the inevitability of death doesn't translate well to video games. Slow-moving zombies are fucking boring, unless done extremely, extremely well in video games--film, it's different. And... well, it's fucking hard to make slow-moving zombies fun in a video game, especially for an extended period of time. It works in movies. Doesn't work so well in video games.

#29 Edited by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@Trevorisamazing said:

George A Romero made a movie where a zombie was able to shoot a gun. Day of the Dead I believe it was called. A fucking zombie outgunned a military officer, forget brainless survivors, forget idiots who can't make the right decisions, forget whiny women, forget inept incompetent women who do nothing but scream or fuck everything up, forget the moron who always lets the zombies in..this was the most fucking moronic thing I have ever seen in a zombie movie to date, and I have seen a lot of fucking moronic zombie movies.